shape
carat
color
clarity

My custom setting and honest opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 3:34:03 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Boom - can you put a stop payment on the check?

I always been able to overlook Leon's cocky attitude, but the last line in that e-mail really bothers me because it is a personal attack. I am sorry you are going through this. I showed the e-mail to my BF (who knows about Leon's attitude) and he was upset too. He said he doesn't mind the fact that he has opinions about his work that sometimes differ than the client, but that his statements were crossing the line.

My dream engagement ring is a Leon ring, while I have not taken it off the table (please don't flame me, it is hard to let go of the ring I have wanted for over a year) I am going to start exploring alternatives.
Ditto on the first part and maybe contact the BBB? I am so sorry;
7.gif
you do not deserve to be treated like that. There are no excuses for that behavior.
I also want to thank you for posting your experience on PS.

BlueSea

Rough_Rock
Boom, I also agree with many others that there''s no excuse for such mean behaviour. I''m with you a 100%.
I''ve also admired this group of PS''ers - you are such a nice, warm, caring group of people that I feel very privileged to be part in!!!
26.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/26/2009 3:40:40 PM
Author: smitcompton
Hi,
No I do not work for Leon nor do I come from another planet. It shows how we can interpret things differently and have different aims in what we say. Boom, Leon stated he liked you. I do think he was trying to insert a little humor while making his points to your complaints. I have learned about Leon from this board and all have said he is arrogant, so what did you all expect him to do. I see, he should have said , yes I will remake your ring, yes I will tweak it, all before Boom has seen it.
No, I can''t see it. People, she attacked him. He is defending himself. I''ll bet its more than he does for most by answering her-mail . I don''t want to upset her any more than you all have done already.

To call him the ring nazi, please. His work is in demand, he is sought after and so can pick & choose what work he wants.
He certainly could be more agreeable when dealing with peoples complaints, but the emotional outburst of a young woman encouraged by this group also leaves much to be desired.

Use him ,don''t use him. But don''t tell someone how awful their ring looks from a photo. You people wont even give an approximate value to a stone from a photo, but Leon M work you can judge from a photo.

His insults weren''t as bad as you think. . I am not sure, but I think English may not be his first language.

I doubt the ring will look good to you anymore Boom I am sorry for that, really. I tried to be more upbeat in my previous post so that maybe you could salvage something out of this. I don''t do group think.

Thanks,
You are entitled to your opinion, but there is no need to insult many of the people in this thread that are trying to help and be supportive of Boom.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
No I do not work for Leon nor do I come from another planet. It shows how we can interpret things differently and have different aims in what we say. Boom, Leon stated he liked you. I do think he was trying to insert a little humor while making his points to your complaints. I have learned about Leon from this board and all have said he is arrogant, so what did you all expect him to do. I see, he should have said , yes I will remake your ring, yes I will tweak it, all before Boom has seen it.
No, I can''t see it. People, she attacked him. He is defending himself. I''ll bet its more than he does for most by answering her-mail . I don''t want to upset her any more than you all have done already.

To call him the ring nazi, please. His work is in demand, he is sought after and so can pick & choose what work he wants.
He certainly could be more agreeable when dealing with peoples complaints, but the emotional outburst of a young woman encouraged by this group also leaves much to be desired.

Use him ,don''t use him. But don''t tell someone how awful their ring looks from a photo. You people wont even give an approximate value to a stone from a photo, but Leon M work you can judge from a photo.

His insults weren''t as bad as you think. . I am not sure, but I think English may not be his first language.

I doubt the ring will look good to you anymore Boom I am sorry for that, really. I tried to be more upbeat in my previous post so that maybe you could salvage something out of this. I don''t do group think.

Thanks,
Look, I did not call him the first time to ask him to remake the ring. I had concerns about the ring and I had hoped he''d address them before it was shipped out.

And please stop repeating that he said he liked me in his email, did you read what came after that?

Also I am no young woman and I''ve never been called emotional. I have admitted I was in this instance and that is very unlike me. If you call what I wrote in my email "an attack", what would you call his?

English isn''t my first language either but I got his insults loud and clear. You bet he put effort into composing that reply.

The truth is, I''m over my disappointment. It''s a lesson learnt and this won''t be my last ring, only with Leon. And yes, it''s just a piece of jewelry, we do all have more important things in our lives.

I''m not going to discourage anyone who wants their dream setting from him. He does good work. But it''s important to know that things can go wrong and that he will try to change his story as he suits him. I remember reading that he denied telling CrookedRock that a ring insert was a good idea after he forgot to put it in there. Also, there is an airline in my asscher halo. It''s in the work order and I louped it for for maybe the second time since I got the ring. It''s there.

So, if one can deal with Leon if things go wrong, and its a risk you''re comfortable taking, then by all means put everything in the work order (just be aware he might accuse you of micro-managing him) and wait the 6 to 8 weeks for the completed ring.

LtlFirecracker - I can only hope that Leon will execute your e-ring (if you go with him) to perfection and that there will be no issues. I am not going to stop the check although others have advised me to consider that option as well. But I just want to get the ring and close this chapter.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Boom,

Yes I agree working with Leon can be like walking a tightrope. I will let my boyfriend make the final decision on Leon, as he would be the one working with him. I want a fairly simple design so I don't feel like I have as many details to worry about.

You are totally right, this is just a piece of jewelry and there are things that are far more important. I only suggested the stop check as an option since earlier posts implied that you had none since you could not pay with a credit card. No one had suggested it, so I thought I would put out there. I probably would not have done that if I was in your position.

I am still interested to see what you think of the final product when you get it.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
hrmm...personally I would stop the cheque, based on the rest of the thread.
But that is your decision Boom - I can also understand the desire to actually check it out in person and have closure.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 5:15:56 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Hi,

Thanks,
You are entitled to your opinion, but there is no need to insult many of the people in this thread that are trying to help and be supportive of Boom.
I find this highly insulting and presume that you are in the same boat with Leon. This is Boom''s thread and she can write as much as she wants to. If you don''t want to hear any more, then stop reading and STOP POSTING! You say you don''t do group think....well, then DON''T DO GROUP THINK!
38.gif

Lori

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Thanks,

Annette,

I am really surprised and shocked at this reply you wrote, especially coming from you.

Linda

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Boom,
I'm glad to hear that you are over your disappointment and are chalking it up to another learning experience! I really hope you get the ring and fall in love with it. However, I'd understand if you wouldn't be able to enjoy the ring because of your bad experience. Good luck!

I wish everyone could be a little more polite when expressing their feelings. We may not agree with eachother, but that doesn't mean we have to be rude or judgemental.

ETA: Please don't think I'm trying to imply anything about anyone with my last statements! I never know how my comments come across, it's hard to understand the tone of a post sometimes!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
At this point, Leon''s behaviour, right or wrong, is moot. What''s important is that Boom has decided to "let it go" (cliched, I know) and to "move on." That''s difficult and I admire her for being able to do so. Can we please stop excoriating either party, as it''ll do no good?

Smitcompton,
Boom is an ex-schoolmate of mine and a level-headed,understanding, person.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2009 4:11:00 AM
Author: Harriet

Boom is a level-headed,understanding, person.
ditto. Huge hugs Boom.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boom I'm sorry. I honestly laughed at his reply myself! It really seems like a joke. You know what it reveals? Its called defensive self-esteem. Narcissism. There was no reason to degrade you in his response, no reason to go out of his way to make fun of you. I honestly don't care how emotional you came accross in your e-mail -- which to me seemed very calm and honest -- he is the business person and has a responsibility to be professional.

I will admit that the distance shot on the hand is really beautiful. Is it what you wanted? No. Is he the rudest man around? Yup, in the top 5 probably
2.gif
But the ring looks lovely. I think it is possible that in time you could love it for what it is, without expectation, and to be honest, it is a funny story to tell in some ways! His e-mail is one of the most over-the-top, ridiculous things I have ever read. The fault is his, not yours, and sometimes it is better to laugh at other people than to take them seriously and let them hurt our feelings.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boom, I have been wearing a ring for 2 years now that is not what I asked and I have found many things to like and enjoy about the ring - even love. It may never be exactly what you wanted but it can be good enough and even better than good enough. I''m sure that if you don''t ever speak a word of your disappointment, no one else will ever know anything other than that it is beautiful :)

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, I was lurking in this thread and uncloaked because that was one crazy email that he sent. It will help present and future PSers make up their minds. My jaw was pretty much on the floor by the end, and I''m still trying to pick it back up.

I am sorry for your troubles with Leon and glad that you are moving forward. I know you are thinking of taking your mahenge out after you receive the ring. Perhaps you might want to put the setting on the market afterwards since its ruined in your mind, and then you can recoup some of the losses, and someone else can have the Leon Mege setting without the drama. Plus this way you don''t have to get stressed looking at it.

Hugs and well wishes,
litebrite

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I just read this thread and I have to think we are all so lucky this gentleman is a jeweler and not a plastic surgeon. Can you imagine what that would be like? Welll Uhmm Doc I saw the pictures of my new cleft chin and my new Mole but I really just wanted some work on my eyes. I know the bandages aren''t off yet , but still that is really not what I wanted. "Silly girl, you will look fabulous with the new mole and cleft chin. Besides you did not say you did not want a cleft chin and a mole. "When the bandages are off you will send me flowers."
20.gif

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Boom-

First off I'm so sorry you are going through this. I completely understand it when you say the ring is ruined. It doesn't matter what it looks like- it is the fact that you went through all this with leon and ruined your experience, expectations etc... I was actually going to contact him today about redoing my engagment ring- but now I have no interest. I don't care if he pulls off masterpieces better then the mona lisa. I just have zero interest in doing business with someone who treats customers like that. I would much rather give my money to someone who will understand my vision with me.

As someone already stated "DON'T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU."

I do hope you contact your bank. They can help you with the check situation and get your money back.

Goodluck.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 7:59:05 PM
Author: LisaRN
Wow! I just read this thread and I have to think we are all so lucky this gentleman is a jeweler and not a plastic surgeon. Can you imagine what that would be like? Welll Uhmm Doc I saw the pictures of my new cleft chin and my new Mole but I really just wanted some work on my eyes. I know the bandages aren''t off yet , but still that is really not what I wanted. ''Silly girl, you will look fabulous with the new mole and cleft chin. Besides you did not say you did not want a cleft chin and a mole. ''When the bandages are off you will send me flowers.''
20.gif
Oh dear, can you imagine what a nightmare that would be?!
3.gif

(I have to admit I laughed pretty hard at this post though. You made a good--and valid--point. This would not fly in other professions....)

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Boom I hope you forget about this thread quickly and enjoy your ring. It may not be exactly what you envisioned but I suspect it will be very beautiful in any case and something you should be proud of. Don't let the critique of some maginified pictures influence what your eyes see IRL.

My questions are as follows:

1) Does Leon have a No Return Policy on Custom Work Once Sent Out?
2) If the customer is unhappy what is their recourse if any?
3) If you don't have a clear case of deviation from the work order will Leon fix the customers complaints or issue a refund?
4) Have there been cases were Leon issued a refund or did a remake on a custom piece and for what reasons?

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
I sincerely hope that you love the ring and the problems that you saw in the pictures are minute enough that it isn''t noticable.

((HUGS))

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 1:13:56 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

Boom I hope you forget about this thread quickly and enjoy your ring. It may not be exactly what you envisioned but I suspect it will be very beautiful in any case and something you should be proud of. Don''t let the critique of some maginified pictures influence what your eyes see IRL.

My questions are as follows:

1) Does Leon have a No Return Policy on Custom Work Once Sent Out?
2) If the customer is unhappy what is their recourse if any?
3) If you don''t have a clear case of deviation from the work order will Leon fix the customers complaints or issue a refund?
4) Have there been cases were Leon issued a refund or did a remake on a custom piece and for what reasons?
CCl,
who are these questions posed to?
I can tell you:

1. Yes, it says on his site. No return on custom full stop.
2 and 3. no one can really answer but Leon
4. He is remaking one custom that I know of currently - others may know of more.

To be honest, I doubt Boom would want to answer these questions even if she knew the answers. Kinda rubbing it in, kwim?

If you would like general info (not from the OP), I would suggest a new thread - or better, asking LM.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Boom, thank you for sharing your experience with us. I can only imagine how harrowing this has been for you. I hope you are able to get some enjoyment out of the ring when it arrives.

As for Leon, that man is a monster.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 12:05:38 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Date: 9/29/2009 7:59:05 PM
Author: LisaRN
Wow! I just read this thread and I have to think we are all so lucky this gentleman is a jeweler and not a plastic surgeon. Can you imagine what that would be like? Welll Uhmm Doc I saw the pictures of my new cleft chin and my new Mole but I really just wanted some work on my eyes. I know the bandages aren''t off yet , but still that is really not what I wanted. ''Silly girl, you will look fabulous with the new mole and cleft chin. Besides you did not say you did not want a cleft chin and a mole. ''When the bandages are off you will send me flowers.''
20.gif
Oh dear, can you imagine what a nightmare that would be?!
3.gif

(I have to admit I laughed pretty hard at this post though. You made a good--and valid--point. This would not fly in other professions....)
Actually Plastic Surgery is another area where people are very often disappointed by the final product because it isn''t what they *imagined* it would be. Patients have to be counseled from the beginning to have lower expectations AND some patients are refused if the doctor thinks they have unrealistic expectations.

Also, a fairer comparison would be ..."The bandages aren''t off yet but I thought my eyelid would be 1/2 a mm HIGHER than it actually is -- please perform the surgery again. THX".

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boom, I just wanted to say, I''m so sorry for what you''ve gone through with this ring. It should have been a MUCH more positive experience for you, and the ring should have been EXACTLY what you wanted. I''m so sorry that didn''t happen.
7.gif

And I think Leon is right about one thing: I think you SHOULD sent him a gift when you get the ring. You should send him this.
11.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2009 1:07:31 AM
Author: Boom

Hi,

Thanks,
Look, I did not call him the first time to ask him to remake the ring. I had concerns about the ring and I had hoped he''d address them before it was shipped out.

And please stop repeating that he said he liked me in his email, did you read what came after that?

Also I am no young woman and I''ve never been called emotional. I have admitted I was in this instance and that is very unlike me. If you call what I wrote in my email ''an attack'', what would you call his?

English isn''t my first language either but I got his insults loud and clear. You bet he put effort into composing that reply.

The truth is, I''m over my disappointment. It''s a lesson learnt and this won''t be my last ring, only with Leon. And yes, it''s just a piece of jewelry, we do all have more important things in our lives.

I''m not going to discourage anyone who wants their dream setting from him. He does good work. But it''s important to know that things can go wrong and that he will try to change his story as he suits him. I remember reading that he denied telling CrookedRock that a ring insert was a good idea after he forgot to put it in there. Also, there is an airline in my asscher halo. It''s in the work order and I louped it for for maybe the second time since I got the ring. It''s there.

So, if one can deal with Leon if things go wrong, and its a risk you''re comfortable taking, then by all means put everything in the work order (just be aware he might accuse you of micro-managing him) and wait the 6 to 8 weeks for the completed ring.

LtlFirecracker - I can only hope that Leon will execute your e-ring (if you go with him) to perfection and that there will be no issues. I am not going to stop the check although others have advised me to consider that option as well. But I just want to get the ring and close this chapter.
I''m sorry that you are going through this. I agree with some posters that you should see the ring first, you might still like it. The bad experience will be forgotten as time passes and what''s important is that you enjoy the ring for how it looks and perhaps let it remind you of how sweet and supportive your hubby has been over this incident rather than his poor customer service.

With regards to the comment above, I think if you have to loupe it to see the airline it is not an airline. There will be a gap if it is prong set. There will be no gap only if it is bezel set.

I''m not trying to defend LM, I''ve never used him and is unlikely to because I am not in the US. It does make a jeweler''s job easier if we are very specific about what we want and do not want. For eg, did you clarify with him what a "split 4" shank is (does it mean to split the first 4 diamonds on the shank? If yes, then he has stuck to what''s agreed on the work order for the shank), what size melee to use, the type of prongs, how the shank is likely to look for it to match the "marina band" etc. I understand that it may not be possible for a jeweler to get the halo to fit the gemstone perfectly if a customer were to insist on a certain size melee with a certain type of setting. Generally when I have a halo, I leave it to the jeweler to find the best size melee to match the gemstone so that the fit will be perfect, airline or not. That said, if whatever you have communicated doesn''t work well, he should have communicated that to you to manage your expectations.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I came to this post through the Hangout and I read through every last reply because I had always hoped that some day I would own a Leon myself. I have since changed my mind, not only because of this post, but because of many just like it that have come before.

Boom, I am so very sorry for the heartache and lost nights of sleep this man has caused you. I thank you very much for hanging in here with this thread because you have helped more of us make a decision about using or not using Leon than you''ll ever know. I completely agree with AJ, there are no words to describe how I feel about how Leon has treated you, what he has said to you and what he has written to you in email. I hope for your sake, you can feel some peace at the end of this process somehow.

I for one, will never own a Leon. I know that now and I don''t feel badly about that anymore. I just couldn''t tolerate his arrogant snarky remarks pointed at me. I could never hand over creative reign of my project to anyone else, I don''t care who that person is, and my hard earned, hard saved for money is much too valuable to me to feel that it''s money lost.

I feel for you Boom and I am so very sorry for what this horrible person has put you through. I don''t care how famous he thinks he is.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2009 1:54:59 AM
Author: loriken214
Date: 9/26/2009 5:15:56 PM

Author: tourmaline_lover

Hi,

Thanks,

I find this highly insulting and presume that you are in the same boat with Leon. This is Boom''s thread and she can write as much as she wants to. If you don''t want to hear any more, then stop reading and STOP POSTING! You say you don''t do group think....well, then DON''T DO GROUP THINK!
38.gif

Lori

Smitcompton- How the heck would you figure out that Boom is a ''young woman'' from reading her posts? Most young women I know can''t afford large spinels and Leon Mege rings. Therefore, I''m assuming you mean the word young not to refer to her age, but as a condescending way to make her points seem less valid. If you want to attack an argument, attack an argument. Attacking a person isn''t necessary or effective.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Eeek! Boom, I just read this entire thread, and this is my worst nightmare realized. I know that I have put Leon up on a pedestal and I haven't even worked with him! Just like you, I know I would only work with him for a dream ring and the results would be very, very important, but this completely changed my mind. Not that it is any consolation, but your experience will save me the potential to be in your shoes someday, and he will also be losing my future business. So thank you.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boom, I''m curious what you think of the ring if you''ve now seen it?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2009 12:46:05 PM
Author: Boom

Date: 9/23/2009 12:31:53 PM
Author: Allison D.
Boom, finished reading and some things make more sense now.

Since you provided Harriet''s ring as an inspiration and hers has an airline, I can see why he presumes you want an airline and would need you to specify otherwise if not. If you showed me a picture of a blue car and said ''I want a car like this'', I''d presume you wanted exactly what was pictured unless you expressly said ''I want a car just like this *except* I don''t want it in blue, I''d like it in red.''

While the photos do make the airline seem uneven, it sounds as though you haven''t seen the ring in person yet. Can I gently suggest that you see the ring in real life before making any conclusions? Over the years, I have found that photos tend to unnaturally emphasize details that appear far less significant in real life. Oftentimes, that''s due to the angle at which the photo is taken. A still shot of something isn''t wholly representative of what it looks like in 3D in person.

I can''t even tell you how many times we''ve had clients be alarmed by a detail or two in a photo that turns out to be non-issues when they see their pieces in person. If he''s heard your concern and asserted that the airline is even, I''d give the benefit of doubt long enough to at least see it in person yourself. I''m hoping you''ll be pleasantly surprised.
I asked Leon for a split shank halo ring of which he has several on his website. I used Harriet''s ring to explain to Leon that I wanted smaller stones in the halo so that the proportion of my ring would look more like the Tiffany rings. Even this part of my request was not followed.

This ring that Leon made looks different from Harriet''s ring. The airline of course, but also the split (hers is much deeper) is different.

I am prepared to see the ring first of course, but it''s complicated because I don''t live in the US and also Leon has already stated this setting is IT for my stone. There is no recourse for me.

I''ll attach a side by side shot of this ring and Harriet''s.
I had looked at this pic awhile back, and do see the difference but wanted to note back then as others have that Harriet''s stone is larger than yours. So in order to have the split start in the same "area" of the ring (scalewise), it simply would close up quicker. To have the longer split, it looks like he may have had to split it more where the shank meets the head. Also, the halo melee looks bigger again because your stone is smaller.

Interesting lesson to be learned, that when wanting a ring you see in his portfolio, size/scale is important!

I do hope this ring is still something that might redeem itself in your eyes, and if not that something can be done about it. Hope you are feeling better!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooh boom - I just came back to this thread, and I didn''t read all the replies, but there is soooo much going on, and I wanted to just let you know that I have been thinking of you and totally agree with Harriet''s you being so level headed and understanding. I''m sorry this has happened, and hope you have a better and positive experience elsewhere *HUGS* And you are right, it is just "another" piece of jewelry , however I would hate for you to see the piece everytime you wear it reminding you of this negative experiece - but it is still beautiful nonetheless even though it is not what you had envisioned
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results