shape
carat
color
clarity

My Custom AVC project is about to begin!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely! I really love and appreciate my AVR and would love to have an AVC, too! It will be worth the wait!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lainey! :wavey: I'm really excited for your project and can't wait to see your AVC!

I think the other person may be me 8) . I'm just starting the custom process with Jonathan now and my specs are very similar to yours. I requested the color range to be H, I, or J. As far as the K color, I've never seen anything lower than an I in real life, so I go back and forth on whether or not a K will be okay for me. Sometimes I think I could do it, and then other times I think it'll be too warm. I know the old cuts have a certain charm in warmer colors, so I just don't know!!

I'm happy to hear that Varna will be able to use your gorgeous setting with your new AVC!! What great news! :appl:

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations JDDN! :appl:

I look forward to seeing yours as well! Has Jonathan told you he's found your rough yet? What are your exact specs? Do you have your setting? Feel free to share!

It is interesting about a K, because virtually all the stones I have seen on line have been very white. However, I recently bought myself an AVR .89 VS2 K and it is like all the pics you see (no florescence) faces up white 98% of the time, but occasionally it is SUPER WARM - and it usually happens around sunset. I am putting it in a pendent, so I love all it's colors and its personality, but I do wonder - and I mentioned this (as DS knows :) ) in a different posting, if people would "color shame" such a warm colored diamond in an eRing. Most people are so conditioned to believe that a "good" diamond is supposed to be ice white and anything other than that is "bad." I personally believe that a hint of warmth in these vintage stones is GORGEOUS, so I didn't want an F or G, but specifically opted for H/I. A "J" will be borderline, but with the florescence, or so I am told, I should still be in the happy zone.

DS, your comment on loving florescence...tell me more on why? I would love to learn more on your thoughts. Phosphorescence would be cool :) Also, if you don't believe it will take it "up a notch in color," why else do you like it? Do you think, florescence has the capacity to make a "J" look more "I" colored? Thanks for your thoughts!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Lainey, I'm super excited about all this. ::) As far as I know rough has not been located, but I believe Jonathan has asked Yoram to start looking. My specs are: 2.20-2.40 carat, H,I,J color, VS clarity, and fluorescence up to medium. I also like a less elongated AVC. My thoughts on the warmth....In an old cut it just adds to the charm and personality from what I have seen in photos and video. There's something about the chunky facets and the chunky light return in a warm stone that is so beautiful. But like I said, I've never seen anything lower than an I in real life, so it's really hard for me to know how I'd feel about a K. I included J because I thought H-J was a reasonable range. I have a MRB that's an E, so I guess it satisfies the super icy white diamond desire, lol. But the old cuts are really unique and not many people have them. Already, owning an AVC will put you in a "having something different" category as far as an e-ring goes, so my thoughts are to just rock whatever color you love. If it's a K, L, or M, then embrace the warmth and wear it with pride. You can't get a K or lower diamond and hope it behaves like an F or G because it won't, if you know what I mean. If you like the chameleon affect of the K looking white in certain lighting, and then warm in other lighting, then I think it could be a magical choice. It's all about what makes your heart sing and ain't nobody can take that away from you!!

I've been having a lot of fun following your journey and your excitement is contagious! Can't wait to see your custom cut!!

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
JDDN,

Your post just made my day!!! You have such a way with words.

You're right about whatever makes your heart sing. I honestly am the one that every birthday and every Christmas my husband asks what I want and I literally say, "something romantic like a love note or I don't know, I don't need anything...." We are celebrating 8 years together this Monday and suddenly since January, I am up to my eyeballs in love "singing" with these antique diamonds, making up for all the gifts i passed up on all these years!!! ha ha Poor guy, talk about a bait and switch! Actually, he's so sweet, I think he's almost relieved as he has a watch thing (addiction) and my new diamond addiction gives him a solid release of his secret guilt. LOL

May I ask...is this a new ring for you or a revision/upgrade?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaineyRod|1458938167|4011057 said:
DS, your comment on loving florescence...tell me more on why? I would love to learn more on your thoughts. Phosphorescence would be cool :) Also, if you don't believe it will take it "up a notch in color," why else do you like it? Do you think, florescence has the capacity to make a "J" look more "I" colored? Thanks for your thoughts!

I think fluorescence is an amazingly beautiful natural bonus! I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't love a stone that glows in UV lighting! Most will glow a lavender blue, but there are many other colors of fluorescence as well! I wish I could tell you it is bad so I could have your rough! ;)) But I wouldn't do that! :lol: The color grade is apparently graded with the presence of some degree of UV in the lighting, and some say that the color grade might be elevated due to that (which could be seen as a potential disadvantage). But regardless, the color grade is the color grade. If it's graded I color, it is going to look like I color. Rarely are you in the presence of UV lighting unless you work in a night club or something, so really, a diamond would not often have the opportunity to look whiter than its true color. Even my stone with strong blue fluorescence had very subtle glow in the sun. Most would not realize it. But with the UV light in partial darkness, it had a wonderful glow.

Here's a really good article on fluorescence:

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

Seriously, if I ever have Jon cut me an AVC, I would ask for fluorescence.

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
Oh DS!

I didn't realize. How exciting! This rough has "medium to up to strong florescence" and like you, any blue, esp. glowing blue is BEAUTIFUL! WOW, one more thing to look forward to :love:

For me, my biggest problem is going to be getting over MYSELF and my own excitement to say no, if it is not exactly what I want - as I went into this clearly paying and ordering a custom stone in an effort to get as much. Plus, I just got this news, but this rough is planned to yield a diamond as large as 2.5 carats - hence my concerns about containing my objective excitement! :appl:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lainey,

Wow, I have a feeling this is going to be a very special stone for you!! My excitement for you grows by every post ::) . You sound like you've had something really special coming your way for a long time!

To answer your question, this is sort of a do over on my e-ring. It's a long boring story, but after many iterations of rings/stones, I finally convinced DH that an antique cushion (but specifically an AVC) was the diamond I had been longing for all along. I have a MRB that I am keeping and am working on setting it in a classic 3 stone which I've always wanted. I'll likely set the AVC in a solitaire. I figure they will be different enough that I'll get use and wear out of both. I've never aspired to have 2 e-rings, but it just may satisfy my bling OCD and prevent any more wild rides, lol. I too have a habit of forgoing gifts since I never usually want anything, but like you, these stones have me out of my mind, lol. DH isn't into watches, but he's a gadget/techy geek, so luckily he has a "hobby" too!!

:wavey:

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
Good morning JDDN!

Not a long, nor boring story! In fact I went into your previous posts about your center stone and found your experiences and worries about what people will think about size, etc...EXACTLY my worries. And BTW, to all my jean and t-shirt wearing PS'ers who think a 1.5 - 5 carat diamond just might be too fancy. Well between all of you and me...I don't think there is anything more (sexy, shhhhh) and pretty!!! Do remember, I am an eclectic kind of girl however, so I LOVE the jeans and T with the surprise ROCK bling! Throw in a ponytail and I will want to be best friends! That's not to say that I don't love my super cute dresses, but my daily uniform is the aforementioned or University of Florida sweats and t-shirt around the house as I am a proud Gator mom of a UF freshman. Go Gators! LOL

Suffice to say, I am very excited for you too and looking forward to seeing how your stone and eventual ring turns out!!! I would love to see pics of your current ring too. Are they posted somewhere? I am still learning how to find things and navigate :wall:

So I have been researching around and today I found a Tacori prong (gosh they are all getting really big and bulky - perhaps I was ahead of my time! geeshe) Anyway, I'd love everyone's thoughts and opinions because I always learn something new and find something to consider. Plus you all keep me occupied while I wait...and wait....and wait! :loopy: So, I like this Leon Mege prong tip that I've previously posted because it is lower profile. I would not keep that little faceted bump on it, but smooth it out. But then I found this Tacori prong this morning with the milgrane detail. It is congruent with the whole prong, but the prong then becomes more noticeable - and while pretty, is that something that is wanted/preferred with an AVC? Of course it is all preference, but I welcome all your thoughts and ideas!!! :dance:

screen_shot_2016-03-06_at_2.jpg

screen_shot_2016-03-02_at_4.png

screen_shot_2016-03-27_at_10.png

screen_shot_2016-03-27_at_0.png

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
final pic of the tacori as I could only add 4 pics/post :naughty: I just wanted to show the profile. I wish I had so many pics of the Leon Mege, but I don't :)

screen_shot_2016-03-27_at_1.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pave all the way to the top of the prong is just asking for maintenance problems (broken stones, lost stones), in my opinion. I definitely would not have stones going up that high. Prongs are to hold the diamond securely, and I don't think they should attract attention away from the center stone.

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
Thanks DS,

You are speaking to my gut instinct on this, plus I really respect your opinion as you have very timeless and elegant taste :love:

Jon & Yoram were kind enough to send me pics of the rough yesterday!!! So here are the pics.

screen_shot_2016-03-30_at_3.png

screen_shot_2016-03-30_at_5.png

screen_shot_2016-03-30_at_6.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

Wow!!! So exciting!!! :love: :appl:

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
LaineyRod|1459097255|4011714 said:
Not a long, nor boring story! In fact I went into your previous posts about your center stone and found your experiences and worries about what people will think about size, etc...EXACTLY my worries. And BTW, to all my jean and t-shirt wearing PS'ers who think a 1.5 - 5 carat diamond just might be too fancy. Well between all of you and me...I don't think there is anything more (sexy, shhhhh) and pretty!!! Do remember, I am an eclectic kind of girl however, so I LOVE the jeans and T with the surprise ROCK bling! Throw in a ponytail and I will want to be best friends! That's not to say that I don't love my super cute dresses, but my daily uniform is the aforementioned or University of Florida sweats and t-shirt around the house as I am a proud Gator mom of a UF freshman. Go Gators! LOL

So funny! I threw on jeans, a long white t-shirt, and a SoulCycle hoodie today to take a walk with a friend. Looked in the mirror and worried (for about a nano-second) that my pendant, studs, and 1.5 ct e-ring were a bit too much for such a casual outfit. Then realized I loved it and didn't care one bit what anyone else thought!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Lainey, the photos of the rough are SO cool!! Thank you for sharing those! Isn't the whole thing fascinating? I'd love to watch the stone being cut :read: .

I just saw your other post about whether or not I posted my ring. I actually got a 2.3 carat MRB and I felt it was too big!! My suspicions were right in the thread you read. Actually it wasn't necessarily too big, but I didn't like the way I felt wearing it around. I don't know why, but a larger AVC will be just fine with me! Back the 2.3 went and I'm working on setting my 1.6 MRB in a 3 stone which isn't finished. I will post photos of it when it is though. I thought about posting the 2.3, but since I didn't end up keeping it I decided not to. I'm also oddly shy about posting photos, which is strange because I loooove seeing other's rings and jewelry. I will post the three stone and my AVC when it's finished, I promise! 8)

Oh and I think a smooth finish of the prong tips without pave will be perfect and elegant cradling your gorgeous AVC.

So exciting!! :appl:

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
WhooHooo Wildcat!!! My kind of girl!!! :appl: :wavey: :appl:

Hey JDDN, it would be great to see some cutting pics! I asked Jon tonight how long it would be still, but he's got to ask Yoram. I keep reminding myself that the "journey" is part of the fun! :dance: So you didn't keep the 2.3 MRB but you are getting a 2.4+ AVC? I completely understand because I am out of my mind with these August Vintage cuts - I keep telling Jonathan I'm feeling dizzy! LOL :loopy: Even my husband is now recognizing them from a mile away in the pics when I turn my computer around to show him some of the photos on PS!!! He's a quick learner!!! LOL :appl:

Thanks for your thoughts about the prongs! I am getting so excited as I am visualizing this and can't wait to have it all come together.

JDDN, you HAVE to post pics!!! I have come to realize in reading all the posts here on PS, that this is really the only place in most of our lives where we can be free to squeeeeeel and share with unabashed excitement about our diamonds and pretty jewelry because in our real lives we have to act like normal, modest people and oft times we have to switch out our stones quietly so as not to be off-putting. So I want to see!!! Do share!!!! :pray:

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
Latest pic from Jonathan hot of Yoram's diamond block :appl:

20160331_165139.jpg

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
We are getting there!!!! Three more progress pics from Jon & Yoram today!!!

gog-447_process-04.jpg

gog-447_process-05.jpg

gog-447_process-06.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lainey, how fascinating and totally cool!! Thank you for posting these photos!! ::)

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
JDDN|1460044661|4016572 said:
Lainey, how fascinating and totally cool!! Thank you for posting these photos!! ::)

Thanks JDDN,

Any updates on your diamond? Or your round diamond project? :love:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh...I'm pretty sure no rough yet :wink2: , but I've waited a long, long time....so what's more time I guess! I have to admit it's hard to wait 8) .

I'm still waiting on side stones for my 3 stone, but I think I'm closer to choosing a setting. I swear, choosing a setting is harder than finding the perfect stone! I envy that you'll be using your gorgeous e-ring for your AVC. No waffling and trying to make up your mind, lol.

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Hi LaineyRod and JDDN!

If you ladies wouldn't mind sharing, were you able to negotiate the price of your custom cut diamond? (If others have experience with custom cutting, please chime in as well!) Thanks for sharing! I love the progress photos and can't wait for the reveal!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can tell you now that there is no negotiating the price of custom cutting an AV stone in the sense that one might do with stones in stock. It is based on the price of the rough and a minimum expected outcome. It is not like buying a stone in inventory that the vendor may or may not have some room to discount the stone in order to sell it.

JDDN, that was funny that you said you had tried a 2.3 mrb and didn't feel comfortable. Your situation is fairly identical to mine! I love my 2.3 ct AVR so much, but I really don't need a diamond that big to wear around in my daily life 95% of the time. I also have a 1.65 ct mrb that I am thinking of using in a three stone ring, as well! I just haven't decided on diamonds or maybe rubies for the sides. Have you decided on a setting?

Lainey, a 2.4 AVC is probably going to face up a little smaller than a 2.3 modern round just due to greater depth on cushions.

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
Thanks DS, I was literally searching for the answer to that question over the last couple of days - i.e. how do the same carat size cushions vs rounds compare visually face up. So thanks for the info and for reading my mind!! LOL

Skhii - DS is right again. The custom cut approach is tackled completely different. When I began my search, Jonathan (at GOG) didn't have any AVC's in stock in the size and price and color I wanted. He had a 1.75 in an H for ~$18K and a 2.10-ish in a D for like $63K and I wanted a 2.10+ H/I/poss J, VS in the low/mid $20K range.

So with a custom cut, I asked Jon if he could find a diamond for my budget, he said yes and that was it. So Skhii, my recommendation to you is to have your budget and your (reasonable) diamond wish and propose it to Jonathan (if you can't find in his stock). He will tell you what your budget can or cannot buy and from there you can decide where you may want to concede or upgrade :love:

The thing that makes the process so great is GOG and Jon have a GREAT reputation and so it's not like buying a used car and feeling all edgy. I feel like I can trust him/them implicitly. Even right now, the stone they are working on for me has a small percentage of being a K color, which I don't want. If it does turn out to be a K (be still my impatient heart!) Jon will either keep this diamond for his inventory or he has another client in mind who may want it. Regardless, he will cut another for me and I am in great hands and totally comfortable knowing that in the end I am going to have an insane AVC on my finger :appl:

BTW, no I am not getting paid for this - but a'hem, Jon? LOL! Just kidding!!!!! :dance:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
Dancing Fire|1460136539|4017007 said:

OMG Dancing Fire!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: Thanks for attaching those links, I think I just saw glimpses of heaven!!! Your diamond is just gorgeous! Congratulations to you as well.

I actually went back to see how much florescence my diamond is predicted to have....They said it is "medium +/possibly strong" when it was still in its original rough state. Yoram is being very tight-lipped :shhh:, probably because I am scratching at his (via Jonathan's email door) every few days begging for clues about it :pray:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaineyRod|1460137711|4017029 said:
Dancing Fire|1460136539|4017007 said:

OMG Dancing Fire!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: Thanks for attaching those links, I think I just saw glimpses of heaven!!! Your diamond is just gorgeous! Congratulations to you as well.

I actually went back to see how much florescence my diamond is predicted to have....They said it is "medium +/possibly strong" when it was still in its original rough state. Yoram is being very tight-lipped :shhh:, probably because I am scratching at his (via Jonathan's email door) every few days begging for clues about it :pray:
Nothing to worry about...Jon will not sell you a stone with negative effects. To give an idea here is my wife's MRB with no fluor vs my VSB Octavia under the sun.

img_11364.jpg

img_11365.jpg

img_11366.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No difference indoor.

img_11367.jpg

img_11368.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaineyRod, I would like to thank you for sharing your journey.. it's amazing to see start to finish with a stone.. your stone is going to be perfect and I can't wait to see the finished ring.. thank you again!

peace.

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Tekate, I appreciate your kind words :)) BTW, your pendant is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! Perfect in every single way and I hope you are still getting random compliments everywhere you go :love:

Dancing Fire, that is some AMAZING :lickout: bling on that finger!!! I read your octavia journey and it was inspiring to say the least!

Everyone's input and shared excitement makes this process even more exciting! I am fortunate to have found you all - today I made my 50th post :lol: I'll qualify for Vegas next year!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results