shape
carat
color
clarity

My 4 carat Graff engagement ring

hammy123

Rough_Rock
Hi lovely Pricescope community! I just wanted to share with you some pictures of my new Graff 4.03 carat round brilliant with tapered baguettes e-ring. I’m a size 5.5. Do you think it looks like a 4 carat ring? I ask because when I saw it in the store, it was in a halo setting making it look much bigger of course. I didn’t want a halo setting but preferred this simple setting I now have it in. But the problem I have now is that I feel I already have Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome because I initially saw it in a halo setting that made it look much bigger! I feel it looks more like a 3 carat now instead of a 4 carat.

Here are the specs:

Size: 4.03 carats
Colour: E
Clarity: VVS2
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

Attachments

• B41888F5-66B1-430D-8B3D-96EF5769D7F4.jpeg
    B41888F5-66B1-430D-8B3D-96EF5769D7F4.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 3731C84F-7FCA-455D-8433-ED9C931C3B03.jpeg
    3731C84F-7FCA-455D-8433-ED9C931C3B03.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 48DF377C-AAFC-4C4F-8ADB-5A467CE4DD4D.jpeg
    48DF377C-AAFC-4C4F-8ADB-5A467CE4DD4D.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 133
  • B547C4FC-13A7-4717-B455-3FE3435923CC.jpeg
    B547C4FC-13A7-4717-B455-3FE3435923CC.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 8B87EBCD-7A22-4B29-B38A-3AAF19529F81.jpeg
    8B87EBCD-7A22-4B29-B38A-3AAF19529F81.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 134

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement! It's a lovely ring and the stone looks very, very big. Most people won't have an idea if 3, 4, 5 or whatever carat. They will just think: HUGE! I honestly can't imagine the stone in a halo setting. It might just be too much. You'll probably be much more comfortable with the simple setting.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 3ct ring and a 6.5 finger. Your ring does NOT look like a 3 t stone. SIGNIFICANTLY larger.

Congrats on this lovely new piece!

ETA I'm with Roselina here - that diamond on your size finger in a halo? Too much.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whoa, that is a whole lot of sparkle and it has a definite presence on your hand! :lickout: Congratulations on this beautiful ring, and please share stats when you have a chance!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!! It looks beautiful (and big) on you!

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful. Looks like a 4 carat to me.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
YES!!! That definitely looks 4cts! Absolutely gorgeous ring from Graff!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! It’s beautiful

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!! Amazing.

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is pretty and certainly packs a punch!! I second @kgizo’s suggestion RE smaller baguettes. Congrats on your honker :D

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It totally looks like 4 carats to me. The center looks BIG. I love BIG. Congratulations! I know Graff has gorgeous diamonds. It may help if they scale down the side stones. They can make any changes for you right? If the baguettes were more tapered and a little bit shorter, maybe more angled, they may emphasize your center stone more. Right now, the sides, being the size and width they are, are pulling my eyes away from the center, not that you could miss that huge gorgeous icy MRB in the middle.

Here are some examples of shorter, more tapered baguettes, that are set at more of an angle so the center stone is emphasized more.

With the amount that you are spending, I am sure they can hunt down any side stones, or even custom cut them for you, and make the ring exactly to your liking. I think your center is huge. But if you are honesly looking for another 1-2 mm in size (which is what a delicate halo would have added) you probably should consider a larger stone. Good luck! Can't wait to see where this goes.

Btw, I just saw your earlier e-ring, and it has those lovely complementary side stone proportions. Can Graff create the same iteration with similarly proportional sides, with just a larger center?

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Holy moly! That is so very pretty. It looks amazing on your hand. Do you wear a band with it?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Looks 4 carat BIG to me.

cheers--Sharon

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring definitely looks like a 4ct. I think sometimes, we are always looking to improve, perfect, etc. Don't let DSS take away your joy. Enjoy your ring! It is gorgeous and fabulous!!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It definitely looks large. I personally find the side stones distracting - I agree that a smaller set would look more proportional to your center. I also took a gander at your old ring - the proportion is much better. Alternatively, have you considered a solitaire? I think part of the problem may also be the size of the sides - they add bulk and may also add to the impression that the diamond appears smaller.

I will reiterate, that diamond takes up the majority of finger space, so it definitely does not look small!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I also wear a 5.5 size ring but my diamond is 3.63 ct. Yours definitely looks like 4 cts, I just agree with the others that say the baguettes are the problem. If they sat lower then the optical illusion that they are the shank of the ring would stop tricking the eye that the center stone is smaller. Here's a crappy pic of mine. 20210121_175627.jpg

ellekay

Rough_Rock
It absolutely looks its size. I'd have believed you if you'd said it was 5 carats (though my eyes aren't nearly as discerning as many here). I absolutely love a tapered baguettes setting (it's what I have!), and I agree that your sides are stealing a bit of your rock's thunder. But honestly, it's ginormous and gorgeous and icy and rare. And if you love the sides as is, don't let us change your mind!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It definitely looks large. I personally find the side stones distracting - I agree that a smaller set would look more proportional to your center. I also took a gander at your old ring - the proportion is much better. Alternatively, have you considered a solitaire? I think part of the problem may also be the size of the sides - they add bulk and may also add to the impression that the diamond appears smaller.

I will reiterate, that diamond takes up the majority of finger space, so it definitely does not look small!

Good point! Maybe lose the side stones altogether. If I looked at the same stone in two different settings, solitaire or with the sides you currently have, I'd think the solitaire setting made the stone look bigger.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg! Wow! That is a big stone! Yes—it does look like a 4 carat! I would keep it as is bc the baguettes complement the stone but don’t steal its thunder. It’s a classic style for a reason—it lets the stone be the center of attention!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
It is spectacular and looks huge. Where in good health. Lucky Lady

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Hi lovely Pricescope community! I just wanted to share with you some pictures of my new Graff 4.03 carat round brilliant with tapered baguettes e-ring. I’m a size 5.5. Do you think it looks like a 4 carat ring? I ask because when I saw it in the store, it was in a halo setting making it look much bigger of course. I didn’t want a halo setting but preferred this simple setting I now have it in. But the problem I have now is that I feel I already have Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome because I initially saw it in a halo setting that made it look much bigger! I feel it looks more like a 3 carat now instead of a 4 carat.

Here are the specs:

Congrats on your huge icy white rock! I agree with others that it looks like its carat weight. A halo would have been way too big for that. Glad you didn’t keep the halo setting. It’s beautiful as it is with or without the baguettes.

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock

Here are the specs:

Congrats! Looks like 4ct to me. Here’s a pic of me with my friend’s 4ct solitaire as a comparison. I’m a size 5-5.5. I think a solitaire might make the center stand out more if you’re looking for a bigger look!

D74ED139-C7B1-412C-AEF9-DCCD5C8FE650.jpeg

hammy123

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for all of your replies!! Here's a picture of my wedding band with it as well as my old Harry Winston e-ring with it (2.23 carats, but that was a size 5 since my fingers have since swelled since having kids). I don't know, I guess I just expected the 4.03 to look a lot bigger than the 2.23 carat but now with your valued insights, I can see that it may very well be the baguettes that are causing the problem? The HW baguettes are indeed different - I just never noticed it!! Thank you for your observations that pointed out that the HW baguettes are more tapered and shorter whereas the Graff baguettes are less tapered and longer. Is that what you mean by the "proportions are better"? Do I just ask the lovely Graff folks to measure the HW ring proportions and apply it to my ring?

Also, my wedding band is Harry Winston size 5 but now a bit small after 2 kids. How do jewellers increase the size of a full eternity ring? Do they add another small diamond? Is it possible to do nicely?
2D8E30AF-642E-469C-A558-A3D0A0AF3654.jpeg

Attachments

• E2BBE75C-4FD4-4517-AF52-544E6F22EA9A.jpeg
    E2BBE75C-4FD4-4517-AF52-544E6F22EA9A.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 7C64FBC1-9D6F-42FF-B7F3-DFBBE878BF9B.jpeg
    7C64FBC1-9D6F-42FF-B7F3-DFBBE878BF9B.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 43BA4984-712E-4289-909E-247D9A047C6B.jpeg
    43BA4984-712E-4289-909E-247D9A047C6B.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 46

hammy123

Rough_Rock
Then I also think maybe it’s fine as is and I should just leave it alone!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, the eternity can't be adjusted - you would have to get a new band.

Yes, that is what we mean by better proportioned. The HW baguettes taper more and end where you can still see part of the band. That's not the case with your Graff. Certaintly having more tapered baguettes may make the setting appear more balanced.

But honestly, it's up to you! If you like it, then leave it alone! If you are curious, I'd go and look at a 4 carat in solitaire or if they have another 3 stone with baguettes that are more tapered or your old ring so that they can see about adjusting your setting. Either way, cheers to the lovely upgrade!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, maybe live with it a little while, and you'll be fine.

But if you're not, what's the exchange period? I assume the sale is final. Will the charge you once you're out of the exchange period if you want a different setting?

I think a solitaire will allow it to POP, like the pic that @LoveMeDo posted. But if you are wanting a tapered baguette setting, then yeah, you will need to have them bring in other sides for you to approve. The length on each side is just jutting out over the adjacent finger and the metal seems a bit heavy where the baguette ends. The jutting out and thickness is distracting. Can you discuss the setting directly with a designer? This rock has got to be at least $150-$200K, and this is the setting they propose? (I saw a gorgeous 2 ct, H VS1 at Graff, and they were asking $58K.)

It just kinda kills me that Graff would create a setting like this. I've been to Graff a few times, and a lot of the settings are lovely, and sleek. Why would they create one with this length of sides for your finger size? I am sure your rock is a killer. 4 carat E VVS2. But the setting is not doing it justice. I'm sure it would look much more proportional on a size 7-8 ring.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
One other thing to note, doubling carat weight does not translate to doubling the face up size. A lot of the diamond's weight is under the table, so it takes quite a bit of carat increase to look bigger, especially when you get to larger diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results