shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My 3.55 OEC in ERD RG/WG solitaire

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
My lord. It's amazing. The setting is also exquisite. What a masterpiece!

Do you mind if I ask how much the setting cost?

Julescott

Rough_Rock
Your ring is an inspiration,and one of the prettiest I've ever seen with its simplicity and elegance. Congratulations.

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you almondblossom, JulieN, pregcurious, whoanelly,

angeline - ha ha! I have had many de-lurking moments on PS. I am flattered my ring inspired you to do so!!!

jimmianne - wow! I'm flattered. I have thought that so many times looking at the beautiful rings on PS.

Hera - thank you thank you!!! You are always the voice of reason, knowledge AND you have exquisite taste! Thank you for all your help!!!

diamondseeker - well, I finally listened to you! :lol: I do really prefer my M color diamond in a white metal head. Thank you for all your help and insight!

misskittycat - thanks! I love your solitaire setting but I totally understand the feeling that it's lacking something. I just LOVE bands and the solitaire gives me so many options. I am sure whatever you choose to do with your honker, it will be gorgeous!

dancingfire - ha ha!!! :lol:

gypsy - thank you for your help as well!!!

GemFever - OMGGGG!!!! I am so excited!! I ran around laughing and snorting. :lol: :nono: :lol: very undignified! :oops:

iota - I can't disclose the price online, but I will tell you that ERD is extremely reasonable!!! :D

julescott - what a lovely thing to say...thanks! I have been inspired by soooo many PS rings!!!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Oh. My.
lovely absolutely lovely
I saw a photo in as it it the jewel of the week.
Don't have words for the work of art you had created. Wear in in good health.
:)

snibo

Rough_Rock
Val, your ring is absolutely stunning! Those fluid lines are a work of art! And the OEC makes it even more special.

May I ask you if the ring was hand forged? I am asking because from what I know ERD typically works in cast, but the curves of that head are so dainty, they look like hand forged! I hope you don't mind me asking, as I would like to consider ERD for my next project. Either way your ring is absolutely enviable.

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
snibo|1393725603|3625562 said:
Val, your ring is absolutely stunning! Those fluid lines are a work of art! And the OEC makes it even more special.

May I ask you if the ring was hand forged? I am asking because from what I know ERD typically works in cast, but the curves of that head are so dainty, they look like hand forged! I hope you don't mind me asking, as I would like to consider ERD for my next project. Either way your ring is absolutely enviable.

snibo, hi :wavey: and thanks!!!

The ring is actually CAD/cast. I am shocked at how delicate the head is. They have truly amazed me! Good luck to you and I would definitely recommend ERD. I just can't say enough about them!!!

snibo

Rough_Rock
Wow, I'm truly impressed! Wear it in happiness and good health!

Totalpak

Rough_Rock
OH MY GOD, it's gorgeous!! Love your ring!!! I have a quick question tho. Is there a reason why they used the UWG head
instead of RG? I am in love with RG, i am thinking about re-setting mine to RG but wasn't sure if i should use RG head or not. Thank you in advance!

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
Yep. I still love it. Good job and I'm glad you love it.

Puppy4248

Shiny_Rock
That diamond is gorgeous and I am so in love with this setting - it's so classic, yet intricate and clean at the same time! No joke, I just stared at it for 5 mins straight just now haha. This is definitely one of my new faves on PS for sure. And your set is absolute perfection, so dainty and beautiful!!!! Congrats!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Totalpak|1393874209|3626575 said:
OH MY GOD, it's gorgeous!! Love your ring!!! I have a quick question tho. Is there a reason why they used the UWG head
instead of RG? I am in love with RG, i am thinking about re-setting mine to RG but wasn't sure if i should use RG head or not. Thank you in advance!

Hi Totalpak! :wavey: When I set this M colored diamond, I knew I wanted to use a white metal for the prongs/basket as I didn't want to add any color to the stone and I knew it was a possibility since that's exactly what happened when I set my previous M colored stone in all YG. Plus, I really love Haven's gorgeous ring and the flexibilty 2-tone gives you...ie. I can play with different colored metal stackers and they pretty much all look good with my e-ring. Chris and I discussed doing plated or unplated WG and decided on unplated because it would provide less contrast with the center stone. It would blend in. Unfortunately, I don't like the alloy ERD uses (personal preference) because it is very grey instead of being slightly warm (yellow). So, I will have it plated afterall. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Totalpak

Rough_Rock
That totally makes sense!! Thank you!!! can't stop looking at your ring!! hahaha

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1393637168|3625027 said:
WOW!!... :love: Can I have it?.. 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: DF, you never fail to make me laugh!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I came back to the thread after seeing this as the Jewel of the Week (WOW, how cool is THAT).

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! This is one stunning solitaire! I am in love with that graceful head! :love:

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Totalpak - glad I could help! I look forward to seeing what you decide to do.

Roxy - I know!!! So cool! :appl: I am flattered to have my ring chosen especially out of all the amazing stuff I see here on a daily basis!

Elysian - Thank you!!! I am in love with your AVR...especially the fact that it has a slight "pinkish" tone to it...gah, heavenly!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to come and take another look! Post some more pics since you rhodium plated the head! I'll bet it looks terrific!

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1394328922|3630247 said:
I had to come and take another look! Post some more pics since you rhodium plated the head! I'll bet it looks terrific!

+1 Yes, PLEASE post more pics when you get a chance!!

hassy_chick

Rough_Rock
WOW!! I LOVE the setting!!! Sooo pretty!! More photos, please.

missymoo

Shiny_Rock
So fluid...the setting is so beautiful! I love the diamond as well!!!!

ming

Shiny_Rock
Val, I absolutely love your setting! It's so delicate and barely there and really shows off your OEC. Sigh.

Hope you don't mind a question.

I still don't have an OEC yet (moving abroad and a million things to sort out before we go shopping) but your setting is one I have bookmarked as inspiration. I was wondering if, because of the size of your stone and the thinness of the setting, if you had a problem with it spinning? I won't be in the 3+ size OEC range but hope to be in the 2-3 ct size. I was thinking a larger sized band may help anchor it but I don't think I'd like a band larger than you are wearing since it would appear clunky. And thinner bands are less expensive so you could have more of them and wear more of them at the same time..... win-win :twirl:

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
ming|1404767288|3708381 said:
Val, I absolutely love your setting! It's so delicate and barely there and really shows off your OEC. Sigh.

Hope you don't mind a question.

I still don't have an OEC yet (moving abroad and a million things to sort out before we go shopping) but your setting is one I have bookmarked as inspiration. I was wondering if, because of the size of your stone and the thinness of the setting, if you had a problem with it spinning? I won't be in the 3+ size OEC range but hope to be in the 2-3 ct size. I was thinking a larger sized band may help anchor it but I don't think I'd like a band larger than you are wearing since it would appear clunky. And thinner bands are less expensive so you could have more of them and wear more of them at the same time..... win-win :twirl:

Hi Ming! :wavey: Thanks!

Good question. I have not had a problem with spinning....it stays put quite nicely. I am actually surprised that spinning isn't a problem. Rarely, when I'm cold and really hydrated (read...not swollen at all) my stone will flop to the side of my finger, but I think that would happen with any solitaire. I think it has more to do with sizing your ring correctly (and possibly that it is not set really high) rather than the structure of the ring...but I could be wrong there. I have truly grown to love this setting and can't really say a bad thing about it. The ring itself feels very sturdy and has held it's shape perfectly...maybe because where the shank pinches in towards the basket it actually becomes narrower but thicker so it looks more delicate than it is. Hope that makes sense. I will say that I don't think you NEED to but if you wanted to do a slightly thicker band (around 2mm) I don't think it will look clunky. That is still pretty dainty. Good luck finding your stone!!! It's such a fun search! ;-)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love solitaires and this ring is perfection! The setting, the diamond, too perfect

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Valmanin! Just wanted to let you know how much I LOVE your solitaire and to ask you about it more since I'm very seriously considering having a "baby Valmanin" made. ::) The flowy basket and delicate proportions are perfect, and so complementary to the romance of an old cut stone!

I'm looking for an OEC of between 2.25 - 3ct, and it's likely to be in the K/L/M/N color range. I've been in touch with Mark about this setting and he advised that I go with a rose gold basket instead of WG, because he thinks the contrast between a warm stone and the basket would be too great if it were WG. But I would think that a WG basket would help to brighten the stone and make it appear a little whiter, which I would welcome. Yes, the WG would contrast against the warmth of the stone, but does that bother you? What does your eye see? Since you've had both a YG and WG basket, I would love to hear a little more about what went into your decision to go with WG! Did you consider platinum at all? Have you had your basket plated and what do you think of it now? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks so much for sharing your beauty with us!

(how does it feel to have inspired so many with your gorgeous ring??)

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
KristyDarling|1404810578|3708810 said:
Hi Valmanin! Just wanted to let you know how much I LOVE your solitaire and to ask you about it more since I'm very seriously considering having a "baby Valmanin" made. ::) The flowy basket and delicate proportions are perfect, and so complementary to the romance of an old cut stone!

I'm looking for an OEC of between 2.25 - 3ct, and it's likely to be in the K/L/M/N color range. I've been in touch with Mark about this setting and he advised that I go with a rose gold basket instead of WG, because he thinks the contrast between a warm stone and the basket would be too great if it were WG. But I would think that a WG basket would help to brighten the stone and make it appear a little whiter, which I would welcome. Yes, the WG would contrast against the warmth of the stone, but does that bother you? What does your eye see? Since you've had both a YG and WG basket, I would love to hear a little more about what went into your decision to go with WG! Did you consider platinum at all? Have you had your basket plated and what do you think of it now? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks so much for sharing your beauty with us!

(how does it feel to have inspired so many with your gorgeous ring??)

Hi KristyDarling! :wavey: First of all, I am so flattered by your comments. :D Your OMB halo (along with Meg's RG version from ERD) had me truly torn between going cushion halo or round solitaire for a good 6 months. :lol: Lucky you, you don't have to chose! :appl: As for inspiring, I feel like that's the great thing about PS! I have been inspired and educated by this wonderful community....I mean, Haven's ring still haunts me. :lol: So, gosh, again...thanks...so flattered.

So, hmmm...I am surprised Mark is recommending a RG basket (not that it wouldn't be lovely). It has been my experience that colored metal adds to the warmth of the lower colored stones...at least in an open solitaire mount. I wonder if a halo would be different where there are 2 levels of contrast with the melee and metal or a bezel where you are enclosing it altogether.

I decided (at this time) to not have the basket plated. I realized (after studying the basket through a loupe) that it's not the metal itself that looks grey, but rather the finish around the melee. It is as if they tried to give it an antique flair and didn't polish the metal in those areas so it has a slight patina which I'm not crazy about. Just personal preference as I imagine many of the antique lovers on this forum would like the look. I don't find a contrast at all with between the stone and the UWG. Infact, it's just the opposite. The unplated WG actually blends perfectly with the stone giving it a "barely there" feel. I haven't plated it because I'm afraid it would then have a stark, bright contrast. I have truly grown to love and appreciate all the aspects of this ring including the UWG which is incredibly subtle. I plan on talking to Chris about polishing the basket, but I have been so busy and it is such a small problem at this point.

My stone is GIA M and looks several shades whiter than my last OEC (EGL M set in YG) in all lighting environments. The color used to bother me occasionally in my last ring and it never bothers me with this one. I love it! After my last experience, I would be very nervous to set a lower colored diamond in colored metal unless I really wanted to play up the color. From what I understand it could go either way.

The whole look of my ring is soft, subtle, romantic and flowy from the metal colors to the shape and I think ERD did a masterful job creating the look. Their 18k RG is perfect for me (although I'm not sure if you wanted a colored metal) because it is very soft...not brassy or harsh...and it plays nicely with 18k YG (which is what my eternity band is), any white metal and even 14k RG.

I hope I answered all your questions! Please let me know if there is anything else? Good luck with your project!!! I can't wait to see what you decide.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Val! Thanks so much for your thoughtful explanation. It helps A LOT. ::) I think we have very similar mindsets about OECs -- I love the romance of their candlelit color, and I'm totally fine with some warmth but not too, too much! That's why the choice of basket metal matters to me, and I'm grateful to hear some rationale from a fellow color-sensitive person. Also, it's good to know about the unpolished metal around the melee -- something I might bring up if I were to move ahead with ERD on this ring.

One last question (thanks for bearing with me!): How do you think this setting would look with a stone in the L/M/N range but entirely in platinum? Would the contrast between the warm stone and setting be too great? Like you said, a lot of people with warm OECs put their stones in intricate/halo/bezel settings, which can help to "camouflage" the warmth. But in your very open and exposed solitaire setting, there's nowhere for warmth to hide, so I wonder if all-platinum would be advisable. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thank you again!!! :love:

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
KristyDarling|1404858396|3709260 said:
Hey Val! Thanks so much for your thoughtful explanation. It helps A LOT. ::) I think we have very similar mindsets about OECs -- I love the romance of their candlelit color, and I'm totally fine with some warmth but not too, too much! That's why the choice of basket metal matters to me, and I'm grateful to hear some rationale from a fellow color-sensitive person. Also, it's good to know about the unpolished metal around the melee -- something I might bring up if I were to move ahead with ERD on this ring.

One last question (thanks for bearing with me!): How do you think this setting would look with a stone in the L/M/N range but entirely in platinum? Would the contrast between the warm stone and setting be too great? Like you said, a lot of people with warm OECs put their stones in intricate/halo/bezel settings, which can help to "camouflage" the warmth. But in your very open and exposed solitaire setting, there's nowhere for warmth to hide, so I wonder if all-platinum would be advisable. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thank you again!!! :love:

Gosh, I'm certainly no expert and I wish I had played with my stone near some platinum before it was set so I would have a better idea. So, I'm just guessing here, but I'll give it a shot. ;-)

First, I find there is a big difference between GIA L and GIA N. To me, with an old cut, GIA L faces up pretty darn white and could probably handle a platinum prong solitaire setting provided it is a good cut. Fortekitty has an L and it looks very white in a platinum solitaire. So does Missy. I would feel very comfortable setting a GIA L OEC in platinum prong setting just from their testimony and pictures.

Fortekitty's:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-amazing-holy-grail-9-9mm-oec.178975/page-6

Missy's:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/l-is-for-so-in-love-with-my.185018/

I would feel pretty comfortable with a GIA M (mine) as long as it is well cut and you don't mind seeing a tad bit of color in profile occasionally. The UWG ERD uses has some palladium in it so it's not really yellow. It may be more like platinum (although I would need to look at my platinum e-ring tomorrow to confirm). So, yes I think all platinum would work. Although there is something about the RG shank that subtly ties in with the warmth of the stone. I really like how the RG pulls it all together, but I don't think it's necessary. My current diamond has some fluoro too...not sure if that helps, but I do feel like it looks whiter in the sun than my last M. You also have to be prepared to pair it with a plain band or very thin eternity. Honestly, anything bigger than the thinnest eternity shows too much bright white and makes my diamond look more tinted by comparison.

If color bothers you I would stay away from the N in the platinum prong setting. I fell in love with an O/P that was set in a very intricate platinum halo and it looked to be in the J/K range, but once it was out of the mount it was clearly tinted. So it is possible for platinum to make a stone look whiter, but my hunch is exactly what you mentioned above, the setting camouflaged the color somehow. Of course, there are always exceptions and I'm sure there are N OECs that would look amazing in a plat. prong solitaire. I am only speaking of what I would be comfortable with.

I can take some pictures of my ring next to my original plat E-ring if that would help???

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Oh have mercy! that diamond, that ring! Epic.

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
I realized I haven't updated any pictures lately. The first few are with my new 18k YG eternity band. :D

20140708_181209.jpg

20140708_183649.jpg

20140708_181015.jpg

20140708_180427.jpg

20140708_180419.jpg

20140422_110347.jpg

20140422_110312.jpg

20140422_105527.jpg

20140422_105454.jpg

20140422_105434.jpg

20140207_114923.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Valmanin, you are KILLING me with these pics!!! PS needs a "died and gone to heaven" smilie!!!

Your ring **** is making me super-anxious to hurry up and get one of my own already! But, I'll try my best to follow your example and be patient. If you can wait 9 months, so can I! lol. Your diamond is so, so, so perfect! It's super fiery with amazing facets, faces up totally white yet has that secretive OEC hint of creaminess only from certain angles. Such romance! And thanks for the links to ForteKitty and Missy's stunning rings…proof that L color OECs look perfectly at home in a platinum solitaire. I agree your stone would also look lovely in platinum, but I (and everyone else!) adore your RG setting. I think the RG is very much in keeping with the antiqueness of the stone, they just "go together," yanno? You could've told me that your ring is an untouched period original and I would believe you! So I'm still leaning toward going with your RG/WG setting. :love:

OK, you've given me excellent food for thought. I really appreciate your detailed, thoughtful analysis. Thank you, thank you!!! By the way, your new YG eternity band is gorgeous and goes perfectly with your ring! I love seeing how versatile your RG/WG setting is -- it plays so well with any color metal band!! :appl:

move1986

Shiny_Rock
the setting really compliment the stone well. very delicate looking :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results