shape
carat
color
clarity

My 2.72 transitional recut from MRB in DK setting

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
He really does have some great OEC. Your avatar OEC is my fave I've seen

the pastels this thing gives off are seriously insane, if you look a few posts after the one i posted (newer post), Alex posted my diamond and if you scroll to the last pic there is a video. i was literally standing in a sand pit wearing black with a black cell phone case and the diamond was just all pastel rainbows, it was so cool. I love it so much and now I love this new setting so i am contemplating switching the diamonds because i think i love the OEC more but love this setting more, LOL

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info @Inked !

chloe88

Rough_Rock
Premium
Here's a perspective
0IMG_2167.jpg

And here's the marks i was mentioning, not sure if its cutting marks ? you can see it in the dark center facets in this pic
0IMG_2187.jpg

Your ring is absolutely gorgeous.. drool worthy! It has so much more personality than a MRB. The clash caught my eye as well lol. Do you mind sharing what size this one is?

Love your diamond bangle too!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous facet pattern! I love it—well done and what a cool way to get exactly what you were looking for!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is absolutely gorgeous.. drool worthy! It has so much more personality than a MRB. The clash caught my eye as well lol. Do you mind sharing what size this one is?

Love your diamond bangle too!

the clash or the diamond? the clash is the small rose gold size 16. I bought the wrong size online initially (18 small) so i went to the store to exchange it for a 16 small and she accidentally brought me the 16 medium, i didnt notice, neither did she! It wasnt until she took them in the back to do the exchange that she came back and said she brought me the medium size instead of the small by accident. i didnt see a huge visual difference between the small and medium. T

If you meant the transitional diamond, it's 2.72 (9mm)

Last edited:

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous facet pattern! I love it—well done and what a cool way to get exactly what you were looking for!

thank you! I didnt really want to pay the premium for earth mined, and even if I did, transitionals are REALLY hard to find in that G H I color around 2.5 carats! i have been looking a long time and i only found one i really liked on Victor Barbone and it was $47k for 2.2ct - i just dont want to spend that much on ONE piece. Thanks again, you're jewels are to die for so thank you for admiring mine!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Can you show us both ? Side by side? I remember your other setting too and I love both settings! I can see why you’re having a hard time deciding.

OK, get ready for side by side overload. Of course it was overcast at 7am when I was trying to do the pics, but you'll get the idea!

I truly didnt realize they're kind of closer looking than i originally thought

Its hard in stills to get them BOTH to light perfect at the same time

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

inside
IMG_2844.jpg

SHOULDER WARS!
IMG_2855.jpg

IMG_2896.jpg

im not great with videos hope this works

....and then of course i get to work and the sun was out.
IMG_2893.jpg

thanks for looking!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowza! What a magnificent ring. :kiss2: I love both of them actually, and it was really cool to see the side by side videos.

Ps. That wreath band is killer.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I absofrigginlutely LOVE this! It's so cool.
Seamless in the stack, *chef's kiss*
Your transitional is cut exactly the way they should be as the bridge from OEC to modern brilliant. A slightly flatter crown and larger table is their hallmark and it is a beautiful example!
You have both, and yeah, I'm jealous. :lol:
I'm geeking out over the little tiny stars, I'm mad for stars, always have been :love:

chloe88

Rough_Rock
Premium
the clash or the diamond? the clash is the small rose gold size 16. I bought the wrong size online initially (18 small) so i went to the store to exchange it for a 16 small and she accidentally brought me the 16 medium, i didnt notice, neither did she! It wasnt until she took them in the back to do the exchange that she came back and said she brought me the medium size instead of the small by accident. i didnt see a huge visual difference between the small and medium. T

If you meant the transitional diamond, it's 2.72 (9mm)

Sorry I wasn’t clear! Thank you for the info on the clash :) it looks great with your love.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
LOVE. THEM. SO. MUCH. I particularly like the profile view.

I realize this is just opinion and preference but if I were FORCED to choose, the older setting (the one that you first had). Good thing you don't have to choose! I'm not sure it would be worth swapping out the stones but again whatever makes your heart beat faster :)

I edited my post bc at first I said "the one on the left but I realize that you are swapping them around depending on the photo haha).

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
W:kiss2:W is all I can say...

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
OK, get ready for side by side overload. Of course it was overcast at 7am when I was trying to do the pics, but you'll get the idea!

I truly didnt realize they're kind of closer looking than i originally thought

Its hard in stills to get them BOTH to light perfect at the same time

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

inside
IMG_2844.jpg

SHOULDER WARS!
IMG_2855.jpg

IMG_2896.jpg

im not great with videos hope this works

....and then of course i get to work and the sun was out.
IMG_2893.jpg

thanks for looking!

So much prettiness!! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What an interesting project you have undertaken here Inked! I love it.

It is really interesting to me how lab- grown diamonds have become so much more common and accessible in the lest few years since I was last on PS. And I can see a direct line from that shift to this wonderful accessibility of older cuts! As you saw with your recut, these old boys are more costly in terms of rough than MRBs so we aren’t going to see more availability of these transitionals in the general market. If I recall correctly, finding affordable diamonds to recut was one of the things that sort of killed the “new old cut” market for natural diamonds. But having access to lab grown MRBs means consumers can commission these cuts themselves. Maybe more retailers will offer them. I think that’s great because having an OG earth mined version of this cut (the facet pattern you used is uncannily similar to my stone) I know how special these cuts are.

BTW your OEC is a later style make and much closer to an MRB than an Old Miner, some might even call it an early transitional. So that’s why the two stones you have look so similar . They kind of are! But not entirely as your video shows.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Inked. Your original stone was beautifully faceted. Your recut and remount is INSANELY stunning.

Um. I’m struggling for words here. So pretty. Like, really really really pretty!! How’s that for an inadequate description? :lol:

But wait, you have both of those rings!? And you’re keeping both!? That is seriously just about my dream - two stones of similar size and slightly different patterning, getting to play with them and compare how they behave in-person in every lighting you want for as long as you’d like - OMG. Seriously. Lucky you!! :love:

I’m actually wondering if the different mounts would have differing effects on light return from each stone…

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
What an interesting project you have undertaken here Inked! I love it.

It is really interesting to me how lab- grown diamonds have become so much more common and accessible in the lest few years since I was last on PS. And I can see a direct line from that shift to this wonderful accessibility of older cuts! As you saw with your recut, these old boys are more costly in terms of rough than MRBs so we aren’t going to see more availability of these transitionals in the general market. If I recall correctly, finding affordable diamonds to recut was one of the things that sort of killed the “new old cut” market for natural diamonds. But having access to lab grown MRBs means consumers can commission these cuts themselves. Maybe more retailers will offer them. I think that’s great because having an OG earth mined version of this cut (the facet pattern you used is uncannily similar to my stone) I know how special these cuts are.

BTW your OEC is a later style make and much closer to an MRB than an Old Miner, some might even call it an early transitional. So that’s why the two stones you have look so similar . They kind of are! But not entirely as your video shows.

Thank you!!I LOVE your new project, CVB totally nails the aesthetic of making a modern looking piece look like an antique AND cool on top of it!

I agree - so many people recut their old cuts to modern so now it's harder to find actual old cuts. I will (eventually) get another diamond that is an actual antique. I do miss thinking about it's history and love the idea of it being an antique and 100-200 years old.

And - thank you for the education!! I dint realize my OEC (which is also lab by Alex Parks) was a later pattern and close to a transitional!! Probably why i loved it so much! LOL!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
@Inked. Your original stone was beautifully faceted. Your recut and remount is INSANELY stunning.

Um. I’m struggling for words here. So pretty. Like, really really really pretty!! How’s that for an inadequate description? :lol:

But wait, you have both of those rings!? And you’re keeping both!? That is seriously just about my dream - two stones of similar size and slightly different patterning, getting to play with them and compare how they behave in-person in every lighting you want for as long as you’d like - OMG. Seriously. Lucky you!! :love:

I’m actually wondering if the different mounts would have differing effects on light return from each stone…

Are you kidding me??!! YOU !!!??? OMG, you literally have the most enviable collection on here !!! So to me, that is just an insane 'wow' compliment, thank you. You have ALWAYS been soooo patient and helpful with helping me with questions, i appreciate your perspective and advice AND I cant even with your collection... For the record, it's YOUR FAULT i bought a VCA bracelet yesterday :lol: totally planned on telling you that when it comes (i did an online order, i cant get to NYC for a few weeks and my impulse control of waiting lost out ... LOL)

As for the setting light return, this is what i mean, i feel kind of dumb because I don't know. You are all so much more knowledgeable than I am on actual points that matter. I am just "Oh, shiny!" LOL

I will say I feel the OEC overall performs better, but not sure if it's just the lab diamond is 'better' or has anything to do with the setting. I wanted this one set way higher and i am finding myself wearing it more and I know it's partly because i like the 'higher' set of it.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I absofrigginlutely LOVE this! It's so cool.
Seamless in the stack, *chef's kiss*
Your transitional is cut exactly the way they should be as the bridge from OEC to modern brilliant. A slightly flatter crown and larger table is their hallmark and it is a beautiful example!
You have both, and yeah, I'm jealous. :lol:
I'm geeking out over the little tiny stars, I'm mad for stars, always have been :love:

I didnt realize it should have a flatter crown!! Thank you for telling me that because i was a little disappointed thinking it wouldnt perform as well. I love that you all know so much and teach me!

I am OBSESSED with stars... and i kind of felt like i wasnt sure if they really 'went' with the rest of the design, but I wanted them and you honestly cant even see them. Well, I mean, I cant at 50 years old without glasses... :geek2: LOL

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you kidding me??!! YOU !!!??? OMG, you literally have the most enviable collection on here !!! So to me, that is just an insane 'wow' compliment, thank you. You have ALWAYS been soooo patient and helpful with helping me with questions, i appreciate your perspective and advice AND I cant even with your collection... For the record, it's YOUR FAULT i bought a VCA bracelet yesterday :lol: totally planned on telling you that when it comes (i did an online order, i cant get to NYC for a few weeks and my impulse control of waiting lost out ... LOL)

As for the setting light return, this is what i mean, i feel kind of dumb because I don't know. You are all so much more knowledgeable than I am on actual points that matter. I am just "Oh, shiny!" LOL

I will say I feel the OEC overall performs better, but not sure if it's just the lab diamond is 'better' or has anything to do with the setting. I wanted this one set way higher and i am finding myself wearing it more and I know it's partly because i like the 'higher' set of it.

You're the sweetest!!

When does your bracelet come in!? Hurry up and get it, I want to see what you got :lol: I'm waiting on a VCA bracelet too, I just have to stay in one place for long enough to tell my SA where to mail the dang thing ;( That should be easier than it is...

I mean I think the oooh shiny is THE most important response!! Y'know? Something can be picture perfect but if it doesn't elicite that eyeball warm and fuzzy then it's just not the right match for you.I'm convinced. I've got a 3/4ct E CBI. It should be my holy grail. But I just couldn't ever fall in love with it. I thought maybe it was just a size thing... But then I saw a 5ct CBI and I didn't love that one either! My eyes just prefer a different flavour of modern round brilliant. Shrug.

Settings. I get it. Totally. I like a higher setting too. Like you though - high"er", not "high"!! For me the mount can totally change how I feel about a stone, too - I can be very meh about a stone that's perfect for me but that isn't set the way I like. For yours - maybe the mount wouldn't make any practical difference to light return... I'd love to see a video of both rings in different lighting types. I'm super super curious what you mean when you say that the OEC performs better - does it show up brighter? Or whiter? Or more coloured light return?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
In summary, wowza. faceting is TDF, i love them both.

~the end.~

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
You're the sweetest!!

When does your bracelet come in!? Hurry up and get it, I want to see what you got :lol: I'm waiting on a VCA bracelet too, I just have to stay in one place for long enough to tell my SA where to mail the dang thing ;( That should be easier than it is...

I mean I think the oooh shiny is THE most important response!! Y'know? Something can be picture perfect but if it doesn't elicite that eyeball warm and fuzzy then it's just not the right match for you.I'm convinced. I've got a 3/4ct E CBI. It should be my holy grail. But I just couldn't ever fall in love with it. I thought maybe it was just a size thing... But then I saw a 5ct CBI and I didn't love that one either! My eyes just prefer a different flavour of modern round brilliant. Shrug.

Settings. I get it. Totally. I like a higher setting too. Like you though - high"er", not "high"!! For me the mount can totally change how I feel about a stone, too - I can be very meh about a stone that's perfect for me but that isn't set the way I like. For yours - maybe the mount wouldn't make any practical difference to light return... I'd love to see a video of both rings in different lighting types. I'm super super curious what you mean when you say that the OEC performs better - does it show up brighter? Or whiter? Or more coloured light return?

I'll have to do a video, I think it's the pastels, I am not sure though because I second guess what i see all the time...

I got the white gold perlee signature, and i have to be honest, I dont love it stacked with what i have. I wanted to love it so much and in my head it was going to be perfect but I don't think it works. I think I am going to return it and get the Cartier etincelle

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful. I keep coming back to this thread to admire your beautiful old cuts.

itswolfology

Rough_Rock
Oh wow. This is absolutely stunning. Like to die for stunning. Do you mind sharing how much the recut ran you? I have a 3 ct MRB and was scouring the forum for someone who did this as I’d like to do the exact same thing! I can’t believe I stumbled across your post. How fortunate for my finger . Congrats on a gorgeous ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results