shape
carat
color
clarity

My 2.72 transitional recut from MRB in DK setting

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
As most of you know (because i havent shut up about it) I bought a 3 carat MRB Lab from Ritani and then had it cut to a transitional. I'm obsessed with old cuts and transitionals are my favorite. My grandma had a 1 carat transitional that i was given, and i have always loved the facet pattern.

I didnt worry too much about the stats when i bought it because i knew i would be re-cutting it, but I did get HPHT because @DejaWiz and @Kim N always say its the closest to natural diamond and it was IGI 9.33-9.37x5.59, 3 carat, G color VS2

IMG_0895.jpg

Sent it to Ashely at Southwest Diamond to recut and then sent to GIA and it came back as a GIA 2.72 F color VS1
So i guess it's not always that IGI grades more lax !
I really wanted a H color so i was a little disappointed that it was F but Ashely did an amazing job on the recut and I LOVE the facets!

I thought it was very little loss, from 3.00 carat 9.33-9.37x5.59 to 2.72 carat 9.02-9.04x5.45

I asked him for this facet pattern and i told him to cut as much as he wanted because i was looking for around 2.5 carat. The only thing i dont love is the crown seems kind of flat from the side view when i compare it to my OEC.

transitional-cut-diamond.jpg

And I think he nailed it!

swrecut_2558.jpg

For the setting I had David Klass make me a platinum setting, and I used this ring that @CHRISTY-DANIELLE posted as an inspiration

00IMG_1291.jpg

But i asked for diamonds on the shank and I wanted it set high and I asked for diamonds with stars on the donut

1DK 88116-QUAD-9.jpg

And here is the completed ring! I love it, i love how high it is set, i love my little stars, i love the facet pattern. I am very happy with it! I hope these pics arent huge

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2594.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2594.jpg
    IMG_2594.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
OH MY GOSH!! This is spectacular!! What a fantastic recut and ring!! Congrats to you :D

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been waiting for your reveal thread! Utterly fabulous in every way! :love: Those facets are something else.

springsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Wow this is absolutely stunning! Love everything about it!!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I've been waiting for your reveal thread! Utterly fabulous in every way! :love: Those facets are something else.

OMG, I was dying to show you but it was cloudy for days here and Im a CPA so i had the corporate tax deadline yesterday and was working 630am-930pm for the last few days LOL!

I feel like i have more trouble photographing this diamond than my other 2. In some pics i think i am seeing the setting behind the diamond??? because i only see it in pictures occasionally. I thought it might be cutting marks but i dont remember ever seeing it before it was set, i looked at all the pics and i didnt see it in those pics. It doesnt bother me in real life, I dont even see it with my eyes, just looks bad in some pics... I am not sure if it's cutting marks or the setting? I guess it doesnt matter, it is what it is. Also could definitely be dog slobber. I mean, I clean it and go to take a pic of it with the dog in the woods, but she cant hold her licker.

Last edited:

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Gah, I'm drooling over this! I took have been looking out for your reveal and now that it's here it does not disappoint. What a stunning piece!!

How do you decide which of your beauties to rock each day?! Enjoy @Inked!!!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Gah, I'm drooling over this! I took have been looking out for your reveal and now that it's here it does not disappoint. What a stunning piece!!

How do you decide which of your beauties to rock each day?! Enjoy @Inked!!!

OMG, its so hard... I feel like I like this setting better but my OEC diamond better, LOL! I have been randomly switching them. I need DK to actually 'fix' something on my OEC setting, i had him put a 'frame' around the diamond but I think i want it thinner. Amy said it would be no problem for them to shave it down so i am going to do that and then see which one i like better LOL

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a perspective
0IMG_2167.jpg

And here's the marks i was mentioning, not sure if its cutting marks ? you can see it in the dark center facets in this pic
0IMG_2187.jpg

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, its so hard... I feel like I like this setting better but my OEC diamond better, LOL! I have been randomly switching them. I need DK to actually 'fix' something on my OEC setting, i had him put a 'frame' around the diamond but I think i want it thinner. Amy said it would be no problem for them to shave it down so i am going to do that and then see which one i like better LOL

Haha, yes, I can totally image the trouble. They are both so beautiful! Glad they are both getting fair play and hopeful you'll love the other setting once it's fixed. For what it's worth, I just purchased a preloved DK, piece and their work is so beautiful. I'm sure it'll turn out wonderful and just as you imagined!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
As most of you know (because i havent shut up about it) I bought a 3 carat MRB Lab from Ritani and then had it cut to a transitional. I'm obsessed with old cuts and transitionals are my favorite. My grandma had a 1 carat transitional that i was given, and i have always loved the facet pattern.

I didnt worry too much about the stats when i bought it because i knew i would be re-cutting it, but I did get HPHT because @DejaWiz and @Kim N always say its the closest to natural diamond and it was IGI 9.33-9.37x5.59, 3 carat, G color VS2

IMG_0895.jpg

Sent it to Ashely at Southwest Diamond to recut and then sent to GIA and it came back as a GIA 2.72 F color VS1
I really wanted a H color so i was a little disappointed that it was F but Ashely did an amazing job on the recut and I LOVE the facets!

I thought it was very little loss, from 3.00 carat 9.33-9.37x5.59 to 2.72 carat 9.02-9.04x5.45

I asked him for this facet pattern and i told him to cut as much as he wanted because i was looking for around 2.5 carat. The only thing i dont love is the crown seems kind of flat from the side view when i compare it to my OEC.

swrecut_2558.jpg

For the setting I had David Klass make me a platinum setting, and I used this ring that @CHRISTY-DANIELLE posted as an inspiration

00IMG_1291.jpg

But i asked for diamonds on the shank and I wanted it set high and I asked for diamonds with stars on the donut

1DK 88116-QUAD-9.jpg

And here is the completed ring! I love it, i love how high it is set, i love my little stars, i love the facet pattern. I am very happy with it! I hope these pics arent huge

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2594.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

Oooh! I saw this on DKs IG and just loved the shoulders! I looked at this ring several times- go figure I like it so much. What a well done interpretation & personalization of the inspo. Really beautiful!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock

IMG_0895.jpg

swrecut_2558.jpg

00IMG_1291.jpg

1DK 88116-QUAD-9.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2594.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

Love the cut and the pastels!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful recut and what a fantastic setting! I absolutely love the shoulders.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg the recut is amazing!

bearycute

Rough_Rock
Oh wow this is beautiful. I think you’re going to start a bit of a trend of getting things recut!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a brilliant idea! And the outcome is really stunning! Congrats!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This came out amazing @Inked ! Love the very fat arrows! Do you know how big the lower halfs are (arrows)?

Love the setting too...quite majestic!

So, how big is the stone in your avatar? Is this a lab or an antique stone? Its also gorgeous! If its a lab, how did it come about?
Did you have it cut too?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Here's a perspective
0IMG_2167.jpg

And here's the marks i was mentioning, not sure if its cutting marks ? you can see it in the dark center facets in this pic
0IMG_2187.jpg

Can you show us both ? Side by side? I remember your other setting too and I love both settings! I can see why you’re having a hard time deciding.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh! I saw this on DKs IG and just loved the shoulders! I looked at this ring several times- go figure I like it so much. What a well done interpretation & personalization of the inspo. Really beautiful!

THANK YOU! thank you SOOOO much for posting that emerald, i am obsessed with the setting

Inked

Brilliant_Rock

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow this is beautiful. I think you’re going to start a bit of a trend of getting things recut!

LOL! I totally think this is the best way to get exactly what you want for a great price. Honestly, I wish Alex had more items because I love what he does, I was too impatient to wait for him to have more old cuts! LOL!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
This came out amazing @Inked ! Love the very fat arrows! Do you know how big the lower halfs are (arrows)?

Love the setting too...quite majestic!

So, how big is the stone in your avatar? Is this a lab or an antique stone? Its also gorgeous! If its a lab, how did it come about?
Did you have it cut too?

THANK YOU! I am really not sure about the size of the facets, i just gave Ashely at SW Diamond cutters the facet pattern i loved and he did his thing! I think it's probably a pretty standard transitional cut pattern which has those thicker facets

The stone in my avatar is 2.5 exactly, it's a lab OEC by alex parks, this was the link to it on his instagram (not sure if the link will work, i never tried to post an instagram link)

I bought it standard from Alex Parks, but he just randomly posts things, he doesnt usually post old cuts. Jon at distinctive gem does AMAZING old cut labs but at the time he didnt have anything as big as i wanted

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
LOL! I totally think this is the best way to get exactly what you want for a great price. Honestly, I wish Alex had more items because I love what he does, I was too impatient to wait for him to have more old cuts! LOL!

He really does have some great OEC. Your avatar OEC is my fave I've seen

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Can you show us both ? Side by side? I remember your other setting too and I love both settings! I can see why you’re having a hard time deciding.

I definitely will when i get home tonight! I am a CPA so i am working crazy hours right now, no time for fun!! LOL!! I want to send the original back to David to shave down the platinum "frame" around the diamond, it's a little bigger than I want so when i was holding them side by side the frame overtook the diamond and it looked bigger than the 2.72 from the illusion of the platinum! So i didnt take a pic at the time but I will tonight!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results