carat
color
clarity

My 2.29 ct AVR...Take 1!!!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="diamondseeker2006|

Thank you, Tourmaline! I will probably start having second thoughts hearing the nice comments on the AVR! You know, it can be hard to get everything you want in one diamond. I have tried and found it impossible! If I do sell the AVR, I have to be careful in choosing the new stone(s), because I really and sincerely would like to someday have rings that I will KEEP!!! If I think my 1.65 is too small (it will be here this week), I likely will choose one in the 1.8-2.1 range. If the AVR doesn't sell at this time, I'll still have a beautiful diamond, so I figure it will work out either way!

[/quote]

When/where did you purchase this 1.65ct ? .. :confused:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1442985480|3930768 said:
When/where did you purchase this 1.65ct ? .. :confused:

Hi, DF! I picked up a 1.65 mrb off of pre-loved a few weeks ago. It was a diamond bought by someone but never used for an e-ring. I just bought it to use for a three stone ring or something like that. I was just saying I could wear it temporarily (or long term) as an e-ring if I decide to keep the AVR for sale for awhile. It is actually close to identical to the first diamond I bought the first year I joined PS!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Diamondseeker

Just wondering if OEC's are cut with the taller crowns to get the small tables and are smaller in circumference than MRB's then is there going to be much difference between a 2.10 MRB and your 2.29, unless you are speaking about an AVR.

I think you should take your time and if it was me I would make up my mind offline without all the influences although well intentioned here. I remember someone saying on here one time that they believed we can love something online from pictures which we wouldn't necessarily buy in person in a store. I have found since reading that I am like that with some fashions, so have to rethink now. It is likely true with diamonds too and getting too much encouragement here. Although it is exiting for us all to read and see new Jewellery it is our own individual money so should be only our choice. Take your time, maybe an INDEPENDENT appraiser could help with going rates of diamonds with this price dip Garry Holloway was letting us know about. Your diamond with it's size and value may not be what they would recommend selling just now. I hope it works out how you want it to.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Pyramid! You are absolutely right that no one but me can determine my preferences like size, color, clarity, or diamond cut/shape! I am certain that the PS world is what drew me into that size range in the first place! But no blame to anyone but myself! I think I already said that I have ordered a few cz's to help me figure the size part out. If the AVR doesn't sell this fall, I'll probably take it back and wear it awhile and try again later when diamond prices are higher if I want to sell at that point (or I can do a buyback if I see something else I really want). Oh, and a 2 ct ideal cut round is about 8.1mm and this stone is about 8.4mm, so there definitely is a visual difference. The other AVR I almost bought was that size, and I think I probably should have bought it instead, other than the lovely apacherose bought and set it in a gorgeous setting, so it was clearly meant for her! However, I really think something like a 1.8 is all I'd want in a solitaire, or else I could make the 1.65 into a three stone ring. But no point in thinking too much now because I am not going to buy another round diamond until the AVR sells (other than maybe side stones for the 1.65). I follow diamond prices here on the diamond search pretty closely, but specialty cuts still are higher than generic diamonds or ideal cut rounds due partly to increased cost to cut and relative rarity. But we shall see how it plays out! Fortunately I do love the AVR, so it is not a disappointment if it doesn't sell at this time!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey there DS,

I saw your AVR on Preloved and was surprised. But after ready your concerns, post, comments I understand how you feel. I wish you a quick sell.

Your AVR is one of a kind as you know. As you mentioned you have been wearing your wedding band only for the past few months. You mentioned have 2 H&A for the price of the one AVR. You stated you want to have heirlooms for your daughters. The 1.65ct you purchased reminded you of h&a you had before you upgraded to the AVR. A smaller stone maybe what your heart desires. It sounds like your tastes have changed or evolved and you are realizing whats important to you. You should have a ring that brings joy and peace of mind not anxiety. I hope you don't mind me adding my 1 and 1/2 cents. ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ZestfullyBling|1443271470|3932051 said:
Hey there DS,

I saw your AVR on Preloved and was surprised. But after ready your concerns, post, comments I understand how you feel. I wish you a quick sell.

Your AVR is one of a kind as you know. As you mentioned you have been wearing your wedding band only for the past few months. You mentioned have 2 H&A for the price of the one AVR. You stated you want to have heirlooms for your daughters. The 1.65ct you purchased reminded you of h&a you had before you upgraded to the AVR. A smaller stone maybe what your heart desires. It sounds like your tastes have changed or evolved and you are realizing whats important to you. You should have a ring that brings joy and peace of mind not anxiety. I hope you don't mind me adding my 1 and 1/2 cents. ;))

Hi, Zestfully! :wavey: I think you are right on target! I think the AVR is a gorgeous, unique stone and I have sincerely enjoyed it! I may be one of the few people that also enjoys smaller stones and really does not have to have a large one to be happy. I happily wore a 1 ct for over 25 years! The AVR was perfect other than I really wanted G-H color, and I knew very well that I was going over my comfortable size range. That really didn't hit me until I didn't have the stone for a few months and I realized I just didn't have to have it. Just because I CAN doesn't mean I have to, you know? So far, I have two daughters and two tiny granddaughters, and I'd just rather have nice modest sized rings to leave all of them rather than one or two large expensive diamonds that might make their own e-rings seem small. I want the jewelry I leave them to be a reminder of how much I loved THEM first and foremost and not just how much I loved diamonds!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, what loving sentiment for your daughters and granddaughters DS. What a lovely journey you have had to discovering your heart's true desire. I applaud you! :appl: :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1443295252|3932157 said:
Aw, what loving sentiment for your daughters and granddaughters DS. What a lovely journey you have had to discovering your heart's true desire. I applaud you! :appl: :appl:

Thank you SO much, Bonfire! :))

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, I hope all your plans to out. I totally understand about planning for the next gen. Although my kids are so young I am already thinking about who will get what. Best of luck with finding the perfect stone(s) for all your lovely girls. I hope that a PSer buys your beautiful AVR.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1443345001|3932345 said:
DS, I hope all your plans to out. I totally understand about planning for the next gen. Although my kids are so young I am already thinking about who will get what. Best of luck with finding the perfect stone(s) for all your lovely girls. I hope that a PSer buys your beautiful AVR.

Thank you! You are wise to start thinking about it now...never too early! It is also great that you are collecting high quality, timeless pieces!

cora77

Rough_Rock
What a gorgeous stone and cutting job! It's like a spring-day carnival captured in a crystal :love:

My husband just bought me a .77 transitional cut (ebay) and I really expected this kind of light performance. (It's I VS1 like yours.) The center "petal" facets aren't as round as your stone's are, but are petals nonetheless. Larger, blocky facets all over give it that flashier look, like yours. But mine seems a bit quiet in the center when I look straight at its face. I didn't expect that. I still have about 2 weeks to return it if I want, but it does have a goodly amount of liveliness which makes me want to keep it. (You can see it here... [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/under-1ct-diamonds.25028/page-80']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/under-1ct-diamonds.25028/page-80[/URL] )

Do you notice this quiet center area with your AVR? I was wondering if we should have gotten an AVR...

I'm sorry to hijack this thread with seeking your advice. I just couldn't find a way to message you.

Thanks you and enjoy that amazing diamond in good health :)

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
cora77|1455134102|3989440 said:
What a gorgeous stone and cutting job! It's like a spring-day carnival captured in a crystal :love:

My husband just bought me a .77 transitional cut (ebay) and I really expected this kind of light performance. (It's I VS1 like yours.) The center "petal" facets aren't as round as your stone's are, but are petals nonetheless. Larger, blocky facets all over give it that flashier look, like yours. But mine seems a bit quiet in the center when I look straight at its face. I didn't expect that. I still have about 2 weeks to return it if I want, but it does have a goodly amount of liveliness which makes me want to keep it. (You can see it here... [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/under-1ct-diamonds.25028/page-80']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/under-1ct-diamonds.25028/page-80[/URL] )

Do you notice this quiet center area with your AVR? I was wondering if we should have gotten an AVR...

I'm sorry to hijack this thread with seeking your advice. I just couldn't find a way to message you.

Cora, all diamonds are different, and the light performance of a stone has nothing to do with color, and little to do with clarity unless the clarity is terrible. It's all about the angles (not the facet pattern). The AVR is a branded cut that maximizes light performance. It is unlikely that a random vintage diamond will perform like an AVR. AVRs are costly and magnificent. Your diamond is lovely, though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cora77|1455134102|3989440 said:

Welcome to PS, and thank you so much for your nice words about my diamond! It really is an unusual and beautiful stone. I had considered selling it earlier, but as I looked, I couldn't find anything else I liked as well!

Tourmaline said it well, old cuts generally won't have the cut and light return of an AVR. I think it takes a lot of looking to find a great one, but there are several people here who have persevered looking at stones and found really beautiful old cuts. My friend Bright Ice has an incredible (and huge!) one and I just saw it again this past weekend.

I can't tell too much about your stone from the pics although I don't see anything that stands out as wrong with it, either. But I will tell you this, a LOT of people might be interested in it because of the pink fluorescence...I know I would!!!! So you can see how you feel about it, and you can always sell it if you decide later that you want to find another stone or AVR. If an antique stone is larger, sometimes they can have a partial recut of pavilion facets to improve the light return, but I would not do it on a stone that size because you'd lose some weight. But enjoy that diamond because it is special in it's own way!!

cora77

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Tourmaline and Diamondseeker :) It's nice to have some feedback. This is the first antique stone I've spent much time with because I won it on ebay on 1-30. I saw a 30-day return policy by the seller and figured I had nothing to lose. We had it set in this basic Tiffany setting and I'm really glad because I can really see how it performs on my finger. (And I was playing with that loose stone too much!) My husband says it's really sparkly around the house, from a few to many feet away. It's lively in the house lighting, even though we tend to keep the house a little low-lit. Basically, he really likes it. However, he wants me to be happy with it, and will go with whatever I want to do.

I just don't know what to do. I doubt I could recover the money we spent on ebay by selling eventually. I got 2/3 what we paid for my .88 E SI1 Ideal MRB on ebay a couple years ago, and I was glad for it! I think the pink fluorescence is really neat too, but I just don't know what kind of draw that will have on most people. Ugh, I hate indecision. But that quiet center when I look straight at it bugs me so much...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cora, I have to say that if the center bugs you, I think you should return it. There are people here who have found good OECs on ebay, but some ordered and returned (or sold) many before they settled on "The One". If that turns out to be a hassle, start watching Love Affair Diamonds and Jewels by Grace as they sell OECs so they are somewhat pre-screened. I do not like every one I see and I would be very particular. It's worth it to get a stone you love! And that can include AVRs if that turns out to be what you love most!

cora77

Rough_Rock
I needed to hear that, DS - thank you. You really understand. I'll contact the seller on Mon. (May as well wear the ring over Valentine's Dinner ;-) )

I'll check the sites you mentioned. Happy Valentine's to you and your beloved!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Cora, and same to you! If you need any help at any point regarding choosing another stone, please post a new thread in Rocky Talky and we will be happy to help!

cora77

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I will!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
With sincere apologies to DS for this threadjack - argh, sorry, DS, I couldn't see any other way to reach Cora! :oops: --

Cora, please please consider listing it on PreLoved before sending it back to eBay to be lost to the sands of time (and possibly people who won't care about pink fluorescence). :pray: You could recoup your costs that way (even shipping, which you'd lose in the eBay return ;-) ). Or, at least, post a link to the auction & seller so those who are interested could try and repurchase it if it's relisted. A pink-fluorescence tranny is an incredible rarity and there are a small handful of us on here who would go nuts for such a thing... and, of course, it only takes one buyer. :) maybe post it on PreLoved/LoupeTroop and see if anyone bites over the weekend? If not, you can notify the eBay seller on Monday knowing you gave it a chance at being fully appreciated by a PSer.

end threadjack. thanks & sorry again, DS. I can't stop thinking about that stone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
evergreen|1455312610|3990287 said:
With sincere apologies to DS for this threadjack - argh, sorry, DS, I couldn't see any other way to reach Cora! :oops: --

Cora, please please consider listing it on PreLoved before sending it back to eBay to be lost to the sands of time (and possibly people who won't care about pink fluorescence). :pray: You could recoup your costs that way (even shipping, which you'd lose in the eBay return ;-) ). Or, at least, post a link to the auction & seller so those who are interested could try and repurchase it if it's relisted. A pink-fluorescence tranny is an incredible rarity and there are a small handful of us on here who would go nuts for such a thing... and, of course, it only takes one buyer. :) maybe post it on PreLoved/LoupeTroop and see if anyone bites over the weekend? If not, you can notify the eBay seller on Monday knowing you gave it a chance at being fully appreciated by a PSer.

end threadjack. thanks & sorry again, DS. I can't stop thinking about that stone!

Actually that is a great idea if her return period is long enough. If it isn't, she can still post a link to the new ebay listing on the Pre-loved forum here. I agree that people here would be interested. I would be personally interested except I just made a big purchase and need to ban myself from spending another penny for a few months!

erislynn

Shiny_Rock
Hi, DS! I love your profile pic and followed it to this thread. I couldn't believe as I read it that you were possibly letting go of such a cherry picked diamond. But in the end, whatever makes you happy is most important. If you're still deciding on your e-ring, I just wanted to put in my two cents about considering your daughters' tastes.

I inherited a ring from my mother which my grandfather originally gifted to her in the 60's. It's a 1.25 ct round H color diamond, pretty nice light performance. I value it dearly but not so much for its appearance. It could have drastically different specs and it would hold the same place amongst my jewelry. So I guess what I'm trying to say is this is YOUR e-ring, go for what makes YOU happy. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
erislynn|1455359958|3990474 said:
Hi, DS! I love your profile pic and followed it to this thread. I couldn't believe as I read it that you were possibly letting go of such a cherry picked diamond. But in the end, whatever makes you happy is most important. If you're still deciding on your e-ring, I just wanted to put in my two cents about considering your daughters' tastes.

I inherited a ring from my mother which my grandfather originally gifted to her in the 60's. It's a 1.25 ct round H color diamond, pretty nice light performance. I value it dearly but not so much for its appearance. It could have drastically different specs and it would hold the same place amongst my jewelry. So I guess what I'm trying to say is this is YOUR e-ring, go for what makes YOU happy. :)

Thank you so much, erislynn! That is wonderful that you have a treasured ring from your mother! I really think you are right. I do love my diamond and that has never changed. I think my daughters both think the diamond is beautiful, but it is too big for them at this point. But hopefully I will be able to enjoy it long enough for them to be older and more able to wear a larger stone!

NICHLO

Rough_Rock
DS, I just saw this thread and HAD to comment. I know you answered several questions for me on my vatche reset thread (everyone's knowledge over here is so helpful), and wanted to let you know that it is your ring that got my heart set on the vatche setting. It is so elegant, and I haven't seen in person, but think it may even be nicer than a Tiffany setting! And your diamond is beautiful!! So when I read that you were really thinking about selling it, I was surprised. I may have missed where you gave the reasons why? I gather you like a smaller spread for your finger but was wondering if the color was bothering you? I noticed you have an I and that is what I'm currently looking at. I currently have a G ideal AGS cut diamond size 2 carats and am looking at a 3 carat I AGS ideal. I have two concerns. Is this going to be too big for me? Is the color going to bother me? I don't want to walk around with a gumball ring, but on other hand, I love diamonds so much , do I care what others think? Also, should I trade up for two colors down? I haven't seen the diamond as of yet ...I'm hoping I can't tell color difference. Anyhow, as you can tell , I have trouble with decisions regarding this and any advice is much appreciated. And again, love your diamond. So elegant and beautiful on you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NICHLO|1458908577|4010810 said:
DS, I just saw this thread and HAD to comment. I know you answered several questions for me on my vatche reset thread (everyone's knowledge over here is so helpful), and wanted to let you know that it is your ring that got my heart set on the vatche setting. It is so elegant, and I haven't seen in person, but think it may even be nicer than a Tiffany setting! And your diamond is beautiful!! So when I read that you were really thinking about selling it, I was surprised. I may have missed where you gave the reasons why? I gather you like a smaller spread for your finger but was wondering if the color was bothering you? I noticed you have an I and that is what I'm currently looking at. I currently have a G ideal AGS cut diamond size 2 carats and am looking at a 3 carat I AGS ideal. I have two concerns. Is this going to be too big for me? Is the color going to bother me? I don't want to walk around with a gumball ring, but on other hand, I love diamonds so much , do I care what others think? Also, should I trade up for two colors down? I haven't seen the diamond as of yet ...I'm hoping I can't tell color difference. Anyhow, as you can tell , I have trouble with decisions regarding this and any advice is much appreciated. And again, love your diamond. So elegant and beautiful on you.

Thank you so much, NICHLO! I love my diamond. And the Vatche setting is beautiful. If I had a mrb, I would 100% choose the same style setting again. I have considered resetting since my stone is antique style, but I haven't taken that leap yet because I do love a classic, elegant look that this setting and Tiffany Legacy wedding band give me.

Now to address your questions and concerns. This will be a long story! Like you, I love well cut, beautiful diamonds, and bigger is even more beautiful! For many years I happily wore my 1 ct F color (very average cut) original diamond engagement ring. It was set in yellow gold and I wanted to change to platinum a few years ago because that is a better color for me. My husband said I could just get new rings for our anniversary and not try to reset the original, yay! So I found PS, thankfully, which allowed me to get into the world of ideal cut diamonds. I went from 6.5mm to 1.6 cts and 7.6mm H VS1. No one I know locally has EVER changed their wedding set, so most of my friends and family wear from .75-1.25 ct diamonds. So even jumping to 1.6 cts made me feel self-conscious and MANY times I considered trading it in for a smaller, higher color stone (just to make the price a little higher in order to do an "upgrade").

So, I didn't trade it in, although I took a detour and bought another stone almost identical for a good price and sold the first one at a profit when diamond prices temporarily spiked in 2011-12. That was when I got the Vatche setting. I still didn't feel 100% sure about my diamond, although I certainly love well cut mrbs. I absolutely loved the Good Old Gold AVRs and AVCs, but I had had a round for so long that I knew I wanted to stick with a round for my e-ring. So in fall of 2012, I started looking at AVRs. I was looking at stones a little larger than the one I had..like 1.8 cts to begin with. I wanted VS clarity for sure, and all he had in the 1.8-2.5 ct range was I color at the highest. I really didn't want to go with I color, but I knew I loved the facet pattern and didn't want to wait forever for a higher color to come along (which still hasn't happened). I had them send me a few stones. The first one was low I color and I couldn't handle that. There was nothing else in the 1.7-2.0 range, so for the heck of it, I sent for a 2.12 I VS AVR. I absolutely loved it and the facet pattern was even more beautiful since it was larger! ha! I decided I could go to that size even though I knew it was really large compared to most of the close people around me. Yet many here had already surpassed that size and had gone into 3+ carats, so I felt like I would adjust! But there was also a 2.29 I VS1, and I had Jon send it to me to compare since the two stones were so similar. It was a hard decision, but I decided to keep the larger stone and had it set in the Vatche setting.

So, naturally, I loved the diamond but again felt self conscious about the size of the stone. It is not that I care at all what random people think, but I do care what people whom I respect think! I guess I didn't want them to think I was overly materialistic, because that really isn't me. I have friends who are well off who choose to spend their money on travel, boats, lake houses, etc., and I have some who lost jobs when the economy tanked and are trying to just recoup what they lost during that time. I have kind of gotten past that feeling and do wear my diamond all the time. However, my qualms about keeping it had more to do with leaving it to a daughter who would end up with this large diamond when her own engagement ring is 1.15 cts. Insurance on a $30k+ stone isn't cheap, so that is something you lay on them, as well. I have two daughters, so I'd want to leave them both something similar in regard to diamond rings, so I thought maybe changing to two smaller diamonds (like 1.5-1.8) would make more sense in the long run. I still think that is a good idea, but it was not a good idea from a financial standpoint. GOG would not let me trade for two diamonds even with a higher value, unfortunately. I will lose too much money selling the diamond myself. I lose 25% if I sell back to GOG, and there is not a smaller AVR that I want to buy at this point. As to color, I suppose H color would be my ideal color to balance size and price, but I would also not have the stone I have if it had been H color. I will say there are places I do go that the larger diamond fits in, and on those occasions, I really am glad I have it! Once I explored all my options, the bottom line was that I do love my stone and there is no good alternative to just keeping it.

As far as you are concerned, I think you have to evaluate your comfort level of how large a stone you'll feel good wearing around your close friends and family. I think you should send for the stone you choose before having it set so that you can see how you feel about the color and size. In my case, the I color faces up white in most lighting, but it does show color when in the car with tinted windows, for example. But thankfully, that is not how it looks most of the time. I am going to post a picture for you from a get together I had with m2b where I have all of her diamond jewelry and my ring on my hand. All of the diamonds are I color except the large AVC which is J. It should make you feel better about I color in natural lighting. However, I will still say it is an adjustment when one is used to F-G.

Let me know if you have more questions!

2014-06-07_44.jpg

2014-06-07_45.jpg

NICHLO

Rough_Rock
Wow...thank you so much for taking the time for such a detailed response. I really appreciate it. I completely understand about the feelings of shame. I have a 2 carat now and I sometimes don't wear it to certain functions as I don't want people's opinion of me and being materialistic to alter just as you said. But, on the other hand...I do not spend money frivolously either. I don't take $20k vacates or have an expensive car. I suppose I could do that, but to me, that is spending frivolously. Don't get me wrong, we still take family trips , but for instance. I wouldn't spend a lot to stay at a five star in nyc while there. Nothing against that AT ALL. I just don't see the point when we are out walking all day , ya know? My husband doesn't care what people think. He thinks it's silly for me to upgrade as I don't wear the one I have everywhere (it is in a halo and has a lot of detail that I'm always worried I will chip-I'm a fairly active person). Like you, most of my friends are about .50-2 carats at most. So , I may feel self conscious about this but then I think....well, this is for me and no one else. BUT, he has agreed to upgrade because he knows my love of diamond and we have our fifteen year coming up. I started of with a .91 for my engagement ring, it is triple ideal H&A D color diamond that is now set into an earring, I have a .90 for the pair that is f or g I can't remember. I can't tell difference in color though. I have always wanted a diamond bracelet and was hoping for that for the anniversary but I got off that course when I came on this board and saw all of the beautiful diamonds. My jewler is going to get the diamond in for me and I will need to decide if I can deal with that size or not. My husband will surely be relieved if I stick with my 2. :love:
If I stick with the 2, I could reset and also get a little something else too!
I feel obnoxious even typing this.....but feel comfortable at least here to say it all!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS - is one of the rings in your hand shot your 1.6ct MRB? I LOVE the size/proportions of that stone and would enjoy something similar myself.

Just a random question - sorry about the threadjack...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NICHLO|1458927180|4010964 said:
Wow...thank you so much for taking the time for such a detailed response. I really appreciate it. I completely understand about the feelings of shame. I have a 2 carat now and I sometimes don't wear it to certain functions as I don't want people's opinion of me and being materialistic to alter just as you said. But, on the other hand...I do not spend money frivolously either. I don't take $20k vacates or have an expensive car. I suppose I could do that, but to me, that is spending frivolously. Don't get me wrong, we still take family trips , but for instance. I wouldn't spend a lot to stay at a five star in nyc while there. Nothing against that AT ALL. I just don't see the point when we are out walking all day , ya know? My husband doesn't care what people think. He thinks it's silly for me to upgrade as I don't wear the one I have everywhere (it is in a halo and has a lot of detail that I'm always worried I will chip-I'm a fairly active person). Like you, most of my friends are about .50-2 carats at most. So , I may feel self conscious about this but then I think....well, this is for me and no one else. BUT, he has agreed to upgrade because he knows my love of diamond and we have our fifteen year coming up. I started of with a .91 for my engagement ring, it is triple ideal H&A D color diamond that is now set into an earring, I have a .90 for the pair that is f or g I can't remember. I can't tell difference in color though. I have always wanted a diamond bracelet and was hoping for that for the anniversary but I got off that course when I came on this board and saw all of the beautiful diamonds. My jewler is going to get the diamond in for me and I will need to decide if I can deal with that size or not. My husband will surely be relieved if I stick with my 2. :love:
I feel obnoxious even typing this.....but feel comfortable at least here to say it all!

Oh, this is a good place to talk about jewelry purchases, for sure! We definitely understand the dilemma! This is a good time to upgrade to a larger diamond. Prices have settled down a bit and no one knows when they will head back up. Having seen those cycles, I prefer buying when prices are lower! Of course, a bracelet would be wonderful, too! But you have other anniversaries and occasions to add to your collection. :)) I will say that you might want to consider something in between 2 and 3 carats as well. There is quite a bit of visual difference between 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 carats. I look forward to seeing what you decide!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1458928628|4010978 said:
DS - is one of the rings in your hand shot your 1.6ct MRB? I LOVE the size/proportions of that stone and would enjoy something similar myself.

Just a random question - sorry about the threadjack...

:wavey: No, those are all m2b's earrings and rings with the exception of my 2.3 AVR! Her studs were about the size of the AVR! I do plan to set the 1.6 I have now in a three stone ring at some point. Just trying to decide on side diamonds or rubies! Here is my original one, but the one I have now is exactly the same size!

_36841.jpg

_36842.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NICHLO|1458927180|4010964 said:

you have expressed my sentiments exactly. My pet peeve is frivolous spending! [of course I would never put diamonds in THAT category LOL]
I came to this board and ended up buying a lot of diamonds in a short time. My largest purchase was an OEC which I totally fell in love with and now almost never wear due to its size. I am just too aware of having it on, mostly in terms of practicality, and slightly because I prefer not to appear to have affectations. I prefer the smaller stones that one wears and forgets they are wearing, stones that are a part of daily life/life long "travel companions" : )

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne, I am very much that way, too. I rarely spend frivolously. Jewelry (at least quality jewelry, diamonds and gold or platinum) will always have value in the event of a catastrophe. I know some love expensive designer clothes and purses, but I am pretty conservative about spending on those kinds of things, because they'll all end up donated once they are worn/used for a few seasons. The designer purses I have were all bought on sale. Even though I could easily upgrade to 3 cts with very little money involved, I just wouldn't be able to pull that off where I live. I'd be totally happy with something like a Van Craeynest ring with a 1.5 ct AVR in it and perhaps an AVC in an antique style halo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results