shape
carat
color
clarity

Missydebby Project Update

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
missydebby said:
Good find... didn't remember that. I know he also sets a lot of colored gems that people find on their own, but all sources those as well. I get his point, since he is all about how the ring exists in it's entirety. And I super trust his eye. I mean, IMHO, he's the BEST. But still, if he is gona accept outside stones, I wish customers didn't feel the need to walk on eggshells... but such is the way of the master :o

Missy,

Leon once told me Medium Blue Fluorescence should not be considered in any diamond as it could impact the appearance negatively. A little reading on this forum will tell you just how unlikely that is. He made this comment to talk me out of the D colored diamond I found locally only to suggest a J color so that I can fit his expensive setting into my budget.

I have never seen Leon set an AV round and I wonder if he even knows how deep they are. They average about 64% and if Leon can honestly tell you the extra 2% in depth over a tolk round will make a big negative visual difference(other than slightly smaller faceup size) I would be shocked. Yes he wants to sell you a diamond, he may have good prices on diamonds but he also profits more when you purchase from him.

On the other hand looking at that yellow oval I would have told you to go with a modern tolk round instead as well for a different reason. The size of the virtual facets(flashes) fits better between the two, better than mixing a more modern small flash brighter oval with a large flash vintage round.

Really what is so Antique about the cushions he sells?
Are they old? No
Do they look old? No
Are they Assymetrical? Maybe Yes

Its funny when ERD and GOG sell the same cushions from the same supplier they don't call them antique. :twisted:
Don't get me wrong, he has a nice supplier and offers them at competitive prices, and creates settings that are second to none.

I don't like consumers to be deceived, and really when I was a pure newbie Leon's comments really weighed into my decisions in a negative way, now I see his comments for what they are, often plain salesmanship disguised as his "artistic" judgement.

Leon has talked many consumers who were set on purchasing from GOG or ERD into buying a diamond from him instead. It was his reluctance to make it easy to set an ERD centre stone that was the ultimate reason why he didn't make my wife's ring.

Good-luck,
CCL

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
Missy, I'm liking the oval center. I think it is giving the ring a different look and it's not about the flash. The elongated color of the center stone is ... can't explain it. You probably know what I'm talking about though.

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
oh but I agree with this, PICS Leon, Pics!! We need pics!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
ChunkyCushionLover said:
missydebby said:
Good find... didn't remember that. I know he also sets a lot of colored gems that people find on their own, but all sources those as well. I get his point, since he is all about how the ring exists in it's entirety. And I super trust his eye. I mean, IMHO, he's the BEST. But still, if he is gona accept outside stones, I wish customers didn't feel the need to walk on eggshells... but such is the way of the master :o

Missy,

Hey CCL! How are you? Very nice of you to come by and comment. You always give very interesting points to consider.

Leon once told me Medium Blue Fluorescence should not be considered in any diamond as it could impact the appearance negatively. A little reading on this forum will tell you just how unlikely that is. He made this comment to talk me out of the D colored diamond I found locally only to suggest a J color so that I can fit his expensive setting into my budget.

I agree that the medium fl, as discussed here on PS, should not have been a disqualifier. Yet, could it also be that Leon is of the old school thought that fl in white diamonds is always to be avoided? I'm not defending him, but my green diamond has strong florescence, which not all greenish diamonds have. And he loved the fl in my colored diamond.

Again, not defend but to play devils' advocate, is it such an awful thing to suggest a less expensive diamond so that one could afford the whole package? Here's why I say that: some of us, not many but some (like me) would sacrifice either color or carat to be able to afford the whole package. I for instance, spent around $9K on my ering - 5K on the center E VS2 1.01 cushion and 4K on the setting and 10 french cut side stones. A lot of other people might have taken the same 9K budget and gotten larger diamond and spent no more than a 1/4 or less than that on the setting. If Leon was trying to suggest a way to have setting you wanted with a stone that would work at a price that might make the whole thing doable, then who's to fault him?

I have never seen Leon set an AV round and I wonder if he even knows how deep they are. They average about 64% and if Leon can honestly tell you the extra 2% in depth over a tolk round will make a big negative visual difference(other than slightly smaller faceup size) I would be shocked. Yes he wants to sell you a diamond, he may have good prices on diamonds but he also profits more when you purchase from him.

Just to clarify... he said for this particular design, all ovals is the only way to go... no rounds of any kind.

On the other hand looking at that yellow oval I would have told you to go with a modern tolk round instead as well for a different reason. The size of the virtual facets(flashes) fits better between the two, better than mixing a more modern small flash brighter oval with a large flash vintage round.

Good point, cause after I thought about it, I realized that the AVrs might not go with any of the greenish yellow/chameleon stones I was considering anyway. But here's the thing, having a greenish yellow strong fl diamond is central to my project, in that it's representing my daughter. The other thing is I don't begrudge Leon wanting the control of selling stones he's sourced. I mean, God Bless Capitalism. And sure, he's gonna make added profit on that. Is that bad? He could pad it way more, which is what plenty other designers do. One example was just recently on another thread regarding a stone from James Meyer who only sets his own. The quote he gave that OP was 2K more for an under 1 carat antique stone that any other comparable. That's what I call padding. But If you want that designer, what are you gonna do? Now, the market for white diamonds is more transparent than colored, but let me tell you something... his quote for my greenish diamond is at minimum 2K LOWER than any other vendor for a comparable in color and size stone. So only by going through Leon can I do both the diamond can the setting. And with the lack of transparency in colored diamond market, he could have easily charged me $1500 more and still come in underpriced.

Really what is so Antique about the cushions he sells?
Are they old? No
Do they look old? No
Are they Assymetrical? Maybe Yes

True. They are beautiful, but so are plenty of others. AVC are so desired and so loved for a reason.

Its funny when ERD and GOG sell the same cushions from the same supplier they don't call them antique. :twisted:
Don't get me wrong, he has a nice supplier and offers them at competitive prices, and creates settings that are second to none.

I don't like consumers to be deceived, and really when I was a pure newbie Leon's comments really weighed into my decisions in a negative way, now I see his comments for what they are, often plain salesmanship disguised as his "artistic" judgment.

I don't mind salesmanship, and I don't mind if it walks hand in hand with his artistic vision. I suspect it's a bit of both. I know I sound like such a cheerleader, having played devils advocate and explaining the particulars of my experiences. I'm not blind and deaf and I feel like their customer service is inconsistent. You def don't get the love you get from other vendors, and this should be considered, for sure, for people considering going to Leon. And people should read the glowing reviews and the crappy reviews, look at his work and the work of other designers and weigh it carefully in making their decision. I love Leon and his work, but any bed he's made he'll have to lie in, and I'm not trying to fluff the sheets.

Leon has talked many consumers who were set on purchasing from GOG or ERD into buying a diamond from him instead. It was his reluctance to make it easy to set an ERD centre stone that was the ultimate reason why he didn't make my wife's ring.

Your wife's ring is gorgeous and the center cushion is to die for. And him being lame with you lost him your sale.Instant business karma. Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it, my Cushion Big Bro

Good-luck,
CCL

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
vbnet said:
Missy, I'm liking the oval center. I think it is giving the ring a different look and it's not about the flash. The elongated color of the center stone is ... can't explain it. You probably know what I'm talking about though.

You're totally right. Besides, it seems super hard to find color diamonds that have both flash and color, since colored diamonds are cut with the highest regard to maximizing color, not cut. I was looking into having a green AVr cut fro me through Jon at GOG. That would have been spectacular. But at $3500 there was only one green stone that could only possibly be recut into an AVr, and we we weren't sure about the color of that stone in the first place. With unlimited funds, I'd do that, but at $1800 for the Leon stone, it was way less risky going in that direction. Plus I really neede an oval for this design, which is about the only 3 stone ring that makes me turn to mush.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Guys! Just got off the phone with Leon. Dude, I dunno what it is, but I have no problem whatsoever with the guy. We had a long great conversation and went over a lot of stuff. He was informative, totally polite, and all around awesome.

OK. Here's the update:
He tried working out some ideas with the leaf flowery thing, which would have been covered with pink diamond melee. But it just wouldn't work the way he had invisioned it.

So he's calling up his supplier and is gonna find out about graduated pink diamonds. He's thinking 3 to four down each side... and depending on their size, maybe even bezeling them with milgrain. The other option is not too intense pink sapphires, if I want to save on cost.

Let me also say... this dude is always thinking about saving me on cost. Really. We went over some figures and he's been giving tons of options to make it work. Maybe he had his coffee this morning!

Anyway... on a side note... guess what? Maybe cost is not gonna be too much of an issue as I thought. I put up some paintings on my FB business page and they both sold within 2 hours!!!! Yeeeeeee!!! Just have to make like 30 more :lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the sells!!! I want to see a picture of those cute duckies with the funky feathers...they were so adorable!

Anyway...what I wanted to say was DO THE PINK DIAMONDS!!! I just think they would be so pretty!!! And how many
of us have any pink diamonds? It would be one thing off my bucket list if I could just have one small piece of jewelry
with a (some) pink diamond(s). I think you should go for it. :D

I'm living vicariously through you right now...hope thats not to weird for ya :???: !

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Go for it, gurl. I feel like I'm living vicariously through myself right now!
Yeah, I'm thinking pink diamonds, too. Just as long as it's not too outrageous.

I wish I could link you guys to my FB page! Sigh...

If you go to "Hangout" I have a thread of seeing a painting from start to finish. that's one of the ones I sold yesterday.

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Congrats on the sells!!!! YIPPEE, only 70 something shopping days til xmas - LOL . Get pumping those babies out!

PINK, Yes PINK diamonds. Oh yea! something special!!. It has to be. Done. If it's a lot of $$ but looks great, just wait a couple of months right? Done.

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
no news? I'm holding my breath! Turning a little blue =)

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
ooooh! the pink diamonds would be so spectacular!
I had a few conversations with Leon when I got my two little string bands made and he was super polite and very helpful and always very interested in telling me about lower priced options-- which i went with. I really like that about him!!! He was so nice to me and knew how strict my budget was since I'm in college and just worked with it--- the fact that he didn't try to sales me into more expensive options really meant a lot! Congratulations on selling your paintings--you are a very talented artist!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely pink diamonds. Kind of like the idea of graduated pink diamonds on either side of the oval...that would be delish! :appl:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
HI guys! Sorry I"ve been MIA

Yes, pink diamonds sound like da bomb and I'm def edging in that direction. Just waiting to hear the damage :lol:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Debby, I can't wait to see the finished ring! :cheeky: :cheeky:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
sold another painting today! I am on a roll... little by little I might just be able to pull of this pink diamond thing! Let me know if you want to see photos of the paintings...

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, please! I'm really curious - and can't find the thread you mentioned in hangout.... Pictures of your pictures, please! :appl:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
OK, all three of these sold this week... and two aren't even finished! But I guess the buyers really wanted them no to get away, so to speak.

The first is called Liefde
002_0.jpg

close up
003_0.jpg

The second is called Birds over Wire and is on canvas 80cm x 100cm... just in the underpainting stage
013.jpg

close up
012.jpg

and finally, this is called BloOrp (my daughter named it!)... needs 1 to 2 more color layers
018.jpg

bricklayer

Rough_Rock
Oh my goodness those are AMAZING! Great work!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
UPDATE!!!!

So here's the email I just sent to Leon after seeing this ring posted in his "new" images:

r1227%20red%20diamond.jpg

Leon it's not fair. You're killing me.

I have questions regarding:

1. the beautiful tapering marquise
2. the three sided pave vs the one sided like in r1071
3. color,size, and number of pink diamonds

I'm looking very good in that I just secured a 4 painting commission last night and I want to spend my money on shiny objects. So we need to start getting into the nitty gritty pricewise and make up a work order. Can you let me know when a good time would be to call you?

Thanks, Deb

Girls, I gonna do this thang.

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
Your paintings are incredible!!! Congratulations on your sells. :bigsmile:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much Oranges! As long as I keep selling them, I can turn away from the prostitution and drug selling to keep up my jewelry addiction... :naughty:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
OMG OMG OMG

PICTURES!!!!!!

Having read and seen everything I've said, what's your guys' opinions on this?!?

green%20oval%20with%20pinks%201.jpg

green%20oval%20with%20pinks%202.jpg

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
personally i dont like the colors together. they fight eachother. i would do one or the other mixed with white.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Missdebby this is killing me because I wanted you to have some pink diamonds so bad but I thought they were going to
be more like little melee (1 to 2 pointers). I have to agree with bgray...I'm not with this color combination ;( .
I think the pink takes away from the yellow and the yellow takes away from the pink. I think white would go better with
the yellow.

What are you thinking? You have the artists eye...how does this color combination make you feel?

BTW - Your birds are amazing!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the input...

We had thought about pink to bring out the green of the diamond as this is a greenish yellow with strong florescence.

It looks so pretty in the larger pictures, but I don't want to be hasty.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I am enjoying your paintings! I'm glad you have sales lined up :appl: I actually do like the stones together. It reminds of my garden in the spring--green grass and pink flowers.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the color combo will only work with really saturated pinks. Those are too soft in my opinion!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Is it possible to post larger pictures? On my monitor, at this size, I'm not really liking the combo because it looks a little drab. However, it is a combination I usually do like, so I'm wondering if I'm just not getting a correct perspective?

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
I like the pink and green, and you see the combination in a lot of decorating and linen items. My only concern is would you grow tired of it? It's really cool now, but would you still love it in three years. I Love the LM setting and the marquis.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE the pink and Green. I think on my computer I saw GREEN not yellow at all. I am partial to the pink melee. My new ring has pink diamond but they are set in rose gold so it makes the PINK pop.

I have ALWAYS love pink and green together but if this is a new combo for you you may want to sit a bit. I LOVE the look of that new ring, I like it better than the other one you thinking about. Looks like MORE finger coverage :naughty: , always a good thing IMO.

:bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results