shape
carat
color
clarity

Mike Robinson Making the Phoenix - a Mini Series

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Lulu, Justginger and Starzin I'm really glad you all enjoyed it. Klewis's Spess was really special, I wish I could have captured it better in my photos.

There is another old thread like this with step by step making of shots for Arjunajane's ring, if you found this interesting you should take a look.

Thanks again all, Take care.
Mike.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wow. I've never seen this thread. This is ART!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Wow, wow, wow.....

I stumbled across this and AMAZING!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I missed the last part of this too. Thanks for resurrecting it, Greg. It's stupendous. I'm just in awe of the time, detail, art, and plain toil involved. Stopping to take photos was another chore & very much appreciated.

KLewis -- are you here? Any chance we could see hand shots? It would be great to see what it looks like!

--- Laurie

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately I don't think KLewis has been around for some time.

If you enjoyed this, you might like to search for the threads for Zahraleyla and PinkJewel - both of whom have had amazing rings designed and made by Mike Robinson of RDG.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Greg, it's great that you've enjoyed the photoss of the making of this ring. I haven't looked at those photos for maybe 18 monthsor so and I'm reminded of just how much Mike put into the project.
Also I noticed that I hadn't posted the final design. I originally posted the first of Mike's designs which he did based on the specs and photos of the stone. Then, once he had the stone he altered the design to reflect the actual colour of the stone so here are they are together

klewis.jpg

phoenix_2.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak, here are a few hand shots.

Anyone interesting in these kinds of photos taken during the creative process can search Arjunajane and Treebean who have both posted photos that Mike has taken during the making of their rings.

img_2926.jpg

img_2928.jpg

img_2929.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
One last photo

Attachments

• dsc02829.tiff
    912.7 KB · Views: 239

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
wow oh wow!!!!

What are the specs of the stone?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Hey! You are around :) Thanks for coming back with those two designs and the hand shots - great to see them!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
gregchang35|1385978964|3565989 said:
wow oh wow!!!!

What are the specs of the stone?

I bought the spessartite from Richard Wise. It's Nigerian spess and from memory it's 5.63 cts.
Given the amount of detail and work involved in making the ring, I think RDGs pricing was very reasonable.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin|1385986495|3566007 said:
Hey! You are around :) Thanks for coming back with those two designs and the hand shots - great to see them!

It was a pleasure Starzin, I've lapsed into lurking these days.
Apart from the last of those pics which was taken 2010, the others were taken yesterday using my phone.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The drawing themselves are works of art! Great to see you wearing it and enjoying it - truly an artwork.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thread where its revival is much appreciated and deserved. Thank you for the gorgeous updated pictures of your very special ring.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's just incredible! The amount of time, skill and labor that go into a piece of art like this is astounding! I'm truly amazed and the finished product is divine, made all the more incredible when you have an inkling of all of the hard work behind it! Thanks for sharing!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Minous, Chrono and Yenniefire.

Originally the sides of the ring were blackened and with wear, that has worn off as we knew it would. We both liked how it looked originally but we also like it as it is now. We plan to visit RDG in a few months time and are wondering if we should keep it as it is or have RDG take the swirly clouds/smoke, back to black.

If you have a preferrence I'd be interested to hear what it is.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I am low maintenance kinda person. So if the black needs to be coated on every so often, I would probably forgo that idea and keep it as it is.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you happen to be in RDG's area, I would oxidize it again. The black clouds add a certain impact to the overall design, making the phoenix and spessartite stand out more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results