clarity

Mike Robinson Making the Phoenix - a Mini Series

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Klewis, this is amazing! Thanks so much for sharing :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The level of skill and care is astounding. There is no need to apologize for anything.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Klewis, thanks for asking Mike my question about his work process. I am just beyond fascinated and impressed. The medium varies, but every once in a while you find an artist/craftsman who has (Caution: hooey-hooey alert!) an almost mystical connection to his/her work, and watching this entire process unfold gives me the feeling that Mike Robinson may be one of those artists. I had that sense from Arjunajane's post in SMTB about her amazing ring made by Mike, and your fabulous Phoenix ring confirms it. What a phenomenal artist, and what an incredible ring.

I would love to see a handshot with your SO wearing the ring, at some point, if you could persuade him!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How can an artisan be so talented? So patient, so detail-oriented?

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys - I'm glad you're interested.

Aoife - I am going to try to get a hand shot this weekend, but SO is not that patient when it comes to that sort of thing, so it's going to take a bit of clever thinking on my part to achieve it.

Crasru - I was bemoaning this process of posting so many pics - choosing-uploading-adding-inserting- cutting & pasting text - previewing-submitting. Then I think of the work that has goes into pieces like this. The time and thought and artistry involved :oops:

OK next batch of pics

Plate of 18ct gold for making the body.

Rough shape of the body domed up and the shape of the Phoenix body drawn on in ink.

46.jpg

47.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Body cut and domed to shape, pictured with the waste gold.

49.jpg

48.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
the start of one of the clouds/smoke sections.

50.jpg

51.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock

52.jpg

53.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock

54.jpg

55.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock

57.jpg

58.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock

60.jpg

61.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Just a few more pics to go now before our ring is finished.

I have been intrigued by what happens to all the bits and pieces of gold scraps and dust left over from the cutting and filing and drilling. There was an interesting blog by Richard Wise about this and the spot price of gold http://rwwise.com/blog/
I hardly ever get this link-thing right, but If I don't, do persevere because it's very interesting, at least I found it so. Just scroll down to
'The Spot Price'

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Excellent photos, fascinating, some jewellers are true artists.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is an amazing sequence! I love this artists journals - yours and the one AJ posted one in SMTB, watching the creation of a work of art is a real honour :))

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to post these final few pics tonight but I will do it now that I have the chance.

65.jpg

66.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock

67.jpg

68.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock

69.jpg

73.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so thankful that Mike has gone to the considerable trouble to take these photos and add comments.

76.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to Mike Robinson for the photos and for the commentary, and to you, klewis, for posting them here! If anyone ever wants to know what goes into a handmade piece of jewelry art, and the range of skills that requires, they need look no further than this thread, and arjunajane's SMTB thread.

Now I'm off to drool over the photos of the finished ring. I'm still hoping for handshots at some point in the future.

Supers

Shiny_Rock
Truly masterful work.
Thanks klweis for sharing.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
It was interesting to see it come to life, thank you.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an AMAZING thread!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew! That's a lot of time and work involved. My thanks to both Klewis and Mike Robinson.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for posting this series, Klewis. I know it took a lot of time, but I'm so very glad you shared it with us.

This is amazing. What skill! Unbelievable.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so very much for making these posts. Fascinating look into the process of making a fine ring. :))

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
I know this is a very old thread but I was just re looking through it again this morning, I wanted to thank everyone for the kind comments about my work, I'm glad you all enjoyed the journey.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
You deserve every accolade anyone can give you for the design and quality of this piece Mike. It's nothing short of spectacular. :)
(I was a lurker at the time but followed along).

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I hadn't seen this thread before and am so glad it was resurrected (fittingly). It is AMAZING. I can't comprehend that level of artisan skill, but I can certainly appreciate the end product! :appl: What a beautiful ring!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Wow! That is an amazing ring. I loved seeing the detail and care and craftsmanship that went into its design and construction. Beautiful!!!! Thank you so much for resurrecting this thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results