shape
carat
color
clarity

Men's OEC Ring Design

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
No I don't mean like my ring, Greg :)) my ring has a recessed bezel so that complete flush look would not be possible for Bluelotus's ring which was made and proportioned for a prong set look. Lotus's lovely ring is the prong set style Tgal describes in this thread below. I think that refining his prongs will result in a look more like the prong-set examples that are pictured:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/octagon-bezels-recessed-vs-prong-set.180272/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/octagon-bezels-recessed-vs-prong-set.180272/[/URL]

In particular, when I said the prongs could follow the contour of the crown I meant like Tgal's lovely ring here. :love:

Blue lotus your prongs look more delicate in these recent pics. I think the size of the prongs is nice, they just protrude a little too much, staight up from the stone. A little curve to hug the crown and they will look much better in profile. And thank you for the compliment on my new ring! I adore it. It is presently at the jeweller being repaired/refurbished. I found it on eBay of course :lol: I can only afford things these days if I find then buried in a badly describe listing ;))

_18780.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer :love: :love:
Thanx for showing the pic- now I understand. :oops:
Hope that blue lotus sees this post of yours and he can show his jeweller.

Can't wait to see more pics from both of u.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer, I had actually designed the ring with a flush bezel in mind and asked about the prominence of the prongs during the cad process and was told they would be shaped appropriately during setting. I think this might be a case of lack of communication with the setter/finisher. I will try to make it in today to address this.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
I have just dropped the ring off to have the diamond reset and the prongs turned into beads. Let's hope it works out!
In the meantime here are some more photos!

_18847.jpg

_18848.jpg

_18849.jpg

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BlueLotus your finished ring breathtaking. Your stone is one of the most fabulously cut old cuts I've seen and it looks stunning in the white metal frame set in yellow gold. Your hand shots look fantastic!! I agree with the experts here that smaller, more form fitting prongs will make this ring a masterpiece, and I can't wait to see your finished product. Congratulations on this visionary piece. Your ring is now in my Pricescope Top Ten.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Wow, thank you LightBright for the generous accolades. I really enjoyed the process and know it wouldn't have come out as well if it weren't for this great site and community of jewels/jewelry obsessed individuals! I have learned a great deal from so many who've contributed.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Your ring is gorgeous, I love it! Enjoy! :appl:

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
One more cool shot of pastels!

_18886.jpg

JoeNewbie11

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely awesome ring! Enjoy it and keep posting pics :)

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Diamond was reset with smaller bead-like prongs. Much improved!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
:appl:
i know you will upload photos soon....

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
nicer outcome!

Woo hoo!
How are you enjoying the ring?

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Greg, I just got it back the day before yesterday and I am loving it. I think the lower set diamond looks much better. I found that there is better contrast with the girdle dropped below the edge of the bezel. Thanks again for your input! I think I will need to start a SMTB thread now that the project is finished!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Glad that you are now getting to enjoy the ring!!! Sometimes certain elements are an unknown until you have seen it for your eyes and on your finger.
Yes- a SMTB thread is required!

Look forward to your other projects.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh this is incredible!!! Absolutely gorgeous. Excellent job!!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is very masculine AND very beautiful :) lovely lovely lovely. :love: :love: :love: :love:

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Hi Greg,
I posted to your new ring thread that my ring needed to be remade! Apparently the rose gold alloy can be prone to forming fissures and that is exactly what happened. I dropped it off yesterday to be completely remade and this time in yellow 18k with a platinum bezel. Let's hope it comes out looking as good as it did before. Your ring looks fabulous by the way!
Best, BL

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,
I dropped the ring off to be remade on Friday and received another round of CADs today after deciding to tweak the design a bit. While the final shape looked great in the CADs in reality I felt that the ring on my finger was a little too top heavy. In order to make it a little more sturdy I asked that the sides and back be made wider and for the top to be squared off a little bit. If the ring hadn't developed fissures or stress fractures I would not have been inclined to have it redone but I looked at this as an opportunity to improve it. The bead/prongs were also made a tad bigger. . . let's hope this one will work out. I can see now what some of the drawbacks can be in casting vs. hand forging!

The ring will be recast tomorrow!

See the attached image:

ring_round_2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results