shape
carat
color
clarity

Men's OEC Ring Design

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
This is more the gypsy ring look, very subtle changes... i had to go through your previous CADS to make sure. it also looks similar to the first CAD but with the milgrain bezelled set lower this time.

More importantly, how do you feel about it?

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
I think I am liking it a lot better but I wonder if I requested the taper to end a bit too high on the sides.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure what you mean by the taper ending to high on the sides...

you have a 2ct stone so the dimensions are going to be bigger than what i have seen for a gypsy ring, though i have not been researching gypsy rings like you have.

sorry i cant be of any more help. perhaps chrono will chime in.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Greg. I guess I have been wanting to balance the size of stone with an understated setting. I am loving the way this looks but just wonder if the taper should drop down just a bit beyond the sides. The danger of these renderings is to become overly fixated on minutiae! Chrono, your input us appreciated!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's looking really good. As it is, the latest CAD looks more like "vintage ring". Or are you wanting the taper to be less drastic and more like "men's diamond"? This is now purely personal preference.

Top ring
More curvature and the taper starts up higher

Bottom ring
Taper is linear

vintage_0.jpg

mens_diamond_ring_2.jpg

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, yes, I do think it is looking good at this point and is now just a matter of personal preference. I stopped in at the fabricator's shop today to communicate my desire to see this final revision then will I will make a choice and pull the trigger. I am thinking 18k rose gold with a matte finish. I love the overall shape of the 2nd white gold ring but I think the rounder "vintage ring" is more what I am after for a ring that I will wear every day. I'll have to find another stone for another ring project!

By the way, where would you recommend sourcing a good pink sapphire? Any favorite online vendors?

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Hello all, here is the revised ring. I think it looks perfect.

_17225.jpg

_17226.jpg

_17224.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree! Love this last version. When will we get hand shots? :naughty:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
glad that it is finally done! woo hoo!!!
now for hte wait!

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Greg for helping me get a moment of clarity to see what it was I was after. I look forward to the next step. What metals did you use for your ring?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I used 18k Yellow gold and 18k white gold for the square section. my OEC is OPQR colour...it has a bright yellow tone to it, so the 18k YG and WG helps with the colour of the stone. i will try and find a photo for you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The latest round of CAD is fabulous! I'm looking forward to see this come to fruition. As for the pink sapphire, it depends. There will not be one or even 2 vendors who has what you want. You might have to look around with up to 12 vendors to see what's available.

1. Size and quantity of pink sapphire(s)
2. I hope you aren't tied to a particular shape, which generally increases the difficulty of the search
3. Fussed about treatment?

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-we-start-a-new-thread-with-respected-cs-vendors.169561/page-5']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-we-start-a-new-thread-with-respected-cs-vendors.169561/page-5[/URL]

When you are ready, come over to CS where there are more people who can help you out. The learning curve for coloured stones is steep for most people because there is no cheat sheet to refer to.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
bluelotus|1397664259|3654383 said:
Here is the most recent cad . . . Thank you gregchang35 for your input!

I like this one the best.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Andelain - yes, I like that one too but felt that it was missing that vintage gypsy feel. I will go with the most recent CAD.

Greg - I love your yellow diamond and am looking at one myself to work on a version of the vintage ring with sapphires! I am thinking of playing up the color differences between white and yellow. . . I had an opportunity some time ago to buy a beautiful yellow diamond but didn't follow through then went back to buy it and it had been purchased.

Chrono - my sister found some stones she likes from The Natural Sapphire Company. It seems like the really intense reddish pink ones are often heat treated. Perhaps this is what creates that unique coloration? The sapphire will be for my sister's version of this ring. We will stay with the octagonal frame but go with a more feminine band. . . the youngest sister will want a garnet. I will check out the CS section when I have time.

More soon. . .

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bluelotus|1398429933|3659769 said:
Chrono - my sister found some stones she likes from The Natural Sapphire Company. It seems like the really intense reddish pink ones are often heat treated. Perhaps this is what creates that unique coloration? The sapphire will be for my sister's version of this ring. We will stay with the octagonal frame but go with a more feminine band. . . the youngest sister will want a garnet. I will check out the CS section when I have time. More soon. . .

PLEASE please run a PS search on NSC and come to your own conclusion whether you feel comfortable dealing with them before shopping there. There are untreated intense pink/red sapphires but be prepared to pay a hefty price for them. You may also want to include spinels since there are many untreated pink/red spinels as well. They are also durable and slightly more affordable than sapphires.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
My OEC is a much lower coloured diamond: on paper it is graded by IGI here in AUS with an O, though is suspect that it will be QRST. So, not really a yellow diamond... the setting makes it look that way... hence why i chose it... :appl:

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Chrono - what is that gorgeous rock that is your avatar? Yes, I will tread carefully when it comes to the sapphire. I will also look into spinels, thanks for the recommendation. It all depends on what my sister likes but she is counting on me to excercise my Virgo obsessive compulsion to find the perfect stone for her ring.

Greg - I am also looking at one that would fall in the QRST range. . . more information when I have something to report!

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,
Just getting back home after picking up the ring! I think it looks great overall. The finish work is beautiful. The only thing I question is whether the stone is set a tad too high. I was thinking bead set rather than prongs if you know what I mean.

_18739.jpg

_18740.jpg

_18741.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks great, especially in that last shot showing the faceting and the details of the bezel! I don't think the height is too high per se, but the prongs are not nicely finished :blackeye: they could be much shorter and wrap along the contour of the crown, which I think would make it look more "flush".

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
dreamer_dachsie said:
It looks great, especially in that last shot showing the faceting and the details of the bezel! I don't think the height is too high per se, but the prongs are not nicely finished :blackeye: they could be much shorter and wrap along the contour of the crown, which I think would make it look more "flush".

I agree with Dreamer. The ring is stunning! If they can alter the prongs, it will be PERFECT!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring. the girdle of the diamond seems to sit flush with the bezel. so it looks right. however, if you feel that the diamond is set too high ask the jeweller if it can be lowered. if so, it may help with the overall bead set of the diamond that you are referring to.

Bead set v prong set. not sure how they can change it as it was in the CAD, but ask anyway.

i agree with dreamer and army wife about the prong work. it could look better....and i think lowering the diamond may help resolve that issue, if it can be lowered.

with regards to the prong work.. i have taken the liberty of attaching Dreamers 'george's profile view as a reference, if this is the look that you are after.
IS this what you mean Dreamer??
I know George's design is different and therefore setting of the diamond is different, but the key is the prong work. also take into consideration that Blue lotus' diamond seems to have a higher crown height compared to george. With a higher crown height, getting the prongs to follow contour around the gridle/crown will make it look smarter and more flush.

Blue lotus perhaps you can show this pic to your jeweller of how the prongs are finished in George compared to yours?

Sorry if i am confusing you.

profile_of_george.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks fantastic. :love:

Congratulations.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Wow!!! :love: it is amazing! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely beautiful ring! I agree with the prongs, if they could be refined a little, it would be perfect but it's pretty gorgeous anyway!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bluelotus|1398565996|3660987 said:
Chrono - what is that gorgeous rock that is your avatar? Yes, I will tread carefully when it comes to the sapphire. I will also look into spinels, thanks for the recommendation. It all depends on what my sister likes but she is counting on me to excercise my Virgo obsessive compulsion to find the perfect stone for her ring.

It is a 5 ct red spinel from Mahenge, Tanzania.

Your new ring is spectacular! :appl:

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Chrono - I will have to look into a spinel for my sister. I mentioned it to her and she says she'd love one. I'll have to go to the other side (colored stones) and start poking around. Perhaps I'll start a thread there. Thanks for the compliment on the ring! I love it but having worn it all day I am convinced it will be better with the diamond set a bit lower. I forwarded a link to this thread today tp the jeweler.

Lorelei - Thank you. I know my mom would love this ring. She was a real free spirit and wore all sorts of jewelry. I can't wait to get to work on my sisters' rings and my other ring project!

Armywife - Thanks! You have an OEC too, right?

Kenny - I have admired your amazing collection of colored diamonds. . . that green OEC is gorgeous! So nice to know there are other men who enjoy wearing cool jewelry.

Greg - Thanks again for your input! Let's see how the reset works out. Right now the girdle sits a hair higher than the bezel. I had originally intended it to be completely contained by the bezel. Thanks for sending that image of Dreamer's George. . . useful to show what I am after. Be on the lookout for another ring project soon! Can't wait to see your light yellow redo!

Dreamer - I love your new ring. . . where did you find it? I definitely need to learn your technique for sussing things out! You are the master!

I'll probably be posting more soon! By the way, there has got to be a name for the phenomenon of one's hands becoming unrecognizably ugly in photographs. I can't believe how mine look!

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Amazing how the color changes!

_18777.jpg

_18778.jpg

_18779.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the warmer colours and the older cuts will pick up colour nicely...adds to the romanticism of an OEC!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results