shape
carat
color
clarity

Men!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fresh off the Bad Mother''s Day thread, thought I''d start one for fun about our SO''s.

Assuming the man (or woman) in your life is otherwise a great partner and caregiver, do you have any vents you''d like to make where you wonder HOW such a wonderful person can be so miserably bad at (fill in the blank?)

Here''s mine -

I''m constantly amazed at TGuy inability to process "hints." Normally I don''t like to make a person read my mind, but it''s become sort of an amusement to me to see if he can get ANY sort of hint at all. Like for my birthday last year, I would have loved for him to get me a Kindle. I said, "Ooh, I''d LOVE a Kindle...I could use one of those." I''m not sure he listens to me and then disregards, or if he doesn''t listen, or if he''s just dense, but he was very surprised that I was so happy to get the Kindle...from my friends who realized I wanted one when I only told them in passing if they like to read, they should buy one.

He also LOVES massages, but is horrific at returning the favor. I have to ask him directly for a backrub, and even then, it''s pretty short lived.

And he dresses my kid funny a lot.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I seem to have married a man with an unusually high level of emotional intelligence. I have a creeping suspicion that he'd be better placed to post on this thread about me than I am about him.

I'm constantly stumped by "oh, men" stereotypes, because I've been with this man since I was 23 and I never really experienced them.

Not saying he's perfect, but his is different.

With all that said...

How hard is it to put the soap back in the f*cking soap dish? You took it out of there.

Oh, and the whole aspect of our lives that is food just bypasses him completely. Meals grow magically in our saucepans and the component parts are created in the fridge as far as he's aware. (Fair enough I suppose. I believe that we have a Laundry Fairy...) Seriously, he can't cook, but it goes beyond that. He can't plan a meal, can't shop for ingredients successfully. He is miserably bad at anything to do with food. He doesn't like takeouts either, so if I died first he would starve to death soon after. Occasionally, I have him try making a meal. Just for fun... He then wears a groove in the pavement between our house and the store, by reading the recipe, purchasing the first ingredient he needs that we don't have, then returning home and reading the next line of the recipe...
23.gif

Sometimes he fills DD's bento lunchbox with the weirdest selections of random foodstuff imaginable. I always have to re-pack it when he isn't looking, taking out the more bizarre items. (Hot cross buns with cheddar and pickle, anyone?)

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if I ever shared this here, but here''s an example of just how bad DH is with food:

When I was pregnant, I was CRAVING cupcakes in the worst way. The bakery near our house didn''t have any, so he decided to make some for me. We had a chat about the advisability of this but he insisted and went to buy the ingredients. One of them was cream cheese, for the frosting.

That''s how we ended up with lemon cupcakes with a smoked salmon and herb frosting.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 5:25:33 PM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
Oh, and the whole aspect of our lives that is food just bypasses him completely. Meals grow magically in our saucepans and the component parts are created in the fridge as far as he''s aware. (Fair enough I suppose. I believe that we have a Laundry Fairy...) Seriously, he can''t cook, but it goes beyond that. He can''t plan a meal, can''t shop for ingredients successfully. He is miserably bad at anything to do with food. He doesn''t like takeouts either, so if I died first he would starve to death soon after. Occasionally, I have him try making a meal. Just for fun... He then wears a groove in the pavement between our house and the store, by reading the recipe, purchasing the first ingredient he needs that we don''t have, then returning home and reading the next line of the recipe...
23.gif

Sometimes he fills DD''s bento lunchbox with the weirdest selections of random foodstuff imaginable. I always have to re-pack it when he isn''t looking, taking out the more bizarre items. (Hot cross buns with cheddar and pickle, anyone?)
Everything about this made me laugh so hard and I really, really needed it!

P.S. I''m bad with cooking/recipes/ingredients as well and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out what was so wrong with getting cream cheese when making cupcakes.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 4:55:32 PM
Author:TravelingGal
Fresh off the Bad Mother''s Day thread, thought I''d start one for fun about our SO''s.

Assuming the man (or woman) in your life is otherwise a great partner and caregiver, do you have any vents you''d like to make where you wonder HOW such a wonderful person can be so miserably bad at (fill in the blank?)

Here''s mine -

I''m constantly amazed at TGuy inability to process ''hints.'' Normally I don''t like to make a person read my mind, but it''s become sort of an amusement to me to see if he can get ANY sort of hint at all. Like for my birthday last year, I would have loved for him to get me a Kindle. I said, ''Ooh, I''d LOVE a Kindle...I could use one of those.'' I''m not sure he listens to me and then disregards, or if he doesn''t listen, or if he''s just dense, but he was very surprised that I was so happy to get the Kindle...from my friends who realized I wanted one when I only told them in passing if they like to read, they should buy one.

He also LOVES massages, but is horrific at returning the favor. I have to ask him directly for a backrub, and even then, it''s pretty short lived.

That made me giggle. Hey, at least he dresses the kid, right?

My vent.....let''s see. Super nit picky, but hey, it''s venting.

When we''re in the same room talking - he often can''t park himself in one spot. He has to be moving around the room. Standing over here....no wait - he''s over there. Ok, now he''s sitting. Nevermind, he''s back up again and wandering. I''m just going to get a spinning chair so I can keep turning myself in whichever direction to keep up. I have a thing with wanting to be facing one another when in conversation. Honestly, I don''t get it. Just frickin sit your butt down. To watch him, you''d think he just doesn''t want to talk, but he''s actually into the conversation. He just must have some nervous energy or something.
That and he''s always having to play with some random object that''s laying around. Pen, magazine, his watch, his glasses, a fork.....You get the idea. I''m easily distracted and am always forgetting what I''m saying.

And when he KNOWS that something is wrong, or that I''m not in a good moon, why can''t he just ask me if everything is ok? That would nice. Instead of him trying to talk about everything else under the sun, until I finally just make the statement. I just want him to ask about it. That would be a nice caring gesture, right?

Me: I''m having a bad day.
Him : Yeah, I could tell.
Me: Thanks for asking me about it.
Him: Well, I figured you''d just tell me.
Me: Sigh.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I seem to have married a man with an unusually high level of emotional intelligence. I have a creeping suspicion that he'd be better placed to post on this thread about me than I am about him.

I'm constantly stumped by 'oh, men' stereotypes, because I've been with this man since I was 23 and I never really experienced them.

Not saying he's perfect, but his is different.

Yes, agreed. I feel incredibly blessed. He is very perceptive, receptive and so on. Of course, he is not perfect - no one is....but even if I do have a minor annoyance at some given time....all I need to do is share it with him and we talk it through and it gets resolved. Not only is DH very emotionally intelligent...his housekeeping skills outperform my own by far. He rubs my feet...just because. I came home a couple weeks ago and he had set up the foot bath, a comfy chair and proceeded to give me a spa treatment. For no reason. He'll talk to me for hours and share his feelings and so on.

Heck, I have more complaints about MYSELF than I ever do about him. If I was him I would complain about my repetitive failure to empty my pockets before my clothes go to the laundry. Or that I still have credits on bills from where I lived over a year ago that I still have not followed up on to get the credits paid back to me. Or that I have a tendency to flail my very, very pointy elbows around and accidentally make contact with his own tender flesh. Or if we are cuddling I fidget a lot. I start to tune out after a while of him talking as he will just talk for HOURS without pause and need to make sure I refocus (or ask him for a break!). Things like that.
40.gif

If/when we have kids, I would probably be the one dressing them in the funny outfits.

I pinch myself at times. I have certainly had very different experiences in past relationships!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Good one!

DH loves DS. He really loves him to pieces and loves taking care of him and giving him baths and everything. I''m sure he''d love to switch places with me and be a SAHD. What I don''t get is... If he loves taking care of DS so much, why do I always have to ask?? *sigh*

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 5:37:23 PM
Author: fiery

Oh, and the whole aspect of our lives that is food just bypasses him completely. Meals grow magically in our saucepans and the component parts are created in the fridge as far as he''s aware. (Fair enough I suppose. I believe that we have a Laundry Fairy...) Seriously, he can''t cook, but it goes beyond that. He can''t plan a meal, can''t shop for ingredients successfully. He is miserably bad at anything to do with food. He doesn''t like takeouts either, so if I died first he would starve to death soon after. Occasionally, I have him try making a meal. Just for fun... He then wears a groove in the pavement between our house and the store, by reading the recipe, purchasing the first ingredient he needs that we don''t have, then returning home and reading the next line of the recipe...
23.gif

Sometimes he fills DD''s bento lunchbox with the weirdest selections of random foodstuff imaginable. I always have to re-pack it when he isn''t looking, taking out the more bizarre items. (Hot cross buns with cheddar and pickle, anyone?)

P.S. I''m bad with cooking/recipes/ingredients as well and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out what was so wrong with getting cream cheese when making cupcakes.
Glad it made you laugh!
Nothing wrong with using creamcheese in a cupcake frosting, just (and this is probably the most redundant PSA in the whole of PS''s history...) make sure it''s plain!
9.gif

RaiKai, you don''t have to take stuff out of pockets, that''s a job for the Laundry Fairy, no?
2.gif

joflier, now you mention it, I have a fidgeter too. I get motion sickness talking to him sometimes. He''s constantly trotting about, but the half hour when he comes home is the worst.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 5:43:55 PM

23.gif

Glad it made you laugh!

Nothing wrong with using creamcheese in a cupcake frosting, just (and this is probably the most redundant PSA in the whole of PS''s history...) make sure it''s plain!
9.gif

RaiKai, you don''t have to take stuff out of pockets, that''s a job for the Laundry Fairy, no?
2.gif

joflier, now you mention it, I have a fidgeter too. I get motion sickness talking to him sometimes. He''s constantly trotting about, but the half hour when he comes home is the worst.

Funnily enough, that is what DH says (I think he may be being somewhat sarcastic?!?!?!).

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 4:55:32 PM
Author:TravelingGal

Here''s mine -

I''m constantly amazed at TGuy inability to process ''hints.'' Normally I don''t like to make a person read my mind, but it''s become sort of an amusement to me to see if he can get ANY sort of hint at all. Like for my birthday last year, I would have loved for him to get me a Kindle. I said, ''Ooh, I''d LOVE a Kindle...I could use one of those.'' I''m not sure he listens to me and then disregards, or if he doesn''t listen, or if he''s just dense, but he was very surprised that I was so happy to get the Kindle...from my friends who realized I wanted one when I only told them in passing if they like to read, they should buy one.

TGal, DH dresses my kid funny most days. There are two things I can do - lay out a set of clothes the night before (but he can defeat that and make his own selection) or just buy only clothes that will co-ordinate with all of her other clothes. It''s tricky, because he loves to shop and I can''t explain withoug hurting his feelings why it isn''t ok for him to buy her say, a red top and green trousers (ie because one day, they will end up featuring in the same outfit).
9.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 5:45:15 PM
Author: RaiKai

23.gif

Glad it made you laugh!

9.gif

2.gif

Funnily enough, that is what DH says (I think he may be being somewhat sarcastic?!?!?!).
Disregard the undertones, take him at his word. Or face a lifetime of pocket-emptying...
3.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock

Glad it made you laugh!
Nothing wrong with using creamcheese in a cupcake frosting, just (and this is probably the most redundant PSA in the whole of PS's history...) make sure it's plain!
9.gif

RaiKai, you don't have to take stuff out of pockets, that's a job for the Laundry Fairy, no?
2.gif

joflier, now you mention it, I have a fidgeter too. I get motion sickness talking to him sometimes. He's constantly trotting about, but the half hour when he comes home is the worst.
Yes!!! Lol - next time I'm going to tell him "just wait a minute dear, I need to go take my dramamine."
37.gif
Sometimes I'm reminded of an image of a little boy that has to pee really really bad.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Mrs Mitchell thank you for the laughs!
9.gif

My FI should probably post on this thread about ME..

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Mine are really ridiculous as I have honestly been blessed with a great husband but...

- He always leaves doors open: if he gets a glass from the kitchen he''ll leave the cupboard door open, socks from a drawer... he leaves it open... arrrrrrggggghhhhh!

- Leaves the loo seat up!

- Okay this is probably MY problem, but it drives me crazy that he calls the sitting room the ''lounge''. Makes me cringe.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
yssie, you are most welcome! I don't even feel bad, since I prefaced my rant with a few warm words about him!

joflier, sometimes it's because he actually does need to pee - and therein lies another rant. Please don't carry on talking to me, please close the bathroom door...

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 5:56:35 PM
Author: Pandora II
Mine are really ridiculous as I have honestly been blessed with a great husband but...

- He always leaves doors open: if he gets a glass from the kitchen he''ll leave the cupboard door open, socks from a drawer... he leaves it open... arrrrrrggggghhhhh!

- Leaves the loo seat up!

- Okay this is probably MY problem, but it drives me crazy that he calls the sitting room the ''lounge''. Makes me cringe.
You live in an elegant Georgian house. Lounge would make me cringe too.
2.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Mrs. Mitchell, I am absolutely dying laughing over here. Oh goodness. Poor cupcakes.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Those cupcakes will never be forgotten! It''s my main pregnancy memory.
3.gif

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Mine leaves the lights on. I can tell where he''s been in the house by the trail of brightly lit rooms.

To give him credit, at least he realizes how dependent he is on me. Last night he told me he wouldn''t know what to do if I left him. As in he wouldn''t be able to pay the bills, go shopping, do the laundry, get the kid up in the morning... Guess that''s what I get for marrying a man that never lived on his own!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
MrsM, both of your posts had me cracking up!!

DH's only issue is that he's so helpless about running errands or making phonecalls. He was put out this week that he had to call Verizon (he's the primary account holder and they refused to talk to me) and pick up our wedding album (it's 5min from his work, but 30min from our house - no way I was driving out there!). He said I should do this stuff since I'm not working, which I agree with, but I pointed out that I still do 99% of the stuff around the house - how hard is it for him to do one thing? He said when I was working he helped me a lot. Uhh, seriously? Like that wedding I planned by myself? I don't think he realizes how many phonecalls and shopping trips go into running a home and he really thinks I don't do much. I set him straight and pointed out that I still did everything even when I was working a more stressful job than him.

He went to pick up the album yesterday and realized he didn't have a check, then got miffed at me because I didn't write one out ahead of time and give it to him. I told him multiple times to bring a check! We have 5 checkbooks sitting in a drawer. How hard is it? It's like I'm his mom and have to pin the check to his lunch box
20.gif

He also called Verizon yesterday and spent 45 minutes doing it. I have no idea how! He just needed to have his online password reset and check the bill. I was able to call them, call him, call them back, and go online in under 10 minutes. I guess the reason he feels like these are such big tasks, and I don't, is that it takes him 5 times longer to do them than it would take me.

Otherwise he's awesome. He helps out a lot around the house, it's just the phonecalls and things he's so helpless at.

eta: Can you tell this all happened yesterday and I'm still kind of annoyed?
41.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Long rant ahead. I don't care if no one reads it; I just need to vent.

I love my husband very much, but we are SO different in so many ways. I feel kind of bad because I feel like I'm on his case about one thing or another lately, but he's just not doing things the *right* way. Yeah, I'm a bit of a control freak. It's not good and I know that. I get worked up so often over seemingly stupid things but it's so hard to let things slide.

For instance, we're moving in a month. (I know, plenty of time to get things done, right? Not in my world.) My husband has packed lamps. That's it. I get that we have time, but I don't want to be doing things at the last minute, and I'm trying to do things in an organized way. If we wait, things will be thrown into random boxes, and we'll never find what we're looking for. Most things are going into storage, all except the bare necessities, since we're not sure where we're moving to. If we were moving today, we'd be homeless.

I told my husband the other night that I was feeling very overwhelmed, and I don't handle anxiety well at all. Instead of calmly asking how he could help (and then actually following through with it), he got upset because he feels that I'm putting all of this anxiety on myself. I'm choosing to do so much all at once, so the blame is on me. That didn't fly well with me. I feel that he doesn't do enough to help out in general, and he thinks I'm some sort of dictator who needs things done when and how I say. I wouldn't be so demanding (his word) if he'd do more without my having to nag. This is actually a huge issue between us and it has been for years. Moving or not, we argue about this pretty often.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 5:49:17 PM
Date: 5/12/2010 5:45:15 PM

Author: RaiKai

23.gif

Glad it made you laugh!

9.gif

2.gif

Disregard the undertones, take him at his word. Or face a lifetime of pocket-emptying...
3.gif

Will (continue to) do!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL MrsM on those cupcakes...that is just awesome (but not delicious)!

Re: Lounge, that reminds me of another thing...TGuy must always say why some "American" words are stupid. Sidewalk doesn''t make sense he says...he should be a footpath. We don''t pronounce the H in herbs. I could go on and on but I won''t bore you.

The thing is I could understand if he were still relatively new year, but this year is going on his FIFTH year here. Get over it already! I get that "American" is inferior!!!
20.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I love my husband dearly and he is really, really wonderful BUT...he cannot for the life of him put things where they belong. Example: He puts his dirty clothes by the laundry basket but not in it. He puts his plate in the sink and not in the dishwasher. He puts his wrappers from granola bars next to the garbage but not in it. It seriously drives me nutty. Why make the effort to ALMOST get it right??? Very strange. Also, he never closes anything back. Dresser drawers, cabinets, etc. Oh and he cracks his knuckles all at one time...it seriously sends chills up my back everytime he does it. And he knows it drives me crazy and just smiles when I have my disgusted face on right after he does it.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Love these stories!

DH is a wonderful man, but what excites him does not always excite me. Since we moved away from friends, he doesn''t have anyone ''manly'' to talk to, so he tries to chat with me about the STUPIDEST stuff. I understand you are excited about this you-tube video of a home made fireworks rig that shoots water after exploding (or whatever), but you do not have to throw your laptop on my legs, make me watch it, and then try to analyze the equipment needed to make one!!! I DO NOT CARE!!!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 6:35:42 PM
Author: jsm
Love these stories!

DH is a wonderful man, but what excites him does not always excite me. Since we moved away from friends, he doesn''t have anyone ''manly'' to talk to, so he tries to chat with me about the STUPIDEST stuff. I understand you are excited about this you-tube video of a home made fireworks rig that shoots water after exploding (or whatever), but you do not have to throw your laptop on my legs, make me watch it, and then try to analyze the equipment needed to make one!!! I DO NOT CARE!!!
DH is lucky that I enjoy videos like that
41.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Double post.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Great topic TGal!

My biggest peeves are:
- His inability to put dishes in the dishwasher. He will happily pile his dirty dishes in the sink even after watching me empty the clean dishes out of the dishwasher.
- Televised sports. Oh the sports! I do enjoy watching sports but not every second of every day and I don''t see any need to watch a show where people sit around discussing, dissecting and reviewing a game that we just watched. I can only imagine how he would feel if I subjected him to a 3 hour Lifetime Movie followed by a 2 hour round table discussion of the movie we just watched.
- Leaving the lights on. This one drives me insane! He will leave every light in the house on and then plug in a few new lights just to supplement the millions of killowatts he''s consuming. Can you guess which one of us pays the electric bill?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with you Mrs.M. My DH is a warm, loving guy. But he is absolutely horrible at anything food related. I think in the 4+ years we've dated/been engaged/been married, he has gone grocery shopping by himself maybe...twice.

He once came home with rotten bananas. That's right, he went to the store, and bought blackened, ROTTEN bananas, and brought them home. Sigh. I'm also convinced he doesn't recognize most vegetable items in their raw and uncooked state.

He also doesn't do dishes, but that's because I don't usually let him. He (like most men) doesn't understand the idea of "pre rinsing", he'll just finish a meal, and then put his dish directly into the dishwasher, so that the foodstuffs left there will get dry, crusty, and oh so aromatically gross. And of course, it won't wash off when I run the dish washer.

I do however love that he cleans up after me because I can be a tornado when I come home after a long day. And even if we're having a disagreement or I'm not happy about something he's contributing to, and even if he's doing exactly the wrong thing, I can always tell he's trying his darn hardest to make me feel better.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, this is fun! I love DH and he really is a great husband but he does some annoying things too.

-he exaggerates when he can''t hear me. I''ll say something like "Can you get me my drink out of the bag?" and he''ll say "What? What''s making you gag?" or "Huh? Does Rick dress in in drag?" Annoying!

-he also only hears certain words when I give instructions. I''ll say I need pain reliever. Get me anything BUT TYLENOL. I''ll take Motrin, Aleve, Advil. Just DON''T get Tylenol. He''ll come home with Tylenol - probably because I said the word twice.
20.gif

- he stinks at grocery shopping. He''s always close but not quite there - I say get macaroni; he gets penne. I say get low fat; he gets fat free.

-if I''m grumpy, he''ll ask if I have my PMS.
38.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results