shape
carat
color
clarity

Matching pair of 2 ct MRB for 4ctw studs

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This will be a very interesting time for many of us venturing into labs now. Each person's mind clean standard will be different and for different types of jewelry. For you, you need mind clean for rings. I can totally see that. I can see myself using one of the labs for my empty solitaire setting, as a substitute ering for when I am tired of my 3 stone, which happens a few times a year. I know I would NEVER buy another stone for a second ering because my brain simply cannot handle more than one "official" ering, which is my EMD three stone. So a lab is perfect for that purpose because I like the fact that technically it is a real diamond (I've tried using Berricles as candidates for #imboredofmyering days but the stones are just too ugly), but it is not trying to be my ering because it is a lab. The idiosyncrasies of our brains can be manifested in how we utilize lab diamonds. I don't mind it as a pendant because I don't use pendants as part of my daily bling uniform. Rings, bracelets and earrings are where I care.

The new year sounds like a good time to start looking, when they have replenished the supply. Ritani's prices are great, and with a little due diligence, I'm sure you will find very pretty studs. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

Another thought that I will briefly mention because it’s about lab gemstones. I took out my BEAUTIFUL lab YAG that was in an expensive setting. I had David Klass remove it so he could bezel it in Sterling Silver. It just bothered me. I LOVE it in the SS bezel ring...and is now mind clean..Then I put a tourmaline in the expensive setting..Tourmalines are not expensive..but they’re natural. It’s just the way my mind works. I wish it didn’t. My mind clean issue also moved over to gemstones. :roll2:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so insightful. I didn’t even consider this. It seems plausible.

I’m so interested to see what you decide. I winced at the description of resale losses but… You have a point :twisted2: and I know that you’re a “full package” kinda person when it comes to stone and mount and judging

I just wish I knew already. Waiting to set them seems to make it worse because I am such an impatient person, and I keep second guessing myself. Cross your fingers for me.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thought that I will briefly mention because it’s about lab gemstones. I took out my BEAUTIFUL lab YAG that was in an expensive setting. I had David Klass remove it so he could bezel it in Sterling Silver. It just bothered me. I LOVE it in the SS bezel ring...and is now mind clean..Then I put a tourmaline in the expensive setting..Tourmalines are not expensive..but they’re natural. It’s just the way my mind works. I wish it didn’t. My mind clean issue also moved over to gemstones. :roll2:

It is so funny how mind clean can be about different things too. :)

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry, total thread jack here...

@LLJsmom - I can't for the life of me find the thread on your gorgeous 3 stone ring. Can you tell me where it is? I remember the stats being something around 1.2 ct - 2.5 ct - 1.2 ct - ish. I'm asking because an opportunity presented itself to me, and if I go with it, I'd be heading down a path similar to yours, so wanted to see your thread/pics.

Thanks, and sorry again for the thread hijack!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

@LLJsmom - I can't for the life of me find the thread on your gorgeous 3 stone ring. Can you tell me where it is? I remember the stats being something around 1.2 ct - 2.5 ct - 1.2 ct - ish. I'm asking because an opportunity presented itself to me, and if I go with it, I'd be heading down a path similar to yours, so wanted to see your thread/pics.

Allow me if it’s ok:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Allow me if it’s ok:

Thank you so much! I don't know what's wrong with me that I couldn't find that!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’m so sorry I missed this. Thank you @Mreader for posting the link.

@RunningwithScissors I'm so excited. Hope there will be news you can share with us soon!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Waiting to see the earshots as I am curious about how high the earrings would protrude, thanking the OP in advance for the pics.

I can't wear earrings that sit high, and the biggest size pearl studs I can wear is 10mm.

I would love a bigger pair of diamond studs to wear on their own, and am making my near 1cttw studs (6mm overall diameter in their bezel settings) look more blingy by wearing them with a pair of 1cttw jackets.

A 2cttw or 3cttw would be good to wear on their own on casual days! :lol-2:

I am having a bigger pair of jackets made soon with 2.5mm stones or bigger, to see if that would do the trick in achieving the effect I am after, as in to cover more of my big fat earlobes.

I can see myself getting a pair of bigger LGD cluster studs than my current 8mm ones in a flower cluster setting, like mrs-b's.

So far all my LGD purchases are earrings, and have 4 pairs to date.

DK =)2

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Waiting to see the earshots as I am curious about how high the earrings would protrude, thanking the OP in advance for the pics.

I can't wear earrings that sit high, and the biggest size pearl studs I can wear is 10mm.

I would love a bigger pair of diamond studs to wear on their own, and am making my near 1cttw studs (6mm overall diameter in their bezel settings) look more blingy by wearing them with a pair of 1cttw jackets.

A 2cttw or 3cttw would be good to wear on their own on casual days! :lol-2:

I am having a bigger pair of jackets made soon with 2.5mm stones or bigger, to see if that would do the trick in achieving the effect I am after, as in to cover more of my big fat earlobes.

I can see myself getting a pair of bigger LGD cluster studs than my current 8mm ones in a flower cluster setting, like mrs-b's.

So far all my LGD purchases are earrings, and have 4 pairs to date.

DK =)2

DK, I agree with you. I definitely want studs that don’t protrude much because I have flimsy lobes and even very light weight studs sag, even with jumbo backs though they do help. But I don’t want a martini setting because those dig into my piercings too. So the setting pretty much dictates whether I’ll be able to wear a pair of earrings.

Cross your fingers for me. I’ll post pics as soon as I can. It will be a while though cause I think the soonest will be the end of this month. No one is rushing.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I cant wait to see your earrings but OMG, your 3 stone ring!!!!!!!!!!!! OK. give me oxygen!

I have the same "flimsy lobe" issue and i hate it. Im not even sure how big my diamond studs are (under carat each but not sure if they're .75 each or .5) but they flop and it's so ugly to me!

I hear you on the "no one is rushing" my lab diamond recut was 2 weeks later than I was told and I still dont have my reset back that I sent in on Oct 31 !!! They're all lucky their work is so amazing so that you dont care about the wait once you receive it! LOL

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

DOOOOOO ITTTTTTT.

Drooling a little. I have had @LLJsmom ’s thread saved ever since she posted it. A similar three stone featuring Dainty? The heart stops.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cant wait to see your earrings but OMG, your 3 stone ring!!!!!!!!!!!! OK. give me oxygen!

I have the same "flimsy lobe" issue and i hate it. Im not even sure how big my diamond studs are (under carat each but not sure if they're .75 each or .5) but they flop and it's so ugly to me!

I hear you on the "no one is rushing" my lab diamond recut was 2 weeks later than I was told and I still dont have my reset back that I sent in on Oct 31 !!! They're all lucky their work is so amazing so that you dont care about the wait once you receive it! LOL

Ahhh. I feel seen. I am so jealous of all these gorgeous #anythingbutstudearrings that people can rock. We of the #flimsylobeclub are so limited. @Inked i will let you know how it goes. WF refused to shave down the settings or do other customizations except set as low as humanly possible. But I’m going with them because they know how to make a good setting. And I’m still deciding on either 14k WG or platinum because I will go with the lighter option. How lame is that? It’s a setting. But every gram counts.

Btw, you use jumbo backs right? Those helped a lot but even with them I had to pinch my lobes to death to get my 2 ctw studs to look not-saggy.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Not gonna lie. I am still struggling a little. When I look at the stones I see “shiny and sparkly!!” and my brain short circuits. But what if my brain betrays me when I have the actual studs and it screams at me “it’s fake!!!” I hate my brain.

Count me in with all of this.

I have one lab stone—a rose cut. I bought it mostly because I wanted to try a rose cut and didn’t want to spend the money on earth mined. But I was also curious about lab stones. It is not mind clean for me (this is where I so relate to the brain screaming “it’s fake!!!!”). But….I have no idea if it’s not mind clean for me because it’s a lab stone or because I just don’t like rose cuts. So, not a great plan in retrospect. Fortunately my daughter loves it so at some point it will be hers.

Anyway, it’s not just you. As I stand here, hopefully on the precipice of an upgrade this year, the practical side of my brain keeps telling me that lab stones would be so much more sensible. And the emotional part of my brain says, ”absolutely not.”

I think maybe my brain would think of labs differently for different purposes, too. ERs and wedding bands are very different than other pieces. And my brain wants to separate “big” classic pieces like ER, wedding band, studs, pendant— from more fashion-ey type stuff. No clue if this bizarre thinking will make sense to anyone else.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me in with all of this.

I have one lab stone—a rose cut. I bought it mostly because I wanted to try a rose cut and didn’t want to spend the money on earth mined. But I was also curious about lab stones. It is not mind clean for me (this is where I so relate to the brain screaming “it’s fake!!!!”). But….I have no idea if it’s not mind clean for me because it’s a lab stone or because I just don’t like rose cuts. So, not a great plan in retrospect. Fortunately my daughter loves it so at some point it will be hers.

Anyway, it’s not just you. As I stand here, hopefully on the precipice of an upgrade this year, the practical side of my brain keeps telling me that lab stones would be so much more sensible. And the emotional part of my brain says, ”absolutely not.”

I think maybe my brain would think of labs differently for different purposes, too. ERs and wedding bands are very different than other pieces. And my brain wants to separate “big” classic pieces like ER, wedding band, studs, pendant— from more fashion-ey type stuff. No clue if this bizarre thinking will make sense to anyone else.
I think the rose cut is making a difference because even if it was an earth mined rose cut, you would not be accustomed to its lack of traditional MRB or OEC sparkle. It's great that your daughter likes it. I hope you give labs another try.

Having saved some $$$ because of these labs, I am really excited I can allocate more toward a couple of VCA pieces that I am sure I want. I can see myself not keeping these as studs forever and repurposing the stones, but again, who knows. Only time will tell.

Getting these studs has made it clear to me that there are VCA earrings I prefer to studs and I have one more pair on my must have list. I think the only classic piece that I must have is my ering. VCA has replaced almost everything.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
I think the rose cut is making a difference because even if it was an earth mined rose cut, you would not be accustomed to its lack of traditional MRB or OEC sparkle. It's great that your daughter likes it. I hope you give labs another try.

Having saved some $$$ because of these labs, I am really excited I can allocate more toward a couple of VCA pieces that I am sure I want. I can see myself not keeping these as studs forever and repurposing the stones, but again, who knows. Only time will tell.

Getting these studs has made it clear to me that there are VCA earrings I prefer to studs and I have one more pair on my must have list. I think the only classic piece that I must have is my ering. VCA has replaced almost everything.

I have been thinking this exact same thing about studs! Whilst I don’t own any VCA studs yet, they are next on my wishlist. When I try them on, they are just so comfortable to wear - lightweight, low setting, flush against the ear. I especially like the size of the sweets in my lobe - unfussy and easy for any occasion.

On the topic of mind clean: the only pair of “diamond” studs I own are large moissanite ones - I think they’re 9-10mm diameter.

For me, they are occasional wear studs due to the size and there is no way I would ever splurge on EMDs of that size (and probably not LGDs either). It is a way of trying out an occasional look without committing too much funds. Cost per wear is a metric I track closely :geek2:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been thinking this exact same thing about studs! Whilst I don’t own any VCA studs yet, they are next on my wishlist. When I try them on, they are just so comfortable to wear - lightweight, low setting, flush against the ear. I especially like the size of the sweets in my lobe - unfussy and easy for any occasion.

On the topic of mind clean: the only pair of “diamond” studs I own are large moissanite ones - I think they’re 9-10mm diameter.

For me, they are occasional wear studs due to the size and there is no way I would ever splurge on EMDs of that size (and probably not LGDs either). It is a way of trying out an occasional look without committing too much funds. Cost per wear is a metric I track closely :geek2:

I so agree with you about VCA sweet studs. They are exactly that, comfortable, lightweight, low setting and sets flush against the ear. I didn't know how comfortable that would be until I wore them a few times. Mine has an extra grove which allows me to wear it closer to my ear and prevents sagging. They are most worn piece of VCA jewelry. What sweets are thinking about?

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
I so agree with you about VCA sweet studs. They are exactly that, comfortable, lightweight, low setting and sets flush against the ear. I didn't know how comfortable that would be until I wore them a few times. Mine has an extra grove which allows me to wear it closer to my ear and prevents sagging. They are most worn piece of VCA jewelry. What sweets are thinking about?

Your pave sweets are lovely!

I’m most likely going to get the carnelians.

Initially I thought I wanted the onyx as I love the high contrast between YG and black, but my SA suggested carnelian as an alternative and I just felt that it suited my face better.

My SA was saying that the carnelian is dark enough to provide contrast against the gold but is less “harsh” than black, so it works well as earrings to soften the look - and I have to agree. Really glad she convinced me to try them on.

I also like stacking the Sweets in my other piercings - so fun!

96F53458-9DB6-42D0-BEFE-F9CB4CEEE9D7.png
3AFD351F-1651-4A6F-8323-5B9C4820BED2.png

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! I'm paying attention b/c I hope, down the road to take a look at LG RB's for studs. Wear them in good health.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my studs today. They’re really nice. WF did a great job on the settings. 14k cause they are significantly lighter than the platinum version, and they set the stones quite low. With jumbo backs they sit nicely upright on my ears.
DB8D6A90-BDA9-4AE5-8282-42FC52AE6D97.jpeg

Attachments

• 8D214323-4C1B-4528-BC6C-5D8773D94CAD.jpeg
    8D214323-4C1B-4528-BC6C-5D8773D94CAD.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 7BDD8EA2-27B3-446F-95C0-221739D38241.jpeg
    7BDD8EA2-27B3-446F-95C0-221739D38241.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 4E8C8361-0F56-4816-A37A-6E11F71AC309.jpeg
    4E8C8361-0F56-4816-A37A-6E11F71AC309.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 56
  • D5564517-B841-4DA9-92A5-459DD62CDE94.jpeg
    D5564517-B841-4DA9-92A5-459DD62CDE94.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 48
  • C24B4091-C453-4E6C-8CAC-5F2FFA585F29.jpeg
    C24B4091-C453-4E6C-8CAC-5F2FFA585F29.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some thoughts on these lab studs. They are very pretty, extremely sparkly and decent impact. They’re big for studs compared to my old 2.3 ctw pair, but not uncomfortably large. However, they don’t feel special. Honestly cause they’re labs and not hard to get. And cause if these were earth mined I could not afford them, maybe I feel like I’m faking something, or trying too hard. The pro is that they are very sparkly and go with everything. Thus I will probably reach for them a lot and will get over this “lab” thing in my head. I don’t worry when I have them on because they aren’t $80k, so ironically I would wear these more because they are labs. In the end I don’t regret them because they are a staple. However they solidify the remaining earth mined pieces I want in my collection. So many ironies.

kathness

Shiny_Rock
I got my studs today. They’re really nice. WF did a great job on the settings. 14k cause they are significantly lighter than the platinum version, and they set the stones quite low. With jumbo backs they sit nicely upright on my ears.
They are beautiful

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Some thoughts on these lab studs. They are very pretty, extremely sparkly and decent impact. They’re big for studs compared to my old 2.3 ctw pair, but not uncomfortably large. However, they don’t feel special. Honestly cause they’re labs and not hard to get. And cause if these were earth mined I could not afford them, maybe I feel like I’m faking something, or trying too hard. The pro is that they are very sparkly and go with everything. Thus I will probably reach for them a lot and will get over this “lab” thing in my head. I don’t worry when I have them on because they aren’t $80k, so ironically I would wear these more because they are labs. In the end I don’t regret them because they are a staple. However they solidify the remaining earth mined pieces I want in my collection. So many ironies.

I know you're still sorting through your feeling on this but for what it's worth they are beautiful! Love the settings and such a classic piece!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

They’re gorgeous! David K is making mine but they look almost the same. I gave him inspiration ones from a few different vendors. Anyway..They are BEAUTIFUL!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

@LLJsmom I hope you can work through the mind clean aspect because they are gorgeous. I was able to because I won’t be able to compare them to my 3.04 ctw mined studs. My lab studs will just be a pair that will be pretty..but not on the same level as my mined studs. I won’t think of them as costume jewelry..I will think of them as diamonds..but less than my mined pair for sure. That’s the way I was able to work it out. If my new lab studs were the only ones I had I might have a problem..but since I have a really nice pair of mined studs..I can separate the two pairs in my mind. I hope you enjoy yours.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

How does the sparkle factor compare to your center stone?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are beautiful
Thank you @kathness. Objectively they are very beautiful.

I know you're still sorting through your feeling on this but for what it's worth they are beautiful! Love the settings and such a classic piece!
Thank you @JV36912. You’re right. They are a classic piece that I automatically reached for today. Very easy and appropriate for every setting and occasion.

They’re gorgeous! David K is making mine but they look almost the same. I gave him inspiration ones from a few different vendors. Anyway..They are BEAUTIFUL!
Thank you @MamaBee. Hope yours from DK arrive soon and you love them. Actually these are my only studs. So I’m sure I’ll get over my first world issues. They’re real diamonds and not cz’s as I keep reminding myself. I have just been conditioned to diamond pricing since birth so adjusting to this is taking a little time.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results