shape
carat
color
clarity

Matching pair of 2 ct MRB for 4ctw studs

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Due to WF's offer of lab stones, I decided to take the plunge. I ordered a 1.5 IGI D, and then I noticed that WF did not cut these stones (I'm slow). But since I paid I wanted to see one that WF felt beautiful enough to offer. It was more of a 60-60 stone, but it was surprisingly (I will be using that word a lot here) beautiful. Unfortunately, I preferred more colored light return and a bigger stone so I went on the hunt among other vendors since options were quite limited with WF. I checked JA, DG, Adiamor, Frank Darling, BN, Clean Origins, and Ritani, and guess where I landed. Ritani. My criteria was over 2 cts, D, VS1 or above, general PS standards, HPHT, GIA or IGI or GCAL and fatter arrows. Among many decently cut diamonds, @yssie found the first winner, a stunningly BEAUTIFUL, FIERY stone. Love at first sight, no questions asked. (It's the 2.12 GIA D, VVS2, H&A below.) Originally, I planned to pick one stone for a pendant, but since this one turned out to be such a great performer, and so affordable (it was the same price as the WF 1.5 D) I became hopeful that I could find another equally gorgeous and make dream studs, dream studs. Never would I pay for earth mined 2 carat D, VS H&A studs, way beyond what I'm comfortable spending. The second stone, an IGI D VS1 H&A also from Ritani, took longer to arrive, about 5 business days. It did not wow me the way the GIA did, but still amazingly pretty. I found the IGI a tiny bit warmer (as you will see in the pic) but not noticeably face up IRL. After staring at them for a day, I cannot tell them apart face up.

So far I'm mind clean about them because these finished studs would be put into a different mental category of jewelry from my earth mined stones. I see them like my VCA bracelets, just gorgeous jewelry that makes me happy. They do not have the price tag or the emotional significance I assign earth mined diamonds. Due to price, I will wear these without worry and guilt (lol), and I'm sure I will find them super blingtastic.

The journey of getting over the mental hurdle of buying labs is worth sharing since reading other's posts have been so helpful to me on my journey. Here are some pics. When I get them set, I'll come back.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Attachments

• D8C336E2-965F-4CCF-A498-301C127F00C3.jpeg
    D8C336E2-965F-4CCF-A498-301C127F00C3.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 0BD013CA-6F63-4BE0-A895-FB1FB0EAA9A6.jpeg
    0BD013CA-6F63-4BE0-A895-FB1FB0EAA9A6.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 74

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some comparison pics.

GIA on the bottom
6CAB129F-E7DA-464E-8E42-9996122B4E69.jpeg

Attachments

• D7C80023-E888-4C51-9CA8-514E8E57FCC4.jpeg
    D7C80023-E888-4C51-9CA8-514E8E57FCC4.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 118
  • BBD9B11E-BD24-47D4-BB23-D4D6E3E04CC1.jpeg
    BBD9B11E-BD24-47D4-BB23-D4D6E3E04CC1.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 079CDF37-FC13-444D-BBF0-F1EEE4E4183A.jpeg
    079CDF37-FC13-444D-BBF0-F1EEE4E4183A.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 5903CB12-64D4-448F-BFC3-CA80D605427B.jpeg
    5903CB12-64D4-448F-BFC3-CA80D605427B.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 4B309AFD-4F99-4134-A106-E478F8D2CF50.jpeg
    4B309AFD-4F99-4134-A106-E478F8D2CF50.jpeg
    652.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 5C80DE78-8C48-4999-92E9-C5AE076FE564.jpeg
    5C80DE78-8C48-4999-92E9-C5AE076FE564.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 133

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I couldn't insert captions properly.

Top row - GIA on bottom
Bottom row - left to right. GIA left, IGI D compared to my AGS E, GIA left and IGI right.

kathness

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful!!!!! Gorgeous!! Love them

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are stunning, LLJsmom! Glad you now have a marvelously blingy pair for an affordable price! Since your AGS E is your crème de la crème of performance, how do each of these compare to the E, performance-wise?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely GORGEOUS :kiss2: @LLJsmom
Wear in good health and bling joy and happy holidays!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are stunning, LLJsmom! Glad you now have a marvelously blingy pair for an affordable price! Since your AGS E is your crème de la crème of performance, how do each of these compare to the E, performance-wise?

Thanks @Kim N. Your posts have been very helpful to me on this search. The GIA D acts a lot like my ACA. I know it’s not super ideal because I didn’t buy it from a super ideal vendor (tho I’d be interested to put it through AGS’ analysis) but if I originally found a GIA stone like this I may not have felt the need for an ACA. The IGI stone’s body color isn’t as white as the GIA stone. Face up and set I won’t notice. Very sparkly and colorful, just a smidge less than GIA. If my ACA is an A+, then the GIA would be an A and the IGI would be an A-. I considered returning this and hunting down another but the GIA h&a stones out there are at least $1k more and I’m not guaranteed it looking better than the IGI. It may make me feel better about the two stones matching but I honestly won’t notice once set and in use. I’m just inordinately color sensitive which is annoying and expensive.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Kim N. Your posts have been very helpful to me on this search. The GIA D acts a lot like my ACA. I know it’s not super ideal because I didn’t buy it from a super ideal vendor (tho I’d be interested to put it through AGS’ analysis) but if I originally found a GIA stone like this I may not have felt the need for an ACA. The IGI stone’s body color isn’t as white as the GIA stone. Face up and set I won’t notice. Very sparkly and colorful, just a smidge less than GIA. If my ACA is an A+, then the GIA would be an A and the IGI would be an A-. I considered returning this and hunting down another but the GIA h&a stones out there are at least $1k more and I’m not guaranteed it looking better than the IGI. It may make me feel better about the two stones matching but I honestly won’t notice once set and in use. I’m just inordinately color sensitive which is annoying and expensive.

Thanks for the comparisons, LLJsmom! The color difference is what I'd expect from IGI. Good to hear it's no slouch in cut.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! This is also my dream size and my plan is to eventually get lab studs because no way do I want to spend what’s required for 4 carat total weight earth mined. I can’t wait to see them when they’re set!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These look gorgeous and wearing them on your ears makes it easier to not invest in EMDs! Oh the regret I have in investing otherwise with my diamond studs! I just wish I knew about LGDs years ago! I can't wait to see them set. Your 3 stone ring is just Devine!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the comparisons, LLJsmom! The color difference is what I'd expect from IGI. Good to hear it's no slouch in cut.
Thanks @Kim N . I wanted to ask your opinion. Do you see blue (or any other color) nuance on the IGI? I’m fairly confident that the GIA stone does not show any blue or any other color nuance.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These look gorgeous and wearing them on your ears makes it easier to not invest in EMDs! Oh the regret I have in investing otherwise with my diamond studs! I just wish I knew about LGDs years ago! I can't wait to see them set. Your 3 stone ring is just Devine!!
Having EMDs for studs is fabulous and peacefully mind clean. I wish I invested earlier. Thank you. I do love my three stone. I wear it daily and it’s so mind clean.

P

Petalouda

Absolutely beautiful! Cannot wait to see them set. Thank you for sharing your lab journey.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! This is also my dream size and my plan is to eventually get lab studs because no way do I want to spend what’s required for 4 carat total weight earth mined. I can’t wait to see them when they’re set!

Not gonna lie. I am still struggling a little. When I look at the stones I see “shiny and sparkly!!” and my brain short circuits. But what if my brain betrays me when I have the actual studs and it screams at me “it’s fake!!!” I hate my brain.

P

Petalouda

@LLJsmom if I may respond to your above comment, I think you’ll find wearing lab studs more freeing at times than mined. Studs seem to be an easy item to lose and though it still hurts to lose a lab one, it won’t be the same pain as losing a mined diamond. Furthermore, I’ve enjoyed the insurance savings.

We all have our own journeys and I think it’s great that you’re branching out. Sometimes we don’t know until we try. I, too, initially scoffed at lab stones and it took quite a while for me to overcome seeing them as inferior but once I did, I haven’t looked back. They don’t bother me at all now. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom if I may respond to your above comment, I think you’ll find wearing lab studs more freeing at times than mined. Studs seem to be an easy item to lose and though it still hurts to lose a lab one, it won’t be the same pain as losing a mined diamond. Furthermore, I’ve enjoyed the insurance savings.

We all have our own journeys and I think it’s great that you’re branching out. Sometimes we don’t know until we try. I, too, initially scoffed at lab stones and it took quite a while for me to overcome seeing them as inferior but once I did, I haven’t looked back. They don’t bother me at all now. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you!

Hi @Petalouda , thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree with you. It is a total mental and emotional journey for people like me. From a logical standpoint, there are a lot of good reasons for people living within a budget to choose lab studs. I won't need to worry as much about losing them. I won't be insuring them. And maybe those factors will be a relief in my mind as I wear them. My brain might love that. A D VS ACA would cost at least $50K. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing $100K of diamonds on my ears. Realistically, I would never buy earth mined with these specs, so these studs are not actually replacing anything. It's additional jewelry, a bonus. I want to stay open and give labs a real chance. What's the worst than can happen? I don't want them as earrings. I would be totally ok with one as a pendant. I think about the neck as the "fun" appendage so I'm just mind clean about whatever weird necklace I wear. And one will go into my solitaire setting to wear when I get bored of my three stone. I can see that happening for a few weeks a year when I get itchy for a different look. This will prevent future resets. So I need to stay calm until January when I am planning to get the stones set. The upside is having gorgeous studs that I can wear all the time, and funds that can go to other jewelry. And honestly I'm already making plans for that $30K I saved. Cross your fingers for me.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooh! They’re gorgeous! They look so icy white!
I’m on the fence about getting a very small pair of lab studs. Putting the lab studs in the same category as your VCAs is good way to think of them..I’m having trouble with mind clean issues..I already have a 3.04 mined pair..but I want a small pair to wear when I want to be super low key. I just don’t want to spend the money for a really small mined pair. To tell you the truth I think I would have passed on my mined studs if lab diamonds were available..It’s a crazy amount to pay for something I can’t even see unless I pull my lobes out!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Kim N . I wanted to ask your opinion. Do you see blue (or any other color) nuance on the IGI? I’m fairly confident that the GIA stone does not show any blue or any other color nuance.

No, I see no blue nuance on the IGI.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh! They’re gorgeous! They look so icy white!
I’m on the fence about getting a very small pair of lab studs. Putting the lab studs in the same category as your VCAs is good way to think of them..I’m having trouble with mind clean issues..I already have a 3.04 mined pair..but I want a small pair to wear when I want to be super low key. I just don’t want to spend the money for a really small mined pair. To tell you the truth I think I would have passed on my mined studs if lab diamonds were available..It’s a crazy amount to pay for something I can’t even see unless I pull my lobes out!

Having well cut lab stones that are affordable, clean and don't have the early lab stone issues can really throw a wrench into the plans. I didn't plan on buying labs at all, but when WF offered them I realized that there were well cut lab stones. I bought them thinking WF cut them, but oooops. Oh well. If you want small, well cut diamonds and don't want to pay a lot, I would totally consider labs. People on the lab forum are super helpful in finding nice stones, although the really nice ones are going pretty quickly since its the holidays. What tcw were you thinking? I think 1.5 ctw pair can be done for under $1K.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your lab journey is so interesting to me @LLJsmom. I have so many of the same emotional questions, for myself - I can see both mined and lab stones in my future but where exactly?

I know I don’t put the same “value” on lab stones as I do mined. Diamonds and other gems. Same as you. But that’s fine! Like, I also don’t value freshwater pearls the same as akoya, and yet I own and my freshies. One thing you wrote resonated especially strongly with me just now - that these two stones aren’t replacing similar mined diamonds because you don’t ever see yourself buying similar mined diamonds…

I guess there are two “types” of projects, then, for those of us who don’t value mined and lab diamonds the same way? Projects where using mined would have been reasonable and feasible but labs provided irresistible cost savings, and projects where lab diamonds enable something that’s out of reach (or practically impossible for some other reason) with mined… Actually, just writing this out here is helping me figure out how I feel. The first type of project, sure. I can do that. The second type I’m less comfy with, though, for me. It’s not logical at all! And I have no discomfort with that second for someone else who feels differently, who enjoys labs *because* they open more doors, permit new possibilities. And maybe this is also the the sort of thing where exposure changes your feelings? I don’t have any lab diamonds right now.

Well. Just my early morning musings.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Having well cut lab stones that are affordable, clean and don't have the early lab stone issues can really throw a wrench into the plans. I didn't plan on buying labs at all, but when WF offered them I realized that there were well cut lab stones. I bought them thinking WF cut them, but oooops. Oh well. If you want small, well cut diamonds and don't want to pay a lot, I would totally consider labs. People on the lab forum are super helpful in finding nice stones, although the really nice ones are going pretty quickly since its the holidays. What tcw were you thinking? I think 1.5 ctw pair can be done for under $1K.

Thanks @LLJsmom Yes..I was thinking 1.5 ctw..I want David Klass to set them in six prong crown settings like the travel moissanite studs I had that I gave to my friend. They were so cute..
My 3.04 mined studs are a G color. I don’t see any tint at all..My ACA is an F..I’m thinking of going to D E if they’re going to be that small. I have so much going on that I’m waiting until after Christmas. Then I’m asking for help..
I was very curious to see what the fuss was about when Lightbox came out with the lab diamonds. I bought a pendant to see what they looked like intending to return it. I must have hit the jackpot because the diamond is very white and cut pretty well. I think they sent out the best in the beginning..It sparkled like crazy. I put it in a custom bangle that DK made for my mined cushion. I wear that bracelet almost every day. I didn’t want to get Lightbox studs though..My mind clean issue is really for rings. I won’t get a lab diamond over mined for anything else other than the studs I plan to purchase. I love the idea of using them for other things but I know I’ll struggle with the mind clean aspect. I don’t think I will with these small studs.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @LLJsmom Yes..I was thinking 1.5 ctw..I want David Klass to set them in six prong crown settings like the travel moissanite studs I had that I gave to my friend. They were so cute..
My 3.04 mined studs are a G color. I don’t see any tint at all..My ACA is an F..I’m thinking of going to D E if they’re going to be that small. I have so much going on that I’m waiting until after Christmas. Then I’m asking for help..
I was very curious to see what the fuss was about when Lightbox came out with the lab diamonds. I bought a pendant to see what they looked like intending to return it. I must have hit the jackpot because the diamond is very white and cut pretty well. I think they sent out the best in the beginning..It sparkled like crazy. I put it in a custom bangle that DK made for my mined cushion. I wear that bracelet almost every day. I didn’t want to get Lightbox studs though..My mind clean issue is really for rings. I won’t get a lab diamond over mined for anything else other than the studs I plan to purchase. I love the idea of using them for other things but I know I’ll struggle with the mind clean aspect. I don’t think I will with these small studs.

This will be a very interesting time for many of us venturing into labs now. Each person's mind clean standard will be different and for different types of jewelry. For you, you need mind clean for rings. I can totally see that. I can see myself using one of the labs for my empty solitaire setting, as a substitute ering for when I am tired of my 3 stone, which happens a few times a year. I know I would NEVER buy another stone for a second ering because my brain simply cannot handle more than one "official" ering, which is my EMD three stone. So a lab is perfect for that purpose because I like the fact that technically it is a real diamond (I've tried using Berricles as candidates for #imboredofmyering days but the stones are just too ugly), but it is not trying to be my ering because it is a lab. The idiosyncrasies of our brains can be manifested in how we utilize lab diamonds. I don't mind it as a pendant because I don't use pendants as part of my daily bling uniform. Rings, bracelets and earrings are where I care.

The new year sounds like a good time to start looking, when they have replenished the supply. Ritani's prices are great, and with a little due diligence, I'm sure you will find very pretty studs. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your lab journey is so interesting to me @LLJsmom. I have so many of the same emotional questions, for myself - I can see both mined and lab stones in my future but where exactly?
I think you will find they fit somewhere, at some point. I can't wait to see what that might look like...
I know I don’t put the same “value” on lab stones as I do mined. Diamonds and other gems. Same as you. But that’s fine! Like, I also don’t value freshwater pearls the same as akoya, and yet I own and my freshies. One thing you wrote resonated especially strongly with me just now - that these two stones aren’t replacing similar mined diamonds because you don’t ever see yourself buying similar mined diamonds…
Yes, that is what my brain already does with my existing collection. There are pieces I value a lot and some less. It's based on some combination of cost and function. Since this is my first foray into labs, it will be interesting where these fall.

I guess there are two “types” of projects, then, for those of us who don’t value mined and lab diamonds the same way? Projects where using mined would have been reasonable and feasible but labs provided irresistible cost savings, and projects where lab diamonds enable something that’s out of reach (or practically impossible for some other reason) with mined… Actually, just writing this out here is helping me figure out how I feel. The first type of project, sure. I can do that. The second type I’m less comfy with, though, for me. It’s not logical at all! And I have no discomfort with that second for someone else who feels differently, who enjoys labs *because* they open more doors, permit new possibilities. And maybe this is also the the sort of thing where exposure changes your feelings? I don’t have any lab diamonds right now.

Well. Just my early morning musings.
Yes to the two types of projects for me too. Having purchased these beautiful lab stones, and knowing that I can make stunning studs may be enough. It's available to me, to have gorgeously well cut and huge diamond studs. But once I have them, will it be enough to satiate my craving for studs? Honestly I don't think I will know until I have them in my ears. I'm already thinking about a second set of studs, the original studs I wanted which are a pair of ideal cut OECs in a bezel. That is what I would love, but cannot afford at the moment. Maybe getting these is helping me clarify what I actually want. Hmmm...

But does that mean these studs wouldn't work out great and serve a purpose? Not necessarily. It is very hard for me to predict how I will love a piece over time. There are lower priced pieces that I bought with doubt, but yet became almost my most beloved piece (VCA sweet studs). Pieces that I thought I loved, but ended up wearing very little (vintage pave studs), and pieces that I loved at first sight and still reach for all the time (onyx and WG 5 motif). And the practicality of piece, which most of the time I don't discover until I've worn a piece for a while, can really put it at the top of my list.

Or do I forgo the stud idea and use these for a different purpose right off the bat. Is knowing I can use them for studs enough? Is the fact that I am considering other EMD studs a sign? Or do I bite the bullet, invest in the stud settings (about $1K), and just try them? The potential upside is that I love them and practicality overrules mind clean (or mind clean gets a new definition) and I can spend my $$$ elsewhere. Downside is I might not like them and repurpose to a pendant and ring. Or can I love them and still want a pair of OEC studs? I think I will go for the test stud situation. I've lost more money on the resale of a bag. That's where I am now. We'll see in two weeks.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you will find they fit somewhere, at some point. I can't wait to see what that might look like...

Yes, that is what my brain already does with my existing collection. There are pieces I value a lot and some less. It's based on some combination of cost and function. Since this is my first foray into labs, it will be interesting where these fall.

Yes to the two types of projects for me too. Having purchased these beautiful lab stones, and knowing that I can make stunning studs may be enough. It's available to me, to have gorgeously well cut and huge diamond studs. But once I have them, will it be enough to satiate my craving for studs? Honestly I don't think I will know until I have them in my ears. I'm already thinking about a second set of studs, the original studs I wanted which are a pair of ideal cut OECs in a bezel. That is what I would love, but cannot afford at the moment. Maybe getting these is helping me clarify what I actually want. Hmmm...

But does that mean these studs wouldn't work out great and serve a purpose? Not necessarily. It is very hard for me to predict how I will love a piece over time. There are lower priced pieces that I bought with doubt, but yet became almost my most beloved piece (VCA sweet studs). Pieces that I thought I loved, but ended up wearing very little (vintage pave studs), and pieces that I loved at first sight and still reach for all the time (onyx and WG 5 motif). And the practicality of piece, which most of the time I don't discover until I've worn a piece for a while, can really put it at the top of my list.

Or do I forgo the stud idea and use these for a different purpose right off the bat. Is knowing I can use them for studs enough? Is the fact that I am considering other EMD studs a sign? Or do I bite the bullet, invest in the stud settings (about $1K), and just try them? The potential upside is that I love them and practicality overrules mind clean (or mind clean gets a new definition) and I can spend my $$$ elsewhere. Downside is I might not like them and repurpose to a pendant and ring. Or can I love them and still want a pair of OEC studs? I think I will go for the test stud situation. I've lost more money on the resale of a bag. That's where I am now. We'll see in two weeks.

I totally get everything you’re saying..This is why I love it here..My friends would think I was nuts with the way I spend so much time thinking through jewelry purchases. I wrestled with lab diamonds since I got my very pretty Lightbox pendant. I really enjoy the diamond in my bangle even though I know it’s a Lightbox diamond. That is so surprising to me. I think when I get my lab studs I will love them just as much.
I can’t wait to see your diamonds set! :kiss2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is knowing I can use them for studs enough?
This is so insightful. I didn’t even consider this. It seems plausible.

I’m so interested to see what you decide. I winced at the description of resale losses but… You have a point :twisted2: and I know that you’re a “full package” kinda person when it comes to stone and mount and judging feelings…

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results