shape
carat
color
clarity

Marquise Cut - in, out or timeless

ArchieFrampton

Rough_Rock
I have been researching many different e-ring shapes, sizes, designs and whether or not to go with a gemstone instead of a diamond as the center piece. My partner has given me some guidance but still wants the end product to be a surprise. I have come up with a design that I think is both eye catching and very unique.

It involves a (rather large - approx 3c) fairly narrow marquise cut deep blue sapphire with a diamond halo and two small diamond banquettes slipped in there too. It is a very art deco inspired design). I think it looks great and very different/unique (though I hope not too different). Her finger is quite petite so it certainly will make a statement.

My question is, however, what are peoples thoughts on the marquise cut: If done right, is it a timeless design? Or is is old trend that shouldn't be repeated? My girl seems to really like it (and I know in teh end that's what counts) but I don't want her to grow tired of it.

Thanks for your input!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Done right, its timeless in my opinion.

Most fancy shapes can point to a time period. However, I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.

I LOVE a big marquise soli, they're so elegant, slimming, bold, and feminine.

The way you described the design your after, however, seems a bit 80s in my head. Can you explain how you got to your choice? Did she want a sapphire? Where will the baguettes go? Do you have an photos of setting idea as?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ArchieFrampton|1461634950|4023573 said:
I have been researching many different e-ring shapes, sizes, designs and whether or not to go with a gemstone instead of a diamond as the center piece. My partner has given me some guidance but still wants the end product to be a surprise. I have come up with a design that I think is both eye catching and very unique.

It involves a (rather large - approx 3c) fairly narrow marquise cut deep blue sapphire with a diamond halo and two small diamond banquettes slipped in there too. It is a very art deco inspired design). I think it looks great and very different/unique (though I hope not too different). Her finger is quite petite so it certainly will make a statement.

My question is, however, what are peoples thoughts on the marquise cut: If done right, is it a timeless design? Or is is old trend that shouldn't be repeated? My girl seems to really like it (and I know in teh end that's what counts) but I don't want her to grow tired of it.

Thanks for your input!

Has your GF actually seen the apx 3.0ct blue sapphire marquise gemstone you reference? Is it a blue shade that she likes?

Does she want a engagement ring that takes up a lot of finger real estate?

From your description of the setting, it sounds like wearing a wedding band with it might not be feasible - will this be okay with your GF/you?

Once you're talking colored gemstones and not diamonds, plus an Art Deco-ish setting, I'm not sure "in" or "out" really apply... if the sapphire is a nice color and well-cut, and the vintage-inspired setting is well-crafted, it will definitely be in the "timeless" category.

ArchieFrampton

Rough_Rock
Niel|1461635676|4023574 said:
Done right, its timeless in my opinion.

Most fancy shapes can point to a time period. However, I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.

I LOVE a big marquise soli, they're so elegant, slimming, bold, and feminine.

The way you described the design your after, however, seems a bit 80s in my head. Can you explain how you got to your choice? Did she want a sapphire? Where will the baguettes go? Do you have an photos of setting idea as?

The design is vintage/art deco inspired. I came to that choice because I really like the heirloom feel (as does she) of the art deco designs. She loves sapphires and wanted them in the ring in some capacity. I took the initiative to make it a bold centerpiece.

I don't have a photo of the setting/design as it is with the jeweler, however it very loosely resembles across between theses two photos; but obviously a sapphire instead of the diamond, with the baguettes breaking up the halo.

img-thing_1.jpg r829_2.jpg

ArchieFrampton

Rough_Rock
marymm|1461636225|4023575 said:
Has your GF actually seen the apx 3.0ct blue sapphire marquise gemstone you reference? Is it a blue shade that she likes?
She has seen a photo of the sapphire and yes, loves the shade of blue.

Does she want a engagement ring that takes up a lot of finger real estate?
From your description of the setting, it sounds like wearing a wedding band with it might not be feasible - will this be okay with your GF/you?
She doesn't wear any other rings or much jewelery, so possibly yes. I have considered the wedding band and I believe the wedding band should fit under the setting.

Once you're talking colored gemstones and not diamonds, plus an Art Deco-ish setting, I'm not sure "in" or "out" really apply... if the sapphire is a nice color and well-cut, and the vintage-inspired setting is well-crafted, it will definitely be in the "timeless" category.
That's what I'm hoping for!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are very pretty rings, provided that is what she wants and likes, I am sure it will be lovely. It might be worth keeping in mind there was another PSer or two that sold big Marquise rings because they were uncomfortable and didn't fit with every day wear, that would be the only downside I can see if she has small fingers a long thin ring that takes up lots of real estate vertically might not be that comfortable or practical to actually wear all the time.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few things to consider. Not everyone likes marquise shaped colored stones, and that includes people who like the shape in diamonds. Sounds like she does like it though, so good.
Don't let it get too long. here is an example of small finger with a mq. She couldn't have it more than (if I remember right) 23mm long before it would have hung over her knuckle making it unwearable.
Also, make sure you know that if you're bezeling this sapphire, it will make it darker. So if she likes the shade exactly , maybe prong set it to avoid it being dampened by the bezel.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think timeless when I think vintage, if I did, we wouldn't call it vintage we would call it timeless. How long has the Tiffany setting been around, no one calls that vintage.

Vintage ie the art deco era has really become popular in the last few years. Some say that will lead to a drop off in popularity in a few years. However, I wouldn't let that dictate if you should get it or not. If she loves it, she very well may not mind if this style is dated in a few years. People still wear their 90s princess cuts. And people still wear their 80s marquise with big gold guards because they love them. In 20 years the rose gold twisty rings in vogue now will look dated very "2010", but does that really matter?

Is the look you're describing timeless? I don't think so. But I don't think most styles are. This is 2016, its OK if you're ring looks like it came from 2016

ArchieFrampton

Rough_Rock
Niel|1461640209|4023596 said:
A few things to consider. Not everyone likes marquise shaped colored stones, and that includes people who like the shape in diamonds. Sounds like she does like it though, so good.
Don't let it get too long. here is an example of small finger with a mq. She couldn't have it more than (if I remember right) 23mm long before it would have hung over her knuckle making it unwearable.
Also, make sure you know that if you're bezeling this sapphire, it will make it darker. So if she likes the shade exactly , maybe prong set it to avoid it being dampened by the bezel.

Thanks for the advice Niel! I think the size I am going for will sit very similar to the photo you linked too (although a bit higher up, allowing a wedding band to fit underneath)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be the only one to disagree. If your SO is sure she wants a marquise, do not get her a skinny one. She's got petite fingers so go for a chubby one. And I would go with a diamond and keep the design simple so as not to overwhelm her petite fingers. I will search for one marquise that was quite clean, beautiful, modern and complementary to the wearer. A Halo'ed sapphire marquise should go on the right hand. My 2 c.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
It is bold for you to make the sapphire the main attraction - are you sure she will be into that? That's a BIG step that doesn't necessary follow from your girl wanting sapphires in the ring somehow. Also: I love marquise diamonds but not coloured stones - the whole looks changes. What you describe strikes me as rather 80s (I am getting glimpses of Princess Diana's e-ring).

kudos for taking the time to design your girl something she will love. :clap:

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I have a small elongated marquise diamond in an Art Deco ring and I love it. It is just such an elegant shape, in my opinion.

I have seen marquise cuts coming back into popularity amongst some of the much younger and cooler (than me on both counts!) crowd. In part I think as secondhand marquise cuts can be found for a steal at times so can work on a smaller budget (I have seen two people recently score lovely 1ct marquise diamonds for a song each on ebay and in a pawn shop), but also because what is old becomes new again. Given the cut dates back to the 18th century, I am sure it has cycled through popularity many times.

And how can you beat their face up size!

Like Niel, if you love something, I don't see why it matters if it is timeless or not. I often see younger women on some wedding forums worry so much about their ring being too trendy and dating them to 2016 or whatever. But if you are getting it as you love it, who cares? I work with plenty of woman who wear their marquise rings from the 80s, without ever resetting, and still adore their rings.

And how can you beat their face up size!

But... because of that I would also say, is if she does not wear much jewelry is that a marquise does face up large. This 3.12 ct sapphire marquise measures over 14mm tip to tip...add a halo to that and you are talking about a very long setting. Keep in mind this is a chunkier marquise, not a narrow one, so add on even more length to that...

http://eragem.com/vintage-3-carat-marquise-sapphire-engagement-ring-platinum.html

I know it is hard to imagine sometimes if you are on this forum a lot, but bigger is not always better, especially if you are talking about daily wear. Not everyone wants to "make a statement" with their engagement ring, especially at the cost of comfort or practicality. I also agree with those who asked you to be very sure she wants a sapphire marquise as the centre stone.

ETA: many times for wording, grammar, to add link I referenced, to edit my edit for spelling, it is too early in the morning!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marquise cuts can be timeless in the right setting. I really don't believe that any particular shape goes out of style. A well cut diamond lives forever!

I like those two vintage settings!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
love marquise, love the settings you posted! I have an EW set marquise and have an affinity for fancy cuts. :love:

But i have to echo some of the comments here. a approx 3ct marquise that is rather long as you say is going to be huge on petite fingers and with an added halo, it may just be too huge. Definitely make sure that the size is not overwhelming on her finger. A chubbier marquise may be necessary if you plan on going that big. When doing custom work, several here have suggested measuring out the stone, cutting it out and placing it on the finger to make sure the size is what you are looking for. If you're going custom, you definitely want it to look like it was made perfectly for her. And if she doesn't wear a lot of jewelry, you want it to be practical, too. you wouldn't want to create a beautiful ring that she feels is not practical enough for daily wear and just sits in a jewelry box, right? There is a member here that recently sold a STUNNING, very large marquise (i want to say around 3ct) due to lack of practicality. Just some food for thought..

edited for grammer :rolleyes:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1461647420|4023631 said:
I will be the only one to disagree. If your SO is sure she wants a marquise, do not get her a skinny one. She's got petite fingers so go for a chubby one. And I would go with a diamond and keep the design simple so as not to overwhelm her petite fingers. I will search for one marquise that was quite clean, beautiful, modern and complementary to the wearer. A Halo'ed sapphire marquise should go on the right hand. My 2 c.

I'm going to have to agree with all those that mentioned a 3 carat thin marquise is not going to be very wearable for a petite finger.
I suggest a smaller marquise. I'm also not sure that going with a sapphire for the main stone is a great idea just because she asked
for sapphires in her ring.

What it sounds like you are making to me would be a great right hand ring for special occasions...what she really needs is something
comfortable enough she can wear daily. I do think you have great taste but make sure what you design is good for an everyday ring.

I'm going to post one of my favorite marquise rings. It's set East/West (which may or may not be your thing), but it sure is pretty.
Could be done with a smaller marquise...looks very wearable. It also has small blue sapphires as accent stones (which I think you
should consider).

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/e-w-82-marquise-with-greenlake-jewelry-works-custom-setting.45411/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/e-w-82-marquise-with-greenlake-jewelry-works-custom-setting.45411/[/URL]

Just some things to consider but you know your GF better than we do.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can anyone find the relatively recent poster who had a three stone marquise? The two side stones were set east to west. You guys k ow which one I'm talking about? Need help finding it. Wanted to share the pic and the link.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I never get tired of looking at this ring. *le sigh* :drool:

Sounds like you've run the idea by of a sapphire instead of diamond as center stone. As long as she's ok with it, no biggie. but i wouldn't run with the idea unless she knows about it! so i was curious and i looked up a few marquise sapphires and looked at the measurements of some of the longer ones... i have small fingers (size 5.5 or so) and that size would be huge on me. Add a halo and way too big to be comfortable. Sorry to harp on it! But if you go custom, you should make sure it's perfect.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1461683385|4023775 said:
Can anyone find the relatively recent poster who had a three stone marquise? The two side stones were set east to west. You guys k ow which one I'm talking about? Need help finding it. Wanted to share the pic and the link.

How did i miss that? Now i'm intruiged! I'm going to stalk this post waiting to see pics. lol!

to the OP, check out Lookinagain's finished ring

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/need-help-finding-a-small-marquise-t218115-30.html

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since your girlfriend's fingers are petite, would she consider an east-west ring? It seems that would be a lot more wearable and comfortable for her.

Here are some of my favorite MQ settings. The first is my absolute favorite!
8c751c4ae6f1442db2f30fac6bfaabec.jpg
ddcb92e5745f2ebb9dfba9e55854ab05.jpg
b2157d0ad6abfbc20bd0031041448143.jpg
d7525968a34570b0e37edc6e86c2fb2b.jpg
e92a1e7a77c6fc277f2575a73a076777.jpg
fef2353423839dcb4f81f8f709dd9d2a.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't set a skinny 3 ct sapphire sideways on a small finger. It's like to take up too much finger real estate

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel said:
I wouldn't set a skinny 3 ct sapphire sideways on a small finger. It's like to take up too much finger real estate

Oh, is he definitely going with the 3 ct?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1461687641|4023811 said:
Niel said:

Sounds like it, but regardless I felt it should be mentioned l

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel said:
msop04|1461687641|4023811 said:
Niel said:

Sounds like it, but regardless I felt it should be mentioned l

Yes... Most definitely. I just think a 3 ct MQ is going to be way too long for a petite finger. [emoji15] Maybe not? [emoji16][emoji16]

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 3ct PLUS marquise PLUS a halo is going to be too big. I like the 3 stone setting that someone posted above, much more simple and wearable. Marquise already face up larger, and 3ct is a really large size.

I've been really drawn to marquise cuts lately as well. I think with a nice simple setting they look amazing - it is the over done BIG settings that make them look 80s to me.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
sorry for bombarding this thread!

Finally found the setting i was thinking of. Insanely gorgeous large marquise, i love this setting, might be close to what you're looking for. Beautiful and flowing setting by David Klass.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/3-15ct-antique-marquise-cut-diamond-solitaire-gia-w-x-si2#.Voihh5OANBc

photos and video
https://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/VintageInspired-and-Contempora/315ct-Antique-Marquise-Cut/

Rainbowdash's original post on the stone/ring
/user

LLJsmom said:

oh, that is SO pretty! i love pears with marquise!

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
farrahlyn|1461691959|4023831 said:
sorry for bombarding this thread!

Finally found the setting i was thinking of. Insanely gorgeous large marquise, i love this setting, might be close to what you're looking for. Beautiful and flowing setting by David Klass.

----

photos and video
----

Rainbowdash's original post on the stone/ring
/user

I adore that ring, and it is a good one to reference to OP as well for more than the setting as the marquise is very long (17mm) and if I recall correctly one of the reasons rainbowdash opted to sell it was because she did not find it practical for daily wear (and even debated recutting it to an oval). So, if he is looking at an elongated 3ct marquise plus halo, he is looking at that length plus.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you are taking a huge chance here.

aftereffects15

Rough_Rock
I took the initiative to make it a bold centerpiece

Are you sure this is what she wants? Most of my friends that have gone with colored stones for engagement rings love them because they're modest, understated and not as attention grabbing/showy as diamonds, which is the opposite of what this ring is sounding like Does she wear a lot of very bold costume jewelry? What's her style like?

What you're designing sounds like a very unique and beautiful ring but I would err on the side of being conservative with something she will wear everyday (and probably feel guilty if she's not wearing). Maybe you could save this design idea for a future right hand ring?

ArchieFrampton

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the comments and points everyone! Right here's my go at a response...
Fulvia|1461661777|4023667 said:
It is bold for you to make the sapphire the main attraction - are you sure she will be into that? That's a BIG step that doesn't necessary follow from your girl wanting sapphires in the ring somehow. Also: I love marquise diamonds but not coloured stones - the whole looks changes. What you describe strikes me as rather 80s (I am getting glimpses of Princess Diana's e-ring)
She has on many occasions confirmed she wants a sapphire…the Diana ring I guess was her inspiration.

I have shown her a sketch of the design (as well as a cut-out) and confirmed several times if a sapphire as the center stone is what she wants and she has said yes. I’ve also re-iterated that the size will be quite big and she seemed quite happy with it. I showed her two other very different much smaller shaped designs I had sketched (cushion cut design) and she chose the marquise every time. So as much it surprised me (she is rather conservative and modest in her fashion and dress sense) she does seem to have her heart set on this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results