shape
carat
color
clarity

Marquise Cut - in, out or timeless

ArchieFrampton

Rough_Rock
farrahlyn|1461677877|4023733 said:
But i have to echo some of the comments here. a approx 3ct marquise that is rather long as you say is going to be huge on petite fingers and with an added halo, it may just be too huge. Definitely make sure that the size is not overwhelming on her finger. A chubbier marquise may be necessary if you plan on going that big. When doing custom work, several here have suggested measuring out the stone, cutting it out and placing it on the finger to make sure the size is what you are looking for.
Great idea with cutting out a template but I am a step ahead of you :D I had the jeweller cut out 1:1 scale of the ring (stone and halo setting) so while it does take a lot of real estate on her finger it does seem to fit…well as much as can be seen from a piece of paper. So actual dimensions of the ring is about 17mm length by 11mm width. The stone itself is about 12mmx6mm

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aftereffects15|1461709449|4023938 said:
I took the initiative to make it a bold centerpiece

Are you sure this is what she wants? Most of my friends that have gone with colored stones for engagement rings love them because they're modest, understated and not as attention grabbing/showy as diamonds, which is the opposite of what this ring is sounding like Does she wear a lot of very bold costume jewelry? What's her style like?

What you're designing sounds like a very unique and beautiful ring but I would err on the side of being conservative with something she will wear everyday (and probably feel guilty if she's not wearing). Maybe you could save this design idea for a future right hand ring?

Take a gander over at the colored stones side sometimes... Lots of people like a colored stone for their bold pop of color and eye catching presence.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ArchieFrampton|1461721443|4023998 said:
Thanks for all the comments and points everyone! Right here's my go at a response...
Fulvia|1461661777|4023667 said:
It is bold for you to make the sapphire the main attraction - are you sure she will be into that? That's a BIG step that doesn't necessary follow from your girl wanting sapphires in the ring somehow. Also: I love marquise diamonds but not coloured stones - the whole looks changes. What you describe strikes me as rather 80s (I am getting glimpses of Princess Diana's e-ring)
She has on many occasions confirmed she wants a sapphire…the Diana ring I guess was her inspiration.

I have shown her a sketch of the design (as well as a cut-out) and confirmed several times if a sapphire as the center stone is what she wants and she has said yes. I’ve also re-iterated that the size will be quite big and she seemed quite happy with it. I showed her two other very different much smaller shaped designs I had sketched (cushion cut design) and she chose the marquise every time. So as much it surprised me (she is rather conservative and modest in her fashion and dress sense) she does seem to have her heart set on this.

If she has her heart sent on it. :) Totally do it! Is there a reason she doesn't want a diana ring style? Just do that? Or she wants it more unique?

ArchieFrampton

Rough_Rock
msop04|1461689040|4023819 said:
Niel said:
msop04|1461687641|4023811 said:
Niel said:
I wouldn't set a skinny 3 ct sapphire sideways on a small finger. It's like to take up too much finger real estate
Oh, is he definitely going with the 3 ct?
Sounds like it, but regardless I felt it should be mentioned l
Yes... Most definitely. I just think a 3 ct MQ is going to be way too long for a petite finger. [emoji15] Maybe not? [emoji16][emoji16]
The stone is is tad over 3 ct and it is a beautiful stone which is what drew me to it. The actual dimensions of the ring is about 17mm length by 11mm width. The stone itself is about 12mmx6mm

She is now in love the ring design, but I suppose I just want to make sure that she'll be happy over the long run (more so the comfort factor) as you all know, an e-ring is not a cheap purchase!

ArchieFrampton

Rough_Rock
Niel|1461721693|4024005 said:
If she has her heart sent on it. :) Totally do it! Is there a reason she doesn't want a diana ring style? Just do that? Or she wants it more unique?
While she loves the Diana ring style she doesn't want to copy it. She (and I) wants her own style reflected. I guess I'm just trying to cover all bases, when you love a design you don't see the potential faults in it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ArchieFrampton|1461723206|4024015 said:
Niel|1461721693|4024005 said:
While she loves the Diana ring style she doesn't want to copy it. She (and I) wants her own style reflected. I guess I'm just trying to cover all bases, when you love a design you don't see the potential faults in it.

But by the nature of the shape, the marquise, it is already not the Diana ring. What I'm asking I guess is why not make it a classic halo if she is modeling her ring after that anyways and you're concerned about timelessness

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ArchieFrampton|1461722725|4024008 said:
msop04|1461689040|4023819 said:
Niel said:
msop04|1461687641|4023811 said:
Niel said:
I wouldn't set a skinny 3 ct sapphire sideways on a small finger. It's like to take up too much finger real estate
Oh, is he definitely going with the 3 ct?
Sounds like it, but regardless I felt it should be mentioned l
Yes... Most definitely. I just think a 3 ct MQ is going to be way too long for a petite finger. [emoji15] Maybe not? [emoji16][emoji16]
The stone is is tad over 3 ct and it is a beautiful stone which is what drew me to it. The actual dimensions of the ring is about 17mm length by 11mm width. The stone itself is about 12mmx6mm

She is now in love the ring design, but I suppose I just want to make sure that she'll be happy over the long run (more so the comfort factor) as you all know, an e-ring is not a cheap purchase!

I suspect people here may not be remeo that sapphires do not have the same weight as diamonds, nor are they cut the same way. So it is not going to be the same size as a 3 ct, as you're showing by the mm you just posted, white the opposite.

ArchieFrampton

Rough_Rock
Niel|1461723672|4024017 said:
But by the nature of the shape, the marquise, it is already not the Diana ring. What I'm asking I guess is why not make it a classic halo if she is modeling her ring after that anyways and you're concerned about timelessness
The design I'm considering is an art deco take on the classic halo, so I suppose I'm on the right track at least :D

Niel|1461723772|4024018 said:
I suspect people here may not be remeo that sapphires do not have the same weight as diamonds, nor are they cut the same way. So it is not going to be the same size as a 3 ct, as you're showing by the mm you just posted, white the opposite.
Agreed! Size wise, a 3ct sapphire is probably around 30% smaller than a 3ct diamond (at a guess).

aftereffects15

Rough_Rock
Niel|1461721574|4024002 said:
aftereffects15|1461709449|4023938 said:
I took the initiative to make it a bold centerpiece

Are you sure this is what she wants? Most of my friends that have gone with colored stones for engagement rings love them because they're modest, understated and not as attention grabbing/showy as diamonds, which is the opposite of what this ring is sounding like Does she wear a lot of very bold costume jewelry? What's her style like?

What you're designing sounds like a very unique and beautiful ring but I would err on the side of being conservative with something she will wear everyday (and probably feel guilty if she's not wearing). Maybe you could save this design idea for a future right hand ring?

Take a gander over at the colored stones side sometimes... Lots of people like a colored stone for their bold pop of color and eye catching presence.

There are many stunning eye catching colored stone rings but from what I've seen they tend to be right hand rings that can be matched with outfit rather than something that is expected to be worn every single day while engaged. That said you know her best and you seem very set on this design, follow your heart. I'm sure it will turn out beautifully and she will be overjoyed.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you are getting her exactly what she wants. Good for you! Personally it would not be at all my style, but to each his own!

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm a thread lurker coming to say: Now that I know this is exactly what she wants, I can't WAIT to see the finished project! :naughty:

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
if she is totally on board then go for it! :dance: I can't wait to see the finished product, definitely will be eye catching and quite a statement. I used to work with a girl that had a black onyx stone in a halo as her e-ring. Lots of finger coverage and totally unique.... totally fit her style.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a marquise and sapphires are classic and timeless.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since this is what she wants, then absolutely go for it! It'll be unique and beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished product!! [emoji1360]

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
One of my best friends has a gorgeous, largish marquise diamond set in a simple classic plain solitaire that she wears with a plain band and it is breathtakingly beautiful! It is not a shape that I see much of, but I think it is classic and timeless. I can't wait to see what you end up getting! :wavey:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
RetroTreeGal said:
I'm a thread lurker coming to say: Now that I know this is exactly what she wants, I can't WAIT to see the finished project! :naughty:

Me too!!!

ArchieFrampton

Rough_Rock
I've taken the plunge and gone for it! It's just a waiting game now until it's been made. Will post some pics in a few weekes when it's ready :D

ArchieFrampton

Rough_Rock
Sorry it's taken me so long to post the final product. Been way too busy with the whole engagement phase.
BUT the ring....she loved it! Can't stop showing it off so I'm very happy with the design my jeweler came up with

ring_153.jpg ring2_85.jpg

Reactions: D&T

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful ring, ArchieF. It's classic, and the original halo design gives it an interesting twist. And most importantly, your fiancée loves it. You did well.
Congratulations on your engagement and best wishes.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just read the whole thread and I did not expect the final result to look as amazing as it does. What a lovely ring! Good call on that design. Congratulations on your engagement and absolutely nailing it with the ring.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree! Utterly gorgeous ring, that somehow looks both modern AND classic! Would love to see hand shots :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results