shape
carat
color
clarity

Mall Diamond Clarity and Suggestions

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much everyone! I will look through the designs tomorrow. David came back and said he could do a gallery much like you posted:
42730-quad.png
VC is suggesting a braid that separates out into the stems holding up the halo like this ring:
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/braided-shank-halo-solitaire
2018-02-05_22-11-50.png

I have not decided on the center diamond and that brings me to some dumb questions I need you guys to answer:
1. 14k or 18k white gold? Seems the consensus online is 14k because it is harder and resist more wear.
2. What to value higher? VS1 over VS2 or G over H color. It seems I can see a large difference between the plots of the VS1 and VS2. I know this will not be seen by the naked eye. On the other hand is there a large difference in color between G and H?

Thank You all again! I'm sure @rockysalamander will have some input on these questions.
Platinum is my choice, as well.
I don't think most can tell G from H (or ever E from H). Some, however, are highly observant.

On the halo. I'd suggest changes.
(1) reduce the size of the inner halo melee to 1 pt.
(2) add curvature to the "straight" sides like the Tacori below. The CAD is a rounded square...cushions are all curves.
(3) Ask DK to tilt the halo stone ~20 degrees off of level outward. As shown, you will barely see anything from the side. The tilted stones will provide a MUCH improved side profile and sparkle from more angles.
(4) If she intends to wear this on a necklace, I would bead-set the pave on the shank and outer halo (less important on the inner halo). Otherwise, it will be very scratchy and uncomfortable to wear.

CURVED EDGES OF CUSHION HALO
upload_2018-2-6_6-55-13.png
http://www.since1910.com/tacori-ht2...IdS5BcfqMce3s2BhDOlZAKPjQil249RhoCM6gQAvD_BwE

I would NOT use a twisted shank as shown by VC. She didn't pin anything like that. You can ask DK to widen the legs of the shank that touch the halo so there is more of a split shank at the top (which she did pin several version of).

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-6_6-53-42.png
    upload_2018-2-6_6-53-42.png
    160.5 KB · Views: 21
  • upload_2018-2-6_7-3-12.png
    upload_2018-2-6_7-3-12.png
    222.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much everyone! I will look through the designs tomorrow. David came back and said he could do a gallery much like you posted:
42730-quad.png
VC is suggesting a braid that separates out into the stems holding up the halo like this ring:
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/braided-shank-halo-solitaire
2018-02-05_22-11-50.png

I have not decided on the center diamond and that brings me to some dumb questions I need you guys to answer:
1. 14k or 18k white gold? Seems the consensus online is 14k because it is harder and resist more wear.
2. What to value higher? VS1 over VS2 or G over H color. It seems I can see a large difference between the plots of the VS1 and VS2. I know this will not be seen by the naked eye. On the other hand is there a large difference in color between G and H?

Thank You all again! I'm sure @rockysalamander will have some input on these questions.

I like the CAD DK has provided much better than VC's idea... I like symmetry, and it would bug me that it's not symmetrical -- but that's just me. I would go with DK. His work is EXCELLENT, esp since the addition of his uber bench. He will be much less expensive then VC as well. If you could swing platinum, I would do that... but if not, I'd go with DK's 14K alloy that doesn't require plating.

You will be fine with H color. H is white. There isn't that much difference in a G and H... I doubt you'd be able to pick them apart if looking at them face up. Also, I would almost definitely go with VS or even eye clean SI... if it's clean, then it's clean. No reason to pay extra for what the eye cannot perceive, and no one will be pulling out their loupes to look at the ring. ;-) To me, the best value in a "white" diamond is H/SI1 that is eye clean. Throw in some fluorescence and I'm in love!

JordanM

Rough_Rock
Premium
I thought platinum antiques and patinas over time. I know she likes really shiny things and sparkle so I'm not sure if she would like the platinum. Also I thought it is a softer metal that is more easily scratched but it is all the same color so you don't notice it as much.

I gave David the suggestions and am waiting to hear back from him. I think I will go with David for the setting and VC for the center diamond.

VC came back and offered an interesting proposal but I'm pretty sure none of the rings she pinned are cathedrals:
Hi Jordan,
Hope you’re doing great. I’ve been following your conversation with Nic.
I’ve had a cathedral braided design in mind and I would love it if you would be the first person to let me try this design. I know this might be a little bit of a leap of faith on your part but to make sure that you’re 100% happy, I’d be happy to take back the design and offer you a refund for the setting if you don’t like it.
The design is a cathedral band that’s braided. The braids though have a small separation in between them as they meet. I think it would be beautiful with a double halo.
Let me know what you think.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought platinum antiques and patinas over time. I know she likes really shiny things and sparkle so I'm not sure if she would like the platinum. Also I thought it is a softer metal that is more easily scratched but it is all the same color so you don't notice it as much.

I gave David the suggestions and am waiting to hear back from him. I think I will go with David for the setting and VC for the center diamond.

VC came back and offered an interesting proposal but I'm pretty sure none of the rings she pinned are cathedrals:
Hi Jordan,
Hope you’re doing great. I’ve been following your conversation with Nic.
I’ve had a cathedral braided design in mind and I would love it if you would be the first person to let me try this design. I know this might be a little bit of a leap of faith on your part but to make sure that you’re 100% happy, I’d be happy to take back the design and offer you a refund for the setting if you don’t like it.
The design is a cathedral band that’s braided. The braids though have a small separation in between them as they meet. I think it would be beautiful with a double halo.
Let me know what you think.
Are the two settings similar in price between VC and DK? I think she would like a braided style like he described, but it is a big leap of faith. I have no question of his taste, design and execution. But, are you willing to simply drop the reins and give over all design and control? You seem to really want to design this for her. You have someone that can execute your vision who is masterful at his craft v.s. a recognized pave master offering you first of its kind setting. Hard choice.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like VCs proposal, practically you have nothing to lose.. maybe some time if you are not happy with the end result, but it will probably come out amazing. The ring that DK is designing is “cathedral” style (shank meets head), the initial proposal by VC was not a cathedral style. Victor has an amazing eye for proportions and aesthetics which I think is something really important for this ring considering that your SOs ring size is so tiny. Btw a friend of mine has the same ring size and she went with a similar style ring - halo and braided shank.

Here is a picture of the ring on her hand (center stone - 0.5ct)
69EF4171-5C4A-4D6C-9C6E-AEAD0BA2F41A.jpeg

JordanM

Rough_Rock
Premium
I will try to get some kind of representation of VC on what he is thinking and proposing for a design. David came back and said: "I will add your changes. I think you get a bit less sparkle and more of a metal look if you pave/bead set the diamonds. The twist shank options you first sent me were set with a more U-Pave. But both ways would be beautiful. Thanks David"

SimoneDi: that is a really nice ring!

I like having so much control over the design which is probably why I am leaning towards DK but it seems that VC is held in a higher regard.

Am I correct that a platinum ring will loose its shine faster than a 14k due to the metal being softer and more susceptible to scratching?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will try to get some kind of representation of VC on what he is thinking and proposing for a design. David came back and said: "I will add your changes. I think you get a bit less sparkle and more of a metal look if you pave/bead set the diamonds. The twist shank options you first sent me were set with a more U-Pave. But both ways would be beautiful. Thanks David"

SimoneDi: that is a really nice ring!

I like having so much control over the design which is probably why I am leaning towards DK but it seems that VC is held in a higher regard.

Am I correct that a platinum ring will loose its shine faster than a 14k due to the metal being softer and more susceptible to scratching?

They are both great designers. DK is super nice and easy to communicate with, which I am sure you are already experiencing. VC is an artist, I have not gotten the chance to work with him yet, but I have reached out for quotes in the past. VCs work is beautiful and I love pretty much everything that he has created, but you need to be comfortable with the process. I am someone who likes to have a lot of control, but I would absolutely trust Victor, especially if I know that the end result may be returnable! For all it’s worth, I love VC braided shank - it looks so delicate and beautiful.

Go with platinum for this ring. Platinum never needs to be replated and you would want strong platinum prongs holding the tiny meleè diamonds. VC only works with platinum for a white metal.

I am glad you like the ring. It was purchased on a much smaller budget, but it is still one of my favorite rings and it looks wonderful and very proportionate on my friend’s small hand ;-)

Last edited:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The offer from Victor is a huge opportunity with no down side that I can see if the ring is within your budget. Just having received a first Victor original design I will wholeheartedly recommend him. David is also excellent and I have many of his designs. If you are leaning toward Victor it would not be fair to waste much more of David's time on CADs as he still has to pay the designer. I agree with using platinum.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Knowing that Victor would allow a return if you're not happy (I would make sure it's a complete refund, not a credit) I would absolutely let Victor try, he's a master!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the ring were for me* I could not pass up that offer from Victor. If I were you I would try to get a drawing (or something) that shows what he is
talking about. His work is amazing!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VC for sure since there is no downside. You’ve got good timing that he happened to want to try a braided pave style now. I am confident you and your fiancé would love his work.

JordanM

Rough_Rock
Premium
Victor just sent me the sketch and I have to say it does look pretty amazing. He also said: "To clarify, the diamonds would be set with u-cut pave to minimize metal. I think it would be a gorgeous piece."
What are your guys thoughts?
IMG_0001.jpg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love:
Victor just sent me the sketch and I have to say it does look pretty amazing. What are your guys thoughts?
IMG_0001.jpg
Yes, gorgeous! Please go for it! I cannot wait to see how this turns out. You can purchase a stacker band or your band from DK and that way give them both some business since they have been very welcoming and accommodating. But I absolutely love, love what VC will do with this ring!!:love:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go for VC, you need to let DK know asap since he has done a lot of work for you.

Just asking because I don't know the answer: would op owe dk any money at this point for his time and work?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can't go wrong with VC and at this point, you hand it to him and sit back and let him do his thing.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go for VC, you need to let DK know asap since he has done a lot of work for you.

Just asking because I don't know the answer: would op owe dk any money at this point for his time and work?
No, he wouldn’t.

Edit: But in my mind it would be nice to get something from him as a “thank you for spending the time”. DK is so, so nice and always offers to do drawings for people without any commitments. I find it very unusual and not frequently seen with other vendors.

Btw DK opened an Etsy shop, I love some of the stacker bands that he has!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, he wouldn’t.

Edit: But in my mind it would be nice to get something from him as a “thank you for spending the time”. DK is so, so nice and always offers to do drawings for people without any commitments. I find it very unusual and not frequently seen with other vendors.

Btw DK opened an Etsy shop, I love some of the stacker bands that he has!
yes, those stacker bands are nice!!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor just sent me the sketch and I have to say it does look pretty amazing. He also said: "To clarify, the diamonds would be set with u-cut pave to minimize metal. I think it would be a gorgeous piece."
What are your guys thoughts?
IMG_0001.jpg

This will be absolutely amazing! Do it please! Very nice of him to draw up such a nice depiction as well. She will love it.

I agree that a nod to David for spending so much time working with you is appropriate. He and Amy are wonderfully helpful people who want you to be happy. They do not charge ahead of time for all of the work they do.

JordanM

Rough_Rock
Premium
Is there anything in particular that I should tell VC or just let him make it? I'm guessing I should tell him that I want the bottom not braided in case it needs to be resized? What about all the information about tilting the halos and bead setting? What is a stacker band? What should VC know from me?
I think that is what I will do, I will purchase the wedding band from David and the ring from VC.
What are your thoughts @rockysalamander ?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there anything in particular that I should tell VC or just let him make it? I'm guessing I should tell him that I want the bottom not braided in case it needs to be resized? What about all the information about tilting the halos and bead setting? What is a stacker band? What should VC know from me?
I think that is what I will do, I will purchase the wedding band from David and the ring from VC.
What are your thoughts @rockysalamander ?

Victor is good about designing his rings in a way to be able to be resized, but very minimally. Please get the ring size right. He is also a master of tilting his halos, so no need to tell him anything about that.

A “stacker band” is a fun band that can be stacked with the e-ring or worn on its own for the occasions when the diamonds are left at home. It can be a right hand ring as well. Here are some of my favorite DK stacker bands: https://www.etsy.com/listing/571754506/14k-solid-gold-flower-eternity-band?ref=shop_home_active_37
https://www.etsy.com/listing/586676555/15mm-solid-white-gold-twisted-rope?ref=shop_home_active_28

I will have VC make your SOs band if you go for anything “matchy” or you can get a plain band from DK because the ring will already have so much going on and I don’t think that a diamond band is needed, but your SO will be the decision maker there ;-)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Both designs are gorgeous--and have different elements that make it so. Tough decision. But if it were in my budget, I would probably choose the VC "Original".

cheers--Sharon

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After seeing the drawing...I'm sold on the VC (if within budget).

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree that drawing looks like it will be gorgeous.. sounds like a great opportunity with no risk.. I'd go with Victor..

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @SimoneDi in that you will not have to tell Victor anything. You can and should ask about the shank if you want to be sure about being able to resize in the future. But please be sure about her finger size as resizing with pave on the shank is minimal. David can definitely make the band for you.

JordanM

Rough_Rock
Premium
Victor sent me the quote and it is definitely do-able because hes giving me a slight deal. He also said that

"I can do the band so that it’s resizable although I love the look of the marquise shapes going all the way around. Technically even that can be re-sized although you would see the seem slightly.
Let me know which diamond you had in mind and we can take it from there. I would highly recommend one of our Canera Ideal Hearts - Super Ideal Hearts & Arrows diamonds to pair with this ring."

I told him I will absolutely be getting an ideal hearts and arrows between 1.25 and 1.5cts.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor sent me the quote and it is definitely do-able because hes giving me a slight deal. He also said that

"I can do the band so that it’s resizable although I love the look of the marquise shapes going all the way around. Technically even that can be re-sized although you would see the seem slightly.
Let me know which diamond you had in mind and we can take it from there. I would highly recommend one of our Canera Ideal Hearts - Super Ideal Hearts & Arrows diamonds to pair with this ring."

I told him I will absolutely be getting an ideal hearts and arrows between 1.25 and 1.5cts.

Sounds good. Here is to setting a benchmark. No pun intended.:P2

cheers--Sharon

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do you think he means just marquise shapes or marquise diamonds down the sides? If it was to be more resizable, only the bottom would differ. So, I'm not sure what he means.

To me, this would be marquise shaped opening (but he shows pave on the marquise face, not sides).
upload_2018-2-7_18-41-23.png

These are pears that are set into the openings, but same concept.
upload_2018-2-7_18-42-1.png

JordanM

Rough_Rock
Premium
I believe he is just talking about the marques being the opening between the braids. Now I think I need your help picking out the main diamond @rockysalamander :
My range is H or G, VS1 to VS2 between 1.3-1.5cts for $~11,500. It looks like there are 4 on his website with sku:
z7ymn1, ags104093675003 , ags104095645006 , ags104097665005.
The z7ymn1 is AGS104082555005.
z7ymn1 looks to be the cleanest from the lab report.
ags104093675003 looks like it has a lot of feathering around the outside.
ags104095645006 looks like a lot of clouds and crystals right in the center.
ags104097665005 has a lot of imperfections throughout the diamond.

But I really do not know what I am looking at so an expert opinion would be helpful. :)

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since we know VC will assure if something is eyeclean, I'm dropping to SI1 - but ignore me if that does not suit.

1) https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104096334008-1.310-g-si1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round (6.97, if eye-clean and the lower price is more important to you; $10,706)

2) https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104097665005-1.322-h-vs1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round - z7ymn1 above (7.01 mm, if you don't mind the price; $11,324)

3) https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/5y7429-1.302-i-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round {7.02 mm, $9454. This is an I color. So, this drops the price, holds size equal, lowers color. In a VC ideal, I don't worry too much about color. You could ask VC to show you a side-by-side side view of the H above and this one to see if you detect any color. If VC sets the center stone low in the halo, as he usually does, there is little side view available}

JordanM

Rough_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results