shape
carat
color
clarity

Mall Diamond Clarity and Suggestions

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to chime in to say that she really needs to bring some latex gloves to try on settings... as someone who used to have a pave halo and works in the medical field, I can tell you IT IS A PAIN to wash your hands and A HUGE PITA when putting on gloves. They would rip a lot, and I know she will tire of that very quickly. If she wants to wear this ring to work (and not on a necklace), I would suggest bright cut pave and/or a bezel. DK just did a bezel with an airline halo in bright cut pave, and it is very low profile and super easy to wear gloves and wash my hands. You may want to consider at least showing her some of VC's/DK's halos with either or both of these.

Here are some photos to show what I mean by bright cut pave (look at the halo)... and of course, the center stone is bezeled, but you could still use prongs. Notice how low it sets and the angle of the halo is the same as the stone. You won't find that at the mall jewelers.

For reference, my finger size is 4.75 and the center stone is 7.7 mm. Overall size is 12.9 mm, and it covers almost all of my finger. I don't think I could realistically wear one that was more than 15 mm or so...

DK Halo 4.jpg DK Halo 8.jpg DK Halo with ering 2.jpg

JordanM

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone. DK is making a wax mold which is great! msop04 what size is your center stone?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone. DK is making a wax mold which is great! msop04 what size is your center stone?

My center stone is a 7.7 mm (1.84 ct) OEC.
I think you will be very pleased with DK's bench... (request his uber bench... it may take a little longer, but soooo worth it!)

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a heads up:I have recently worked with DK and was VERY impressed by his customer service.
@msop04 your oec :love: :love::love::love::love:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring is bright cut pave with a bezel, I would recommend it to anyone who loves the style but actually has to use their hands. I have had my ring for over 10 years and I've never lost a stone, it was made by DBL. If I had the budget I would absolutely choose Victor because it's hand forged and just seems extra special, he also seems like such a pleasant er 1.jpg person.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @kipari! And, yes, DK's work has been superb as of late...
It has and I love your ring. He is so pleasant to work with as well.

Excited to see your wax if you will post it OP.

JordanM

Rough_Rock
Premium
Absolutely will when I receive it. This weekend a neil lane commercial came on and she said how much she liked the halos that were in the commercial so I asked her how she expected to wear that at her job. She said that she would either flip it so the diamond was facing inward while wearing gloves or where it on a necklace so I guess that answers that question.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely will when I receive it. This weekend a neil lane commercial came on and she said how much she liked the halos that were in the commercial so I asked her how she expected to wear that at her job. She said that she would either flip it so the diamond was facing inward while wearing gloves or where it on a necklace so I guess that answers that question.

Again, I don't think that will work. It'll be better than it facing upward, but she really needs to consider how many times a day she has to put on gloves. I'm a pharmacist, so I had to put on gloves a lot less than a nurse would (and mostly only during flu season). Turning it around will help (which is what I did for a while), but the gloves still ripped a lot of the time, in my experience.

Also, It's a lot harder to notice a tear if it's on the bottom/palm side of gloves... I'd hate for her to risk unknowingly exposing herself to pathogens because the ring ripped her glove and she didn't know it.

I would strongly consider getting the lowest profile possible, only bright cut pave, and maybe even a bezel.

JordanM

Rough_Rock
Premium
I think ultimately she will have to be wearing it on a necklace even if she went with the bright cut pave. She is a PA by the way.

This is what David said and the designs he has drawn up. Please let me know your thoughts to Davids questions and how you think this compares to the rings she has picked in post 1?:
Hi Jordan,
Do you like a basic ring structure like this? At the moment I have designed the ring so a wedding band can sit flush (see attached picture), would you like to see any other design under the head of the ring? One of the design images you sent had some designs under the band/shank of the ring like the last attached picture. Shall I draw something similar? Let me know any other changes you might want to see? The cads show a lot of metal around the stones, once the setter hand carves the setting you will hardly see any metal only diamonds. Also the prongs are open on the center stone now. The setter will cut them down and carve them so you will see very little of them, I have to leave him some metal to work with. Thanks David
42730-QUAD.jpg 42730-quad.png Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 12.20.16 PM.png

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think ultimately she will have to be wearing it on a necklace even if she went with the bright cut pave. She is a PA by the way.

This is what David said and the designs he has drawn up. Please let me know your thoughts to Davids questions and how you think this compares to the rings she has picked in post 1?:
Hi Jordan,
Do you like a basic ring structure like this? At the moment I have designed the ring so a wedding band can sit flush (see attached picture), would you like to see any other design under the head of the ring? One of the design images you sent had some designs under the band/shank of the ring like the last attached picture. Shall I draw something similar? Let me know any other changes you might want to see? The cads show a lot of metal around the stones, once the setter hand carves the setting you will hardly see any metal only diamonds. Also the prongs are open on the center stone now. The setter will cut them down and carve them so you will see very little of them, I have to leave him some metal to work with. Thanks David
42730-QUAD.jpg 42730-quad.png Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 12.20.16 PM.png

PA... gotcha! I really like the direction this is going. The only things I would have DK tweek is to tilt the halo at the same angle as the crown of the center stone. I would also have him make the halos more curved/cushiony, rather than the sharper angles - this may very well be done in polishing/finishing, but I'd let him know if you'd rather it be a softer edged halo. As shown, it looks very square... if that is what she wants, then disregard. ;-)

Regarding the gallery... there are so many pretty galleries out there. Let me see if I can find some I like that DK has already done.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to add that whatever you decide for the gallery design, just make sure she'll be able to get to the underside of the diamond for cleaning.

ETA: I rather like the simple gallery... and I don't care for the Verragio one posted.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, the shank is a bit wide, especially when you add a band. I'd try to get it to about 2.8-3.0 mm if possible.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like the infinity design, she has that posted numerous times. i do wonder though if the very bottom of the ring though should be without the infinity in case it ever needs to be resized. Fingers can get bigger with pregnancy, weight gain and just plain ol aging. maybe the infinity design can stop where the diamonds stop on the cad?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the infinity design, she has that posted numerous times. i do wonder though if the very bottom of the ring though should be without the infinity in case it ever needs to be resized. Fingers can get bigger with pregnancy, weight gain and just plain ol aging. maybe the infinity design can stop where the diamonds stop on the cad?

I agree... to have it eternity style would be a nightmare for sizing. Well, it would be impossible to size.

JordanM

Rough_Rock
Premium

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your opinions. What do you mean by "The only things I would have DK tweek is to tilt the halo at the same angle as the crown of the center stone."? I also think the posted gallery is to busy. I know she likes the neil lane ones so maybe something along these lines for the gallery:
http://www.kay.com/en/kaystore/r6-r...-diamonds-14k-white-gold/101488/101488.101495
http://www.kay.com/en/kaystore/r6-r...g-2-ct-tw-14k-white-gold/101488/101488.101495

Unless I'm missing something, those links only show the ring face up -- no gallery/basket view. I think you may be confusing the terminology... this photo shows an example of the gallery view. The gallery (or basket) is the part that is underneath the diamond...
Gallery View.jpg

What I mean by tilting the angle of the halo is this... notice how the crown angle and the halo are the same in this? It's one straight continuous line (instead of a flat halo). This photo also shows gallery view.
DK Halo 8.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the gallery the DK has done in these CADs... very clean lines. Since there is a lot going on with the double halo and twisted shank, I don't think I'd get too intricate/ornate with the gallery. That doesn't mean you can't change it, but I would do something very clean.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This photo shows how the tilt angle should be (left). Notice that it follows the angle of the center stone's crown... the right is flat. Hope that explains it a little better. :)
Halo tilt angle.jpg

JordanM

Rough_Rock
Premium
You can see the gallery if you click the second picture in the link. The first picture is a top view but there are three pictures. I agree it should be kept simpler, the second link I don't like the interlace down the side, just the diamond work under the main diamond.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can see the gallery if you click the second picture in the link. The first picture is a top view but there are three pictures. I agree it should be kept simpler, the second link I don't like the interlace down the side, just the diamond work under the main diamond.

I only see one photo on those links... strange.

With the braided shank, I would go simpler with the gallery. If you go very ornate, you risk having a mish mash of elements that may not be cohesive to the overall design.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing you could do is have DK change the basket from concave to convex... similar to this, but you could do a different design, of course.
images

JordanM

Rough_Rock
Premium
Here are some screen prints of the galleries on those rings. The second one has to much going down the side with the lines, but under the main diamond is not bad
. 2018-02-05_20-10-49.png 2018-02-05_20-11-13.png

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some screen prints of the galleries on those rings. The second one has to much going down the side with the lines, but under the main diamond is not bad
. 2018-02-05_20-10-49.png 2018-02-05_20-11-13.png

Okay, so down the sides isn't the gallery... that's the shank. Yours will be braided pave, so you won't have engraving. I'm not a fan of either one of those. Neither one of those styles goes with the aesthetic of your ring. Hopefully someone else will chime in...

@redwood66
@Niel
@rockysalamander

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so down the sides isn't the gallery... that's the shank. Yours will be braided pave, so you won't have engraving. I'm not a fan of either one of those. Neither one of those styles goes with the aesthetic of your ring. Hopefully someone else will chime in...

@redwood66
@Niel
@rockysalamander
I am not a fan of busy galleries because sometimes there is so much going on that it is hard to focus on elements. That is not to say that I don't love a beautiful gallery. I do, very much. But more openness or scrollwork that allows light to enter beneath the stone while still being beautiful and interesting. I definitely agree with @msop04 about a slightly tilted halo, otherwise the gallery view looks like a flat dinner table and I am not fond of that. Tilted halos are more elegant and finished looking to me.

Here is the thread with David's work. There are some very gorgeous halos and galleries in there.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/

Here is the DKJ pinterest page of halos.
https://www.pinterest.com/DK_Jewelry/halo-rings/

Here is a tilted halo in the profile view. It is lovely.
img_2423-jpg.506139

A lovely and interesting gallery though not for your style ring. Just an idea that things can be interesting.
img_0985-jpg.506306

From DKJ thread
_35855-jpg.453303

_35854-jpg.453302

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second pretty much everything that @msop04 has said thus far regarding the design. The CADs are looking pretty good! I also think that a small halo tilt will be beneficial and I much prefer the clean gallery - it will also be much easier for actual ring cleaning. The Neil Lane rings from Kay are way too busy. It is already a beautiful design with a braided shank which adds intricacy, the design doesn’t need to be overdone in order to be interesting. A bit more of a cushion shape will also be nice as to remove the “square-ness”. Overall, I think that it will look great! Did you decide on a center stone?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to add that David's CAD is done so that the band will sit flush. If that is important then there is little room to have a busy gallery. I like what he has done and it appears there is a little V to add interest. If you ask David to tilt the halo slightly he will know what you mean. I agree about the braiding at the bottom of the shank - make a small section plain so she can resize in the future. Her ring size will change, unfortunately that is almost a certainty. :(2

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went back and looked at all the pics you posted and I noticed that many of the double halos have smaller stones on the inner halo. Your CAD does not. I actually like the smaller stones on the inner and it would make it a tad smaller as well. Because they are the same size, the North and South end halo stones line up but it is not that way on the sides. This bothers my eye and is not symmetrical.

JordanM

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much everyone! I will look through the designs tomorrow. David came back and said he could do a gallery much like you posted:
42730-quad.png
VC is suggesting a braid that separates out into the stems holding up the halo like this ring:
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/braided-shank-halo-solitaire
2018-02-05_22-11-50.png

I have not decided on the center diamond and that brings me to some dumb questions I need you guys to answer:
1. 14k or 18k white gold? Seems the consensus online is 14k because it is harder and resist more wear.
2. What to value higher? VS1 over VS2 or G over H color. It seems I can see a large difference between the plots of the VS1 and VS2. I know this will not be seen by the naked eye. On the other hand is there a large difference in color between G and H?

Thank You all again! I'm sure @rockysalamander will have some input on these questions.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Neither - platinum. Or if you work wih DK, then he has a nice 14 gold/palladium alloy that doesn’t need to be replated
2. You can comfortably drop to an H color which is still very white and VS2 even some SI1 are great value and very eye-clean.

Both designers are great, but they are in a different price range and you need to deside which one will provide the better value to you. I like what DK is doing with the design, I consider that he will be able to execute the concept beautifully once the CADs are finished. He also allows a lot of input, which is great. VC is very talented but he will not allow any input and overall he doesn’t seem to favor double halos, he prefers cleaner lines.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results