shape
carat
color
clarity

Madagascar Sphene arrived from Precision Gem!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
*drool* very pretty & the color looks lovely on your skin. congrats
36.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
That is a gorgeous stone! I think you should go with the pendant idea. That setting doesn''t fit the stone in my opinion. I love all your rings and they are always a perfect match - some of my favorite pieces! I just don''t think this setting is doing it for the stone.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
It''s so glowy!! Beautiful stone, and you take fantastic pictures! What camera are you using?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2010 1:44:06 PM
Author: cellentani
I looked for your second sphene but didn''t find it - I love the sphene in your avi though, and I love your resourcefulness with the rubber band and tweezers. I have locking tweezers, but was a little nervous about using them. I wish I had a pair of insulated tweezers just for soft stones. Have you done anything with your other sphene? Can''t wait to see the finished pendant - what color metal did you use?
The other ring I''ve not had opportunity to take pictures of since work has me too busy to take them, its in white gold. The pendant is in white gold, no diamonds. Its 5cts so....I figured a ring would be out of the question. I tend to buy a greener body sphene because they look good against my skin.

I''m going to have to take a day where there''s some actual sun and get some pictures.

-A

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
FlyGirl - haha, love the traffic light reference! I never thought of that when I was photographing, but you''re totally right!

Largosmom - wow, thank you for the generous compliment on the photos. I have to say though, this stone looks good pretty easily - just get it near any light souce and it goes bonkers with the dispersion. And you''re a girl after my own heart with the halo pendant suggestion. Not only do I love the look of a diamond halo, it would offer better protection - can''t lose with that one!

And thank you brandy, crasru, and blithesome for your very kind comments as well!
35.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hi Charmy! Thanks for your input - I''m kinda liking the pendant idea too, and even if I decide on a ring, you''re right - it needs to be a different setting. Did you get your new rubellite from Bob yet? I''m dying to see photos!

kribbie, thanks for the wonderful compliments! I use a Canon PowerShot SD1000 for all my photos - nothing fancy.

Arcadian, I hope work lets up so you can take some pics - I''m very anxious to see your pieces. 5 carats of sphene? Good lord, that''s going to be stunning!!! And you''re right, green looks fantastic against your skin!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what beautiful pictures! All 3 stones are lovely, but that sphene really is something. I''m jumping on the pendant bandwagon, and think that diamond accents (either as a halo or in some other shimmery formation) would look gorgeous. I''m partial to white gold, but it also looked nice in the yellow. So glad a PSer got this one so I can keep on admiring it!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
i normally am not a yellow gal...but that is AMAZING!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
another round of pics - you''d really have to TRY to get a bad one!

IMG_9718.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
All of these in direct, afternoon sun.

IMG_9716.JPG

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
C, you keep making me drool all over my desk.
30.gif
That is a heckuva stone.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooo love the new pics. such fiery discoball!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto on the drool...can''t wait till my next sphene!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks AustenNut! You''re a girl after my own heart with the diamond halo suggestion, and I''m liking the sphene in white gold too. Now I just have to find it!

vc10um - you crack me up, thanks! And I''m anxiously awaiting your sugarloaf - how much longer? Sorry you have to work today!

thanks for your kind words, MTG!
35.gif

Largosmom - have you already gotten another sphene, or are you looking? I swear, I''d love to try one of the green ones - these are addictive!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I have a little oval one I bought from Dana at Mastercutgems over the holidays. It''s quite flashy and I will set it, but I now want a larger one! I know it isn''t recommended for a ring, but I will probably get it set as one anyway, for occasional wear. I really like this stone..not sure if I prefer the greenies or more yellow stones yet though.

Laura

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I just saw the photo of this spectacular stone in the gallery and had to comment. I think it''s my favorite sphene, Ever. I love the color, the cut, the performance . . .

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday I was reading about sphene and thinking, why haven't I bought one for myself so far? It is very bright, very rich-yellow and very well-cut.
Re. setting - I know LD managed to do it, so you should. A stone of such brilliancy should be seen.
I, unfortunately, am a very bad wearer of rings, i.e. tend to wear them for days on end (the same) and it is not good for the stones. If I had such a stone, I'd opt for a pendant, and look at myself in the mirror as often as I could so the stone could elevate my own mood. I had to set a demantoid in a pendant, and made the right choice.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, thank you sonomacounty - that''s quite a compliment! I know more people have sphenes here, and I wish they''d post them. I have to say though, I''m still wowed by this one!

crasru, you''re so right about sphene being a mood lifter - I get so much enjoyment out of this stone! You should definitely get one (and then post lots of pics)!

And, I did take more pics the other day....
4.gif

IMG_9786.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
sneaking in a few more...

IMG_9792.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I''m handling this stone so much, I bought some insulated tweezers just to use for softer stones.

IMG_9809.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just beautiful!
30.gif
I can't get my camera to capture a single dispersion off anywhere on my sphene.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2010 2:25:02 PM
I''m handling this stone so much, I bought some insulated tweezers just to use for softer stones.
Great photos Cellentani, as usual!! BTW, where did you get those tweezers, do they lock in place?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2010 3:41:24 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Great photos Cellentani, as usual!! BTW, where did you get those tweezers, do they lock in place?
Thanks TL. I got the tweezers from jemco at the last Intergem show, but I noticed that Rio Grande also has them. I think you could also use rubber-coated steam tweezers, but they are generally longer. Mine are 6.5-inches, while the steam tweezers I''ve seen are generally in the 8-12 inch range. And no, mine don''t lock. I''ve never any insulated ones that do.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t like the locking tweezers much; I have better success handling the plain vanilla variety.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2010 4:33:35 PM

Date: 2/27/2010 3:41:24 PM

Thanks TL. I got the tweezers from jemco at the last Intergem show, but I noticed that Rio Grande also has them. I think you could also use rubber-coated steam tweezers, but they are generally longer. Mine are 6.5-inches, while the steam tweezers I''ve seen are generally in the 8-12 inch range. And no, mine don''t lock. I''ve never any insulated ones that do.
How in the world do you hold the stone in the tweezers steady and press the button on the camera.
23.gif
I assume you''re using a tripod.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2010 4:39:47 PM
How in the world do you hold the stone in the tweezers steady and press the button on the camera.
23.gif
Excellent point, TL! Even with a locking tweezer and tripod, I don''t think I can keep my hand steady.
6.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2010 4:39:47 PM

23.gif
Heheh, nope, no tripod. If I were taking studio shots (similar to most vendor photos), I might use a tripod, but I prefer taking more casual shots, since the lighting is more realistic. It has it''s place, but I mean, no one walks around with a full-spectrum bulb above their finger. Also, I''m just not that good with a tripod - it feels very limiting to me.

You could try the rubber bands on the tweezers - I can''t remember who did that trick, but she reported that it worked successfully.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cellantani,
I stand and bow in awe of your photography skills. Wow, no tripod!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2010 5:00:41 PM
Author: Chrono
Cellantani,
I stand and bow in awe of your photography skills. Wow, no tripod!
Well, let me clarify that. I still need to stabalize my camera and the hand holding the tweezers, but I just don''t do it with a tripod. For example, in the photo below (under a halogen bulb), I''m stablizing my camera on an overturned glass tumbler, and my left hand (holding the tweezers) is touching the side of the glass at about wrist level. You can use anything as a stabliizer - I''ve used my knee before when I''m sitting, even.

IMG_9895.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results