shape
carat
color
clarity

Madagascar Sphene arrived from Precision Gem!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a skilled and experienced setter and only wear the ring sparingly and with care, I don’t see any reason why you should not set it in a ring.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I appreciate all the great comments everyone, especially the opinions on having this set.

Okay, don''t laugh, but I remember someone posting about using scotch/cello tape to help visualize a stone as a pendant, so here it is.
41.gif

I''d also be interesting in hearing your YG vs. WG opinion - it seemed to look okay in the WG ring setting, but it looks okay with the YG chain too. I also recall reading that sphene doesn''t look great with diamonds, but I kinda like it.

IMG_9658a.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
A little closer.

IMG_9663a.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
So what do you think - pendant or ring?

Pendant vs Ring.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 9:58:17 AM
Author: vc10um
Oh my goodness, c! That''s stunning!!! And your photography is AMAZING!

I''m coming over with my sugarloaf when I get her! (and the other stones I''m throwing in with the package...I''ll share when they arrive...keeping everyone in suspense until then!!!
27.gif
)
vc, I would LOVE to gtg when your amethyst arrives!!! We''ll have to go someplace where there''s fantastic lighting!
31.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it with white gold better. Gorgeous stone!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
sphene is rather soft [moh 5-5.5] for a ring.....i''d opt for the pendant....which looks lovely on you skin.

mz

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
scotch tape! awesome!!!
9.gif

As a wearer of sphene (anyway I can get the stuff on my body I''m happy...lol) you''re fine with setting it with diamonds if thats what you want. Don''t try to have it bezel set whatever you do.

Its fine to wear as a ring as long as you''re careful. I now have 2
3.gif
I''m having the pendant made and should have it end of March.

The thing I found that after its set, the color body color tends to deeping a shade or 2, just an FYI. Gene did a amazing job on that stone.

-A

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Haha I love the Scotch tape trick. Never thought of that, but it''s brilliant.

I would go for the pendant because sphene is so soft, although it does look beautiful in that ring setting and if it were my stone, I''d be tempted to wear it on my finger where I could admire its dispersion all day.

Whatever you choose, it''s a phenomenal stone and beautifully cut. Congratulations.
1.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sphene doesn''t look good with diamonds? OH YES IT DOES!!!! Cellentani, have a search under my name and you''ll see a Sphene that I put in an LOGR ring setting recently.

I absolutely adore Sphene. The different colours of dispersion have to be seen to be believed and it''s one of the worst gems to photograph because you literally can''t capture the gorgeousness! So I can only imagine how your new lovely performs in real life!

It IS a softer stone than many others but if you''re not too hard on your rings then definitely get it set in a ring (but make sure you use an experienced/trusted benchperson). If you can wear your little shared prong diamond eternity rings (which are just as fragile because of the setting) you''ll be able to wear a Sphene ring. Just try to find a setting that protects it as much as possible, especially the pointy bits). Although if you do find the picture of mine, you''ll see that I haven''t followed my own advice and it''s set in a fairly open setting!
9.gif

Anyway, I
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
your new Sphene!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Pandora has a sphene pendant (I think it was a wedding gift from her DH), and I remember a thread in which she said people have actually stopped her in the street to ask her what gemstone her pendant was!

I think a pendant would be a great idea. Its a beautiful size for a pendant, and would I think it would be nice to have it front and center on your neckline and looks great on your skintone as well. Also, you''d be able to wear it more often and with less worry, which is always great.

Crystal keeper

Rough_Rock
Once again another fine stone from Gene..sucker has some life and fire to it right cellentani!!!!..good buy..i prefer the more yellow sphenes like yours...well done

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pendant!!!

GREAT stone. Please protect it and set it in a pendant...you''ll get more wear out of it that way too!

Your photos are great. TFS
36.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 11:42:22 AM
Author: Arcadian
scotch tape! awesome!!!
9.gif

As a wearer of sphene (anyway I can get the stuff on my body I''m happy...lol) you''re fine with setting it with diamonds if thats what you want. Don''t try to have it bezel set whatever you do.

Its fine to wear as a ring as long as you''re careful. I now have 2
3.gif
I''m having the pendant made and should have it end of March.

The thing I found that after its set, the color body color tends to deeping a shade or 2, just an FYI. Gene did a amazing job on that stone.

-A
I looked for your second sphene but didn''t find it - I love the sphene in your avi though, and I love your resourcefulness with the rubber band and tweezers. I have locking tweezers, but was a little nervous about using them. I wish I had a pair of insulated tweezers just for soft stones. Have you done anything with your other sphene? Can''t wait to see the finished pendant - what color metal did you use?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Liane - I''m so tempted to put this in a ring for the very reason you mentioned. I know it would be better protected in a pendant, but then I''d miss all the show!

LovingDiamonds - Haha, I went trolling through all the sphene threads this morning and found yours - wow, what a gem! I am really loving those green ones! Noticed you set yours in WG (of course!), but I''m not sure my yellow would look as good. How often do you wear yours?

IndyLady, thanks for pointing out Pandora''s pendant! It''s great to know it performs well set that way - one of my concerns was that light wouldn''t hit a pendant the same way as with a ring, and you woudn''t see much dispersion.

Thank you for the lovely comments Crystal keeper and Stone Hunter!
35.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cellentani the one you found is the only one I have in w/gold. The rest are in y/gold! I like Sphene with both colours in all honesty. I wear mine occasionally but when I do it''ll be for at least a long day of 12 hours or more.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
That is one fine stone cell..I do like the scotch tape pendant look..how smart that is...boy that stone will blind someone if worn outside...good choice..
I am back...LOLOLOLO...look out..hope all my lovely lady gem junkies have been doing good...LD, Cell, arcadian, chrono, harriet, TL...I have been watching..seen lots of good stones

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds, do you have pics of your other sphenes? I''d really love to see them!

Hi amguy - nice to see you! I wondered where you''d gone! Glad you liked my fancy scotch tape job, lol!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Very nice!

I''d opt for a pendant as well, but I''m very chicken with stones that are low on the Mohs and have cleavage. I felt slightly ill till I knew my babies were safely set!

It does sparkle like crazy even as a pendant, sadly others get to enjoy it more than you do...
15.gif

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Pandora,

The cleavage on sphene doesn''t seem to present any problems at all. I have cut quite a few and, in fact, was cobbing a piece the other day. No issues with cleavage at all. It turns out that sphene is quite tough so fracturing isn''t a huge problem. Its the whole scratching, facet rounding bit that will break your heart.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
and in all honesty, wouldn''t cleavage be a good thing for a sphene pendent? Not the stone, of course...
2.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Great cut and colour.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 6:24:27 PM
Author: Revolution
and in all honesty, wouldn't cleavage be a good thing for a sphene pendent? Not the stone, of course...
2.gif
Yeah.... no perfect cleavage here - only the sphene can claim that.
14.gif
But good to know you haven't had any issues with that - thanks Revolution!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
just a quick shot with the peridot and zircon.

IMG_9688.JPG

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Cell, the stone are all just beautiful. Keep us posted on what you do with the sphene. I am anxious to see it set.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
and one more.

IMG_9702.JPG

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
*sigh* I love your stones and your pictures.
30.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 7:03:38 PM
Author: cellentani
and one more.
Stunning, cellentani! I love this picture. It kind of reminds me of traffic light colors (you know that I don''t mean this in a bad sense at all), but no amber stop light ever sparkled like that!
28.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2010 7:03:38 PM
Author: cellentani
and one more.

Amazing...

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Some of the best photos of sphene I''ve seen (gee I rhymed!) Love the scotch tape trick.

If it were me, I''d go for a halo''d pendant...this is a stone that reaches out and socks people in the eye if they don''t look at it. I think if you want to look at it all day...go with a ring, if you want people to look at YOU wearing the stone, get a pendant.

Laura

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results