shape
carat
color
clarity

Losing my trail, shut me down or let me keep going:D

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
Ok, while waiting on confirmation on my 2 ct f si1 stone ideal cut I have been watching some YouTube videos with my gf about different diamond quality.
And it seems that she isn't interested in specs like I am.. She likes it white and sparkles and does not want it to loock dirty.
So I tried to search for a lower color score (H) and I found an impressive diamond.
It's ags(0) ideal H si2 (listed eye clean) 2.8 ct, the only angel that falls short is the crown angel and it is 33.6, the rest is in your guys measurement..
And here is my dilemma, my girl list is like this :
1.looks clean(can be inclusions, but not black spots you see with the eye)
2.brilliance/fire
3.white
And of course the size is very important but the largest one she seen is 1 ct so I think 2ct and 2.8 ct will be great.. But biggers better, ain't I right??:D will it be much difference when both of the stones are ideal cut from F to H? I'm thinking I get a lot more for my money.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Eyeclean SI2 in 2ct or above would be pretty rare, I estimate. The size of inclusion(s) a SI stone can have and still be called SI 1 or SI2 increases as the diamond size increases. An inclusion in a SI2 2ct might be very easy to see. I'd ask the vendor just how eyeclean, what distance, at what angle, from the side, etc. Twinning wisp type SI2 inclusions can be "good" ones to have since they sometimes are hard to see. But twinning wisps can also adversely affect brilliance. There are threads on here about that.

Color is a personal preference thing. I think the recipient would have to evaluate that. H would be white enough for many people.

Crown & pavilion angles have to work together. Change one, and the other must also change to make ideal light return. Did you run the HCA on it to see if it scores 2 or less?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not consider SI2 for an engagement ring. And no, bigger is not always better. I would much rather have a 2 ct H VS1-2 than a 2.8 H SI2. I want great cut, color, and clarity..balance! We can help you find a stone. I think H color is great, but focus on VS2-SI1. And please, stick to the measurements we recommend.

table: 54-58
depth: 60-62.3
crown angle: 34-35.0 (maybe up to 35.5 if pav angle is 40.6)
pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9

What size diamonds do her friends or sisters have? Because there is usually a comfort level of size and knowing what her social circle wears might give us a clue, even if she is going to have a larger stone.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes - along the lines of DS2006's questions - what size is your girlfriend's finger?
Since most of what she has seen has been in the 1 carat range, has she had an opportunity to try bigger on to confirm that she is comfortable with bigger?

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
It scores under 2.0 on hca all exelent, the main inclusion is twinning wisp, so im hoping its eyeclean, but that will be checked of course!:)
Crown 33.6
Pawl 40.9
Here finger it's 5 1/4, in my country diamond isn't the same industry, friends and family is 0.5 ct at most.
And also it's only one grading in my country, H si2 exelent cut (regular Gia exelent)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I believe someone else said, SI2 twining wisps can affect light return. Does she have any idea you are looking at diamonds this big? If her family and friends wear a half carat diamond, I think I'd be very unhappy with a 2.8 ct diamond. Go smaller and better quality. I wear a 2.3 ct and most of my friends and family wear about 1 ct., but this is an upgrade diamond for me, not my original 1 ct that I wore for many years. It is absolutely as large as I am comfortable wearing. My ring size is 5.5.

I would not even look at larger than 2 cts, and 1.5 cts is going to look large compared to everyone else's around her. I'd honestly be looking for something like these:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3642139.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3646318.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3644861.htm

q2_2013-06-20_4.jpg

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the link, and your ring is beautiful! We have seen a lot on diamonds on YouTube.. So she know something is up, but I'm a student so she doesn't know I have saved up 25k$ she thinks it's going down next year.
I don't going to say against you professionals, but all the rings she have seen and screamed wow to is 2 -3 ct, and the size would not be a problem.. But the problem would be if it's not looking clean (ocd) but the clearety only affects the inclusions? This is maybe a stupid question but it's the cut who makes the diamond look bright and beautiful even tho with not so much light? Because the diamond needs to be amazing, but I tought as long as you have the cut perfect it would be.
And I completely understand what you are saying about the si2, if it's not eyeclean or the twinningwisp affect to much it's a no go!:)
My other option is a 2 ct f si 1 also ideal cut, with twinning wisp, eye clean.. But if you don't see much as a different in color I think this other one 2.8 is better..
I'm going to get it from idj so the diamond need to be on there inventory

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK - lolol ... good! She likes big rocks! :dance: That's awesome that you've been looking at videos together :appl: You're in good hands with IDJ - they have found me lots of big beauties :love:

We were just being the over protective big sisters :loopy:

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
PintoBean|1472236088|4070296 said:
OK - lolol ... good! She likes big rocks! :dance: That's awesome that you've been looking at videos together :appl: You're in good hands with IDJ - they have found me lots of big beauties :love:

We were just being the over protective big sisters :loopy:
I'm really glad you guys are over protective big sisters :D when I started this journey I was going to buy an radiant cut, I was ordering the diamond the day after I started a tread here, thank god gypsy told me straight and told me to ask my girl at once before I was ordering it, lol.. She didn't like radiant at all, always dreamed of a big round brilliant :shifty: you guys are so helpful at this forum, it's really great!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were extremely happy you found out she wanted a round! Believe me! I feel a little better knowing you are dealing with IDJ. They have access to hundreds of diamonds in the 2 ct range. I am going to stick to advising you to go with VS2 or SI1. There are many more choices than these two. You are right about cut being number one, but low clarity can have a negative effect on light return like when there are a lot of clouds or twining wisps, for example. I'd be asking Yekutiel for some more options.

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1472239559|4070319 said:
We were extremely happy you found out she wanted a round! Believe me! I feel a little better knowing you are dealing with IDJ. They have access to hundreds of diamonds in the 2 ct range. I am going to stick to advising you to go with VS2 or SI1. There are many more choices than these two. You are right about cut being number one, but low clarity can have a negative effect on light return like when there are a lot of clouds or twining wisps, for example. I'd be asking Yekutiel for some more options.
Ok, going too see those two diamonds on pictures and then look some more after that, maybe G vs1/2 is best. I have orderd plain tickets in start of october so im a little stressed! Lol but I really like twinning wisp as an inclusion because it just look like scratches and it dosnt look like its has to be cleaned, black spots.. But I understand what you are telling me about the effect on the light return, but will it show in an Aset/ideal pic if its affected?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No it wouldn't. That is why I have you working woth IDJ they would examine the stone and tell you what they see.

I know you want to hit 2 carats. But the 1.8 F VS1 was a great stone too.

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1472251766|4070375 said:
No it wouldn't. That is why I have you working woth IDJ they would examine the stone and tell you what they see.

I know you want to hit 2 carats. But the 1.8 F VS1 was a great stone too.
Yes, Denise from idj are going to check it if it's eye clean :) I liked the 1.8 but I was scared when I heard it had a little light leakage..

But can I trace off and ask a question, just saw a YouTube clip comparing E to an H I think, and I almost/or didn't see any difference..
Is it really worth it to go higher than g/h? My girl are never going to think about having an "D-IF stone" to brag about, the only She truly wants is to have a nice ring with an brilliance sparkling and some size on the stone.. The more and more I'm learning about this the less important is color/clarity compared too cut.. Does actually my girl going to se a difference between an F and H ?? I'm starting to think no, but please correct me if I'm wronge.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tell me about your girl.

Where does she live?

Where will the two of you live when you get married?

And what is her cultural background and nationality.

If you tell me these things then we can answer your questions.

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1472271027|4070458 said:
Tell me about your girl.

Where does she live?

Where will the two of you live when you get married?

And what is her cultural background and nationality.

If you tell me these things then we can answer your questions.
We are living in Oslo, the capital of Norway. Before we moved here for a couple of years ago she lived outside the capital in a small town..
Here friends and family does not care so much about having nice things/brands. But my girl does, not because she likes to show off but because she likes to get confirmation that we are doing good I guess.. She works in real estate company, where here associates are together with rich guys, so they're getting a lot of brand gifts, purses, clouts, jewelry (look at what my boyfriend bought me), my girl haven't gotten anything "wow" from me, I have saved for a long time now so I can afford something special so she could finally say "look what my man gave me" lol.. She is really in to the whole wedding thing, I haven't seen anyone like here, TiVo every episode of say yes to the dress, have talked about our wedding for many years already how she likes everything to be perfect.
I let here watch a couple of color comparisons videos on YouTube and she didn't understand why an D is much more expensive than an H or an J. Because they're look all the same..
When I started this I was really in to having the best color, but now I can't really see the point, if you have ideal cut its gonna be spectacular anyways.. The only thing I'm afraid of is I haven't seen it in real life, only in YouTube videos with loose stones compared in different spotlight.

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
Here is a picture of the ags to the stone Denise from IDJ are checking for if its eyeclean now.

_5484.jpeg

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
Hca

_5485.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. I think you can drop to H safely.

:wavey:

I don't think you should go up TOO much in size. Big rings aren't the norm in your neck of the woods. 2 carats is big enough.

Nothing over 2.2 and sticking to just 2-2.1 is a better bet. But if you want to go for that honker... well, it's definitely HUGE.

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1472284459|4070499 said:
Okay. I think you can drop to H safely.

:wavey:

I don't think you should go up TOO much in size. Big rings aren't the norm in your neck of the woods. 2 carats is big enough.

Nothing over 2.2 and sticking to just 2-2.1 is a better bet. But if you want to go for that honker... well, it's definitely HUGE.
Ok, going to hear what idj are saying about this diamond because I've think it had be great giving this size, but if it's not eyeclean or transparency from the twinning wisp I go down to an 2+ carat g/h with vs clarity :)

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
If this diamond is not eyeclean, I would appreciate it a lot of you guys with knowledge would link some hearts&arrows diamonds to me so I can send a mail to idj with alternatives if the other one don't work out.
2+ct
F-H
I'm thinking vs1-vs2??
Hearts and arrows perfect cut!
Budget is 25k$ for diamond and ring, I think the setting is going to cost 2000-2500.

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
I did find this post on Ps, dated one year ago, it's the same stone, do you guys think it's any reason why this one have not been sold?

_5492.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, because SI2's in stones above 2 cts are often not eyeclean or have brilliance problems. That's probably why it hasn't sold.

Stick with 2-2.25 cts, as Gypsy and I have said, go to G-H VS2 or SI1. You seem to want to show off with a huge diamond, but 2 cts IS huge where you live! It is huge in the US, for that matter! Get a well cut one with good color and clarity. All you need to do is tell IDJ that this is what you want and let THEM find you some!

2.0-2.25 cts, G-H color, VS2-SI1 clarity

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35 (maybe up to 35.5 with a 40.6 pav angle)

Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results