shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for vendor recommendations - custom setting design

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
The next phase of the project, now that the stone is in hand, is to find a vendor that will work with me on designing and constructing the pendant! So, though I'll be researching myself, I'm open to any suggestions people might have based on their own experiences. I'm looking for a craftsperson with extreme attention to detail, but aren't we all.

For those interested, as far as my design thoughts go at the moment, I know that I'd like to mount the stone like a kite (on an end), rather than as a box might sit, so that the X of the asscher presents more as a compass rose or a +. I know that I don't want the pendant/prong design to mask the octagonal nature of the stone. Looking around at setting ideas, I see a lot of designs that visually turn the asscher cut into a square, and I'm wanting to avoid that. My wife is a fan of jewelry styles from the 20s and 30s and appreciates uniqueness. That said, I know she also appreciates simplicity; I personally don't want a setting that will compete with or distract from the stone, but compliment or disappear. Ultimately, I'd like the end result to be something she can feel comfortable wearing in the widest number of possible dress situations. And, if anyone has any design suggestions, I'd like to read them or see them!

@LLJsmom asked me in another post about my setting budget, and though I haven't given that much thought, I think so long as the value of the craftsmanship/materials match the final bill, I can be fine with it. I've never sought to have anything like this done before, but I'm assuming the setting will be significantly less than the stone? I trust I can make that be the case while not limiting the designer/creator too much.

I'm looking forward to following up on any recommendations and getting this thing complete!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your wife likes 20s and 30s, that would be Art Deco styles which can be perfect for an asscher. And you want a high quality setting. I think you’re in New York right? I would suggest meeting with Steven Kirsch as his workmanship is wonderful but I’ve never seen his Art Deco designs. He works primarily with platinum which is think is what you should use. And he does hand forged work with platinum which means he does not cast or use molds. They are completely hand made.
Victor Canera in LA does wonderful work as well, does only hand forged work and works primarily in platinum. He also loves the Art Deco period and has done many pieces in that spirit.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-victor-canera-beauties-here.175281/
https://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/necklace/octagonal-halo-pendant
Caysie van Beber also does beautiful work, and has many fans. @diamondseeker2006 can you post a link to your pendant setting from Caysie?
Erika Winter also does very fine work and her designs are stunning.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are examples of Victor’s rigs which all can be done as pendants, at least I think they can. These are all custom designs where customer collaborated with Victor to come up with the end product. I will admit to being biased because I love his work so much. You can find videos and more details on Victor’s website. I can see all the pieces below being turned to be NSEW.
085F5AF4-DBC1-4A47-AB39-8C6665D5102C.png 6278F613-872F-4F6A-98FD-1DAED5D19784.png
1985C143-DC97-475C-960F-C714E88E11AC.png F038B141-44D3-4CA7-A2F8-C8A85B1214B2.png

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Venzen007 I would second reaching out to Caysie (CvB Inspired Design). She is a fabulous artist with a great eye, and as noted has churned out some stunning pendants and other pieces. Where I think she would be ideal here is if you have some sort of personal detail or motif you want in the design that is meaningful to you/your wife, she is awesome about creatively incorporating such elements.

Please do keep us posted with LOTS of pics! :wavey:

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I would search Pricescope for some reviews on Caysie. Just last week I read a few where people were very frustrated how long it took and her lack of communication on the the delays. If your wife is waiting for her present I would definitley ask the vendors beforehand how long it will take them.

If I could pick a place for my husband to buy jewellery for me it would be Victor Canera. But I also really like Poshmommy (s) AVC Pendant from Steven Kirsch.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your wife is waiting for her present I would definitley ask the vendors beforehand how long it will take them.

I think that is a good & fair question to ask any/every designer/bench OP contacts. Some shut down entirely for a couple weeks in July, IIRC.

Re: CvB, yes, some folks have shared their complaints on here about her communication and/or timeframes, as has happened/does happen with other designers/benches as well.

OP needs to consider, decide, prioritize & communicate clearly - with whomever he contacts - what his budget is, when he needs the pendant by, custom or stock, etc. as well as understand the overall process to include what is involved with custom design, what happens if he makes design changes after a certain point, how that impacts his timeline, etc.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
I've contacted VC, Erika Winters, Steven Kirsch, and Caysie. VC and Erika were quick to get back and informative. I haven't heard anything from either Steven or Caysie.

VC requires a $500 deposit to start the design phase. They, of course, take design suggestions, but I was specifically told that those who like to micromanage the design are not a good fit for them.

Erika said they will custom, but that they only work in their aesthetic style, so I'd need to check out there products and choose a style from there.

Maybe I'll hear back from the other two next week. If not, I'll probably go with VC so I can have more design control (just not too much, which worries me a little).

From what I've seen online, Caysie's designs seem to match my wife most, and matches my own design ideas.

Maybe, like what has been mentioned here, they are off this month or something.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...al-solitaire-with-french-cut-diamonds.232489/

I’m a control freak so you should read about my process with Victor in the thread above. ANd this was my second ring with him. Bottom line, you’ll see I didn’t need to worry at all but I did talk to him about a lot of things I wanted and that I was concerned about. He’s definitely opening to designing with you and the good thing is he’ll tell you if he doesn’t think something will work. Just don’t email him every 2 hours and ask him how it’s going. :lol-2:

Last edited:

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Looking through more custom-maker threads on PS, I saw quite a few mention and praise David Klass. I gave him an email late last night and he replied to me today, asking what I had in mind. I'm on page 13 of the 32 pages post about David Klass "bling", and I'm liking what I see so far.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Looking through more custom-maker threads on PS, I saw quite a few mention and praise David Klass. I gave him an email late last night and he replied to me today, asking what I had in mind. I'm on page 13 of the 32 pages post about David Klass "bling", and I'm liking what I see so far.

I just had a pendant made by David Klass. It turned out amazing. It isn’t with an Asscher but DK can design whatever you like.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Huge DK fan, I think they're great. Yes cad and cast, not hand forged. But the customer service is great, they will do whatever you want, don't mind changes and even totally remade a ring for me once (without my asking!) because I didn't like one element. And the jewelry I've had made by them is beautiful, well made and just what I wanted.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great advice given above.
If you head towards consumer driven custom CAD land in the direction of DK (that I love and enjoy working with), instead of an established designer (VC/EW/SK) with their own strong tried and true style sense that they usually stick to and excel at -
Pour yourself a tasty beverage and set aside some time.
Wonderful knowledge and eye candy in these threads, and the threads within themselves they link to.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-cads-and-finished-product.201126/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-cads-vs-the-finished-ring.231560/

ksage92

Rough_Rock
I've just finished my 2nd project with David Klass (ring will arrive Monday) and I wouldn't hesitate to work with him and his team again. Good luck with your decision!

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Caysie Van Bebber called me back first of the week, and we spoke for quite awhile. I liked what I heard from her, so I gave her the job. I'll create a separate post for the project soon, for those interested!

(I never got a response from Steve Kirsch)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome.
Can’t wait to see what you come up with!
I’ve got one in process with her as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results