shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for some opinions...

HopefortheBest

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I am currently in a search for a special engagement ring for my girlfriend. I like to think I have some kind of knowledge with diamonds just from readings this site, however I really don't. I was hoping to get some kind of opinions on a certain diamond here. The picture that I see is obviously magnified 20x and it's an SI1 stone...however typically what I've been reading and what I've been told is an SI1 is eye clean. I spoke with the representative and they also stated that this was an eye clean stone.

I put the figures into the HCA and it scored a 1.4...i know that this tool is just used as a rejection tool though. It is a triple Ex diamond - however these marks are tossing me for a loop. I have included the Ideal Scope, ASET, and magnified Diamond.

Please let me know your thoughts...

Specs:
Color: G
Carat: 2.5
Clarity: SI1
Triple Excellent
Depth: 62
Table: 57
Crown: 34.50
Pavilion: 40.80

is_6.jpg
aset_83.jpg
diamond_77.jpg

Thanks everyone!!

HopefortheBest

Rough_Rock
I haven't yet seen the diamond, I am setting a time to go and look at it. As you said about the pepper like inclusions ... That's what freaks me out a little bit. It's a fairly sizable diamond so not sure. I want to make sure it's eye clean. I feel like the IS and ASET look pretty good and it should have some good performance. You think if this is eye clean at a price tag of around 23k it's worth it?

Thanks for the reply!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great on paper, and HCA <2 means keep it in the running! If you are not sure, ask them to send you the diamond to look at. Then you can send it back for them to set if you like it, or ask them to look for something else. Your eyes and my eyes are not the same, so what you consider eye clean I may or may not.

fair75

Rough_Rock
HCA score is not needed when you have ideal scope/ASET scope images. The numbers you provided are good although the depth of the diamond is 62%, which may not be a problem if the ideal scope/ASET scope images are great. The scope images for the most part are fine. There are some leakage under the table, but human eyes will have a hard time discerning that. I do have some concerns about the eye cleanliness of the diamond. Did you ask the vendor about their definitions of eye clean? Based on the types, locations and numbers of inclusions in the pictures, you need to really make sure the diamond is eye clean. Is this GIA certified? What other kinds of inclusions are there? Cloud? Twinning Wisp? I have seen quite a few GIA diamonds in the SI1-SI2 ranges, both in stores and online, and this diamond looks to in the lower end of SI1 in my opinion(if it is graded by GIA or AGS). I have an SI2 diamond that is much cleaner than this SI1 you showed. Diamonds in the SI1-SI2 ranges need to be looked at individually to determine if they are eye clean. In the case of a diamond that is 2.5 ct +, I would be very careful about the kind of SI1 you choose. What is your budget? What are your requirements for the color, clarity, carat weight? And what kind of setting would you set the diamond in? People on the forum will need more information to help you select diamonds that are good for your budget and requirements.

HopefortheBest

Rough_Rock
The eye clean part is my biggest concern - I'm going to the store to see it. I figured this was on the lower end on the SI1 scale due to the price and how many inclusions there are. For what it's worth when I talked to the jeweler he stated that it was eye clean - but obviously everyone's eyes are different.

The setting will be a 4 pronged pave setting.

As for the other items... It is a GIA rated stone which made me think that maybe it could be eye clean, then again I'm not extremely knowledgeable with the ratings and things...

the Link to the stone is below:
http://www.gia.edu//report-check?reportno=6225737147

It does have a medium blue fluorescence - however the jeweler addressed that on the phone and said that it doesn't add any kind of cloudy or milky look.

after researching and things ... I think my biggest concern is cut of course but I feel she may be a little specific when it comes to color so the worst color I wanted to go was H...After all my reading and reviews from people I feel the clarity is the thing I could downgrade the most - however, obviously want it to be eye clean. Budget is right around the cost of this diamond which was listed at 23k. I get nervous with online jewelers as I want to be able to see the diamond and don't know how I feel with ordering and then dealing with the returning and things if it's not what I expected.

I understand I won't be able to get a perfect diamond - but trying to get the best I can.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, this is great news that you will get to see this diamomd in person. If you love it, great, if you don't, nothing wrong with asking the vendor to try again!

When you see the diamond in person, this experience may help you determine what is eye clean enough for you, and then ask the vendor to apply that definition in your search going forward.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results