shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Help Selecting Round Solitaire

snowpow

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone.
I am time pressed to make a quick selection for an engagement ring and wedding bands. It looks like I would need to order it all from one online vendor asap to make it here by 29th of September.
I never bought a Dimond in my life and have no idea what to look for and what is worth paying money for. I have a basic understanding about Dimond specs and what affects the price but have no knowledge about "true" life value of the stones.

As of right now based on my theoretical knowledge I have determined the specs:
-shape: Round
-size 0.75 - she is 4.75 ring finger . I was told to get 1.5mm setting -with 0.75ct sone will look impressive proportionally. Is this correct?
-cut -Excellent
-Color: G,F,E. Maybe H but rather not
-Clarity: VS2,VS1,VVS2,VVS1
-Symmetry: Excellent
-Polish:Excellent
-Fluro: None, Faint

I am trying to stay around or better under 3000.
I am not sure what parameters can be adjusted to get a great stone for the money.

I was looking at these two but used HCA and they both rated poorly:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5519453

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...e-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5546238

I also noticed the same stone available with one of the vendors on pricescope.com for 400 cheaper . How is this possible? I was under impression that JA carry all the diamonds they sell and they are one to beat in pricing. Isn't that the case?

As I mentioned I would love to make just one order from the same company for stone , setting and 2 wedding bands.
Are these vendors reputable? It may worth dropping JA and going with someone like Whiteflash, B2c or USA Certed
If they offer much cheaper price on the same stone so I bet ring prices will be competitive as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eek, you are on a VERY short time frame for a completed ring and wedding band. I'm honestly not sure about the turn-around time for vendors, so you'll have to make sure and ask before ordering anything as I'm not sure how feasible it is.

You are incorrect about JA--they do NOT have all of their diamonds in-house. In fact, many are overseas. And they are not the best for pricing--I'd put them in the middle. Someone like B2C is "cheapest", but don't have any of the stones on their website--they are all from overseas and customer service is slower.

Is 3k for everything (stone, setting, and both wedding bands)? Or just for the engagement ring itself (diamond and setting)?

Definitely don't consider anything that scores over 2 on the HCA--it won't look as nice vs. stones that are under 2.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, you are on a rather tight timeline. In your case, I would definitely recommend one of the vendors that carries in-house stones. I think they're the only ones that would be able to get a ring shipped out in two weeks.

As @lovedogs said, most of James Allen's diamonds are overseas. This applies to the other modified drop-shippers as well. It can often take up to a week for them to procure the diamond and have it shipped to their office, which would leave almost no time for setting the stone and shipping it to you. From my own experience and those of other's, the usual turn-around time for the modified drop-shippers is usually 4-8 weeks depending on how many orders they have to fill at any given time.

I would contact WhiteFlash and see what they can do for you. Their diamonds are in-house so they can start right away, and if you just want a simple stock-type solitaire they can probably have it in your hands in two weeks. There have been other reports from people on this site who have had good experiences working with them on tight deadlines.

Here's a diamond for you to consider. A little more than the JA stones you posted, but looks beautifully cut and is eye-clean (the grade-setting crystal is clear and is difficult to see in the video):
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4027978.htm

For your $3k budget, is that for the diamond only or with a setting? If that is including the setting, then you could drop below .7 carat to reduce the cost.

snowpow

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your replys. $3000 is for the diamond only. I will definitely contact white flash. How do they rate in pricing compared to JA?

Is .75 carats going to look good on 4.75 ring size? Or should I try to get a bigger stone While keeping the price on the 3000 just for the rock? I guess what I’m asking is to help me find the best Value/quality diamond For 3000 .

Of course I can find .75 carat diamond for $10,000 and it will probably be on the top of color clarity cut and other stuff but to me it’s just a waste of money because nobody’s going to know that it is a 10,000 Diamond on her ring unless they start really Investigating it.
So, I am not sure if I’m looking at this the right way but I would love to find a great stone that would definitely speak for itself in terms of the money I spent on it.

As for the rings I’m looking to find something with 1.5 mm as a setting for the rock probably just a plain band in white gold .

For wedding bands for me something simple but something maybe with a groove , I don’t even know.
For her plain or with few small stones .

I like very simple / classy looking stuff but something that is also unique.
Any help and recommendations is highly anticipated appreciated.
I am looking to order no later than tonight.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I believe James Allen has their own house brand in stock for faster shipping, but I couldn't find one under 3k that met your criteria. I'm assuming you don't want to move down to an I on color, right?

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3945626.htm

That one seems to fit your criteria. If you want one of their branded cuts you're going to make some compromises.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3947631.htm

This is an H, eye clean SI1, which is an excellent value point if you're open to it. There's more like this one, I just linked the top off the list. Your best bet is to play around with their site and see your options.

I am, as a fan of delicate and low profile settings, not enthusiastic about most of whiteflash's offerings. However, this one might fit the bill:

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1613.htm

snowpow

Rough_Rock
Thank you for recommendation. I looked over these options and first one rated 0.7 on HCA.

Yes you right it looks like JA is cheaper retailer ....but all the options from my first post rated low on HCA scale .
How important is the HCA rating anyway?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for recommendation. I looked over these options and first one rated 0.7 on HCA.

Yes you right it looks like JA is cheaper retailer ....but all the options from my first post rated low on HCA scale .

JA is cheaper than WF, because they don't have as high quality cut stones. Plus, most JA stones will NOT arrive in time for you. HCA helps tell you about cut quality and perfrormance of the stone. I'd say it's the most important thing (because it's about cut). To me, cut is the most important part of a stone (more important than color or clarity).

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The diamonds you posted were cheaper because they are terribly cut. The HCA is not a selection tool, but a rejection tool. If a diamond has a HCA score greater than 2, discard it from consideration. If it's less than 2, then it's worthy of further consideration.

James Allen is not a cheaper retailer. Actually, when it comes to the modified drop shippers, they are currently one of the most expensive. The diamonds you selected are cheaper because they are crap. For equally well cut diamonds, they are actually on par with WhiteFlash now, without any of the benefits of buying from one of the in-house SuperIdeal vendors. If you wanted to purchase from a modified drop shipper, there are much better options out there (Adiamor, FourMine, B2C, and Yadav being among the best and cheapest right now).

But, as I said earlier, if you really need the completed ring by the 27th (so it can ship on the 28th), forget the drop shippers. Seriously, just drop that idea from your mind. You need to be working with an in-house SuperIdeal vendor who can meet your tight deadline. And you need to order ASAP.

You've had a few good options presented here from WF. Personally, the G/VS1 posted by @vintageloves is not my favorite. It's cut too shallow. I still think the G/SI1 I posted would be the best performer if you could stretch your budget a bit.

I do really love the setting suggested by @vintageloves. That setting at 1.65mm is the thinnest I would recommend. Seriously, 1.5mm is extremely thin, and would not be durable for long-term everyday wear. Even with the 1.65mm setting, I would recommend you go with Platinum for the extra $200. The problem with white gold is that you lose a little bit of metal every time it is nicked or scratched. So over a few years of wear, a thin shank will become even thinner. Dangerously thin. Platinum is not lost from a ring when you scratch it, so it will hold up better over time.

Do you really need to have this all done by the 29th? Could you hold off on the wedding bands until a later date? It just seems like you're rushing this whole process a bit. Maybe it's just me, but I always like to give myself time to really think through and plan out large purchases rather than jumping into them. And trying to do all of this on such a short timeline not only puts stress on you, but also on the vendor you are working with. The people at WhiteFlash certainly seem like superheroes sometimes (;)2), but you must remember that they are human too, and you are not their only customer. Trying to help you select an E-ring and two wedding bands, and then making those rings for you all within a two week timeframe, is no small effort on their part.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I 100% agree with @TreeScientist on all counts. 1.5mm is dangerously thin, and you are on a somewhat unrealistic time frame to get a high quality stone and setting. It's more important to get something that is amazing and lasts a lifetime than something right now, isn't it?

If you give yourself even 5 days to decide on the best stone for your budget (regardless of vendor and timing), and look around for the "right" setting, then you'll have to wait a few extra weeks but it will be worth it and you'll get a better stone/setting because you won't be so rushed.

EDIT. For a sleek setting that is structurally sound and high quality, I would go with this one from WF https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-728.htm

If you search "legato" on this forum, you should be able to see pics of people who have purchased this setting.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock

James Allen is cheaper because they use a virtual inventory. They don't own the stones, so no risk or overhead. And those same stones are available at other sites. I googled a GIA cert # of an emerald cut stone I liked at James Allen and found it at Whiteflash for less (just a coincidence, I'm not pushing Whiteflash and have never purchased from them). If you're going to buy from a virtual inventory, look at other sites like BlueNile as well.

Where James Allen is NOT cheaper is with their premium cut, True Hearts. Like I said, I couldn't find you one under 3K without going down to I in color or going down to .6 in size. For a good cut, Whiteflash was actually cheaper and there was a good selection with your desired criteria. Other retailers have their own branded cuts. You're on a very limited time table, though, so maybe it's best to pick a quality retailer and just be content to chose what they have in house. Too many choices might backfire for you.

HCA is just for elimination. Eliminate stones that score above 2, but don't feel the need to get the lowest number possible beyond that.

I'm different from a lot of people on this site in that I would chose a high performing, non-branded cut (like the first one I posted for you) and go higher on color than go down too much on color and clarity. But what is too much? Totally up to you.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking at these two but used HCA and they both rated poorly:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5519453

This one rated poorly because it's too deep @ 62.9% and a crown angle of 36.5 and pavilion angle of 41 is not complimentary. Ideally, you want to stay within this range:
  • 54-57 table
  • 60-62.4 depth
  • 34-35 crown (maybe 35.5, if paired with 40.6 pavilion)
  • 40.6-40.9 pavilion (maybe 41, if paired with 34 crown)
  • 75-80 lower girdle facets (LGF)
  • HCA score of 1-2 is preferable
Without getting too geeky on you, when a diamond has the correct angle proportions and depth, light will enter bounce around and reflect back out. When this geometry and depth is off, light leaks out improperly and a diamond will have less fire (sparkle).

In short, the HCA is trying to analyze all this for you. The thing to remember is that while HCA helps us eliminate, or short list, certain stones it does not guarantee a solid performer. Additional evaluation and images are needed to confirm it's a good stone.

diamondcutlightrefraction.png

Main problem on this stone is the crown is too high at 36 and not playing nicely with the high pavilion of 40.8. Depth and table is borderline.

I also noticed the same stone available with one of the vendors on pricescope.com for 400 cheaper . How is this possible? I was under impression that JA carry all the diamonds they sell and they are one to beat in pricing. Isn't that the case?

Here's the deal, many vendors like JA, B2C, BlueNile, etc are what we call "drop shippers" meaning they all pool from a virtual online inventory and have access to many of the same stones. Some vendors have better/worse relationships with certain suppliers than others. So many times you will see the SAME IDENTICAL stone listed with two or more retailers. Many times with different prices. This is an opportunity for you as one may have additional images or videos the other doesn't have, etc. Plus it puts considerable leverage in your favor to negotiate a better price.

Also I might add, we've seen JA go up on prices lately. I never assume a particular vendor is always the cheapest and do a search when helping people to find the best prices and performing stone.

Keep in mind the HCA is only for GIA stones. The stones being presented from Whiteflash are known as super ideals and they come with an AGS certification.

I will try to keep this simple, but HCA utilizes the depth, table, crown & pavilion to project the potential light return of a stone and then assign a pass/fail type grade. If it passes (1-2 for an e-ring, where a lower or higher value between 1-2 has no bearing) then you request idealscope or ASET images.

This is done because GIA certificates utilize basic 2D to determine values shown on the certificate. These values are then averaged and rounded in a manner many of us find to be funky and not the most accurate/reliable information.

In comparison, AGS utilizes advanced 3D modeling to scan and determine values shown on the certificate. The values reported are more accurate and because of the advanced technology a true cut grade can be assigned along with a computer generated ASET from the 3D scan. This technology far exceeds the simplistic capabilities of the HCA; therefore, the HCA does not apply to AGS graded stones.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a final thought. You are on a time crunch. Super ideals are gorgeous and like hitting the "easy button" to know you will get an awesome stone. It has the added benefit of being in-stock and not a part of virtual inventory.

Due to your limited time frame, you don't need the headache of sorting through a slew of GIA stones to find one that is acceptable. Then have shipping time from supplier to the retailer, last minute vetting, setting time, shipping to you, inspection/return time allowance, etc.

I would go with WF, BGD or HPD and explain your situation. You may spend a few bucks more but the stone will be of the highest caliber and most importantly you should be able to meet your time deadline.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
James Allen is cheaper because they use a virtual inventory. They don't own the stones, so no risk or overhead. And those same stones are available at other sites. I googled a GIA cert # of an emerald cut stone I liked at James Allen and found it at Whiteflash for less (just a coincidence, I'm not pushing Whiteflash and have never purchased from them). If you're going to buy from a virtual inventory, look at other sites like BlueNile as well.

Where James Allen is NOT cheaper is with their premium cut, True Hearts. Like I said, I couldn't find you one under 3K without going down to I in color or going down to .6 in size. For a good cut, Whiteflash was actually cheaper and there was a good selection with your desired criteria. Other retailers have their own branded cuts. You're on a very limited time table, though, so maybe it's best to pick a quality retailer and just be content to chose what they have in house. Too many choices might backfire for you.

HCA is just for elimination. Eliminate stones that score above 2, but don't feel the need to get the lowest number possible beyond that.

I'm different from a lot of people on this site in that I would chose a high performing, non-branded cut (like the first one I posted for you) and go higher on color than go down too much on color and clarity. But what is too much? Totally up to you.

I'm similar to you, in that I would much rather go with a non-branded stone and save some money or increase one of the other 3 C's. In fact, that's exactly what I did with my fiancé's stone. :) I like the "treasure hunt" aspect of trying to find the perfect stone in the river of crap that is virtual inventory. But this "treasure hunt" definitely takes time. You need to weed through a lot of crap and narrow it down to a few options, then you need to contact vendors and try to get ASET and IS images for said stones, and then wait for them to contact their suppliers to get the images. And often times, you need to wait for a few weeks for the perfect stone to pop up on virtual inventory. Then of course, you need to wait for the vendor to procure the stone.

All of this takes time. Time that the OP doesn't seem to have. So in this case, I think a super ideal really is the best option.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
All of this takes time. Time that the OP doesn't seem to have. So in this case, I think a super ideal really is the best option.

Oh, absolutely. I do not envy to OP trying to do this in a matter of hours!

So you would recommend sticking specifically with A CUT ABOVE stones, and not trusting Whiteflash's Premium or Expert Selection to be good enough? I feel bad if I linked to a bad diamond, but I wanted to give options within budget if he doesn't want to move on color or clarity.

OP, maybe it's better to listen to these people instead of me. Best of luck!!!

snowpow

Rough_Rock
The diamonds you posted were cheaper because they are terribly cut. The HCA is not a selection tool, but a rejection tool. If a diamond has a HCA score greater than 2, discard it from consideration. If it's less than 2, then it's worthy of further consideration.

James Allen is not a cheaper retailer. Actually, when it comes to the modified drop shippers, they are currently one of the most expensive. The diamonds you selected are cheaper because they are crap. For equally well cut diamonds, they are actually on par with WhiteFlash now, without any of the benefits of buying from one of the in-house SuperIdeal vendors. If you wanted to purchase from a modified drop shipper, there are much better options out there (Adiamor, FourMine, B2C, and Yadav being among the best and cheapest right now).

But, as I said earlier, if you really need the completed ring by the 27th (so it can ship on the 28th), forget the drop shippers. Seriously, just drop that idea from your mind. You need to be working with an in-house SuperIdeal vendor who can meet your tight deadline. And you need to order ASAP.

You've had a few good options presented here from WF. Personally, the G/VS1 posted by @vintageloves is not my favorite. It's cut too shallow. I still think the G/SI1 I posted would be the best performer if you could stretch your budget a bit.

I do really love the setting suggested by @vintageloves. That setting at 1.65mm is the thinnest I would recommend. Seriously, 1.5mm is extremely thin, and would not be durable for long-term everyday wear. Even with the 1.65mm setting, I would recommend you go with Platinum for the extra $200. The problem with white gold is that you lose a little bit of metal every time it is nicked or scratched. So over a few years of wear, a thin shank will become even thinner. Dangerously thin. Platinum is not lost from a ring when you scratch it, so it will hold up better over time.

Do you really need to have this all done by the 29th? Could you hold off on the wedding bands until a later date? It just seems like you're rushing this whole process a bit. Maybe it's just me, but I always like to give myself time to really think through and plan out large purchases rather than jumping into them. And trying to do all of this on such a short timeline not only puts stress on you, but also on the vendor you are working with. The people at WhiteFlash certainly seem like superheroes sometimes (;)2), but you must remember that they are human too, and you are not their only customer. Trying to help you select an E-ring and two wedding bands, and then making those rings for you all within a two week timeframe, is no small effort on their part.
Yes unfortunately 29 is a deadline I have to have all of that in my hands on that day. thank you so much for all the advice and time you spent answering my question I’m going to stick to white flash and their “a cut above” what thickness band I should go with?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, absolutely. I do not envy to OP trying to do this in a matter of hours!

So you would recommend sticking specifically with A CUT ABOVE stones, and not trusting Whiteflash's Premium or Expert Selection to be good enough? I feel bad if I linked to a bad diamond, but I wanted to give options within budget if he doesn't want to move on color or clarity.

OP, maybe it's better to listen to these people instead of me. Best of luck!!!

You didn't list a bad stone, imho!!! But I think if I were in a super tight time crunch I'd want all the leg work removed and to just have the best vendors I could afford put together a ring asap. I think wf ACA is easier for that, bc it takes all the wondering and looking up numbers out of it.

But again that's just me and the OP might feel differently. I would also suggest calling ID Jewelry. They have been known to work miracles with tight timelines and budgets, and do great work. Ask for yeukiteil and tell him you want the biggest "ps cut quality stone" within budget and what kind of setting. I bet he could find you something today and ship within your timeline.

snowpow

Rough_Rock
This one rated poorly because it's too deep @ 62.9% and a crown angle of 36.5 and pavilion angle of 41 is not complimentary. Ideally, you want to stay within this range:
  • 54-57 table
  • 60-62.4 depth
  • 34-35 crown (maybe 35.5, if paired with 40.6 pavilion)
  • 40.6-40.9 pavilion (maybe 41, if paired with 34 crown)
  • 75-80 lower girdle facets (LGF)
  • HCA score of 1-2 is preferable
Without getting too geeky on you, when a diamond has the correct angle proportions and depth, light will enter bounce around and reflect back out. When this geometry and depth is off, light leaks out improperly and a diamond will have less fire (sparkle).

In short, the HCA is trying to analyze all this for you. The thing to remember is that while HCA helps us eliminate, or short list, certain stones it does not guarantee a solid performer. Additional evaluation and images are needed to confirm it's a good stone.

diamondcutlightrefraction.png

Main problem on this stone is the crown is too high at 36 and not playing nicely with the high pavilion of 40.8. Depth and table is borderline.

Here's the deal, many vendors like JA, B2C, BlueNile, etc are what we call "drop shippers" meaning they all pool from a virtual online inventory and have access to many of the same stones. Some vendors have better/worse relationships with certain suppliers than others. So many times you will see the SAME IDENTICAL stone listed with two or more retailers. Many times with different prices. This is an opportunity for you as one may have additional images or videos the other doesn't have, etc. Plus it puts considerable leverage in your favor to negotiate a better price.

Also I might add, we've seen JA go up on prices lately. I never assume a particular vendor is always the cheapest and do a search when helping people to find the best prices and performing stone.

Keep in mind the HCA is only for GIA stones. The stones being presented from Whiteflash are known as super ideals and they come with an AGS certification.

I will try to keep this simple, but HCA utilizes the depth, table, crown & pavilion to project the potential light return of a stone and then assign a pass/fail type grade. If it passes (1-2 for an e-ring, where a lower or higher value between 1-2 has no bearing) then you request idealscope or ASET images.

This is done because GIA certificates utilize basic 2D to determine values shown on the certificate. These values are then averaged and rounded in a manner many of us find to be funky and not the most accurate/reliable information.

In comparison, AGS utilizes advanced 3D modeling to scan and determine values shown on the certificate. The values reported are more accurate and because of the advanced technology a true cut grade can be assigned along with a computer generated ASET from the 3D scan. This technology far exceeds the simplistic capabilities of the HCA; therefore, the HCA does not apply to AGS graded stones.

I am overwhelmed with amount of awesome support and advise . You guys are amazing ! Thank you

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes unfortunately 29 is a deadline I have to have all of that in my hands on that day. thank you so much for all the advice and time you spent answering my question I’m going to stick to white flash and their “a cut above” what thickness band I should go with?

If you need a band anyway and are using WF I would go for this set, since you'll be sure they work together.

https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/wedding-sets/vatche-1513-felicity-wedding-set-3740.htm

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think the 1.65mm posted by @vintageloves would be OK if you went with platinum, but the Legato Sleek Line posted by @lovedogs would also be a great option. That ring is nice because it is thicker at the bottom of the shank to give the ring structural integrity, and then tapers near the stone to make the stone appear larger.

But if you really want the daintiest look while maintaining structure, then the 1513 in platinum is probably the best bet. Go for the wedding set posted by @lovedogs. :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, if the VS clarity is really important to you from a mental perspective, then I would go for the .747 G/VS2 Expert Selection.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3964572.htm

or the .734 G/VS2 ACA
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4019073.htm

But honestly, I would save yourself $400 and go for the .737 G/SI1 I recommended. It looks eye-clean from the video.

Actually, I would ask WF to pull all three diamonds and ask them to give you their opinion on the three stones. Some important things to ask:
1.) Are all eye-clean from 10 inches?
2.) Which is the "highest G?" (meaning the closest to F color).

If all are eye clean and you don't mind the SI1 from a "mind clean" perspective, then I would go with the SI1 and save some money. If you need to choose between the two VS2s, go with whichever is the "highest G". ;)2

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if the VS clarity is really important to you from a mental perspective, then I would go for the .747 G/VS2 Expert Selection.

or the .734 G/VS2 ACA

But honestly, I would save yourself $400 and go for the .737 G/SI1 I recommended. It looks eye-clean from the video.

Actually, I would ask WF to pull all three diamonds and ask them to give you their opinion on the three stones. Some important things to ask:

If all are eye clean and you don't mind and SI1, then I would go with the SI1 and save some money. If you need to choose between the two VS2s, go with whichever is the "highest G". ;)2

Whoops. I only saw 2 stones. A .72 E and a .73 G. My bad!

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
I would also suggest calling ID Jewelry. They have been known to work miracles with tight timelines and budgets, and do great work. Ask for yeukiteil and tell him you want the biggest "ps cut quality stone" within budget and what kind of setting. I bet he could find you something today and ship within your timeline.

I am one of those people on Pricescope that did the above, called up Yeukiteil at ID Jewelry and said here’s my wants, budget, and as close to PS quality as I can get.
They have a ton of stuff listed on their site, but he sent me pictures, information, and prices on items I didn’t see listed. I purchased both engagement ring and wedding band from him. I can’t believe the rings I got for the price! (Sometimes I wonder if he made a mistake in pricing.) I could not be more pleased! Even if you go with a different vendor for the solitaire you might want to give him a call about the wedding bands.

snowpow

Rough_Rock

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm similar to you, in that I would much rather go with a non-branded stone and save some money or increase one of the other 3 C's. In fact, that's exactly what I did with my fiancé's stone. :) I like the "treasure hunt" aspect of trying to find the perfect stone in the river of crap that is virtual inventory. But this "treasure hunt" definitely takes time. You need to weed through a lot of crap and narrow it down to a few options, then you need to contact vendors and try to get ASET and IS images for said stones, and then wait for them to contact their suppliers to get the images. And often times, you need to wait for a few weeks for the perfect stone to pop up on virtual inventory. Then of course, you need to wait for the vendor to procure the stone.

Exactly. The OP doesn't have the luxury of time and wants a kick ass stone. WF for the MFW!

or the .734 G/VS2 ACA

If all are eye clean and you don't mind the SI1 from a "mind clean" perspective, then I would go with the SI1 and save some money. If you need to choose between the two VS2s, go with whichever is the "highest G". ;)2

I don't have an issue buying a WF ES stone. Looking at the stone it's a near miss ACA with slight items on the ASET and hearts image. Great stone, but when picking amongst nothing but great choices I become more nit picky. I don't like the 34.8/40.8 angle combo as much as the 34.5/40.8 combo on the ACA options.

In the big scheme, I think $400 is a drop in the bucket and I'd rather have the ACA VS2 personally. If money is the driver, take the SI1. Only real "issue" I have with the SI1 is the big crystal on the table, but WF says it's eye clean. I also suffer from mind clean issues and that would drive me freakin' bonkers if I'm being honest. Did I mention both these have 56 table, 34.5 crown & 40.8 pavilions. :love: :love: :love:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm similar to you @sledge. If I was paying a premium for a branded stone, I would want perfection. And I would say that 56.0/34.5/40.8 combo is about as close to perfection as you can get. That's why, if the OP wants a VS2, the .734 G/VS2 would be my choice. :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys , I narrowed it down to these 9 options:

First 6 :
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...28105,3954411,4019073,4019088,4027061,4027963

The other 3 :
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=4027968,4027987,4027996

If you had to chose 1 what would you choose?
I only had 3 reports to use in HCA and have no other left.
She is 4.75 ring finger - I don’t know if going for higher ct would make a big difference?
I would personally go with the biggest eye clean stone in budget. One of them I believe is .8, which is bigger (and pricier) than you were originally considering. Remember that .2mm is a size difference that most people notice. Less than that is probably not noticible, especially .1

For that reason I'd choose the .79 or .81 if your budget can accommodate it.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would personally go with the biggest eye clean stone in budget. One of them I believe is .8, which is bigger (and pricier) than you were originally considering. Remember that .2mm is a size difference that most people notice. Less than that is probably not noticible, especially .1

For that reason I'd choose the .79 or .81 if your budget can accommodate it.

I don't like the angles on the .81. Look at the ASET, and you will see there is less light return (not really leakage) as highlighted by those green slivers spanning around the cutlet. Also, while we are probably pushing the budget already, this one is nearly $1k over an initial $3k budget -- nearly a 33% increase.

I would like to see them get the 0.20mm increase, but in the grand scheme, it's only 1/128th of an inch. It's noticeable side by side, but won't be a "oh my god, it's so much bigger" moment. At least IMO.

With the 0.79 H VS2, you get that 34.8/40.8 crown again and begin to see the effects showing through on the ASET in ever so slight fashion. Tons better than most diamonds, but with more perfect options readily available I'd pass.

I personally don't like the black spots on the 0.77 H VS2, although the angles work much better. Also, not a fan of all the scaring on the table on both the 0.77 and 0.79's. Probably just me being picky as most VS2's are eye clean, but it's preferable to have inclusions NOT be on the table.

That 0.734 G VS2 ACA is still my favorite.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results