shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for feedback on OMC GIA Report

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Haha! I had issues with guilt last year, too. I got over that feeling real quick though :lol-2: :lol-2:

Oh trust me, I will be the same... just the initial plunk down of payment gets me :oops2:

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Since trade up program with OWD is being mentioned
Even with verbal or written backup
I wouldn’t, myself, put too many eggs in that basket.
Policies change. Written or not.
Grandfathered (I wish I knew a better term to use) policies are of course always a possibility. But I wouldn’t count on it.

Past history with threads on this same subject, some with this vendor, is where I’m coming from.

Okay, noted! Appreciate the input and historical knowledge!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Completely agree that I'm not looking for above 1.5ct if I go with higher color. I was hoping for 1.4 at best?? Is that even realistic? Still waiting on a reply to my email from Adam. Now that I've seen a 1.71 though and have just come to terms with the dimensions IRL, I know I need to be prepared for a reality check at the size decrease if I go this route (6.25 finger but was considering maybe getting a 6.5 this time around cause I'm only getting older).

One thing I have noticed with your favored OMC cut/faceting is that you definitely prefer deeper cut OMCs (as do I). You and I are just not drawn to the spready OMCs. The OMCs that you have liked so far are almost all over 70% in depth which means it will face up much smaller. So yes, the truth of the matter is that if you go under 1.5, the face up size will suffer for sure.

@Muluver sorry if this is my 10th reiteration of this question. For Gisele, do you see any tint at all? I only have my H for comparison and seeing as as a J is two steps down, I'm curious to know.

Yes, even with a Gisele, a GIA J, there is definitely tint, especially indoors. Gisele has SB fluor so outside, it looks whiter but indoors, it definitely has tint compared to my GIA G vintage asscher.

I’ll attach a couple of pics of Gisele indoors and hopefully you can see.

71951F9C-F632-4825-B283-39F6C43F9B5C.jpeg
Here it is between GIA G vintage asscher and the 3 stone is an antique estimated to be I-J… I would say that’s the correct estimate.
9C7699CD-80AB-41A1-9687-76B6F69E1199.jpeg
6E4A12A1-CC9C-47F0-AEDF-BCD048F79599.jpeg

And here is a pic with Gisele’s pastels by a window so you can see how the SB fluor is making her glow
51CE93E7-EFC3-4D24-87F3-E583F28CE8AD.jpeg

Last edited:

mtriplee

Rough_Rock
Since trade up program with OWD is being mentioned
Even with verbal or written backup
I wouldn’t, myself, put too many eggs in that basket.
Policies change. Written or not.
Grandfathered (I wish I knew a better term to use) policies are of course always a possibility. But I wouldn’t count on it.

So true, @Rfisher! I purchased so carefully a few years ago, thinking I'd likely be trading up a few years down the road. The vendor stopped selling shortly thereafter. :(2

AL12

Shiny_Rock
One thing I have noticed with your favored OMC cut/faceting is that you definitely prefer deeper cut OMCs (as do I). You and I are just not drawn to the spready OMCs. The OMCs that you have liked so far are almost all over 70% in depth which means it will face up much smaller. So yes, the truth of the matter is that if you go under 1.5, the face up size will suffer for sure.

Yes, even with a Gisele, a GIA J, there is definitely tint, especially indoors. Gisele has SB fluor so outside, it looks whiter but indoors, it definitely has tint compared to my GIA G vintage asscher.

I’ll attach a couple of pics of Gisele indoors and hopefully you can see.

71951F9C-F632-4825-B283-39F6C43F9B5C.jpeg
Here it is between GIA G vintage asscher and the 3 stone is an antique estimated to be I-J… I would say that’s the correct estimate.
9C7699CD-80AB-41A1-9687-76B6F69E1199.jpeg
6E4A12A1-CC9C-47F0-AEDF-BCD048F79599.jpeg

And here is a pic with Gisele’s pastels by a window so you can see how the SB fluor is making her glow
51CE93E7-EFC3-4D24-87F3-E583F28CE8AD.jpeg

Thanks for tying in my preferences with technical aspects, this is why I’m far from an expert bc once it gets past the 4cs, any other numbering or grading system is beyond me!

I don’t think i realized Gisele also had a tint…. those photos I think did more to help me than hours of back and forth. I’m definitely starting to swing on keeping this ring if I’m going to see tint in the J/K spectrum anyway!

@lulu_ma did you have a K old cut somewhere in your amazing collection? I’m losing track!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for tying in my preferences with technical aspects, this is why I’m far from an expert bc once it gets past the 4cs, any other numbering or grading system is beyond me!

I don’t think i realized Gisele also had a tint…. those photos I think did more to help me than hours of back and forth. I’m definitely starting to swing on keeping this ring if I’m going to see tint in the J/K spectrum anyway!

@lulu_ma did you have a K old cut somewhere in your amazing collection? I’m losing track!

I’m glad that you find the pics helpful! Gisele is 76% depth and deeper cut stones tend to accentuate body color. This circles back to your preference for deeper stones. Unfortunately for us, shallow, spreadier stones not only look bigger for their weight, they also look whiter. In general, OECs are not as deep as OMCs and I think more OECs than OMCs tend have a whiter “face up” for this reason.

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

I don’t have a certed K. But here’s my M with a J and a K that I tried on. I will try to dig up some other pics :)

The ring on my pinky is a GIA certed K with 60.5% depth.

104B65C7-8D26-41CB-A87B-24C70BD9D60E.jpeg

Last edited:

mtriplee

Rough_Rock
I have a GIA K OEC that I think faces up pretty white (shown here next to a GIA F princess cut). K is the sweet spot, IMO.

ETA: Please excuse my yucky nails!
7EE3AC8C-100D-451D-8A2A-F5E0CC3561EE.jpeg D13B1067-A445-421F-97E0-8154A1F480B9.jpeg

Last edited:

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I don’t have a certed K. But here’s my M with a J and a K that I tried on. I will try to dig up some other pics :)

Thanks for your endless collection of photos! Definitely seeing the tint on the K too in that photo!

I've still been swinging wildly back and forth. Seriously something is wrong with me! I took the diamond for a careful drive when running errands during my lunch break. My entire care interior is beige (sound familiar??? :D) I was really taken aback at how yellow the stone looked surrounded by all the tan/beige and I felt like I was back at square one. I may ask my husband to drive me around tmrw since his interior is gray/black hahah

I'm thinking that I need to embrace that old cuts + warm color pairing should be considered the norm? It is not realistic that I'll be affording an OMC in the colorless or near colorless range, and if I try to find an H at best, I'm going to looking at a tiny center diamond. Based on the the pictures shared by you and @Muluver above that show J/K still can show a noticeable tint, then to me this diamond is probably "the one". I'm not sure I need to see a J/K IRL? Btw, Adam didn't seem to think I needed to look at the K you linked due to it being so different from the M (as in probably wouldn't help my purpose of a comparison). He did offer to show me more similar J OMC but it's in a bezeled pendant and not loose (might be hard for me to asses due to the setting).

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I have a GIA K OEC that I think faces up pretty white (shown here next to a GIA F princess cut). K is the sweet spot, IMO.

ETA: Please excuse my yucky nails!
7EE3AC8C-100D-451D-8A2A-F5E0CC3561EE.jpeg D13B1067-A445-421F-97E0-8154A1F480B9.jpeg

Thanks for your input and the pictures! Pictures always help! Can I ask you to elaborate on why you think K is the sweet spot?

Although looking very white, do you still see quite a bit of tint in your K at times (I think I know the answer now based on the other K's I've seen posted) and have you looked at higher color and lower color old cuts to compare?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I personally think seeing a J or K will help you decide.

I had similar tribulations when I was buying my 4.11 M. Fortunately, I was able to see old cuts in E, G, J and L at a local jeweler before making my decision. Tbh, I knew early on that E and G old cuts were too white for me. The rainbow flashes were/are a priority to me.

AL12

Shiny_Rock

I had similar tribulations when I was buying my 4.11 M. Fortunately, I was able to see old cuts in E, G, J and L at a local jeweler before making my decision. Tbh, I knew early on that E and G old cuts were too white for me. The rainbow flashes were/are a priority to me.

Ok I trust you about seeing the higher colors to help my decision since you were right about me needing to see the omcs irl. However I don’t think I’ll be able to see any before the return window expires and I’m reluctant to see the J pendant owd suggested since it’s in a bezel and I won’t be able to get an accurate assessment.

I do think I shouldn’t rush my decision either since it was only a recent decision for me to turn back to looking at natural/earth mined. I may need to let this one go so I can be 100% confident about my decision even if it ends up being an M or lower color. (Don’t hate me if I change my mind by midday, which is a very likely possibility :D)

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Not an expert, but a crazy fan of these old cuts. First, I think your stone is beautiful. If that video on IG is how your stone generally looks, it seems you have a winner. Years ago, I was able to see a loose M (but in a MRB) in the 3 carat range. It was a very, very light lemony color and stunning. Again, I know that MRB's perform differently, but wanted to share that tidbit.

I might be going a little against the grain here, but I wonder if you should see another M to compare. I am only saying this because the color grades GIA gives represents a range that can encompass a "high M" to a "lower/warmer M." There is an M colored stone on ebay that I feel ok mentioning since a fellow PSer is no longer considering it. I wonder if you might benefit from looking at the video of this stone which is coming in at an 8.83x7.80x5.26. Since there is a fairly significant size/carat difference, you'll remember that the apparent color of this stone will be even more obvious. Maybe you would be able to see if this stone's tint is comparable to what you are seeing in your stone, or if your stone shows whiter by comparison. I would expect it to show whiter due to the size difference, but if it shows about the same to you, maybe you have a deeper/warmer colored M within this GIA color range and maybe that could help inform your decision one way or the other.

Perhaps viewing your stone as a complete outsider/like what someone else would see might help you? Anyway, I may have been bleary eyed from all the bling in the IG video posted and missed whether you have gotten your husband to put the stoneholder on his finger and you viewing it in different lighting from that POV.

Anyway, I am not seeing gobs of tint in your stone from what you have posted, it is very well cut and shows beautifully! But you have to be comfortable! Hope this can help.:)

The ebay stone is found under
eBay item number:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

I agree with @lulu_ma - i think seeing a less tinted stone is going to help, you won't end up with a speck in this color range - it'll just be smaller

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

that omc is YUMMY

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think one of the reasons there aren't many colorless/near colorless old cuts is they were recut into modern round brilliants. And OMCs are less common, making this trickier. As an example, Adam has 64 OMCs and 865 OECs.

I was going to post some stones and prices but you can just check out the OWD website to get a feel for different colors and their prices @AL12. At any rate, no sense in rushing into a decision when you're still so on the fence. Seeing some J -L diamonds will help you feel more sure about what you're comfortable with. Honestly, if you go to H - I, I just don't think you'll be happy with the size. But anyway, sounds like you need more time to think through all of this.

eta, my comments are based on what I think is your budget, in the area of the diamond you're looking at now.

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my own experience, generally speaking, I found J and K old-cuts often have a steely/grey tint ranging from subtle to overt, as compared to Ls and lower which more often have a yellow tint and less often a brown tint.

For myself, I dislike any steeliness so prefer high-color (D/E/F) old-cuts and those L and lower.

Of course, every stone is unique, and old cuts in particular should be examined in person in various lighting conditions to get a true sense of color and performance.

mtriplee

Rough_Rock
@luvmysparklies made a great suggestion a few post up (to see more M-colored stones). The face-up differences within the same color grade make it difficult to buy based on a grading, or based on photos/videos where the stones aren't side by side and in the same lighting situation.

Thanks for your input and the pictures! Pictures always help! Can I ask you to elaborate on why you think K is the sweet spot?

In my search, I was considering J, K, and L colors to get in the right ballpark for size and budget. I ended up feeling like Js were very acceptable to my eyes, Ks sometimes were, and Ls felt more iffy. (Before I bought my K, the lowest color I owned was GIA H stud earrings.) For me, it REALLY helped to view photos and videos of the diamonds side by side.

In the end, I chose a K over a J because I could get more millimeters for the price, and I was happy with how white the stone looked when I saw it in person. Definitely warm, but still not yellow, to my eyes.

My daughter was recently engaged when I bought my OEC, and her oval, K-colored diamond gave me the push to stop fearing colors lower than H-I. That said, her K (GIA) definitely looks more tinted than mine. Also, the seller was enthusiastic about the face-up color of my OEC, and I trusted her on that.

I felt there was a pretty noticeable jump in price to go from K to J, which is why I think of K as the sweet spot for someone nervous about trying out lower colors but still wanting to get a bit more size for the dollar. I'm currently considering a purchase of an L, M, or N old cut, so maybe my eyes are being trained! I can honestly say I'm no longer the biggest fan of the F color of my princess cut (which is the highest color I own).

Although looking very white, do you still see quite a bit of tint in your K at times (I think I know the answer now based on the other K's I've seen posted) and have you looked at higher color and lower color old cuts to compare?

I can honestly say that I see very little tint. I see it the most in photos, and I see a tinge through the side of the stone while driving. My setting does have a hidden halo that covers a band of the side of the stone, but I'm not a fan of enclosed diamonds (gotta be able to get in there to clean!) and will always need to be prepared deal with the side view of anything I buy. =)2

The OMC you're considering is truly BEAUTIFUL (it really caught my eye on IG--what a buy!), but I think you're wise to keep looking until you get more comfortable with lower colors.

Best of luck with your decision and search!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Not an expert, but a crazy fan of these old cuts. First, I think your stone is beautiful. If that video on IG is how your stone generally looks, it seems you have a winner. Years ago, I was able to see a loose M (but in a MRB) in the 3 carat range. It was a very, very light lemony color and stunning. Again, I know that MRB's perform differently, but wanted to share that tidbit.

I might be going a little against the grain here, but I wonder if you should see another M to compare. I am only saying this because the color grades GIA gives represents a range that can encompass a "high M" to a "lower/warmer M." There is an M colored stone on ebay that I feel ok mentioning since a fellow PSer is no longer considering it. I wonder if you might benefit from looking at the video of this stone which is coming in at an 8.83x7.80x5.26. Since there is a fairly significant size/carat difference, you'll remember that the apparent color of this stone will be even more obvious. Maybe you would be able to see if this stone's tint is comparable to what you are seeing in your stone, or if your stone shows whiter by comparison. I would expect it to show whiter due to the size difference, but if it shows about the same to you, maybe you have a deeper/warmer colored M within this GIA color range and maybe that could help inform your decision one way or the other.

Perhaps viewing your stone as a complete outsider/like what someone else would see might help you? Anyway, I may have been bleary eyed from all the bling in the IG video posted and missed whether you have gotten your husband to put the stoneholder on his finger and you viewing it in different lighting from that POV.

Anyway, I am not seeing gobs of tint in your stone from what you have posted, it is very well cut and shows beautifully! But you have to be comfortable! Hope this can help.:)

The ebay stone is found under
eBay item number:

Thank you for your input and suggestion. Hard to tell from that listing on the true color and also they are putting it against that pink/red background which is making me possibly see tints of green? In any case I would agree with you, I don't see gobs of tint in my stone, but at the end of the day an orange is an orange---essentially it's a tinted stone. I would say I see lots of white! But I do see a fair share of yellow. As this is my first time viewing a M colored stone, I'm not really sure where on the spectrum it falls? Maybe right in the middle since I'm seeing a fair share of white and tint? :D

I am so excited to take your advice about having my husband put the diamond on his finger and walk around so I can see it from an outside vantage point. He may not share my enthusiasm but that's not my problem right now. My problem is making this decision haha! I do think I may need to return this diamond so I can be more confident but I definitely want to see the diamond on his finger before I make my final final decision. It really is so pretty right? :confused2:

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I think one of the reasons there aren't many colorless/near colorless old cuts is they were recut into modern round brilliants. And OMCs are less common, making this trickier. As an example, Adam has 64 OMCs and 865 OECs.

I was going to post some stones and prices but you can just check out the OWD website to get a feel for different colors and their prices @AL12. At any rate, no sense in rushing into a decision when you're still so on the fence. Seeing some J -L diamonds will help you feel more sure about what you're comfortable with. Honestly, if you go to H - I, I just don't think you'll be happy with the size. But anyway, sounds like you need more time to think through all of this.

eta, my comments are based on what I think is your budget, in the area of the diamond you're looking at now.

You're right. I do know that the inventory for near colorless is just not there because of what you mentioned above and I don't want to be delusional about it. I think that's why I wondered in my recent post if I need to embrace the warmth and consider OMC+warm color as a complete package versus trying to combine two things I like into one. Perhaps that is what I am doing? Trying to force two of my likes into one diamond. Thats why I do wonder if I will be happy with an option I discussed earlier about keeping this M and then changing out to my H on the days I want more of a white bling. My current stone is still very special and pretty to me aside from the setting which I am itching to change. THESE thoughts are why I am struggling with a definitive decision.

I do think logically I should slow down, take my time and look at some higher colored OMCs so I don't have any regrets or feelings of what if. I just need to get my heart and head into the same place before I finalize what to do.

(Your assessment based on what I'm looking for and budget I would say are accurate :))

AL12

Shiny_Rock
In my own experience, generally speaking, I found J and K old-cuts often have a steely/grey tint ranging from subtle to overt, as compared to Ls and lower which more often have a yellow tint and less often a brown tint.

For myself, I dislike any steeliness so prefer high-color (D/E/F) old-cuts and those L and lower.

Of course, every stone is unique, and old cuts in particular should be examined in person in various lighting conditions to get a true sense of color and performance.

Interesting observation. Perhaps I will like the steely/grey tint over the yellow? I think I need to see them. My wardrobe is 80% black and gray. I own perhaps one yellow shirt and it's a mustard yellow so still leaning towards more of a warm neutral tone.

Thanks for pointing this out.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
The OMC you're considering is truly BEAUTIFUL (it really caught my eye on IG--what a buy!), but I think you're wise to keep looking until you get more comfortable with lower colors.
It really is! I wasn't even thinking I would be considering a 1.71 either. You're not helping my decision here with that statement! Hahah I'm kidding, I am appreciative for everyone who takes the time out of their day and for some multiple times out of their day to hold my hand and walk me through this!

Thanks for your detailed thoughts on why you believe K to be your sweet spot... and it's interesting that now you are progressing into warmer diamonds! I'm seeing tint in the pictures of everyone's K old cuts that are posted on PS, I see but also now that I have this diamond IRL I see that photos more often than not amplify the tint versus what is being seen with the eye.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thought -- if you're going for a Marielle/3-stone setting, what do you think of the M OMC you have as the center stone paired with two higher-color OMCs? Best of both worlds? Not cohesive enough (you prefer all 3 stones to be same color)?

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Another thought -- if you're going for a Marielle/3-stone setting, what do you think of the M OMC you have as the center stone paired with two higher-color OMCs? Best of both worlds? Not cohesive enough (you prefer all 3 stones to be same color)?

I think cohesion is very important to me to a certain degree. I don’t think I’ll be very picky on the side stones as long as it “gets the job done”. I really want the center to be the focal point and where I would like to funnel most of my budget :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think cohesion is very important to me to a certain degree. I don’t think I’ll be very picky on the side stones as long as it “gets the job done”. I really want the center to be the focal point and where I would like to funnel most of my budget :)

I think whiter side stones would exacerbate the sensitivity to color. I think a fancy yellow or much lower color (S-Z) would be another story

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to find you a market comp. I couldn't find an M, but here's an N I found with similar specs. This one is more shallow than the one you have from OWD.

I encourage you to try to see a higher color irl. There is NO rush. But the M you have in hand IS very pretty and good value for the carat weight.

I also want to add that it was easier for me to commit to the 4.11 M because I knew I could always wear my F color ec if I wanted a colorless diamond. Though, after I got the 4.11 I didn't reach for the ec very often (until she got reset). :geek2:

Last edited:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to find you a market comp. I couldn't find an M, but here's an N I found with similar specs. This one is more shallow than the one you have from OWD.

I encourage you to try to see a higher color irl. There is NO rush. But the M you have in hand IS very pretty and good value for the carat weight.

I also want to add that it was easier for me to commit to the 4.11 M because I knew I could always wear my F color ec if I wanted a colorless diamond. Though, after I got the 4.11 I didn't reach for the ec very often (until she got reset). :geek2:

And while you are there, maybe you should also ask to see this J to just check out the color.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to find you a market comp. I couldn't find an M, but here's an N I found with similar specs. This one is more shallow than the one you have from OWD.

Yeah I frequent JbG a lot just for fun. I'll be honest I subtract several hundred in my mind from the list price for what I can attainably get as I consider her to be priced a slightly on the higher end. I don't have a clear calculation to my subtraction, but it's roughly based on what I've seen from comps. Either way what you're saying is also a huge reason I'm having trouble letting go without being sure. I think this M was priced well, fits into my budget (hopefully if OWD can deliver on the side stones and setting within budget) and the cut/faceting resonates with me.

What does everything think about this M from JbW? It's not available but in the event that I release this diamond but end up getting an M color or lower in the end, this post would give me hope that OMCs *are* out there within my budget and at a ct size/dimension that won't be too teeny tiny. It's a smaller face up but chubby and very cute... and looks like it has good potential to be white in various lighting based on the video.

Also what you're saying about keeping your F colored EC to satisfy your colorless itch really has me wondering if I would happy doing the same....best of both worlds if I don't have the budget for all in one?

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results