carat
color
clarity

Lookey what I got...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1339254530|3212500 said:
packrat|1339250924|3212462 said:
I like the middle set best. Starts the questioning in my head again about a smidge bigger center for mine. Bah. I have to wear stuff too to know if it's me or not. You're smart tho and won't be left with two settings you paid retail for when you reset and be out all that money. What kind of setting willyou do?

Packrat I was thinking of you when I was pondering this thread and my recent posts. There are a few of us who are like that -- need t otry things out. But how to do it without it costing us? I suspect you and I are both terminally cheap as well, which might be why we are afraid to "make a mistake" in jewelery.

Setting. No clue. Something simple. Since I enjoy the process I am in the "play with the loose stones and daycread" phase at the moment! :sun: I am pretty smitten with my center stone, so that's good. The sides and setting are just a little in the air :rolleyes:

I think you shold get a bigger center stone before you pony up for a settign, for what that's worth :)) Keep saving and enjoy what you have for now since its lovely, and try to get the bigger center when you can. THEN set it! You seem to enjoy a good project too.

I do really love a good project..I dig following along with mother's projects too-it's just fun for me. Dammit others not mothers. I'm on London's kindle still so just ignore any weirdness.

I think I will try out a bigger center if nothing else at least to satisfy my curiosity about how it would look with my sides. Hard when the sides are set but still-i could probably con someone into drawing up proportionate shapes to see it that way.

I M terminally cheap, you're right-and petrified of making a mistake.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat.... :lol:

and the good thing in your case is the trade-in policy! You can do a little experimenting fairly easily!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I have a lot of friends, and am blessed by them. And I don't think you need to meet someone in person or shake their hand to be friends with them. Although I do love seeing my friends in person, I've had college and law school friends I haven't seen in years. And I have friends I met on the net, that I see once a month. And I have friends I've never met in person at all. I value my friends for the personalities, and that comes through regardless of medium. I trust my friends but I certainly don't expect them to always agree with me, or validate my insecurities instead of challenging them. Because that helps no one. And I appreciate it when they disagree with me and offer me perspective that I may have been lacking. I am secure enough that when people criticize me, instead of getting defensive and instantly attacking and calling them names, like bully, I think about what they said and honestly evaluate whether it has merit or not. And that's why I can tell you that I don't see myself anywhere in your comments. My concern is genuine, and the purpose is to help not hurt. I really am sorry you feel my comments were bullying. They weren't meant as such. But, we can agree to disagree. That works for me.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
stargurl78|1339255371|3212512 said:
Another vote for the middle set! I do like it with the smallest stones as well though.

(And Dreamer, if you think 4.3mm stones would be perfect with your center, I would be open to returning the stone I purchased from you. Just let me know.)

You sweet little thing! I was thinking I might contact you and ask.. BEG... that! :)) I'll get in touch really soon if I take you up on that super kind offer!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1339253413|3212490 said:
I also like the proportions of the middle set, though it would also depend on how you plan to set them. Where are you in terms of type of setting? I am in NYC and went to M. Khourdipor after dropping a couple of things with Yeukitel. They had two 3 stone rings with very similar sized stones, but set very differently and it made such a difference in how the size of the stones looked. Shockingly so to me...

So that would play a part in which proportions I'd go with.

Yenny, you are totally right about the mount mattering. And that is the trouble with being particular, cheap, and a waffler. Makes commitment hard ;))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1339258388|3212543 said:
I think I like the one in the center the best too - but I can't rule out the top one either, especially since you want to highlight your center stone and make it more of the focus of the piece- but I'm thinking you *might* miss the finger coverage the slightly larger stones will give you -even though finger coverage and blinginess isn't your ultimate goal. I'm new to all of this, so hopefully that made a little sense! :cheeky:

And I'm enjoying your journey! My jewelry buying days are over for quite a while and there are no more projects in my future, so it's fun to live vicariously through you! :D And it gives us something fun to talk about!

It makes perfect sense and I was thinking the same thing last night as I was playing with the loose stones again for the hundredth time that day! (Note: Do not play with loose diamonds with a loose robe on, the sleeves can brush the stones onto the floor :o )

Inna You may be right, you are a wise woman I have noticed 8) The thought has crossed my mind, and especially when I was wearing Demelza's 8.8mm stone. I thought "wow, this is a stone for the ages, a stone to cherish and keep and pass down in the future." She did ask me if I would be uncomfortable wearing it and my first thought was "yes". But maybe that is cockamamey.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1339368139|3213348 said:
I think I like the one in the center the best too - but I can't rule out the top one either, especially since you want to highlight your center stone and make it more of the focus of the piece- but I'm thinking you *might* miss the finger coverage the slightly larger stones will give you -even though finger coverage and blinginess isn't your ultimate goal. I'm new to all of this, so hopefully that made a little sense! :cheeky:

And I'm enjoying your journey! My jewelry buying days are over for quite a while and there are no more projects in my future, so it's fun to live vicariously through you! :D And it gives us something fun to talk about!

It makes perfect sense and I was thinking the same thing last night as I was playing with the loose stones again for the hundredth time that day! (Note: Do not play with loose diamonds with a loose robe on, the sleeves can brush the stones onto the floor :o )

Inna You may be right, you are a wise woman I have noticed 8) The thought has crossed my mind, and especially when I was wearing Demelza's 8.8mm stone. I thought "wow, this is a stone for the ages, a stone to cherish and keep and pass down in the future." She did ask me if I would be uncomfortable wearing it and my first thought was "yes". But maybe that is cockamamey.

LOL. I once bought an 8.5mm you know what for a dummy ring, and it was crazy huge to me! I had to return it, I was way too self-conscious.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a long reply to a bunch of people and my toddler banged on the keyboard and erased it. lame. Trying again in brief.

Mara|1339265551|3212633 said:
I think Inna is onto something re: the 2c being what you really want. Fess up...hehe. :naughty:

Though if you really do feel uncomfortable wearing the 3 stone in your area, then can't imagine a 2c would be that much less uncomfy. But I tend to not care what others think re: what I wear and just wear what *I* like and what brings me pleasure. That's the whole point of jewelry IMO. I don't wear or buy it for anyone else.

Yes, for me it is esthetics versus ... social conscience, responsibility, "should" or some combination thereof. I admit that after seeing Demelza's OEC I was like "That's it! Sell the lot and buy one of those!!!"

Shimmer Thanks for thinking outside the box! But no, I don't think that is a good solution for me, as TGal said.

haven Girls is my favourite show right now, after game of thrones! It reminds me of my early 20s... well I was not THAT much of a crazy lunatic, but the characters are so like girls I knew or girls like I was. LOVE it! And yes, many small diamonds are more eye catching than one single bigger one. In my experience my Aurora catches people's eyes and draws comments way more than my 7.6mm solitaire ever did. And yes, I think I need both 8) Doesn't everyone?

packrat You need to buy a whole whack of fakeys, cheap ones, in the shape you need and the sizes you want. There is a place talked about a lot on the DB forum for cheap ones I might have e-mailed you about it once? They cost about $0.10 each. Then you can really see how it will look! A Godsend for people like us!

Laila if it was real I bet you would get used to it :Up_to_something:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, I am not a TV watcher at all, but we did on demand and watched Game of Thrones. Oh my goodness...TGuy and I LOVED it. So Girls is good? It's available OD right now, so I may have to watch it.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
stargurl78|1339255371|3212512 said:
Another vote for the middle set! I do like it with the smallest stones as well though.

(And Dreamer, if you think 4.3mm stones would be perfect with your center, I would be open to returning the stone I purchased from you. Just let me know.)

You sweet little thing! I was thinking I might contact you and ask.. BEG... that! :)) I'll get in touch really soon if I take you up on that super kind offer!

Haha, just let me know. I have another little stone that might work for what I was planning for yours but it doesn't have as nice of a cut and a tall yummy crown like the one I bought from you. However, my original stone is whiter and I'm VERY color sensitive. So really no biggie either way... =)

I really do think the 4.8mms are the best choice though. They don't overpower the center but look like they would still give you great finger coverage.

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
The thought has crossed my mind, and especially when I was wearing Demelza's 8.8mm stone. I thought "wow, this is a stone for the ages, a stone to cherish and keep and pass down in the future." She did ask me if I would be uncomfortable wearing it and my first thought was "yes". But maybe that is cockamamey.

Dreamer,
I have probably biggest diamonds in my my group of friends and at work. But not because I can afford them and they are not. Mostly because theirs were picked by their husbands and have sentimental value. I am in my second marriage and do all jewerly shopping myself. :twirl:
Yes, people pay attention (especially administrative staff at work). So what? I enjoy it and could care less what people think about me or my hobby. The worst they can think is that I have a ridiculously rich husband or parents. :twirl:
I do think that nothing can compare with a big solitaire in a simple setting. One stone that speaks for itself and whose beauty and value doesn't need to be enhanced by a multithousand dollar setting. And if you feel this way - totally go for it. I'm sure if you'll set a goal, you'll find a way to get there. :lickout:
For me, I'm perfectly comfortable with stones from from 1.5 and up. I have few that range from 1.5 to 2.5 - all in minimalistic settings (but i'm size 3.25, so I can see how people with bigger finger sizes feel comfortable with 3 and 4 carats).

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1339368139|3213348 said:

I tried on a 2 carat and thought it looked waaaay to big. Fast forward three years and now the 2 carat seems waaaay too small. Go figure! :???:

And we share the same thoughts--the stone I ended up with will be a cherished family treasure (or at least I hope it will be), passed down from myself to my daughter, to my granddaughter.

As far as the sides: if you want to make your center stone look larger then I like the the middle photo. But if you are going for all out bling then I like the sides larger than that.

Eh, diamond rings are like wedding dresses (or even swimsuits, or men for that matter), sometimes you gotta try on a lot of them to know which one is perfect for you. :)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Think I know which place you're talking about for the cheapies. Will check it out and see what sizes they come in.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just a small update: I'm keeping the threesome together as they are and making a massive ridiculously large OEC three stone. Eventually. One day. When I have funds and can decide on a setting. But those stones should be on my hand. ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALLLLLLLLL!!!!

I have noticed something interesting having the stones loose. The sides are cushiony in outline, but the center stone when oriented in one particular way also looks a little more cushiony to my eye. I wonder if there is a way to communicate to a setter that you want your stones set a certain way, when it is so subtle :read:

Will post my inspiration pics from my pinterest board when I have time.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where there is a will, there is a way, and I'm sure you will find a setter who can do what you want.

Glad to hear it! Personally I think you should keep buying OECs and adding them in the fashion of that horrid setting I posted awhile back. :rodent: :lol:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just make a giant cluster-frick ring? Sounds like a plan man!

As a random comment, I love loose diamonds. Nothing prettier, they change appearance when they are set. Loose, the light just gets all around them and the glisten so much! I am hoping the girdles in these little dudes are thick enough that I can set them in an open airy style mount because I want the look to be diamonds floating on my hand.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1339480332|3214392 said:

As a random comment, I love loose diamonds. Nothing prettier, they change appearance when they are set. Loose, the light just gets all around them and the glisten so much! I am hoping the girdles in these little dudes are thick enough that I can set them in an open airy style mount because I want the look to be diamonds floating on my hand.

Ah ha! We have solved all your scary setting problems! Just GLUE them to your hands!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1339480570|3214393 said:
Dreamer_D|1339480332|3214392 said:

Ah ha! We have solved all your scary setting problems! Just GLUE them to your hands!

:appl: :appl:

GENIUS!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL! I love it!!!!

I've never played with loose diamonds, now I think I need to get some . . . :devil:

O/T, but TGal--I have a love/hate relationship with Girls. I can't stop watching it, but I do a lot of yelling at the main characters. It's great. (Have you read Game of Thrones? The first book is great. I was too lazy to read the second book before the season started, but I really want to get through the second and third before next season.)
Of course, none of these shows matter anymore now that True Blood is back on!!!! My favorite book-turned-TV-series ever.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1339479936|3214388 said:
Just a small update: I'm keeping the threesome together as they are and making a massive ridiculously large OEC three stone. Eventually. One day. When I have funds and can decide on a setting. But those stones should be on my hand. ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALLLLLLLLL!!!!

I have noticed something interesting having the stones loose. The sides are cushiony in outline, but the center stone when oriented in one particular way also looks a little more cushiony to my eye. I wonder if there is a way to communicate to a setter that you want your stones set a certain way, when it is so subtle :read:

Yay! I love the plan for a massive and ridiculously large three stone! :love: :appl:

As far as setting them--can you draw on them (or make dots on them) with a Sharpie or different colored Sharpies? And then make a paper drawing of how the different colored dots correlate to the setting? I've been thinking about this myself with my cushion--there's a certain way I would prefer to have it set.

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D said:

I hear you. They never play the same after you set them. In russian they say that canaries don't sing in the cage, even if the cage is golden. :wink2: So I'm also looking for settings that are not cages, but rather safaries for my stones.

The only time where I was amazed at the diffrerence was when I recently recet the 1.9 N OEC from a temporary four prong into vintage russian setting. It literally set the light and fire free from that stone. Since i'm eternal setting shrude, I don't see myself paying for a custom work, so I keep searching high a low for those old open settings. And trust me, its much easier to find an OEC that a setting :twirl:

1.9%20N%20OEC%2028.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
MyDiamondSparkles|1339502848|3214492 said:
Dreamer_D|1339479936|3214388 said:

Yay! I love the plan for a massive and ridiculously large three stone! :love: :appl:

As far as setting them--can you draw on them (or make dots on them) with a Sharpie or different colored Sharpies? And then make a paper drawing of how the different colored dots correlate to the setting? I've been thinking about this myself with my cushion--there's a certain way I would prefer to have it set.

Interesting. Really it is just a North South orientation, though maybe its not as simple as that. I'll think about that sharpie approach!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1339483376|3214414 said:
ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL! I love it!!!!

I've never played with loose diamonds, now I think I need to get some . . . :devil:

O/T, but TGal--I have a love/hate relationship with Girls. I can't stop watching it, but I do a lot of yelling at the main characters. It's great. (Have you read Game of Thrones? The first book is great. I was too lazy to read the second book before the season started, but I really want to get through the second and third before next season.)
Of course, none of these shows matter anymore now that True Blood is back on!!!! My favorite book-turned-TV-series ever.

Oh yes, get some loose diamonds just to roll them around. You know, its so inexpensive and all, to have loose diamonds :rolleyes: I recommend getting one at least 7mm to play with :lol:

Girls is a show you yell at the people a lot. The main character is such a tool, but so honest. This week she and her roomate had a big fight and I thought the things they said and fought about were really honest of the things young women fight about. Being a bad friend, being egocentric. Hanna said at one point, in response to her roomate's comment that Hanna is judgemental but expects everyone else not to judge her: "That's because no one could ever say anything worse to me than I say to myself every single day." I thought that was insightful of many people's internal life. And the wild child girl's former nanny-boss also had some really insightful comments about how Jessa always ends up in these situations where drama enfolds all around her and she had no idea why and the role she plays in it. I liked that scene a lot. But my SIL and BIL did not connect to it at all.

BTW you are not allowed to watch Game of Thrones unless you have read all the books. PRETENDER!!!! FAKE FAN!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
InnaR|1339508665|3214535 said:
Dreamer_D said:

I hear you. They never play the same after you set them. In russian they say that canaries don't sing in the cage, even if the cage is golden. :wink2: So I'm also looking for settings that are not cages, but rather safaries for my stones.

The only time where I was amazed at the diffrerence was when I recently recet the 1.9 N OEC from a temporary four prong into vintage russian setting. It literally set the light and fire free from that stone. Since i'm eternal setting shrude, I don't see myself paying for a custom work, so I keep searching high a low for those old open settings. And trust me, its much easier to find an OEC that a setting :twirl:

1.9%20N%20OEC%2028.jpg

Inna what is your native tongue? You have a very poetic turn of phrase in english.

I too am setting shrewd ;)) Unfortunately in this case for a three stone it must be custom, or at least semi-custom, since the stones are not typical proportions.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh la la, that is fabulous!!! Congrats!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DD.. .yes you can tell the setter you want a stone oriented a certain way. My 4 stone has one stone that is less cushiony than the others and they set it more at an angle so that it played up the cushion shapve vs a round...interesting because you have to stare to see it.

BTW I noticed your Aurora up on DB! I guess now that you're going to do the 3 blingy 3 stone, that's the one that's moving on?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer,

I'm happy to hear that you'll keep the stones together, because that ring really looked amazing (especially in the "mouse" shot). But I also saw your point that the bigger side stones make the center look smaller. Your pic with proportions made it very clear. How did you come to your final decision, what swayed you towards the bigger stones in the end? Plans for a future jumbo solitaire, perhaps? :rodent: (If it were my decision, I'd probably also go with the original design, but of course I'd have to see it on my hand, first.)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, I am happy to hear this decision! :appl: I think the three stones look great together and it will make a beautiful ring! In fact, I would love, love, love to have a similar one! Yes, it will be blingy, but I still think OEC's are more subtle bling than say a H&A rb. I mean, we have people here with 2 and 3 ct. + center stones! But I do not agree at all that the side stones will make the center look small. I just think the total look will be larger with these side stones.

Who will you get to evaluate the girdles? Are all the facet junctions nice and sharp?

Ah, just saw you are selling the Aurora! Honestly, this is the decision I would have made..sell that and have the fabulous 3 stone!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I should re-phrase that sentence: the smaller stones made the center look bigger ::)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara 3 blingy 3 stone wins. I try and try to be a multi-ring girl, because I like so many different styles, but in the end I like to wear only one ring and I feel guilty about having too much money tied up in bling. The Bling Continuuum is my frrrrrieeeeend!

GemFever|1339515097|3214592 said:
Dreamer,

I'm happy to hear that you'll keep the stones together, because that ring really looked amazing (especially in the "mouse" shot). But I also saw your point that the bigger side stones make the center look smaller. Your pic with proportions made it very clear. How did you come to your final decision, what swayed you towards the bigger stones in the end? Plans for a future jumbo solitaire, perhaps? :rodent: (If it were my decision, I'd probably also go with the original design, but of course I'd have to see it on my hand, first.)

Well, I just sort of thought the stones deserved to stay togeter :)) Silly maybe. But the proportions of the stones are more authentic to the era of the cuts. When I was thinking about the smaller sides the setting styles were all more modern, and that did not suit the era of the cuts and that didn't set well with me for some reaon. And although the sides are more cushiony than the center, one stone in particular, the faceting is very similar and the colors well matched. The crowns on the sides are a little shallower than the center, but they match each other and the tables and proportions all work very well together. Plus I think the three are more valuable all together then separated :halo: And being the silly bing-cycler that I am, that matters to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results