shape
carat
color
clarity

Lookey what I got...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1339193503|3212110 said:
I personally prefer the smaller sidestones. ::)

Cool! Finding a pair of old cuts this size might be too hard, as you know! I might need to try having JBEG help me.

Does anyone know is OWD has small matched pairs on hand?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, I don't mind you sharing your thinking process at all. In fact, I am a lot like you and am learning from you in some ways. I am actually doubting that I could ever match three antique stones that would suit me, so I probably need to work on a solitaire or else AVR's that can really match.

I get what you are saying about the side stones being large. When I look a the 3 stone chart, I would never pick the 2 with the largest side stones. But I might not pick 4mm either to go with a 7+mm center. But you should get exactly what you love...otherwise you'll be dissatisfied and I'm sure you don't want to buy a new setting until you have it as perfect as possible!

(I personally would never put modern pears as sides to an OEC. Antique pears, yes, but you'd likely have to have those custom cut!)

3 stone ring proportions x1b (1).jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TravelingGal|1339193106|3212109 said:
Dreamer_D|1339192718|3212104 said:
I don't find anything hard about what I am doing, TGal. I am having fun. If people are not enjoying the photos and ideas, I don't have to share them of course.

Dreamer, who said anything about people not enjoying it? Everyone wants to see you find the ring you want...I've been along for the ride, so I don't mean offense. But it IS a bummer for you to exclaim, "yes yes, these are it!" and then to find out, "nope, nope, it's not." It's not that people aren't having FUN, but people are excited to see you actually find something that WORKS. When you say the universe aligned (or something like that) for you to get this ring and now want to take it apart, sell stones, find different stones, there's nothing WRONG with that, but it's a let down in the sense that for the "viewer", we thought it was going to work for you.

Make sense?

I think we were all excited to see the dream 3-stone appear. But, for me, as long as I'm not the one impatiently waiting for my dream ring to finally be on my finger, I can appreciate someone else's long journey, with all the twists and turns. Every new stage is a possible learning experience (on which I don't have to spend my own time and money), and all I gotta do is sit back and look at the pretty pictures ::)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
GemFever|1339194900|3212128 said:
TravelingGal|1339193106|3212109 said:
Dreamer_D|1339192718|3212104 said:
I don't find anything hard about what I am doing, TGal. I am having fun. If people are not enjoying the photos and ideas, I don't have to share them of course.

Dreamer, who said anything about people not enjoying it? Everyone wants to see you find the ring you want...I've been along for the ride, so I don't mean offense. But it IS a bummer for you to exclaim, "yes yes, these are it!" and then to find out, "nope, nope, it's not." It's not that people aren't having FUN, but people are excited to see you actually find something that WORKS. When you say the universe aligned (or something like that) for you to get this ring and now want to take it apart, sell stones, find different stones, there's nothing WRONG with that, but it's a let down in the sense that for the "viewer", we thought it was going to work for you.

Make sense?

I think we were all excited to see the dream 3-stone appear. But, for me, as long as I'm not the one impatiently waiting for my dream ring to finally be on my finger, I can appreciate someone else's long journey, with all the twists and turns. Every new stage is a possible learning experience (on which I don't have to spend my own time and money), and all I gotta do is sit back and look at the pretty pictures ::)

I'm OK with a journey. May even be ok with a SAGA, lol.

Dreamer, FWIW, I'm with DS...neither of those proportions to me look *quite* right. But you said you loved the 1.2:1 proportion, so I took your word for it. I still think the ring looked amazing on your finger, so I hope you won't regret going proportionally the other way.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But, but, but, I thought you loved the 2:1 ratio for 3 stones! :cheeky: It's even what Tiffany uses, and they know rings! :naughty:

I don't know, I love the bling of the 2:1 ratio. I think it sometimes looks unbalanced with a huge center and small side stones. Like something is off or they're an afterthought. I get what you mean about wanting the center to appear larger though. What about going down to 5mm sides? That's what mine are, and I think they still look blingy but they aren't overly huge.

Personally, I do not think pears would look as nice. They just don't provide the sparkle and bling that rounds/OECs do. It's a pretty look though, but you might not like it as much.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1339194824|3212126 said:
Dreamer, I don't mind you sharing your thinking process at all. In fact, I am a lot like you and am learning from you in some ways. I am actually doubting that I could ever match three antique stones that would suit me, so I probably need to work on a solitaire or else AVR's that can really match.

I get what you are saying about the side stones being large. When I look a the 3 stone chart, I would never pick the 2 with the largest side stones. But I might not pick 4mm either to go with a 7+mm center. But you should get exactly what you love...otherwise you'll be dissatisfied and I'm sure you don't want to buy a new setting until you have it as perfect as possible!

(I personally would never put modern pears as sides to an OEC. Antique pears, yes, but you'd likely have to have those custom cut!)

Yes, I think AVRs are a good way to go if you really want matched. In this case, set right I actually think the out-of-round is not a big issue for the sides, but for me combined with the proportion thing it might be a deal breaker.

I will take a photo of the 7mm with the 4.8mm stones I have and post it too. I think its too big. I think the largest I want is about 4.3 if I went bigger. Too bad I sold a stone like that right before I found this one! :cheeky:

I am the type of person who likes to wear things and try them out, and I only learn my tastes through use and wear. This is something I have learned about myself over time.

I bought a three stone ring with large side and yes was very excited. It is a phenomenal look, no doubt. But after wearing it I see it might not be the right proportions for me -- it is blingier than I want for daily wear, and the size of the center stone gets lost. Thank goodness I did not buy it retail and lose money on the mount, or the side stones, or I would be very upset.

I just know myself well enough now that I need to take things for a walk for a bit to learn my likes. It took me six months to decide that my Aurora was a long term piece for me! I almost sold it as I am sure those same bummed out people reading remember ;)) But I kept it and I am happy I did and love it very much and wear it daily. I also toy with selling my Dream band often, but in the end, it is too pretty and practical and versatile to ever part with! Learned through wear and ownership. Studs are not really my thing I also know now, as gorgeous and classy as they are. I like small hoops and wear them every day in gold, would love some with diamonds one day. Solitaires are not my thing. Or giant diamonds, as much as I love them! Trying on Demelza's ring made me realisze it would make me self-conscious. I admire each of those jewelery items but they don't work for my life! And so it goes. Buying on the secondary market is perfect for someone like me who likes to testdrive without fear of losing money if my mind changes.

Oh! And buying a whole bunch of inexpensive fakeys was sooo helpful to me! Playing around with sizes and proportions. When I bought Onedrop's mount on DB I was able to use the fakeys and wear it around -- learned I really wanted a larger center for my dream three stone (check) and learned I like side stones more tucked under the center, not set out creating horizonatal coverage. That also was a really good buy/experiment for me because I have loved that setting for years BUT trying it on it was very clear it was not for me. Now someone else loves it and wears it and the experiment only cost me $40, instead of $2000 if I had ordered it for myself retail.

There is method to my madness. Even if it is annoying or nexing to some :halo:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1339196470|3212144 said:
But, but, but, I thought you loved the 2:1 ratio for 3 stones! :cheeky: It's even what Tiffany uses, and they know rings! :naughty:

I don't know, I love the bling of the 2:1 ratio. I think it sometimes looks unbalanced with a huge center and small side stones. Like something is off or they're an afterthought. I get what you mean about wanting the center to appear larger though. What about going down to 5mm sides? That's what mine are, and I think they still look blingy but they aren't overly huge.

Personally, I do not think pears would look as nice. They just don't provide the sparkle and bling that rounds/OECs do. It's a pretty look though, but you might not like it as much.

No pears, everyone's opinions have cemented that for me.

LOL... actually if you look at my three stone journey I never sought a 2 to 1 ratio. I wanted a 7mm stone with 0.30ct sides :halo: You can't order up the ratio you want buying old cuts the way I do, I thought lets take a chance and see!

If I did not own a blingy band I would be all over maximim wattage. But I want something *different*. The first week I have this three stone I was thinking, "When will I wear my Aurora now?" A bunch of you even asked it! While different, the looks are similar. For a few days I was thinking I would sell my Aurora because I do not want or need two similar rings like that -- and yes, some collectors would say keep it and who cares if they are similar but that is not how I work. And as I said, I don't want to sell my Aurora. That is when I thought, "well I can do smaller sides, then it is a three stone look I love and yet totally different from my Aurora!" I am after diversity or variety in my two rings, not similarity.

I think 5mm is too big, I'll post the pics with the 4.8mm pair later.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is brilliant, actually! You have done a lot of experimenting and have wasted very little, if any, money! I can't say the same about myself! (just on solitaire settings, though!)

I wear hoops about 6 days out of 7 but I can't part with my studs! I wear my 5 stone vintage band much like you wear your Aurora band and know I'll always have it or a substitute! I also can't pull off one of those 2-4 caraters in my real world! Sure do like looking at them here, though!

The funny thing is, I have everything I really "need" for daily wear at this point (other than I have sapphire earrings to set), but I still think a lot about what the next project might be! So it is a lot of fun to watch projects like this in the meantime! I can't wait to see how this ring ends up!

(On that chart above, I think you probably like the smallest option or smaller whereas I THINK I like 70%. So 70% of 7mm is 4.9mm, so I am curious to see the 4.8's with it.)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
So what you're saying is, that you're a fickle pickle? :lol:

I think whatever works for you Dreamer, is fine! Especially because not only are you not losing much money in a lot of transactions, but making money. Heck, I say sell those sides because you no longer care for stud earrings for a couple of thousand at least, which makes your center stone a steal. That's what you've always been after anyway...a bigger center stone for a song.

FWIW, it's not annoying to me. It is though a bit perplexing...in the same way someone like you is probably perplexed by someone like me who could have three unmatched stones in a ring. ;))

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's normal, a PS sickness if you will. :bigsmile: A lot of us like the chase more than actually having a finished project. I'm already looking for ways to tweak/upgrade my own 3 stone, lol. :oops:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup some like the chase forever and never end up being satisfied, that is totally a PS sickness!! :naughty:

DD, I also am disappointed this is not 'it' for you as you seemed so excited at the great find that was had in these lovelies (and really you paid a super fantastic price for that ring, I bet the seller wishes she'd done a bit more due diligence lol!!) but hope you figure out what you want! All I know is I like eye-candy. So make SOMETHING with something and post pics hehe.

Methinks I wouldn't be surprised if I see those sides go up on DB sooner rather than later, while you search out the purrrrrfect smaller sides. Mmm earrings.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the 7mm with 4.8mm sides.

004.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1339204795|3212223 said:

Yum! I like it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1339204795|3212223 said:

I love it. But my opinion isn't picky enough, I know. Proportionally though, it works. It's just a titch bigger than what I see in the other photo, which is what I thought I'd like. The question is, do you like it. I do see however, that it isn't the "paying homage" look you are going for, but I think it's very pleasing to the eye. Balanced.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1339204667|3212222 said:
Yup some like the chase forever and never end up being satisfied, that is totally a PS sickness!! :naughty:

DD, I also am disappointed this is not 'it' for you as you seemed so excited at the great find that was had in these lovelies (and really you paid a super fantastic price for that ring, I bet the seller wishes she'd done a bit more due diligence lol!!) but hope you figure out what you want! All I know is I like eye-candy. So make SOMETHING with something and post pics hehe.

Methinks I wouldn't be surprised if I see those sides go up on DB sooner rather than later, while you search out the purrrrrfect smaller sides. Mmm earrings.

Ha! The seller should have taken it apart and sold it piecemeal on DB! Dreamer stands to make a nice buck!

Ya snooze, ya lose. Plus the seller seemed gracious and said she was happy with what she got. And that's my point anyway...be happy!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG, this is not my child...I just asked Amelia which of the two sets she likes. She likes the smaller one. Insisted on it even after I told her the other one was bigger and possibly better.

She said, "No, I like the smaller ones better, because I'm small." :rodent:

I am obviously not raising her to be a proper bling ho. :errrr: (but perhaps since children are known to see things clearly at the most basic level, she's onto something.......)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is no sickness for me. I gave up the "angst" a few years ago on all this. So you all can take your disappointment and stuff it in your jewelery boxes :tongue:

Dh says he likes the original biggest sides. It is pretty eye catching that way! I might still go that route. I unset the stones to play with them before I decide which direction to go, unlike SOME people I like to measure and weight and photograph my stones before I send them off to a jeweler (*cough cough* Tgal). I want a lab report on my key stone for fun and because I like that type of thing.

The keystone is a really interesting little beastie. There is a fair bit of leakage under the table in overhead lighting situations. But in low or indirect light -- like in a room with only light filerting in through a window, the stone is just mesmerizing! And the kozibe is out of this world. In filtered sunlight under a tree the rainbows are mental.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first set you posted on the previous page looked too small, but I do like the look of this 4.8 mm size a lot.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1339201275|3212187 said:
FWIW, it's not annoying to me. It is though a bit perplexing...in the same way someone like you is probably perplexed by someone like me who could have three unmatched stones in a ring. ;))

Well at least you can perspective take TGal :devil:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are all three in one image. I calibrated it so the center stone is the same size in all three when I pasted them together. Interesting optical illusion in the image, though, don't you think?

propcomp.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1339205565|3212238 said:
There is no sickness for me. I gave up the "angst" a few years ago on all this. So you all can take your disappointment and stuff it in your jewelery boxes :tongue:

Dh says he likes the original biggest sides. It is pretty eye catching that way! I might still go that route. I unset the stones to play with them before I decide which direction to go, unlike SOME people I like to measure and weight and photograph my stones before I send them off to a jeweler (*cough cough* Tgal). I want a lab report on my key stone for fun and because I like that type of thing.

The keystone is a really interesting little beastie. There is a fair bit of leakage under the table in overhead lighting situations. But in low or indirect light -- like in a room with only light filerting in through a window, the stone is just mesmerizing! And the kozibe is out of this world. In filtered sunlight under a tree the rainbows are mental.

Unnecessary, because I keep rings I put together for life and don't live on DB. :tongue: Amelia can take it apart and weigh the stones when I'm dead because she's going to pawn them! I just like a nice ring to wear. ::)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1339206291|3212250 said:

Unnecessary, because I keep rings I put together for life and don't live on DB. :tongue: Amelia can take it apart and weigh the stones when I'm dead because she's going to pawn them! I just like a nice ring to wear. ::)

Loose diamond are really fun to play with, you are missing out. And the techy side of my loves the lab reports. Its not about base selling motives thank you very much. Another PSer I know has a plan to get lab reports from all the major labs for her stone as a fun project. See, people vary :rodent:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1339206559|3212253 said:

Loose diamond are really fun to play with, you are missing out. And the techy side of my loves the lab reports. Its not about base selling motives thank you very much. Another PSer I know has a plan to get lab reports from all the major labs for her stone as a fun project. See, people vary :rodent:

Honestly Dreamer, I can't imagine just buying diamonds left and right to play with. I don't mean that as a slight. Obviously I'm on a diamond forum as a hobby, but we all take different things out of it. If you want to buy 15 more pairs of studs before figuring out that studs aren't for you, then enjoy, photograph, weigh, measure! We all find joy in different aspects of the journey.

And really? You don't like making money? Because that's one thing I'd fully support. :bigsmile:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1339205194|3212232 said:
And that's my point anyway...be happy!

I am happy. What you mean is "be happy with what you have" or maybe "learn to appreciate what you've got" another bon mot thrown at me when I engaged in the fun of pondering the myriad options jewelery offers.

And more generally, though I doubt you will atart it this time, I await thread in Hangout alluding to this thread and my inexplicable and bizarre behavior, without naming me but allowing everyone to weigh in and cast opinions about "people" who "can never be satisfied" so people can pat themselves on the back for being the "better" jewelry hobbiests :lol:

ETA: And Tgal, what is with all the jibes here woman? What are you looking for me to say? I have sold all my missteps and adventures. I don't plan, and did not plan, to sell these. Can you give it a rest? You have talked about selling and profits like 5 times in the last two pages.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1339206559|3212253 said:

:lol: People surely do!! That is major PS neurosis there. I'm a lazy wench.

I like the middle combo the best. Could be cuz the center looks best there and slightly blue which I love. So it's a little unfair to the other two combos.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1339206995|3212258 said:

I am happy. What you mean is "be happy with what you have" or maybe "learn to appreciate what you've got" another bon mot thrown at me when I engaged in the fun of pondering the myriad options jewelery offers.

And more generally, though I doubt you will atart it this time, I await thread in Hangout alluding to this thread and my inexplicable and bizarre behavior, without naming me but allowing everyone to weigh in and cast opinions about "people" who "can never be satisfied" so people can pat themselves on the back for being the "better" jewelry hobbiests :lol:

ETA: And Tgal, what is with all the jibes here woman? What are you looking for me to say? I have sold all my missteps and adventures. I don't plan, and did not plan, to sell these. Can you give it a rest? You have talked about selling and profits like 5 times in the last two pages.

Dreamer, I really think you are taking it personally. No, I don't mean happy with what you have. What I mean, is enjoy what you're doing, whatever it is. You really are reading into what I am saying? If I wanted to say something like be happy with what you have, I'd say it.

What inexplicable and bizarre behavior? WHAT are you talking about?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

If you care to enlighten me on this, I looked at all my topics in the past year and do not see any thread I started about people who can never be satisfied and patting backs for those who are better jewelry hobbyists. :confused:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1339207668|3212264 said:

Dreamer, I really think you are taking it personally. No, I don't mean happy with what you have. What I mean, is enjoy what you're doing, whatever it is. You really are reading into what I am saying? If I wanted to say something like be happy with what you have, I'd say it.

What inexplicable and bizarre behavior? WHAT are you talking about?

Well, maybe it is just me, but I felt attacked by you in this thread. If you are being playful, then sorry I misinterpreted. I had some unpleasant exchanges about "fickleness" or whetever the heck you want to call it on the bizarro world PS (i.e., FB), and that thread Deco started a while back in Hangout with all the judgement and condemnation of "fickle pickles" bothered me, since it was posted the same day I listed a "hot potato" item for sale. Whatever, I am keyed into this issue. I am of the mind that when people say things like, 'Well, I cannot fathom what you are doing, it is inexplicable to me, but if you enjoy it go for it!" it is judgemental. In a passive aggressive way, but judgemental none the less. If you do not mean it that way, then thats a good thing and I won't read your posts that way. I consider us friends and it hurt my feelings to read things that seemed like jibes or barbs.

ETA: No, as I said in my post I meant now Deco or someone will start a thread about this, not you. Sorry that was not clear. The good old "hot potato" thread that was NOT about me listing my Aurora :rolleyes:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1339206241|3212248 said:
Here are all three in one image. I calibrated it so the center stone is the same size in all three when I pasted them together. Interesting optical illusion in the image, though, don't you think?

Okay, when viewed all together like that, definitely the middle one!! The top one the sides are too small, and the bottom one too big. The middle proportions are juuust right!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results