shape
carat
color
clarity

Lookey what I got...

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
Inna what is your native tongue? You have a very poetic turn of phrase in english.

I too am setting shrewd ;)) Unfortunately in this case for a three stone it must be custom, or at least semi-custom, since the stones are not typical proportions.

Dreamer,
It's russian and hebrew (I grew up in both countries). I'm also dislexic, so I aplologize for all misspellings and typos I make. :oops:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1339517571|3214614 said:
Well, I just sort of thought the stones deserved to stay togeter :)) Silly maybe.

Aw, not silly. Sounds like perfect diamond logic to me ::)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good decision! I think it'll provide the most blingpact and bang for your buck!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
InnaR|1339518095|3214624 said:
Dreamer_D said:
Inna what is your native tongue? You have a very poetic turn of phrase in english.

I too am setting shrewd ;)) Unfortunately in this case for a three stone it must be custom, or at least semi-custom, since the stones are not typical proportions.

Dreamer,
It's russian and hebrew (I grew up in both countries). I'm also dislexic, so I aplologize for all misspellings and typos I make. :oops:

Don't apologise! I am way worse and have no excuse at all 8)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so happy you made a decision! So interesting that the center stone looks more cushiony at certain angles, I can't wait to see that.

And yes, I am a terrible fake Game of Thrones fan. ::) I couldn't commit to THAT MANY PAGES again! Those books are so loooooong. I'll read them this summer though and redeem myself. Promise.

I totally agree about how what Hannah said in Girls is so insightful. My sister A and I send poignant (and hilarious) lines to each other via text, and I sent that one to her. I think part of the reason I find that show so compelling yet uncomfortable is that I'm not always so keen on remembering how I behaved in my early twenties, and those characters are so spot-on. (Sorry for derailing the thread.)

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can't go wrong w/ any of the proportions of stones you listed--can't wait to see how you're going to set them now!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
GemFever|1339518266|3214630 said:
Dreamer_D|1339517571|3214614 said:
Well, I just sort of thought the stones deserved to stay togeter :)) Silly maybe.

Aw, not silly. Sounds like perfect diamond logic to me ::)

Also my logic (and my excuse for keeping setting three not perfect matched stones, hahaha.) I figure if my stones have been together for a 100 years, they could hang out for another 100. ::)

Re: Girls...OK, if you guys find them annoying, I don't think I can watch the show, no matter how insightful.

I am also a fake GOT fan. I'm OK with that! :rodent:

Haven, I gave up on the books (I thought the first one was fun, but I gave up somewhere in the middle of the series). True Blood is the same for me...it's just awful. I watched the season premiere, then the scenes for the upcoming weeks and the only think I could think was: yawn. Plus after GOT, it's just hard to watch bad acting *coughannacough*

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1339520082|3214655 said:
I'm so happy you made a decision! So interesting that the center stone looks more cushiony at certain angles, I can't wait to see that.

And yes, I am a terrible fake Game of Thrones fan. ::) I couldn't commit to THAT MANY PAGES again! Those books are so loooooong. I'll read them this summer though and redeem myself. Promise.

I totally agree about how what Hannah said in Girls is so insightful. My sister A and I send poignant (and hilarious) lines to each other via text, and I sent that one to her. I think part of the reason I find that show so compelling yet uncomfortable is that I'm not always so keen on remembering how I behaved in my early twenties, and those characters are so spot-on. (Sorry for derailing the thread.)

I will try to see if I can take a photo to show what I mean about the diamonds.

Girls: I have friends from high school who really ARE each of those young women, and in my early 20s. And maybe I see myself in each of them at some time too. You can totally tell it is written by a young woman, and she is so honest and fearless. I respect that.

TGal Hanna grows on you. She is not a bad actor, I think, as a person her character is a bad actor if that makes any sense. She has no self awareness. Anyways, obv. not for everyone!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't honestly consider her an actor at all! But that is probably why she's so fantastic in that role. She wrote it, so she knows it. Adam is finally starting to grow on me though he's still kind of a douche. lol

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: the show "Girls" ... I agree it's *real*. For me the question is: is it *entertaining*? And mostly I've been answering "no" to that question. I admire what she's doing & enjoyed her film "Tiny Furniture", but as much as I can relate to being an early/mid-twenties dumb recent writing grad in bumfudge Brooklyn ... there's so much self-loathing & masochism directed at her own character that it's uncomfortable to watch. The dramatic equivalent of public "cutting".

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some of it is hilarious. Others I can totally agree is like televised cutting.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
The original 3 stones are my absolute favorite! :love: In all of the genuine antique rings I've ever seen, none of the stones were 100% perfectly matched compared to today's standards. Because of that, I find the original 3 charming and perfect in their imperfection. ::) Also, the smaller stones may make the center pop more- at first glance- BUT the larger ones paired with the big center are stop-you-in-your-tracks WHOA blingtastic!!! 8-)

If I were you, id have the main stone sent to EGL for grading (just so it's apples to apples) or at least all 3 appraised loose and then id set it in a cool yet not too pricey setting and enjoy the heck out of it --- until you find your super deal Holy Grail 8mm+ old cut!!! (I know you said you were self conscious when you tried on the 9mm OEC but it seems like you reaaaalllllllllly want a large old cut and I bet if you gave it a week you'd totally rock it and not give a damn what anyone thought!)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really glad you've decided to keep the original 3 stones together dreamer! I really love the look, and I agree that somehow it just seems right to keep them together! :appl:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1339550617|3215022 said:
I'm really glad you've decided to keep the original 3 stones together dreamer! I really love the look, and I agree that somehow it just seems right to keep them together! :appl:
This! I am so glad you kept them together :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
LALove|1339550204|3215014 said:
The original 3 stones are my absolute favorite! :love: In all of the genuine antique rings I've ever seen, none of the stones were 100% perfectly matched compared to today's standards. Because of that, I find the original 3 charming and perfect in their imperfection. ::) Also, the smaller stones may make the center pop more- at first glance- BUT the larger ones paired with the big center are stop-you-in-your-tracks WHOA blingtastic!!! 8-)

If I were you, id have the main stone sent to EGL for grading (just so it's apples to apples) or at least all 3 appraised loose and then id set it in a cool yet not too pricey setting and enjoy the heck out of it --- until you find your super deal Holy Grail 8mm+ old cut!!! (I know you said you were self conscious when you tried on the 9mm OEC but it seems like you reaaaalllllllllly want a large old cut and I bet if you gave it a week you'd totally rock it and not give a damn what anyone thought!)

I am considering this option about the mount :)) Although there is a part of me that wants to design something unique and special, another part just wants to keep it simple with an elegant trellis mount like this: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone-trellis-18k-white-gold-5376w18

I will be getting a lab report on the center stone and maybe the sides as well. Not only for resale potential, but for curiosity and also insurance purposes: I like to have very good documentation about what I have for proving kind and quality in the event of replacement.

BTW: LALove you were trying to decide on selling your eternity for a different look. Did you ever make a decision on that?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a photo I took that may show how when the stones are oriented a certain way they all look a little more cushiony, even the center which is more round. I am thinking 4 prongs per stone will further emphasize this. Or I will do more prongs, like 5-8, to make them all look round. Not sure.

BTW stones are dirty, there are no inclusions in the stones.

cushionyorient.JPG

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also wanted to get some opinions on some prong orientations I am thinking about. The bottom two with 7-8-7 and 5-6-5 are very traditional to the period of the diamonds. The top are a little less traditional. I'll post some expamples in a moment.

oecprongs.jpg

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
I am considering this option about the mount Although there is a part of me that wants to design something unique and special, another part just wants to keep it simple with an elegant trellis mount like this: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone-trellis-18k-white-gold-5376w18

Dreamer,
I was thinking about you and a very similar setting today.
Whiteflash made for me a modified version of trellis. I digged up the pictures of the CAD and the ring itself. I remember that it was priced very reasonalble. Basically it's trellis, but without the extra metal to cover the stones.

Three%20stone%203.jpg

Three%20stone%20WF.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Inna I do like that. BGD has one as well but the sides are not as tilted, and I like the tilted better. Both are interpretations of a setting my A jaffe I think. My concern about that is the three prongs on the outer stones. It is really asking for trouble, both chipping and diamond loss. Its fine IMO for a smaller side stone, like 4.5mm or so, but with stones as large as mine? Too risky! It is also too modern I think. I really want a nod to the era of these diamonds.

Here is an example of the 7-8-7 prong configuration that I quite like. I like how low the stones are set and how big the donuts are on the baskets, giving the baskets a nice open look compared to some versions that are more upright and tapered.

crown setting.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some other iterations:

1) A mount from Langs with 5-8-5 prongs. I would want the center lowered so it looks less claw-like.

2) Here is a similar style from SS that is an homage to true antique styles. Here the prongs don't start at the base but half way up, which looks more like a crown. I quite like it.

crown.jpg

crown settingss.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I love those settings.

Agree that 3 or 4 prongs is much more modern. That's why I love how Tgal set hers, the 8 prongs really compliment the antique feel.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I like one of the bottom two, I don't care for the 4 prong on each stone at all for your stones.

The eight prong crown like setting you posted is :love: :love: :love: as is the trellis three stone.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the singlestone ones, but not sure if you are going to get as much of the profile of the stones as you want.

And if you do go that route...well, I wouldn't choose anyone else but Singlestone to do it.

ETA, I see 10 dots on the 7-8-7...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I won't pony up for Singlestone. Its just not in my makeup to pay so much for a setting, no matter how divine.

LOL yes there are 10 prongs on the 7-8-7! haha... I never said I was an expert.

I do think that BGD can do a crown style setting, like the ones I posed above with the green stone example, because they have a tapered version with nice prong work already: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-tiffany-style-half-round-18k-white-gold-5478w18

So they can likely do this easily:

crown%20setting.jpg

Honestly, I think a stock mount is more my speed!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought it might have been a 7-10-7 you were going for. :cheeky:

You mentioned that you are certing the stones, so you have good docs in case you ever decide to resell (among other reasons). If that is the case, then definitely don't pony up the money for Singlestone or any expensive custom setting. You won't make the money back.

Just go with a stock setting you like best. Or a vendor that does much more reasonably priced custom.

Do you have a budget? Might be easier to find settings and think outside the box if you do.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
$2000 to $2500 is my budget. Less is better. Much better ;))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGAl resale is not my primary thought on this, my objection to spending $$ on mounts in sort of just on principle :lol: I want the money in the rocks!

I was also thinking about something like this if I go four prongs and open design. A more open verstion of a w-prong or trellis. On the one I drew, ignore the metal and v-prongs, I mean the metal to only be where the light grey is that I drew on.

inpiration3stone.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1339566539|3215206 said:
TGAl resale is not my primary thought on this, my objection to spending $$ on mounts in sort of just on principle :lol: I want the money in the rocks!

I was also thinking about something like this if I go four prongs and open design. A more open verstion of a w-prong or trellis. On the one I drew, ignore the metal and v-prongs, I mean the metal to only be where the light grey is that I drew on.

I like the one you've drawn on - you get the swoopy effect with minimal metal. I really like it!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the gray drawn on option as well - still has a semi antique feel to it but allows plenty of light to hit the diamond. I also had a solitaire in that "w" type prong, for 6 years, and loved that setting....

But on your 3 stone topical shots a few posts up, I really liked the 6/6/6 or the 5/6/5 prong designs. I guess I'm definitely more contemporary than vintage! ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I am a purist, but my preference is always going to be an antique design for antique stones. I adore those with the crown heads! :love: I think if I didn't want to commit to the ring as a forever ring, I would just mount it in a three stone basket setting or trellis and just make the prongs pretty! If I did consider it my forever ring (what is that?!), I'd go with Singlestone or maybe 23rd St. and I'd probably get a quote from Victor, too. I am not sure that a mount with no diamonds would be so high even from those.

(I think I love the ring with the green stones the most, and I'd have Victor do it so he could do that gorgeous scroll engraving on the sides!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results