shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's talk about CS projects in progress

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Dan just sent my final listing pics of the pendant he made! I cannot wait to see it in person! The zircon I filched from an antique brooch I recently bought, and the diamond was my great grandmother's from 1922. 20201013_134238.jpg

I just love how this came out!

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

So I'm having an unexpected hard time finding a jeweler that is willing to set my stone in my ring setting. One said they don't work with client stones because of the risk that it will chip, and another said something about the basket having to be redone, just by looking at pictures he thinks the basket is too small, though it is a setting for a 3mm stone.

I'm a bit confused, is this common practice? Is the risk of chipping really all that high? Do baskets really have to be fitted to a particular stone?

It smells fishy to me but I'd love to read your suggestions :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all!

So I'm having an unexpected hard time finding a jeweler that is willing to set my stone in my ring setting. One said they don't work with client stones because of the risk that it will chip, and another said something about the basket having to be redone, just by looking at pictures he thinks the basket is too small, though it is a setting for a 3mm stone.

I'm a bit confused, is this common practice? Is the risk of chipping really all that high? Do baskets really have to be fitted to a particular stone?

Ooh! I’m sure that’s a letdown for you - I’m sorry :(

I don’t think it’s uncommon for a jeweler to not want to risk carrying the liability for a customer stone. I also don’t think it’s uncommon for something bad to happen to the customers stone and find out too late the jeweler doesn’t carry insurance to cover it.
Depending on the belly/pavilion of your stone - if it doesn’t match up with a ‘diamond cut’ stone - and the setting is made for such a stone that it can’t accommodate the larger belly/pavilion - I don’t think this is uncommon, if the mfg of the setting doesn’t know the stone specifics.
Plenty of stock settings can not accommodate non ‘diamond cut’ stones due to a belly /deeper pavilion.
I don’t know if it’s worth your time to reach out to a different jeweler to see if the setting can be modified (metal taken away) to fit your stone - or you are better off finding adifferent calibrated stone for your setting.

youll have to remember - finding a jeweler to work on your stone and modify your setting, probably won’t be as economical as would be with their own supplied setting, and they probably won’t want to be liable for damages.
and any (mfg defect) issues that might arise (small chance I’m sure) with the setting later on - the original vendor won’t be liable for nor will the jeweler who did the mods. Because it’s been ‘altered’ and customer supplied, respectively.

I do know it’s not worth trying to talk a jeweler into modifying the setting, if theyve already declined or seem wary.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hi all!

It's common, not fishy at all. If your stone breaks, the jeweler won't take responsibility if they didn't source you the original stone. This is because insurance rules are rigid, and outside stones are not covered by insurance. So to get insurance in the first place, they must agree to certain conditions for their business practice, and not setting outside stones might well be a rule imposed by the insurance company.

You should know there is risk setting any stone, especially if it's not diamond. If you let them know up front you will assume the risk of the stone chipping, they would be more willing to work with you.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
Thank you both =)2

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dan just sent my final listing pics of the pendant he made! I cannot wait to see it in person! The zircon I filched from an antique brooch I recently bought, and the diamond was my great grandmother's from 1922. 20201013_134238.jpg

It’s lovely! I love how you incorporated your grandmother’s diamond. :kiss2:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hi all!

You received great advice above concerning practices with setting stones but I just wanted to comment because when I went back to look at your beautiful ring setting and Paraiba it sadly does look that the prong setting may be too small for your para.

Take a ruler and measure in millimeters the diameter of your stone, that's a quick way at getting a good approximate diameter if your diligent about lining it up correctly.

Good luck! I hope you're able to have your stone set; road bumps to having our sparkles are never fun!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Itssss hereeeeee

I am in love with my little emerald light saber ring! How the emerald cut - emeralds play off of eachother as far as glow & color is just, omg so good!

This project was put together quickly & was a bit of an after thought but it doesn't look like one. This may be my favorite ring right now.

The color is really really hard to interpret in photographs, but they are vivid & lush in person!

IMG_20201014_171335965.jpg IMG_20201014_171333703.jpg
IMG_20201014_171327989.jpg
IMG_20201014_142052860.jpg IMG_20201014_142046028.jpg

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
this is a draft of the side of the ring, you can see the stones on the top. It’s supposed to be like ocean waves. The designer is going to use satin & polished metal to add depth & dimension. Right now she’s waiting on a wax model so she can carve the waves. Somewhere earlier in the thread I posted some CADs of the top showing the layout of the gems. We still have to figure out how the band will look and attach.

4F9A9D44-E692-4300-9F28-741B6B7875EE.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Itssss hereeeeee

I am in love with my little emerald light saber ring! How the emerald cut - emeralds play off of eachother as far as glow & color is just, omg so good!

This project was put together quickly & was a bit of an after thought but it doesn't look like one. This may be my favorite ring right now.

The color is really really hard to interpret in photographs, but they are vivid & lush in person!

Wow it really glows! Congrats!

this is a draft of the side of the ring, you can see the stones on the top. It’s supposed to be like ocean waves. The designer is going to use satin & polished metal to add depth & dimension. Right now she’s waiting on a wax model so she can carve the waves. Somewhere earlier in the thread I posted some CADs of the top showing the layout of the gems. We still have to figure out how the band will look and attach.

That looks amazing and so interesting. Pls share more pics when you can.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Really enjoying seeing others' projects come together.

@CHRISTY-DANIELLE your zircon and diamond pendant is bold and beautiful in a classic and understated way.

@TheGarnetGirl thought emerald three stone is cool and unique. It looks like octopus tentacles offering you up some gemmy emerald goodness from a shipwrecked treasure chest in the Caribbean Sea.

@Hivona the side of that ring looks like an amazing design. Definitely very ocean-like. Keeping my fingers crossed there are no mishaps or compromises when it comes to executing the design.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Itssss hereeeeee

It's gorgeous!!! :kiss2: Emeralds are notoriously difficult to photograph...they always look better in person. Based on your pics, they must look incredible.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is really neat! I can't wait to see how the metal looks with all that depth / dimension going on. :love:

PS. I can't remember what gems you're using. Could you please share again. :shifty:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous!!! :kiss2: Emeralds are notoriously difficult to photograph...they always look better in person. Based on your pics, they must look incredible.

I hate to boast, but it's not like they are huge or a million dollars so I'll indulge a bit and tell you that, yes they are truly smashing in person!

Each one held such great color alone but when put together some magic happened and they just reflect that lush green mirror glow off of one another!

voce

Ideal_Rock

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is really neat! I can't wait to see how the metal looks with all that depth / dimension going on. :love:

PS. I can't remember what gems you're using. Could you please share again. :shifty:
Here they are upside down. Sorry the lighting isn’t that great but it’s all I have. It’s a mix of aquamarine, emerald, zircon, & sapphire. Will add two more round stones, one on each side of the central aqua.
1E47EDD1-6F4D-4F43-B96F-439F9CD91DB2.jpeg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Love this! I adore asymmetric clusters - am going to do something similar with mix colour tourmalines.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is gorgeous! I love the color combo and the engraving on the shank. Totally drool worthy. :kiss2:

@Bonsai the above comment w
Here they are upside down. Sorry the lighting isn’t that great but it’s all I have. It’s a mix of aquamarine, emerald, zircon, & sapphire. Will add two more round stones, one on each side of the central aqua.
1E47EDD1-6F4D-4F43-B96F-439F9CD91DB2.jpeg

Ooh...I love the mix of blues and greens you have going on. This is going to be epic. :kiss2:

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
It’s my birthday so I get to wear my Jedi ring

it’s still cloudy in Melbourne tried to capture it but still doesn’t come close to how gorgeous it is in reality

plus I am a little wobbly after lunchtime proseccos

72CB6E17-EEBB-4E33-9B2D-01CD5D9E4D1E.jpeg

4C12EFE3-0039-4BC4-A254-04385E637566.jpeg 49FD9537-B36F-40AD-A456-5E6ECB7F1ADE.jpeg 3A03D223-CD54-4427-B20A-1CCE232165C0.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results