shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's talk about CS projects in progress

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Ok what do you think of this color scheme? Center is a 4.5mm Mint Garnet, with Inner row of 2mm Lavender Sapphires. Can't decide what to do for the outer row:

1. 1.1mm minty Demantoids
Sapphire and Demantoids.jpg

2. 1.1mm Neon Burmese Pink Spinels
Sapphire and Neon Spinels.jpg

3. Both! (mocked up on MS Paint)
Sapphire and Both.jpg

I'm leaning toward #3 because I can't decide between the two. If only I could have more rows of pave stones lol

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Ok what do you think of this color scheme? Center is a 4.5mm Mint Garnet, with Inner row of 2mm Lavender Sapphires. Can't decide what to do for the outer row:

Sapphire and Both.jpg

I'm leaning toward #3 because I can't decide between the two. If only I could have more rows of pave stones lol

I vote for #3. So refreshing! And well balanced IMO.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Chasiu I prefer #2 to #1, because 3-4 colors is the sweet spot for my own CS rings, and #1 only features 2 colors so looks more "plain". I think if you really can't decide, you should go with #3, but to my eyes #2 looks more harmonious, since #3 appears slightly distracting to me.

I want to tell you what my eyes are drawn to in the 3 layouts. #1--my eyes are drawn to the purple in the inner halo, as the outer halo green is too similar in color to the center stone, and my eyes are drawn to what's different. #2--my eyes are drawn to the center stone, and the two halos both complement the color of the center stone. #3--my eyes are drawn to the outer halo and the interesting alternating pattern.

If I were to select for myself, I'd choose the one where the center stone draws the most attention. Of course, for you, it could be that the center stone draws more attention when it's #1 or #3. We could all be seeing things differently.

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
@Chasiu I prefer #2 to #1, because 3-4 colors is the sweet spot for my own CS rings, and #1 only features 2 colors so looks more "plain". I think if you really can't decide, you should go with #3, but to my eyes #2 looks more harmonious, since #3 appears slightly distracting to me.

I want to tell you what my eyes are drawn to in the 3 layouts. #1--my eyes are drawn to the purple in the inner halo, as the outer halo green is too similar in color to the center stone, and my eyes are drawn to what's different. #2--my eyes are drawn to the center stone, and the two halos both complement the color of the center stone. #3--my eyes are drawn to the outer halo and the interesting alternating pattern.

If I were to select for myself, I'd choose the one where the center stone draws the most attention. Of course, for you, it could be that the center stone draws more attention when it's #1 or #3. We could all be seeing things differently.

@voce I agree with what you're saying about #1. After seeing the first photo, it felt like it had too much green and needed a little more variety, which is why I ended up asking for #2 with pink spinels. The colors are all complimentary in #2 but then I thought, the area/ratio of green to not green was a little too skewed toward the pink+purple.

I'm also the kind of person who loves to read a book with the TV on and music playing, because it makes me focus on the book more lol. So your analogy about what makes draws my eyes to the center stone more is pretty spot on.

I actually did just put through the order with Yvonne for layout #3 just now!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Finally got a 6 mm blue zircon through CRD in my preferred color and shape! Am still undecided as to the setting, but am considering the sunflower, camellia, and scooped Edwardian ring as possibilities.

icm_fullxfull.275725207_odpuudmozj4kso8soccg.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
@leslie1956

I got curious all of a sudden how many sunflower, camellia, and scooped Edwardian rings are already in your collection? I try to not overuse one style too often, so if I were you I'd try a style I don't have as many of. I'm sure whatever you decide, it'll be lovely!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this is allowed, however, I saw the Paraiba-coloured YAG on Gary's latest mail drop which was sold by the time I received the e-mail, and contacted him to ask if he has more roughs in that colour and he said yes!

So a 8mm Paraiba-coloured YAG, probably in cushion cut like the one that had been sold, should be on its way soon!

DK :Up_to_something: :lol-2:

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@leslie1956

I got curious all of a sudden how many sunflower, camellia, and scooped Edwardian rings are already in your collection? I try to not overuse one style too often, so if I were you I'd try a style I don't have as many of. I'm sure whatever you decide, it'll be lovely!

I don't have a scooped Edwardian ring and I sold the one camellia ring I had to fund my avatar ring :) I already have two sunflower rings and was already thinking that it might be enough, so you were reading my mind, voce, lol!

I might even send it over to Dan, if I decide to go in a different direction. I love many of the unique projects he's done for you and other PSers.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@leslie1956 I feel that Dan "gets" my ideas for custom layouts more so than Yvonne, even more so if it's an easy one such as a basic halo that he adapts to different sizes of stones. He had excellent CAD skills, whereas Yvonne relies on someone else to do the CAD. However, whenever I give him a slew of projects, he always does the easiest designs first. Like right now, I'm still waiting on the CAD designs for my butterfly and dragonfly rings, even though I was most excited for those and wanted those projects done first.

There are things that Yvonne does better. She has a refined aesthetic. She can offer very fine bead setting and hand engraving through her guys. Her settings are very price competitive compare to Stuller, and I love her extensive catalog of styles. Often times when I buy stones from her, I can already envision the stones in one or more of Yvonne's existing settings!

I prefer Enhoerning for higher budget custom projects because Inken is the most patient with understanding what exactly I want and will also push for a refined look and the best craftsmanship. Inken is the best at telling when something is feasible or not, during the processes of planning and creating, and lays out the options for me at every step. I appreciate that. Yvonne will explain why she went with a particular design decision after the fact, and doesn't hit pause until I'm on the same page with her like Inken does, so I actually enjoy full custom projects with Inken more. Inken is excellent with asking all the details before proceeding, so if I work with her, I know that I'll love the final result.

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Finally starting to put together a cluster ring with a local jeweler. This is the layout. She is working on some CADS with various bezels, half bezels and tab prongs. I can’t wait to see her ideas. It will be white gold, not sure about the gallery or any engraving or shank ideas just yet.

The gems are emerald, tourmaline, aquamarine, zircon, & sapphire. C13D1AD0-336A-443A-AFFB-57FF5C00BFC4.jpeg

Ok here are my first two CADs. Right now we are tweaking the layout of the stones. I think there needs to be a small stone on each side of the large central stone. Not loving that open space. Then we will work on the gallery & shank. Gallery will definitely be more open. I’d like something that invokes water/ocean or maybe rain. I luuuuuuuv rain but there might be too much green for rain. Any ideas are welcome!! 6AEB20B3-670E-4ADC-B147-81CECF323029.jpeg 263CC994-D328-4602-B527-0AC0847D2DDA.jpeg

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Ok here are my first two CADs. Right now we are tweaking the layout of the stones. I think there needs to be a small stone on each side of the large central stone. Not loving that open space. Then we will work on the gallery & shank. Gallery will definitely be more open. I’d like something that invokes water/ocean or maybe rain. I luuuuuuuv rain but there might be too much green for rain. Any ideas are welcome!! 6AEB20B3-670E-4ADC-B147-81CECF323029.jpeg 263CC994-D328-4602-B527-0AC0847D2DDA.jpeg

This looks so cool! Love the mix of green and blue vibes. For your rain idea ... maybe the green is like how wet grass looks so green and lively after it rains :mrgreen2:

voce

Ideal_Rock

Ooh, I love your bold, geometric layout!

I think you should add small stones to the sides (I suggest a baguette diamond and a trillion silver or blue gem).

Attachments

• IMG_20200813_095131.jpg
    IMG_20200813_095131.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@leslie1956 I feel that Dan "gets" my ideas for custom layouts more so than Yvonne, even more so if it's an easy one such as a basic halo that he adapts to different sizes of stones. He had excellent CAD skills, whereas Yvonne relies on someone else to do the CAD. However, whenever I give him a slew of projects, he always does the easiest designs first. Like right now, I'm still waiting on the CAD designs for my butterfly and dragonfly rings, even though I was most excited for those and wanted those projects done first.

There are things that Yvonne does better. She has a refined aesthetic. She can offer very fine bead setting and hand engraving through her guys. Her settings are very price competitive compare to Stuller, and I love her extensive catalog of styles. Often times when I buy stones from her, I can already envision the stones in one or more of Yvonne's existing settings!

I prefer Enhoerning for higher budget custom projects because Inken is the most patient with understanding what exactly I want and will also push for a refined look and the best craftsmanship. Inken is the best at telling when something is feasible or not, during the processes of planning and creating, and lays out the options for me at every step. I appreciate that. Yvonne will explain why she went with a particular design decision after the fact, and doesn't hit pause until I'm on the same page with her like Inken does, so I actually enjoy full custom projects with Inken more. Inken is excellent with asking all the details before proceeding, so if I work with her, I know that I'll love the final result.

That's a great breakdown, @voce, thanks! I definitely agree with your comments about Yvonne. She has such an extensive arrays of designs and gems it's been easy for me to stick with her. The only CAD project I did with her was my avatar ring. I love the ring but it took over 5 months to complete (this was pre-Covid times).

My experiences with Dan have been excellent, so far. His prices are fair and he's very quick at completing projects, though I've not done any CAD projects with him yet. I've been looking at his completed projects for some inspiration should I choose to have him set the zircon.

I've heard nothing but wonderful things about Inken, hope that I'm in a position to work with her at some point :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
@leslie1956 I should update what I said. Dan got back to me with a first CAD rendition of the butterfly! It looked pretty but wasn't really what I wanted, so now he'll be working on the next CAD soon. I will very much be looking forward to seeing his CADs for this and the dragonfly ring.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
something dark and mysterious this way comes

7D9BCBC5-074C-4471-8446-03DF8A8BE89F.jpeg F1CE0D76-4303-4388-B813-6606D958784F.gif

SQUEEEEEEEEE!!!!
Is that for ME?!! :love: :love: :love: :appl::appl::appl::appl:
It has a collet AND snakes on it to represent some of my favorite jewelry time periods.
I want it, I want it. NOW.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have reached out to Jeff W to see if he has any suitable blue green Tourmaline, after seeing the huge pile of mixed colour Tourmaline roughs he posted on his FB page.

Not urgent, however that is what I have planned for next year, so just bringing forward a bit, that's all.

DK :))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sapphire and Both.jpg

Love it!! I actually painted my daughter’s room that shade of minty green and her bedding and some furniture is purple. It’s a great color combo, and very feminine.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
F75DA8E6-1882-4EE2-93B1-D5FE7BE87CD4.gif

Thanks! And I haven’t forgotten you owe us some pics of yours!!

I know I do! I feel terrible! Between Senior pictures, touring college, and removing wisdom teeth I have not come up for air yet!!! Soon- I hope!!
We need pictures of that beauty on your hand!!!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!
Dark grey spinel
from Finewater

That's sensational!

What is the treatment on the collet? Is that black rhodium (whatever that is) or an oxide...?

And may i ask who made the ring?

Really just lovely -- pretty and unique.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock

I would add 2 small grayish/purplish/bluish spinels for rain. Or maybe something orange/yellowish for the sun after rain ends? Lowe the idea of the ring. I was thinking of the ring representing my family. The geometric layout is probably what I need to think of.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's sensational!

What is the treatment on the collet? Is that black rhodium (whatever that is) or an oxide...?

And may i ask who made the ring?

Really just lovely -- pretty and unique.

Thank you!
The shank is 18k yellow and the collet is silver, so it’s oxidized.
It was done by Sako /Cicada Jewelry Design

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results