shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's talk about CS projects in progress

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current project - a 9.82 carat unheated yellow Ceylon Sapphire ring with a halo of colorless and vivid yellow diamonds.

BA38F882-239B-48E7-A645-97F333782DD8.jpeg 798C23AD-2CCE-481C-AAD1-9117144251D6.jpeg

Wow! Looking forward to see the result. It already looks stunning

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m having Jeff White cut me a stone from his parcel of Mahenge spinels. I saw the parcel pic below and I managed to avoid temptation. But then I saw his video with some cut material and I just couldn’t resist anymore.

1E2B93BE-3CC9-4036-8014-8BCB1CE048FD.jpeg

This one is mine. Note sure which one that is in the pic but I’m excited to see how it turns out.
3D287652-0907-4906-926C-17ED4D81A31F.jpeg

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops. I seem to have bought a pair of small demantoid garnets in Yvonne‘s sale, to be made into earrings! Didn’t intend to do it but felt like I needed a lockdown birthday treat....:mrgreen:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Oops. I seem to have bought a pair of small demantoid garnets in Yvonne‘s sale, to be made into earrings! Didn’t intend to do it but felt like I needed a lockdown birthday treat....:mrgreen:

Grats! That would make for a nice birthday treat, regardless of whether you're in lockdown. But the lockdown definitely does justify spending money on a pick-me-up. :razz:

That pair of small demantoid garnets was actually in my cart, but I'm not going to check out until the last day of the sale and was hoping people would buy the stuff in my cart, to relieve me of the problem of spending so much on gems I won't be able to set for a long, long time. :P2

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grats! That would make for a nice birthday treat, regardless of whether you're in lockdown. But the lockdown definitely does justify spending money on a pick-me-up. :razz:

That pair of small demantoid garnets was actually in my cart, but I'm not going to check out until the last day of the sale and was hoping people would buy the stuff in my cart, to relieve me of the problem of spending so much on gems I won't be able to set for a long, long time. :P2

Thank you! They were just so so pretty, I can only apologise for jumping on them! :wavey:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! They were just so so pretty, I can only apologise for jumping on them! :wavey:

Don't apologize! I'm glad you got them! I am actively trying to get off the hoarder boat :lol-2:, so waiting until everybody else has had their pick before a sale ends is one way I'm trying to do that. ;-)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't venture into this thread often...but during these times, it warmed my heart to see so many beautiful projects in the works.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m having Jeff White cut me a stone from his parcel of Mahenge spinels. I saw the parcel pic below and I managed to avoid temptation. But then I saw his video with some cut material and I just couldn’t resist anymore.

1E2B93BE-3CC9-4036-8014-8BCB1CE048FD.jpeg

This one is mine. Note sure which one that is in the pic but I’m excited to see how it turns out.
3D287652-0907-4906-926C-17ED4D81A31F.jpeg

I just knew you would not be able to resist, it was a matter of time! :lol:

Mine is from the same group in that photo, the bottom one in this photo, and I suspect yours is the one on top, however I could be wrong.

Screenshot_20200312-173323_Gmail.jpg

DK :clap:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just knew you would not be able to resist, it was a matter of time! :lol:

Mine is from the same group in that photo, the bottom one in this photo, and I suspect yours is the one on top, however I could be wrong.

Screenshot_20200312-173323_Gmail.jpg

DK :clap:

Damn me, I’m so weak! :lol: Your original post was one of my temptations too.
Your rough looks great and I can’t wait to see how it turns out. Do you know what shape you’re getting?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Damn me, I’m so weak! :lol: Your original post was one of my temptations too.
Your rough looks great and I can’t wait to see how it turns out. Do you know what shape you’re getting?

I believe it is going to be an EC, and I shall ask him to cut a pair of white Sapphire step cut traps for me as a 3-stone.

DK :))

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe it is going to be an EC, and I shall ask him to cut a pair of white Sapphire step cut traps for me as a 3-stone.

DK :))

That will be gorgeous. I can't wait to see it.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I received a progress update for my opal and purple garnet ring from pages 4/5 of this thread.
She melted my old gold and is making everything by hand from that gold at her home studio, with the exception of the two garnet bezels which she was able to purchase pre-made.
9CE6B591-4807-4D20-8ACF-189360CB6E93.jpeg

7C00B09C-259A-4A61-AE10-815AEDB49156.jpeg

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
I have a ring project I'm planning and wonder if anyone here has any recommendations/thoughts.

For a while, I've wanted a ruby and turquoise ring. At some point, I purchased some 2mm red spinel rounds from Yvonne. Then, I came across a neat little pear cabochon gem silica. it is not the most translucent, but the texture is smooth and the coloration pretty even. When I got it, I thought – hey, now I have stones that look similar to rubies and turquoise!

What I want to do is set the spinels around the bottom half of the bezel-set gem silica. I don't quite know how to describe how I want the spinels set – I want them to be prong-set, but in a fan/box along the base of the center stone. I may or may not want milgrain around the bezel and the fan/box.

This (somewhat sloppy) example from Artemer explain the general orientation/look I'm going for, and Yvonne's fan ring style is also similar (though she used marquise stones E-W). I'd have Yvonne do this, but I did not get the gem silica from her.

It's a trendy style, but I like the modern riff off of art deco. I think if the setting is done well, it could be quite pretty, and I'm hoping to work with someone who can take an art deco approach to the detailing. Something cost-effective would be great, too.

Who do you think would do a good job on this setting? I've emailed both DeBebians and DanielM for quotes, but am open to other suggestions.

Also, is there anything I should be aware of when designing this? I'm good at big-picture planning, but details can trip me up. Any suggestions for this design are most appreciated!

Finally – to milgrain or not? For a while, I was dead-set on doing (fine) milgrain, but am having second thoughts.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a ring project I'm planning and wonder if anyone here has any recommendations/thoughts.

For a while, I've wanted a ruby and turquoise ring. At some point, I purchased some 2mm red spinel rounds from Yvonne. Then, I came across a neat little pear cabochon gem silica. it is not the most translucent, but the texture is smooth and the coloration pretty even. When I got it, I thought – hey, now I have stones that look similar to rubies and turquoise!

What I want to do is set the spinels around the bottom half of the bezel-set gem silica. I don't quite know how to describe how I want the spinels set – I want them to be prong-set, but in a fan/box along the base of the center stone. I may or may not want milgrain around the bezel and the fan/box.

This (somewhat sloppy) example from Artemer explain the general orientation/look I'm going for, and Yvonne's fan ring style is also similar (though she used marquise stones E-W). I'd have Yvonne do this, but I did not get the gem silica from her.

It's a trendy style, but I like the modern riff off of art deco. I think if the setting is done well, it could be quite pretty, and I'm hoping to work with someone who can take an art deco approach to the detailing. Something cost-effective would be great, too.

Who do you think would do a good job on this setting? I've emailed both DeBebians and DanielM for quotes, but am open to other suggestions.

Also, is there anything I should be aware of when designing this? I'm good at big-picture planning, but details can trip me up. Any suggestions for this design are most appreciated!

Finally – to milgrain or not? For a while, I was dead-set on doing (fine) milgrain, but am having second thoughts.

Have you asked her?
You did get the melee from her, and it seems I’ve seen on here a couple projects where she’s done that for them.
worth asking?
I think red spinel and turquoise would look great!

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
Have you asked her?
You did get the melee from her, and it seems I’ve seen on here a couple projects where she’s done that for them.
worth asking?
I think red spinel and turquoise would look great!

I asked her, and she said she would not, as the center stone came from elsewhere. She is willing to do the CAD design, which I would then take elsewhere for casting and setting. So, that's an option. I think she would do the design well, but it ups the complexity (and cost?) of the project for me, so it's not my first choice.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I asked her, and she said she would not, as the center stone came from elsewhere. She is willing to do the CAD design, which I would then take elsewhere for casting and setting. So, that's an option. I think she would do the design well, but it ups the complexity (and cost?) of the project for me, so it's not my first choice.

You know you can purchase the setting with the spinels from her set, right? Then you just have to pay a local jeweler to set the center stone. I find Yvonne's prices for a custom project are quite reasonable compared to what everybody else charges. If you are getting a prong set setting, you might even be able to DIY setting the center stone yourself.

If you want everything set by the same person, I recommend Daniel M. He does great bezels and the type of prongs that you'd see on a Stuller piece. The only caveat is sometimes I want the super sharp prongs that Yvonne's or Inken's guys do.

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
You know you can purchase the setting with the spinels from her set, right? Then you just have to pay a local jeweler to set the center stone. I find Yvonne's prices for a custom project are quite reasonable compared to what everybody else charges. If you are getting a prong set setting, you might even be able to DIY setting the center stone yourself.

That is a nuance/approach I hadn't considered – thank you! This may, indeed, be the route I go.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
When you're a CS person yet the only projects you have going both involve diamonds only.
Have I gone to the dark side?
:think:

Btw, I love seeing all of the gorgeous colorful projects everyone has going on!

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I've been on an asscher quest, first I tried diamond and it wasn't a winner, then I stumbled upon this pastel blue zircon! The cutter made matching trap sides because that's another shape I've wanted for a long time, and I think it'll make a nice fluid chunky gypsy ring. I'm such a fan of yellow gold that even after everyone voted white in my other thread, I've got to go with my heart and have as much luscious yellow gold as I can get. This will be my "sunny day" ring. Just waiting to see video of wax model now! (I photoshopped the stones into a gypsy below).

I'm also working on a "tropical vibes" version because apparently I don't know when to stop. That one is already underway, with emerald cut diamond sides, and an emerald cut lab paraiba (also photoshopped below)
B0048C6E-E9CA-49E6-BE09-6227594AD230.jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 3.51.50 PM.png

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, my spess ring is finished! I’m really so in love with it, especially the long, languid lines. DK struggled to find any matching pink sapphires during this Covid time, and I’m just so pleased with how it turned out. I wish I could show the video here, but don’t know how to do that.
11AC37A4-9AAA-4FE3-96E0-01EDC5D21CDD.jpeg 982B28D5-7936-45AB-B096-6F12A4F836C4.jpeg 9C6B2729-5D1B-4D97-8AC9-E8EBD8959BB9.jpeg C3209645-1754-4098-9568-88B0F1E6B4C2.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Well, my spess ring is finished! I’m really so in love with it, especially the long, languid lines. DK struggled to find any matching pink sapphires during this Covid time, and I’m just so pleased with how it turned out. I wish I could show the video here, but don’t know how to do that.
11AC37A4-9AAA-4FE3-96E0-01EDC5D21CDD.jpeg 982B28D5-7936-45AB-B096-6F12A4F836C4.jpeg 9C6B2729-5D1B-4D97-8AC9-E8EBD8959BB9.jpeg C3209645-1754-4098-9568-88B0F1E6B4C2.jpeg

:kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:
So glad it's done! Elegant and lovely. Can you please tell us where you sources the spess and what origin it is?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:
So glad it's done! Elegant and lovely. Can you please tell us where you sources the spess and what origin it is?

Thank you so much, @voce! I just wish I could show the video which shows how The lines flow a little better. I purchased the spess from a lovely PS’er who generously allowed me to purchase it from her collection. I believe it is Nambian.

Last edited:

woweezowee

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Oh my gosh, you ring is STUNNING! You must be over the moon! I absolutely love a spess/pink combo, and the design is TDF. Can’t wait to see more pics . Congratulations!!!!!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, you ring is STUNNING! You must be over the moon! I absolutely love a spess/pink combo, and the design is TDF. Can’t wait to see more pics . Congratulations!!!!!

Thank you so much!!! I really am super happy with it. I’ll post lots more when it arrives. I’ve got a similar bracelet with spess and pink spinels, so I’ll try them out together:)

woweezowee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much!!! I really am super happy with it. I’ll post lots more when it arrives. I’ve got a similar bracelet with spess and pink spinels, so I’ll try them out together:)

ooh, can you post a photo of the bracelet??

looking at your ring some more, I totally see what you mean by it having long lines. I love how the lines end in the double prongs. Just gorgeous!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooh, can you post a photo of the bracelet??

looking at your ring some more, I totally see what you mean by it having long lines. I love how the lines end in the double prongs. Just gorgeous!

Sure! Here it is... mind you, these spessartites in the bracelet are more yellow. The pink stones are pink spinels.
When choosing between a smaller, more yellow spess, and this larger, more pure orange spess in the ring, I chose this even though it’s not a perfect match. C4FB950C-4688-4E09-8E07-0896D1FBD820.jpeg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My mouth dropped open when I saw your ring. I love the colors. I love the warm gold with the bright orange. I love how the delicate prongs match the intricacy of the portuguese (I think?) faceting. It is at once powerful and elegant. It is a stunning and sophisticated warm bear hug. Well done!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results