shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's talk about CS projects in progress

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Any updates on the kunzite pendant or the gem silica? It's been about a week...? :))

I suspect DKJ and the entire LA jewelry district are under lock down, so it might be awhile before we see the Kunzite. Plan was to drop off the gem silica when we drove to LA to pick up the K. I doubt we'll be going down there anytime soon. :(sad

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My rings arrived from James Allen set with sapphires from Gene on Monday, but I just got around to taking a couple of quick pics today. I’m very happy with both of the rings :)) .
3627531F-A171-4408-80F9-C994A15C69A5.jpeg

54196112-C401-4EC9-8FFA-8A44B68FC431.jpeg

Those are gorgeous sapphires! I love the halo setting you chose...it’s so feminine and lovely.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a start on a new project, though it may take a while to complete :) I bought a lovely 5 mm Vietnamese lavender spinel from Yvonne and have plans to set it in a Sunflower ring with moonstone melee. I'm leaning towards rose gold to enhance the delicate coloring of the gems.
CRD's casting company Taba is shut down for the duration of the pandemic, so it will be a while before the setting will be available.

Here is the spinel :)

il_794xN.2287131881_599y.jpg

Attachments

• il_75x75.2239533326_d20x.jpg
    il_75x75.2239533326_d20x.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 25

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wax model for chrysoberyl-2.jpg
Wax model with a chrysoberyl. Just a quick shot from the shop -- I didn't actually plan to phone-focus on the back of the band so you couldn't see the stone

The finished ring -- chrysoberyl in 18K green gold handmade ring, under heavily overcast skies and a light rain (typical for us). Unedited photo -- but it is from a cell phone. Actually looks better than this IRL. Stone from Adamant International -- the best-looking stone I've ever bought sight unseen. chrysoberyl ring 28MAR2020.jpg

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
IMG_20200323_143053.jpg
I submitted some stones with my ideas about the design to Daniel M. These are officially underway with some simple bezel designs that hopefully he'll be able to make at home instead of risking his health to go to work. I need to take a break from more extravagant designs and enjoy less costly jewelry. I did the twice monthly chore of checking my bank balance, and was not happy with what I saw, especially with paying my taxes on time.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all

Loving this thread so many gorgeous pieces in progress

I had a separate thread where I had asked for advice on my ring but thought I would share some progress pics in here.

It’s an asscher cut aqua I wanted a greenish blue stone and it is being set in Platinum.

So grateful to the jeweller sharing these progress pics. Latest one has the spots for the diamonds

AD551E47-3320-4393-AB22-59AB8C02F69D.jpeg 1B50ED60-1BD5-4573-A0D4-151791A32624.jpeg CF2346F1-7F31-4FE5-A4E2-54251C04339D.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The finished ring -- chrysoberyl in 18K green gold handmade ring, under heavily overcast skies and a light rain (typical for us). Unedited photo -- but it is from a cell phone. Actually looks better than this IRL. Stone from Adamant International -- the best-looking stone I've ever bought sight unseen. chrysoberyl ring 28MAR2020.jpg

What a great thread! As I am still on a ban and enjoying what I alteady have, I am hugely enjoying your goodies in progress.

I loooooooove this design and stone

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats @LilAlex, beautiful chrysoberyl. :kiss2: I have a golden chrysoberyl ring on the way to me, a vintage piece with the stone a similar colour to yours! Can't wait to see it in person.
Does yours shift colour at all in different lighting conditions?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all

Loving this thread so many gorgeous pieces in progress

I had a separate thread where I had asked for advice on my ring but thought I would share some progress pics in here
It’s an asscher cut aqua I wanted a greenish blue stone and it is being set in Platinum.

So grateful to the jeweller sharing these progress pics. Latest one has the spots for the diamonds

AD551E47-3320-4393-AB22-59AB8C02F69D.jpeg 1B50ED60-1BD5-4573-A0D4-151791A32624.jpeg CF2346F1-7F31-4FE5-A4E2-54251C04339D.jpeg

I love how this is coming together! It has such a modernity to a classic. I’m impressed!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This thread is such a pleasant distraction. Everyone has such beautiful projects they are working on and have received :)).
I have this black opal from Jordy that I want to send to a local artist to set in a three stone with the purple garnet sides. It’s a roval and I can’t decide whether I like it better orientated east/west or north/south. What do you all prefer?
East/West:
21C68D41-C2BE-4C18-B17C-B03CA28AEC79.jpeg
North/South:
8B615975-2DE5-4883-8843-7E4C171A9E90.jpeg

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@2Neezers Hi, what are the measurements of the stones? Will the width be comfy for you if you opt for E-W setting? Beautiful combo by the way. It's the first time I have seen opal with purple garnet. I love the colours together! :kiss2:
I think for me and just my personal preference here the N-S works better. In the E-W orientation it looks a bit more like a 'band' ring. Are you going to bezel the opal for protection?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@2Neezers Hi, what are the measurements of the stones? Will the width be comfy for you if you opt for E-W setting? Beautiful combo by the way. It's the first time I have seen opal with purple garnet. I love the colours together! :kiss2:
I think for me and just my personal preference here the N-S works better. In the E-W orientation it looks a bit more like a 'band' ring. Are you going to bezel the opal for protection?
Hi @Niffler75 :)) . The opal measures 8.8mm x 8mm and the garnets are 5.5mm each. The stones will give a lot of finger coverage, but I have large hands so I think it will work in either orientation. I’m leaning toward N-S too right now, but I like either option. The artist I am sending the stones to does a lot of bezels and she comes up with three design options to choose from, which is great for me since I’m design challenged, lol. Thanks for the compliment on the color combo. I have been looking for side stones for the opal and just realized these garnets I already owned and had planned for earrings would work!

voce

Ideal_Rock
This thread is such a pleasant distraction. Everyone has such beautiful projects they are working on and have received :)).
I have this black opal from Jordy that I want to send to a local artist to set in a three stone with the purple garnet sides. It’s a roval and I can’t decide whether I like it better orientated east/west or north/south. What do you all prefer?
East/West:
North/South:

Beautiful project idea! I prefer N/S, as the shape of the opal stands out more that way. Does the "fire" on the opal appear more in one orientation vs another?

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@2Neezers 'Design challenged', :lol-2: I don't think so! I'm sure this project will turn out beautifully. ;)2
@voce makes an excellent point about orientation of the opal and colour play!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a golden chrysoberyl ring on the way to me, a vintage piece with the stone a similar colour to yours! Can't wait to see it in person.
Does yours shift colour at all in different lighting conditions?

Yes -- no way for me to capture it. In low cool light, it's pale orange. In even daylight overhead light, it's a really vivid almost electric honey-color. It's "official" color on the report is "greenish-orange" or something similar, although I really can't make it look green in any light yet. The best thing about it is the almost metallic-looking luster -- it can be citrine-colored in some lights but looks nothing like a citrine. Not that watery, glassy look.

It reminds me a little of a tiny fancy-colored diamond I coveted that was similarly "greenish-orange," depending upon which minute you looked at it. That was an "ugly" diamond but a captivating and resaonably-priced ring ("pretty" fancy diamonds are totally out of my league) and I missed it when it sold.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@LilAlex Yes my stone is really vivid as well, slightly lighter yellow than yours and in the vendor pics seems to shift to a more golden orange colour.
I should receive it Tuesday and will post pictures! I posted about it on the vintage thread and some people questioned whether it was actually chrysoberyl as it was not green. But it can come in lots of variations of green, yellow and brown.

Chrysoberyl-faceted-gems-1024x915.png

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should receive it Tuesday and will post pictures! I posted about it on the vintage thread and some people questioned whether it was actually chrysoberyl as it was not green. But it can come in lots of variations of green, yellow and brown.

Good luck! I confess that I have been so color-focused that I was unprepared for how cool the luster was.

Yes, the chartreuse greens are beautiful. Mine is a bit like the far-right, middle-row in your photo. So far from the trade-ideal color but seemed well suited to a man''s ring. It is well cut and for a less expensive stone like this, I totally see the importance -- similar to diamond. Far fewer "wonky" cuts than for sapphire. I love sapphire but it's nice to be able to get a substantial, durable, lovely stone for a fraction of the price. (I am not a chrysoberyl evangelist and have no professional connection to anybody!)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my i’n progress piece’. I bought this lovely @4.5 carat spess from a fabulous and wise PS er, ( very grateful btw) and I’m going forward with setting it. My anniversary and birthday are coming, and my 2 oldest are going to college. It’s a life phase piece. Having 2 of my 4 kids transitioning into adulthood.,,I want to celebrate! Though, I know there is ALOT of support that they still need. And who knows what’s to come.
A9BFA962-D5D1-41F7-9AB0-893591331B73.png 67DBEC42-16F8-4843-B632-8DC6638D8441.png 99060C4D-320C-4DB6-9A48-7F120E9737D3.jpeg here is the stone, ( last picture).., the picture does little justice to it, for It is a lovely, pure and deep orange with no brown. I’m working with DK to create a setting inspired by these 2...,..imagine colorless diamonds, and instead of pear diamonds, ( pictured), pink spinels or sapphires. I want a setting that is sufficiently sparkly, but more about the architecture of the gold, with focus on the garnet. Something that is strong for its form rather than sparkle, given the nature of the spess.

Last edited:

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I love how this is coming together! It has such a modernity to a classic. I’m impressed!

Thank you so much. Sadly the jeweller advised that his diamond setter has moved to working from home. He is hoping that he set up some kind of a workshop at his home but is unsure. So I may need to wait a little longer.

East/West:
North/South:

Wow I adore black opals. Coming from Australia and being an October baby I always coveted one. I am yet to own one and this has me dreaming again. I too love the N/S there is just something balanced about it if you know what I mean

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
East/West:
North/South:

Lovely! I prefer N/S !

AV_

Ideal_Rock

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LilAlex Your ring is my ideal.

Thanks so much! I feel a little silly since the ring was a lot more than the stone and I have criticized others for the same. (I guess there's a bigger life lesson there.) But neither was a "bargain."

Happy to send more detailed pics. The jeweler was not super-psyched to make it (not his stone) but his main goldsmith of forty years loved it and made the ring right away. It's "comfort-fit" and all radiused on the inside, etc.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful project idea! I prefer N/S, as the shape of the opal stands out more that way. Does the "fire" on the opal appear more in one orientation vs another?

That’s a great thought! The fire was about the same in either orientation on this overcast day. I’ll have to see if there’s a noticeable difference on a sunny day.

Thanks to everyone for helping me decide which way to set the center opal! It’s great to know North/South is the preferred orientation :)).

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here is my i’n progress piece’. I bought this lovely @4.5 carat spess from a fabulous and wise PS er, ( very grateful btw) and I’m going forward with setting it. My anniversary and birthday are coming, and my 2 oldest are going to college. It’s a life phase piece. Having 2 of my 4 kids transitioning into adulthood.,,I want to celebrate! Though, I know there is ALOT of support that they still need. And who knows what’s to come.
A9BFA962-D5D1-41F7-9AB0-893591331B73.png 67DBEC42-16F8-4843-B632-8DC6638D8441.png 99060C4D-320C-4DB6-9A48-7F120E9737D3.jpeg here is the stone, ( last picture).., the picture does little justice to it, for It is a lovely, pure and deep orange with no brown. I’m working with DK to create a setting inspired by these 2...,..imagine colorless diamonds, and instead of pear diamonds, ( pictured), pink spinels or sapphires. I want a setting that is sufficiently sparkly, but more about the architecture of the gold, with focus on the garnet. Something that is strong for its form rather than sparkle, given the nature of the spess.

That is one heck of a spess!!! :drool::drool::drool:

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
My jeweler is back in Shanghai! Unfortunately, she's in hotel quarantine...so I can't see her until April 15th urgh. I know strict quarantine laws are overall a net positive...but selfishly, I'm a tad annoyed lol, but that's only because I'm impatient to set my pad!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
... the ring was a lot more than the stone...
goldsmith of forty years loved it and made the ring right away.

These band rings are the only style I owned (always one at a time) & I need one; I love gold and the wear on pure gold is not a problem (let it live my life!) & a couple of colors possible in various colored stones (goldens, and lighter blues/turquoise) out of which the golden tones are winning. I would highly enjoy seeing your ring in detail!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

OMG, that's gorgeous !well done!

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
Bit inspired from the forum here as well as Ive only one ring in yellow gold Im actually thinking about to set a cushion gem for a silver color men's ring. In platinum or white gold. Im not sure witch gem I will choose as I like both of them. It will turn out when the project becomes more concrete I guess. So far I imagine only a simple design, something in the direction of the example pic, with the stone set north-south and set somehow like on the pic or with 4 prongs. Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-30 um 21.55.00.png

IMG_8254_.jpg

2.34ct. Burmese pure grey spinel (vendor pic)

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-29 um 16.56.28.png

1.50ct. loupe clean no heat Madagascar sapphire

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results