shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's play a game... rainbow gems.

@whitewave
My precision cut Mozambique aquamarine for blue

20220906_094642.jpg

Any "inclusions" or marks seen are smudges; its entirely clean. It's such a pure baby blue and a shape that I adore. Shes 6.35cts & 15.2x9.5x6.7mm

This is my favorite shade of aqua... it's a sort of powdery or watery (fitting!) blue, but still saturated, which I just adore. I, like @Daisys and Diamonds, am waiting impatiently to know the deets on how you'll set this beauty!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is my favorite shade of aqua... it's a sort of powdery or watery (fitting!) blue, but still saturated, which I just adore. I, like @Daisys and Diamonds, am waiting impatiently to know the deets on how you'll set this beauty!

yes, as much as i love the greeny ones too if someone asked me what's the colour of aqumarine? i would show this

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@Autumn in New England & @Daisys and Diamonds

It's a lovely elongated shape, the perfect size/dimensions for my hand personally, so I don't want to add a halo or any side stones that will change these face up dimensions, so I'd like to go for a very simple brushed matte bezel and band. Extremely simple & slightly more protective for more wear.

This stone represents my sweet son's birth, and so I'd imagine I'll wear it a bit more than my other rings! At first yellow gold was a given but after putting it next to unplated 14k white gold, it would look extremely icy/blingy, even with this settings simplicity.

What do you think, yellow or white gold? Rose is out if the picture as it's just all wrong for this baby blue.

Something like this but obviously on a larger scale..

il_794xN.3872276777_89bg.jpg
il_794xN.3872329299_tb4u.jpg

Also, merci for your lovely comments you sweeties ❤

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's a lovely elongated shape, the perfect size/dimensions for my hand personally, so I don't want to add a halo or any side stones that will change these face up dimensions, so I'd like to go for a very simple brushed matte bezel and band. Extremely simple & slightly more protective for more wear.

This stone represents my sweet son's birth, and so I'd imagine I'll wear it a bit more than my other rings! At first yellow gold was a given but after putting it next to unplated 14k white gold, it would look extremely icy/blingy, even with this settings simplicity.

What do you think, yellow or white gold? Rose is out if the picture as it's just all wrong for this baby blue.

I think yellow gold! Beautiful Lex!!!

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@LemonMoonLex It is lovely! I would go with yellow gold, or mixed yellow and white gold.

@Autumn in New England yes, those garnets are quite interesting. In mixed, regular light they are deep, dark red.
Wow that's a nearly 100% color change! Incredible!!

Indigo? I just received this cobalt spinel, it turned out darker than I had hoped. it has been horribly overcast here so maybe that’s why. It Is a moody stone. It looks nice in some lighting but is mostly stubbornly inky, even outdoors. Could you share your thoughts, please? Seriously considering returning it because to me a gem should look good across lighting conditoons 0C0B71C1-FFB9-4128-A4DF-11679C1F6E35.jpeg

Attachments

• D6733907-5756-4281-BD75-4B7AF6296788.jpeg
    D6733907-5756-4281-BD75-4B7AF6296788.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 31053F4F-D09E-41E3-8204-2154BA0CC336.jpeg
    31053F4F-D09E-41E3-8204-2154BA0CC336.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 466C6305-538A-415E-A9C8-F23E88035D4D.jpeg
    466C6305-538A-415E-A9C8-F23E88035D4D.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 31

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
@LemonMoonLex It is lovely! I would go with yellow gold, or mixed yellow and white gold.

@Autumn in New England yes, those garnets are quite interesting. In mixed, regular light they are deep, dark red.

Indigo? I just received this cobalt spinel, it turned out darker than I had hoped. it has been horribly overcast here so maybe that’s why. It Is a moody stone. It looks nice in some lighting but is mostly stubbornly inky, even outdoors. Could you share your thoughts, please? Seriously considering returning it because to me a gem should look good across lighting conditoons 0C0B71C1-FFB9-4128-A4DF-11679C1F6E35.jpeg

I have one like this a little over 4 cts. I knew it was very dark when I bought it. I like mine Screenshot_20210307-165157_Gallery.jpg and plan to eventually set it like the Diana ring. I will say I paid very little for it ($70 a ct.) considering it is such a large spinel.

Edited to say my other blue spinel which I THINK may have some cobalt never ever gets this dark, even in a dim room.

Last edited:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I just received this cobalt spinel, it turned out darker than I had hoped. it has been horribly overcast here so maybe that’s why. It Is a moody stone. It looks nice in some lighting but is mostly stubbornly inky, even outdoors. Could you share your thoughts, please?

I myself don't mind a moody stone, but the pictures you've posted look so different from each other it's difficult to gauge what's the actual colour you see with your eyes. Or are they all accurate and it's just that the stone can look that different depending on the light?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Crimson is it more often inky than not?

For me it would depend on how often it is dark! Cost would also be a factor! I have a darkish teal sapphire that I spent (I think) about $400 AUD on. I thought it was ok for the price as it was 50/50 in terms of whether it was dark or a glorious peacock teal. For that price I kept it!

If you spent a decent chunk though, I would expect better performance and return the stone! I bet that fabulous cuprian of yours is gorgeous in all lights!

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
I have one like this a little over 4 cts. I knew it was very dark when I bought it. I like mine Screenshot_20210307-165157_Gallery.jpg and plan to eventually set it like the Diana ring. I will say I paid very little for it ($70 a ct.) consider it is such a large spinel.
@Mrs_Strizzle Thank you so much for sharing!, That helps, especially the comparison to your other spinel. Re: price, I paid a lot more for this one, so I guess it is not quite up to the mark,

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@Crimson is it more often inky than not?

For me it would depend on how often it is dark! Cost would also be a factor! I have a darkish teal sapphire that I spent (I think) about $400 AUD on. I thought it was ok for the price as it was 50/50 in terms of whether it was dark or a glorious peacock teal. For that price I kept it!

If you spent a decent chunk though, I would expect better performance and return the stone! I bet that fabulous cuprian of yours is gorgeous in all lights!

Dear @mellowyellowgirl Yes, look at this photo! It is mostly dark and needs coaxing. it cost over US$800/ct. not expensive for spinel but probably too much for this stone? 35215906-3586-4DDA-8A99-D949E5CA524D.jpeg My smaller blue spinel (2nd fr bottom) which I bought fr a collector for $100 performs much better,
D6C9E451-9CA9-4B1E-8D9A-8544E3BFFE03.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Crimson At first glance I read that as $800 and thought "Well that's not too bad for a large spinel. Then I read $800/ct!!!!!

I would send it back! For a few reasons.

1. You really shouldn't have to work so hard for something that costs a decent amount all up
2. Setting costs. You will need to set it and then work on coaxing the colour!
3. From what I've seen of your pieces, you have BEAUTIFUL pieces! This really doesn't compare to the limited number of items I've seen you post! It already feels like the odd child out of all your items which are very vibrant!!!

I do empathise with you though! I had a run in with a weak willed green tourmaline that only looks beautiful under ONE set of conditions. It made me loathe tourmalines for a while until the rubellites!

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl and @Mrs_Strizzle thank you for your detailed feedback and advice! Back it goes, tomorrow!. The perils of trying to gauge color and performance online…
@mellowyellowgirl thank you for your kind words about my jewellery. I don’t have an extensive collection like yours, but I try to maintain a certain standard! Whatever I buy must be adorable, or wow, or wild.
Pink is next. I just received these 3 mm cutie spinels in various shades of pink and peach to go with the pink Cuprian I had shared earlier.

Attachments

• 772A193E-27ED-43A5-AF35-413016BCE6EB.jpeg
    772A193E-27ED-43A5-AF35-413016BCE6EB.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 7

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

Was this the one we saw pictures of?
She's a nice dark blue.
Send her back, purely because they're asking a king's ransom. If it was 800 for the stone, sure, but not 800/ct. I'm sure they're marketing it as cobalt. It's a personal pet peeve, but normal for retail. It's why I haven't bought a spinel retail in forever. Everything is either Jedi, Mahenge or has cobalt! now- the trouble is many of them aren't near the color that command those prices, while charging for it anyway. I'm probably being stubborn to the fact that they will very quickly lose the advantage of any appreciable affordability.
Boo hiss!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Green! These are my tourmaline earrings with diamond jackets & exchangeable drops. [Edited to add: I only purchased the jackets on the left side of first photo]
C56AC6B2-7B57-4BF4-A846-EEE30778515E.jpeg E2E9450D-9FDB-4639-B804-67243B9FD6D6.jpeg 26B2BA41-6EA4-426A-9280-1644019AC22C.jpeg A2619D74-11B9-41DC-980A-F1E146EC32C0.png

Love how versatile these earrings & jackets & drops are! They look good in all the colour combos <3

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
I myself don't mind a moody stone, but the pictures you've posted look so different from each other it's difficult to gauge what's the actual colour you see with your eyes. Or are they all accurate and it's just that the stone can look that different depending on the light?
@Avondale Thank you. Yes, it is a moody stone. The original four photos I posted are of the same stone. The one among the green leaves is how I wish it would look all the time but it seems to be closed and dark in most lighting conditions. The strange thing is that at night it seems to wake up and become a beautiful shimmering purple-indigo.
Was this the one we saw pictures of?
She's a nice dark blue.
Send her back, purely because they're asking a king's ransom. If it was 800 for the stone, sure, but not 800/ct. I'm sure they're marketing it as cobalt. It's a personal pet peeve, but normal for retail. It's why I haven't bought a spinel retail in forever. Everything is either Jedi, Mahenge or has cobalt! now- the trouble is many of them aren't near the color that command those prices, while charging for it anyway. I'm probably being stubborn to the fact that they will very quickly lose the advantage of any appreciable affordability.
Boo hiss!
@ItsMainelyYou, Thank you for your frank evaluation. That is what I needed. Yes, this stone is from new Mahenge cobalt spinel deposit, and has the characteristic lamellar and line inclusions. It is fascinating under a loupe. It also colour- shifts. For me, it is like an artiste who occasionally comes out to perform a stunt, and then retires backstage for a long time:confused:

I think the blue is saturated enough that it will look smashing in yellow gold. And if you want to keep that icy look, you can go with white. I don't think you can make a mistake. I love your idea for a simple, brushed bezel!

@Crimson I'm not surprised to hear that the stone has multiple personalities, as blue spinel often displays color change properties. Moody is a great word for it! In any event, I'm going to have to respectfully break with the consensus on this one... I do not think you overpaid. Take a look at this stone, for instance...

Marc routinely prices his blue spinels at $1k or more per carat, and this one isn't even cobalt-bearing. It's a gahnite, which is much less scarce... and appears quite a bit more teal and steely than yours. It's also only 2.62ct. A 4ct.+ cobalt spinel is going to be far more valuable. Marc is also known for having reasonable pricing. Just be careful about comparing prices you've paid from reputable dealers to those paid by others, because we really don't know what they have (not talking about anyone here, of course, as I know our group is very savvy; just speaking in general). The other thing to remember about blue spinel is that you're never going to see the neon Luc Yen colors in a stone of this size from Tanzania (or anywhere else, for that matter). And, if you did, it'd be priceless. So, all-in-all, this is still a very fine stone.

I just wanted to get all of that stuff out of the way. Now, the only thing that matters is if you are happy with the stone. And it sounds like it has been a disappointment. If you have your doubts about it now, it's been my experience that they are only going to be amplified down the road. I've never once been able to will myself into loving a purchase I questioned at first. So I think your decision to return it is the right one.

I'm so sorry this wasn't the stone you hoped it'd be, my friend! I know you were excited to receive it. The good news is that Antony's return policy is very buyer-friendly! I look forward to following your continue hunt for "the one!!" :mrgreen2:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
@Crimson , @Autumn in New England does make a very fair point. I probably shouldn't have stated "grossly over paid" when comparing your stone to mine. Mine is Sri Lankan not from the new find, and was purchased in Sept 2019 (I had to review my image gallery where I save them to see how long I've owned it.) I haven't shopped the new find and had no idea what prices are for those stones. I guess I was just strictly going off your images taken, not the ones you posted out doors which seems to be a completely different color! Mine shifts from royal blue to greenish blue, but always dark no matter the lighting (lots of half extinction that is ok with me for this one). It was purchased from a PS recommended gemstone cutter and not a private party, however. (Which really is how I like to buy...below retail!)

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes, you don't get what you pay for. You just pay. A lot. For nought.

At 800 USD per carat, for this colour, you are better off with a cheapie teal sapphire. Unheated with a hardness of 9 too.

Perhaps ditch the idea of a blue spinel for now.

Good blue sapphires unheated, are a better option.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results