shape
carat
color
clarity

Lets help my friend's son find an engagement ring! 4K all in... c'mon bang for buck prosumers

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s gorgeous but it’s only 5.71x 5.70!

That is face up size like a .75 round :errrr:

Yes - but consider: his budget would only stretch to a 0.75 ideal cut round, so he's buying an equivalent amount of face-up size, in the shape she wants, with the bragging rights of it being 1.2 cts.

And that would be in a plain solitaire setting - if he wanted to do a square head, as suggested by someone, he'd be able to get even less than that.

Looking at the Tiffany True, I REALLY think a radiant or asscher is what she wants, with an outside possibility of a princess, and I don't know why people keep recommending rounds and cushions. That's not the look they want.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I came across a scissor cut at Yadav. It's got a bit of a bugger but could be eye clean. If narrow, at least it has some length. Keep it clean! :Up_to_something:

For a cushion, I'd go with this. I'd put this one on hold.

And get the setting at James Allen as well...possibly this one...
** base of shank looks a bit wider**

Or this one for a bit more...
** set a bit lower than the pic shows though.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Lucy-In-The-Sky

Rough_Rock
If her dream ring is the Tiffany True, I don't know that she'd be happy with a radiant. Maybe an asscher would be a decent substitute?

I'm leaning towards getting the .51 ct Tiffany True mentioned above, although hopefully the lady in question won't be disappointed with the size of a half carat after looking at larger stones online.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also mm size alone on a report does not tell you the “size” of the diamond. To say a .75 round will face up like a 1+ ct square is not accurate.
example.
524B9EAF-9779-4958-8C8D-F3FA6F33BA9A.jpeg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also mm size alone on a report does not tell you the “size” of the diamond. To say a .75 round will face up like a 1+ ct square is not accurate.
example.
524B9EAF-9779-4958-8C8D-F3FA6F33BA9A.jpeg

Tell that to my eyes every time I look at my asscher

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If her dream ring is the Tiffany True, I don't know that she'd be happy with a radiant. Maybe an asscher would be a decent substitute?

I'm leaning towards getting the .51 ct Tiffany True mentioned above, although hopefully the lady in question won't be disappointed with the size of a half carat after looking at larger stones online.

The vast majority of people are only looking at outline shape when they pick out a stone shape, not facet pattern. I would not assume the facet pattern has to be exactly the same, but rather that any cut-corner square will fit the bill. It’s highly, highly unlikely that she knows that the Tiffany True is an unusual cut, especially since she sent her fiancé-to-be forth with merely a picture. I would not impose the PS mindset on this in that way, unless we specifically know the facet pattern and not the overall outline is what is valued.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think the answer is to ask her more questions.

does she specifically want this exact ring? does she care about the tiffany brand? does she care about the size of the diamond?

the answers could lead you to different outcomes.

she may want the exact thing in the photo even though the center stone will be small

she may prefer to have a similar stone but larger and unbranded in a similar setting

i wouldn't try to guess...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I think she wants square with cut corners. @ccuheartnurse posted above exactly what I was going to suggest. It's cut sooooo much better than a radiant! It's over a carat which is very nice! It's pretty much a needle in a haystack, so I'd highly recommend him reserving it if he's interested.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! I think she wants square with cut corners. @ccuheartnurse posted above exactly what I was going to suggest. It's cut sooooo much better than a radiant! It's over a carat which is very nice! It's pretty much a needle in a haystack, so I'd highly recommend him reserving it if he's interested.

Love this! @diamondseeker2006. I think you nailed it! This looks exactly what the OP ordered! And nice faceting! Geez! So awesome!

-C4C

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Crazie4Cuts Thanks, but ccheartnurse actually posted it first! This is the only radiant style stone that I like. And they are very hard to find in virtual inventories, so I hope she sees this soon! I think it's the best possible option compared to the Tiffany ring. That was the only stone like it within his budget.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
The Tiffany True is a hybrid step-cut and brilliant cut. Does she have any preferences on size, color, clarity, etc? For cut would she prefer asscher or princess? I would look at James Allen and Blue Nile to start!

I don’t know. But I agree!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, can I play?

I’m not a fan of the pre-loved he is considering, primarily because it’s an I1 and there’s some notation of a drilled imperfection?

Haven’t searched for other pre-loved options yet, but since the center stone on his is essentially 1ct, I went that route and found the below to start. Any of them should allow for a plain solitaire setting.

Radiants

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/0.96-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-7750886

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.00-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-8526849 - this radiant is :kiss2:

https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/17764452/1-01-carat-radiant-diamond-h-color-vs2-clarity - nicely sized face-up

Cushions

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.91-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-8552702 - appears to be a H&A cushion on a tilt

https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/12505677/1-03-carat-cushion-diamond-h-color-si1-clarity - possible criss cut cushion?

It would be helpful to understand her color, size, etc. preferences to better hone in on the right searches, especially on pre-loved opportunities.

Thanks for the suggestions I am passing them along!

I don’t know any more than I shared I am sorry.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
I mean I hate to say it but I’d probably lay get her a princess cut!
That looks the same to me ‍♀
does he think used is acceptable?

Yes! He is definitely looking secondhand

Reactions: AV_

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Here are a few radiants:

(my fave - looks to sparkle well, high crown, 5.7x5.7 so largish for the budget - tradeoff is an inclusion in the table but I really doubt it can be noticed)

(stunner in terms of facet pattern but tiiiiny)

With one of these settings:

Some Tiffany Lucida options - unfortunately both bulkier settings:

Thank you!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Do you know how important it is that it is a Tiffany? Looking for a secondhand True or Lucida (probably easier to find) ring would be the way to go in that case. $4k might get around .9ct for the center diamond that way.

If it's just the style, of course that is easier.

I don’t think he is considering a Tiffany because of the cost for the brand. Trying to emulate her dream ring. But he is open to secondhand.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, can I play?

I’m not a fan of the pre-loved he is considering, primarily because it’s an I1 and there’s some notation of a drilled imperfection?

Haven’t searched for other pre-loved options yet, but since the center stone on his is essentially 1ct, I went that route and found the below to start. Any of them should allow for a plain solitaire setting.

Radiants

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/0.96-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-7750886

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.00-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-8526849 - this radiant is :kiss2:

https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/17764452/1-01-carat-radiant-diamond-h-color-vs2-clarity - nicely sized face-up

Cushions

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.91-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-8552702 - appears to be a H&A cushion on a tilt

https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/12505677/1-03-carat-cushion-diamond-h-color-si1-clarity - possible criss cut cushion?

It would be helpful to understand her color, size, etc. preferences to better hone in on the right searches, especially on pre-loved opportunities.

Thanks again for your suggestions- I agree more info would be helpful but I don’t have anymore than I gave.

carlee said the dream ring was 16k so I would say we go for bang for buck and do eye clean and as darn close to 6mm as we can.... but that is just me guessing!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes I think this is a good pick if she doesn’t want exactly that Tiffany ring.
james Allen has platinum solitaires in the 700-800 mark and usually has a “sign up for our newsletter and get 100 off” discount so at this point could probably get out the door with a simpleplatinum soli for under 4100

usually I’m like yes guuuurl go used- however what their looking for is something that isn’t great used on at least the eBay side Of things. eBay is flooded with either shiiiiiiiitttttyyyyyyyyyzales radiants or people overvaluing their gia princess cuts. Really they seem to range between 3-4 k for over a ct for anything even worth looking at.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the caveat that if she actually WANTS TIFFIANY then by all means get that Tiffany.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then I would ask very nicely if they could do either of these for that stone. I see no reason they couldn’t and they’re really the only ones similar enough.
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-basket-knife-edge-engagement-ring-item-41132 (plat)

this one if she’s ok with it being a hidden two tone

m1918

Shiny_Rock

I tried on the True in real life recently and I think this stone would really fit the bill!

7857AC6F-6C12-45B1-9210-4BF31963F0E2.jpeg

This is 1 carat on a size 5.5. I actually thought it was a great size on my hand even though I’d read about square cuts facing up smaller.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond is pretty but probably too small, well in budget,

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried on the True in real life recently and I think this stone would really fit the bill!

7857AC6F-6C12-45B1-9210-4BF31963F0E2.jpeg

This is 1 carat on a size 5.5. I actually thought it was a great size on my hand even though I’d read about square cuts facing up smaller.

Beautiful ring, but $17600, tho.........:o

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
I think that square radiant could be spot on. Do you know if she’s tried different rings on to see what size diamond she’s happy with? The fact it faces up so small could be the one problem.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results