shape
carat
color
clarity

Left at the altar by Tiffany & Co.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And if that doesn't work, contact the state attorney general or consumer protection agency. Provide them a summary of what happened, reference their "she said no policy" with dated copies of your emails. Worth a try.

But she said yes and they got married.

Deet007

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Deet007

Rough_Rock
But she said yes and they got married.

This is true, but the fine people at tiffany credit informed me that my situation would come under "broken engagement"

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
This is true, but the fine people at tiffany credit informed me that my situation would come under "broken engagement"

In your own words, you said they told you that you *should* ask *if* they would honor it, not that they concretely told you it was covered. I am absolutely sympathetic to your situation, but I feel surprised at how many people are saying to dispute the charges, go up the ladder, even contact the Attorney General? There was no broken engagement. The couple married, the ring was worn for two months, THEN things went south.

I dunno. I'll stand up for Tiffany here. It'd be *nice* if they worked with you, but it's not like they're breaking any promises or policies.

Deet007

Rough_Rock
In your own words, you said they told you that you *should* ask *if* they would honor it, not that they concretely told you it was covered. I am absolutely sympathetic to your situation, but I feel surprised at how many people are saying to dispute the charges, go up the ladder, even contact the Attorney General? There was no broken engagement. The couple married, the ring was worn for two months, THEN things went south, and I'm assuming the ring was worn during the engagement phase as well?

I dunno. I'll stand up for Tiffany here. It'd be *nice* if they worked with you, but it's not like they're breaking and promises or policies.

Quite correct, I amend my last comment to say "...COULD come under "broken engagement""

What I'm upset about is that when I contacted them repeatedly in January, well within the since stated 6 months term of the "B.E." policy, I was not made aware of such a policy or option. And when I was made aware of it, they see this provable fact as irrelevant. The fact there was a marriage, to my understanding (granted I can't find any written rules of this B.E. policy anywhere) is irrelevant. If the marriage had fallen apart now 1 yr later I would not be upset with Tiffany & Co. were they to give me the same response. It is the fact I asked them well within their given time frame and they said 'no options for you here' and much later told me there was a policy that could have helped me. That is what upsets me, and where I feel they should make it right.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel for you, I really do but without written evidence of a return policy I think it will be difficult to get Tiffany to take the ring back. Most (all?) other jewellery does not come with a 6 month return period, especially if it has been worn.

This raises interesting questions (in general) about who owns engagement rings. You spent the money and gave the ring and presumably felt that was a worthwhile investment at the time. I know nothing, obviously, about how you are dividing up what you own but perhaps your ex should take some of the financial hit? If neither of you want to keep the diamond your best bet will be to sell it, accepting that it may be for a lot less than you paid. I had a quick look for similar spec stones and the only place I could see a few was on Blue Nile where they are around the $6500 mark.

Good luck, I hope you get a good resolution and can move on.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I certainly don't think going to the VP of Tiffany will be a slam dunk. But, its a potential shot that costs little to try. Otherwise, I think selling privatly will be the best shot to retain some value. I would probably offer the ring to family and friend first at a better value as it will save you a lot of hassle.

In terms of the ex-wife being liable for some of the ring cost, "that dog don't hunt" in most US cases. In fact, most US courts either seen an engagement ring as an exchange for a promise to marry (which she fulfilled) or a conditional gift (the condition being getting married, which she did) and many don't even consider the ring subject to the division of marital assets. It was a pre-marital asset. But, in any individual case, who knows. So, the fact that the OP has the ring to sell is actually quite lucky (and hopefully documented in the divorce paperwork).

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second @rockysalamander and was actually thinking about that the other day. You are lucky to have the ring at this point. In the majority of cases, if you marry, the ring becomes a property of the wife/spouse to whom it was given. Honestly, I would either hold onto the ring for a future engagement or list it on one of the websites I shared with you in the beginning, or have it co-signed with LAD, JbG. There are many people who love the Tiffany name and look for pre-loved options. I see more inquiries for princess cuts as of late, so you should be able to find a buyer in the near future. I would not waste your time writing to Tiffanys VPs. You bough a ring, you for married, you are lucky to be in a possession of the ring

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As rockyslamander said, in many states the ring belongs legally to her if you were married. It would go back to the giver in the case of broken engagement, but it belongs to the recipient if the marriage goes through. My state considers it a marital asset, though, (I don't agree with this) so the value would be dertermined and would go into the pool of assets to be split. So it may be premature to be thinking about the disposal of the ring, because half or all of it belongs to her. She needs a better attorney if she hasn't realized that!

I agree that the Tiffany route is probably a dead end since it wasn't a broken engagement. You guys must have gotten married a month after you got engaged if she only wore it for 3 months?

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
In your own words, you said they told you that you *should* ask *if* they would honor it, not that they concretely told you it was covered. I am absolutely sympathetic to your situation, but I feel surprised at how many people are saying to dispute the charges, go up the ladder, even contact the Attorney General? There was no broken engagement. The couple married, the ring was worn for two months, THEN things went south.

I dunno. I'll stand up for Tiffany here. It'd be *nice* if they worked with you, but it's not like they're breaking any promises or policies.

I agree.

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Quite correct, I amend my last comment to say "...COULD come under "broken engagement""

What I'm upset about is that when I contacted them repeatedly in January, well within the since stated 6 months term of the "B.E." policy, I was not made aware of such a policy or option. And when I was made aware of it, they see this provable fact as irrelevant. The fact there was a marriage, to my understanding (granted I can't find any written rules of this B.E. policy anywhere) is irrelevant. If the marriage had fallen apart now 1 yr later I would not be upset with Tiffany & Co. were they to give me the same response. It is the fact I asked them well within their given time frame and they said 'no options for you here' and much later told me there was a policy that could have helped me. That is what upsets me, and where I feel they should make it right.

But there is no guarantee they would have given you a refund even within that time frame. I'm sorry your marriage did not work out but I disagree that there is anything Tiffany "should make right".

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, sorry about your broken engagement. The problem with reselling engagement rings is two fold - 1. Most people want the thrill of a “brand new” ring and are often quite anti a “ring from a broken engagement” 2. When you buy your ring you are paying taxes and store mark up and with a Tiffany ring extra again for the Tiffany name. In the second hand market you get value for the actual diamond plus gold or platinum weight plus extra value for a good / nice setting plus in your case the Tiffany “name”. However sadly there is no way you will recoup your original outlay. At best I would suggest 60 to 70%. Tiffany, like any store, legally only has to refund or exchange if there is a problem with the ring ie the specs don’t match or the ring fell apart. Change of mind or circumstance aren’t llegally valid reason to expect a refund so any upgrade arrangement or return unworn within x weeks is really an extra as a “goodwill measure”. eBay has fees to sell and an auction house even greater fees so Loupe Troop or similiar market places might be best. I hope you can sell your ring for a fair price and put this all behind you. One alternative might be to get Tiffany to reset the diamond into a pendant. These are easier to sell. Separately sell your Tiffany ring mount.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed, the mount would be worth the sale. Not many people want an intact divorce ring.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Part of the resale value of a Tiffany ring is that it is intact with paperwork. I wouldn't unset the stone. Selling it on eBay or whatever could also be due to an upgrade or even in the event of a divorce, some folks don't care. They just want the value of buying a legit ring on the resale market. You will lose money - that is a given in selling diamond jewelry. It is a shame - a diamond with no damage is no different than buying it new but it still sells at a discounted price. I am so sorry that things didn't work out for you. Hope you can get at least 70% of your money back. It will just have to be someone that treasures the Tiffany name as their markup is so high to begin with.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plus the carat weight of the stone is usually stamped inside the shank so resetting another stone in it without the exact same carat weight would be rather pointless.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what it's worth, I'm not superstitious, and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest to have something pre-owned. A lovely ring is a lovely ring.

People don't seem to mind buying 'vintage' jewellery, same thing in my mind, you don't know the history behind it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Give eBay a try. Can’t be any worse right? There are plenty of practical people out there in this tough economy. And you won’t get your original purchase price but 60-70 percent would be great. Right now you are at zero. Just chalk it up to a cost. Hopefully you will find a buyer and you can move on. Good luck!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The entire situation is ludicrous, especially with this brand. Contact the local BBB, put in a complaint with names and numbers and the email documentation you have with the individual and let their Corporate [whoever handles bbb complaints] deal with this. You should have been refunded in full, no questions asked. It's not like they won't resell and make their money back.

Good luck!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you actually got married, I agree with those above, in most states the ring would be considered hers. In all cases I know of, the woman kept the ring, even if she initiated the divorce. Sometimes the wife sold the ring, sometimes had the stone reset, sometimes hold onto it for a child or relative. Are you sure you are within rights to sell the ring?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/natalie-gregg/divorce-engagement-ring_b_3964186.html

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The entire situation is ludicrous, especially with this brand. Contact the local BBB, put in a complaint with names and numbers and the email documentation you have with the individual and let their Corporate [whoever handles bbb complaints] deal with this. You should have been refunded in full, no questions asked. It's not like they won't resell and make their money back.

Good luck!

I have to disagree, the item was used for several months. The couple was married. I hope the OP can recoup as much as possible but the most I would expect from Tiffany would be an exchange. The OP could also use the ring towards an upgrade in the future although I understand wanting to not hold on to it.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First, I am sorry to hear that your relationship didn't work out. Even if it is for the best or what you wanted, it can be a very difficult time and a long process to feel "whole" again after your life is turned upside down.

Second, while I agree that a higher level of customer service is expected, the manager should have been more respectful and polite, I agree with them that a refund is not appropriate. It is not a "she said no" situation, where a new ring sat in a box awaiting a proposal acceptance. The ring was worn for several months and is no longer a new ring. (The setting will have signs of wear and the stone could be chipped/scratched) I can't think of any store BM or online that would take back a used ring after months have passed because the relationship failed. You have tried to go over the managers head and have been told that there is no other recourse, it is probably for the best to move on from this situation and start to focus on your new single life and all that you have ahead of you

At this point I think that you have 2 options:
1. Sell the ring and hopefully recoup some of your loss, or
2. Keep it and use in the future, Tiffany does have an upgrade program. If and when you find love again you could trade up to a new ring.

You have tried to go over the managers head and have been told that there is no other recourse, it is probably for the best to move on from this situation and start to focus on your new single life and all that you have ahead of you .

Best of luck!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

Good luck!

"I bought this car a few months ago, have been driving it around every day, but something's come up and I don't need it anymore. I want you to take it back, no questions asked, and give me a FULL refund."

"Ugh, no."

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
In the OP's words "What I'm upset about is that when I contacted them repeatedly in January, well within the since stated 6 months term of the "B.E." policy, I was not made aware of such a policy or option.".

Everyone is entitled to an opinion-but it doesn't make it wrong or right. There is not one person here that if they purchased a Tiffany product and KNEW about that sales guideline, if something happened within that 6 month period, you bet you'd bring it back for a full refund. Let's be realistic.

edited: Nordstroms has this rule. Whatever, whenever-they will return an item for a full refund regardless of how long it's been owned.

"I bought this car a few months ago, have been driving it around every day, but something's come up and I don't need it anymore. I want you to take it back, no questions asked, and give me a FULL refund."

"Ugh, no."
I have to disagree, the item was used for several months. The couple was married. I hope the OP can recoup as much as possible but the most I would expect from Tiffany would be an exchange. The OP could also use the ring towards an upgrade in the future although I understand wanting to not hold on to it.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the OP's words "What I'm upset about is that when I contacted them repeatedly in January, well within the since stated 6 months term of the "B.E." policy, I was not made aware of such a policy or option.".

Everyone is entitled to an opinion-but it doesn't make it wrong or right. There is not one person here that if they purchased a Tiffany product and KNEW about that sales guideline, if something happened within that 6 month period, you bet you'd bring it back for a full refund. Let's be realistic.

edited: Nordstroms has this rule. Whatever, whenever-they will return an item for a full refund regardless of how long it's been owned.

...but the ring wasn't from Nordstrom; it was from Tiffany. So, the OP has to go by Tiff's rules. I haven't read anything about the Broken Engagement policy, but it sounds like it's not really an iron-clad "policy" or rule, but something that is essentially left to the discretion of the individual store managers.

I really feel awful for the OP -- a broken marriage is bad enough to deal with... but it's really not T&Co.'s obligation to take the ring back, regardless if it were in the 6 month "BE" clause. However, no one is saying he doesn't have the right to be upset or have an opinion...

Even if 100 people were in a situation that fell within the time period for "BE" (or actually had a broken engagement or "she said no" case where the ring wasn't even worn), that doesn't mean ANY of those store managers have to agree to take the rings back... it is up to each manager individually to decide if they will honor this "BE" policy. Sad, but true.

Best of luck to you, OP...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"Ugh, no."

"My wife wore this ring for three months. We got divorced. I'd like all my money back for this worn, used ring."

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2487.PNG IMG_2488.PNG

Well, I could be wrong. These are posts from 2008 here

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree that it's unrealistic to expect a store to accept a return for a piece of jewelry that was worn for two months, simply because someone's marriage didn't work out. Per their published return policy, they will accept returns within 30 days, so long as the item is in saleable condition and accompanied by a receipt. That seems pretty reasonable.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
"My wife wore this ring for three months. We got divorced. I'd like all my money back for this worn, used ring."
Two points - this was an engagement ring so it can be assumed it was worn for considerably longer than the three month marriage. Secondly, I agree with pp’s in not seeing how this ring doesn’t belong to the person it was gifted to.

Team Tiffany.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results