shape
carat
color
clarity

Lavender/peach/multicolour freshwater pearls?

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Turns out I have more pinkish pearls than I thought. Here are some pics of a necklace strand that I just got from an auction. a baroque drop pendant, and a pair of ripple pearl pendants/earring drops. Both the necklace and the pendant are non-nucleated freshwater, and the ripple pearls (or wrinkly Edison type pearls) are nucleated freshwater.

The necklace was put up as "pink" by the auction house, most likely because that was the predominant colour they saw. I believe it would have gone under "lavender" on Pearl Paradise's website however, as it definitely leans cool. It didn't come with paperwork so I've no idea where it came from, although I wouldn't be too surprised if it was a Pearl Paradise creation - I think the same gold ball clasp was used by them quite a lot some years ago?

This strand is quite a chameleon, looking the pinkest in daylight and changing to an understated warm mauve under yellow fluorescent light. Personally I'm very happy with the colour, as I was looking for a strand that was as true pastel "pink" as possible, not peachy (peach doesn't look great on me) or purple. There is colour variation through out the strand and a few pearls stand out a good bit bluer, and I actually quite like that. The lustre is excellent, my poor phone photos don't capture that but I can see my see my features in the reflections in real life.

And then the baroque pendant was sold as purple/lavender but it's definitely more of a pastel cool pink. I'm planning on resetting it in yellow gold to bring out the pink more.

The pair of chunky ripple pearls were the ones I had forgotten about. I think they are quite typical for nucleated large freshwater pearls - pastel apricot/salmon pink. The skins aren't perfect but they are nice play pearls.

22ct yellow gold band in pics for colour reference. And our winter daylight is very much on the cool side.

20220219_143748 - Copy_-500.jpg

20220219_143939 - Copy_-500.jpg

20220219_143250 - Copy_-1000.jpg

20220219_144054 - Copy_-500.jpg

20220219_144224 - Copy_-500.jpg

20220219_144244 - Copy_-800.jpg

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Oh and I'm just realising now I'm probably being confusing talking about "pink" while you were asking about lavender/peach...I get carried away as soon as any hint of pink enters my mind! :eek-2: Personally I find the whole freshwater peach - pink - lavender continuum quite a fascinating maze. Current trade seems to have peach and lavender established as colour categories, however many pearls seem to fall somewhere in between (plus "lavender is somewhat hard to define...), so it's doubly important to get photos of the actual pearls that you're buying online. Also, purple tends to be a buzz word and commands a higher price than other freshwater colours (which is likely why my baroque pearl above was labeled as such while it would have disappointed someone looking for an intense purple).

So pretty!
Good point about asking to see pictures of the actual items.

Most people are mentioning PP as a vendor - they are who I've checked out myself, but are there any others I should be looking at specifically for naturally-coloured freshwaters?

I tend to get things secondhand from auctions and eBay (no easy buying from PP for me as I'm in Europe). But I think WenPearls on Etsy has been recommended here for freshwater?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely a continuum of color, and some pearls also have lovely overtone colors.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Current trade seems to have peach and lavender established as colour categories, however many pearls seem to fall somewhere in between (plus "lavender is somewhat hard to define...),

Hmm, this is very good info!
I am definitely looking for lavender as in 'purple' as I do not do pink at all!
The pics I've seen on this thread do mostly look more purple than pink to me though, especially when the pearl is sat next to a peach one.
I think real life photos will be key.

I am not in the US either - is it tricky to buy from PP internationally? Or is it that the returns process is expensive?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freshwater pearls are the most common pearls, and the most affordable. Why not try to source from a seller in your own country?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Turns out I have more pinkish pearls than I thought. Here are some pics of a necklace strand that I just got from an auction. a baroque drop pendant, and a pair of ripple pearl pendants/earring drops. Both the necklace and the pendant are non-nucleated freshwater, and the ripple pearls (or wrinkly Edison type pearls) are nucleated freshwater.

The necklace was put up as "pink" by the auction house, most likely because that was the predominant colour they saw. I believe it would have gone under "lavender" on Pearl Paradise's website however, as it definitely leans cool. It didn't come with paperwork so I've no idea where it came from, although I wouldn't be too surprised if it was a Pearl Paradise creation - I think the same gold ball clasp was used by them quite a lot some years ago?

This strand is quite a chameleon, looking the pinkest in daylight and changing to an understated warm mauve under yellow fluorescent light. Personally I'm very happy with the colour, as I was looking for a strand that was as true pastel "pink" as possible, not peachy (peach doesn't look great on me) or purple. There is colour variation through out the strand and a few pearls stand out a good bit bluer, and I actually quite like that. The lustre is excellent, my poor phone photos don't capture that but I can see my see my features in the reflections in real life.

And then the baroque pendant was sold as purple/lavender but it's definitely more of a pastel cool pink. I'm planning on resetting it in yellow gold to bring out the pink more.

The pair of chunky ripple pearls were the ones I had forgotten about. I think they are quite typical for nucleated large freshwater pearls - pastel apricot/salmon pink. The skins aren't perfect but they are nice play pearls.

22ct yellow gold band in pics for colour reference. And our winter daylight is very much on the cool side.

20220219_143748 - Copy_-500.jpg

20220219_143939 - Copy_-500.jpg

20220219_143250 - Copy_-1000.jpg

20220219_144054 - Copy_-500.jpg

20220219_144224 - Copy_-500.jpg

20220219_144244 - Copy_-800.jpg

Much nicer cell phone pictures than mine
lovelly luster

Brigid

Shiny_Rock
Freshwater pearls are the most common pearls, and the most affordable. Why not try to source from a seller in your own country?
Absolutely! Think about the colour, lustre, shape & how much you want to spend and then do lots of research. This is what I do and I have been lucky with my pearl purchases over the years.
There are some great pearl vendors out there!
I found a photo of my multicoloured freshwaters which shows the colours of the pearls perfectly. 0CCBD959-4855-4EBF-9764-8303803CA24B.jpeg

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes. All black freshwaters and all black akoya. Harder to find well processed black freshwaters in Hong Kong after the main dyeing company closed down a few years ago.

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
So pretty!
Good point about asking to see pictures of the actual items.

Most people are mentioning PP as a vendor - they are who I've checked out myself, but are there any others I should be looking at specifically for naturally-coloured freshwaters?

You could check out Pearls of Joy (POJ) or The Pearl Source (TPS) as well. I bought a necklace from POJ for my mom and it was lovely. I haven’t purchased from TPS but I recall a thread where someone purchased pink pearls from TPS last year and I thought they looked really pretty.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results