shape
carat
color
clarity

Las Vegas shooting

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But is there an underlying fixable reason we are on all of these drugs in the first place?
It's easy for doctors to issue a script for pills to control symptoms rather than treat the cause and big pharma is greedy so the more pills they make to cover symptoms the more doctors will prescribe. The answer is too often "follow the money".

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's easy for doctors to issue a script for pills to control symptoms rather than treat the cause and big pharma is greedy so the more pills they make to cover symptoms the more doctors will prescribe. The answer is too often "follow the money".

Speaking of food supply, I am loving the Isagenix system by the way!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I mentioned before, drugs, especially Meth is a large problem (and flakka and synthetic marajuana), as is our failed war against drugs.

I think we need to leagalize drugs and TREAT addiction and the probable underlying mental health issues. As I get older, I am also more interested in Universal Healthcare to deal with all of this too. Maybe not single payer, but healthcare for all, yes.

And I swear I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I really wonder if there is a connection with food supply and crazy behavior here. Maybe it was from when we went to low fat/no fat diets and deprived brains of needed fat? Americans are on so many antidepressants, sleeping pills, ADHD drugs etc.

I think people are clearly acting "crazier" for whatever reason. And hey, I'm on AD, sleeping pills been diagnosed with ADD too, so I'm not disparaging anyone....

It's the people who are undiagnosed and unmedicated I worry about, though I can't ignore the growing need for Americans to be medicated lately.... if we need it, sure, treat it. But is there an underlying fixable reason we are on all of these drugs in the first place?

If my life was as grinding and dismal as the lives of many Americans, I'd probably want something to dull the pain too. The classic self-medication is of course, alcohol. It has a long and well-documented history.

You don't want me to get going on antidepressants. Or psychiatry in general. I believe that most psychiatric diagnoses (a large proportion of which are made by GPs with a DSM in hand, not an actual shrink) and treatments end up masking the social problems that are causing most of the problems to begin with. So yes, there are underlying causes of why we're all doped up all the time, but we would rather disconnect those causes from people and act like depression, drug abuse, etc, just happens, no context required. That way we can throw a pill at it and feel like we're doing something as a society. Except we're not. And if you've not considered psychiatric diagnoses as more of an officially sanctioned means of social control, than actual medical diagnoses, then you should give it a good ponder. It's not a conspiracy, but it is a mindset. It would be easier to fix it it was a conspiracy, honestly.

As for so many being medicated (and I'm assuming that you are talking about psychiatric meds mostly) that is an unholy combination of pharma flogging their pill fixes to the general public, doctors who are too busy to check the drug companies' claims and so prescribe what the patients walk in almost demanding. They are in such psychic pain because IMO, there is a big gaping hole at the center of many of us in this culture, even for the well-off. The real problem is thinking that hole can be filled or papered over by a pill. Or a drink. Or a doobie. Or meth.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If my life was as grinding and dismal as the lives of many Americans, I'd probably want something to dull the pain too. The classic self-medication is of course, alcohol. It has a long and well-documented history.

You don't want me to get going on antidepressants. Or psychiatry in general. I believe that most psychiatric diagnoses (a large proportion of which are made by GPs with a DSM in hand, not an actual shrink) and treatments end up masking the social problems that are causing most of the problems to begin with. So yes, there are underlying causes of why we're all doped up all the time, but we would rather disconnect those causes from people and act like depression, drug abuse, etc, just happens, no context required. That way we can throw a pill at it and feel like we're doing something as a society. Except we're not. And if you've not considered psychiatric diagnoses as more of an officially sanctioned means of social control, than actual medical diagnoses, then you should give it a good ponder. It's not a conspiracy, but it is a mindset. It would be easier to fix it it was a conspiracy, honestly.

As for so many being medicated (and I'm assuming that you are talking about psychiatric meds mostly) that is an unholy combination of pharma flogging their pill fixes to the general public, doctors who are too busy to check the drug companies' claims and so prescribe what the patients walk in almost demanding. They are in such psychic pain because IMO, there is a big gaping hole at the center of many of us in this culture, even for the well-off. The real problem is thinking that hole can be filled or papered over by a pill. Or a drink. Or a doobie. Or meth.

I'm learning more and more that wealth can mean very little in the spectrum of contentment.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What do you do when the cause is unknown? Being on the living-it end of having something with an unknown cause, I can tell ya, a bit of symptom relief in the meantime, is appreciated.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ksinger yes. I have experienced the distinction between a GP prescribing ads and a shrink, who is much better at getting straight to the issue.

@Elliot86 I use the phrase. "Money can't buy happiness but it can buy happier..."

Americans work too much, don't take enough vacation, broken families, etc... we could stand to be a little like Europe in some of these ways...

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you do when the cause is unknown? Being on the living-it end of having something with an unknown cause, I can tell ya, a bit of symptom relief in the meantime, is appreciated.
Well then you take the pill. But this isn't the circumstance I was thinking about. Remember our opioid epidemic? That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. I've been told literally hundreds of stories by people who go to their doctor who spends 5-10 minutes with them, doesn't touch them, asks a couple questions and prescribes pain pills or antidepressants. Medical clinics are production environments -- the more people you see, the more tests you run, the more surgeries you do -- regardless of the necessity -- the more money you make. My DH is inundated with candidates for 2 nurse practitioner positions in his office and all of them are desperate to leave their production-oriented environments and hoping for a job in slower more care-giving environment. My DH can see double the number of patients he chooses to see each day but he'd rather be a good doctor rather than a rich one at the expense of giving good care.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well then you take the pill. But this isn't the circumstance I was thinking about. Remember our opioid epidemic? That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. I've been told literally hundreds of stories by people who go to their doctor who spends 5-10 minutes with them, doesn't touch them, asks a couple questions and prescribes pain pills or antidepressants. Medical clinics are production environments -- the more people you see, the more tests you run, the more surgeries you do -- regardless of the necessity -- the more money you make. My DH is inundated with candidates for 2 nurse practitioner positions in his office and all of them are desperate to leave their production-oriented environments and hoping for a job in slower more care-giving environment. My DH can see double the number of patients he chooses to see each day but he'd rather be a good doctor rather than a rich one at the expense of giving good care.

The flip side of that is that when patients actually do need even short term opioids for acute pain, they typically cannot get them and are uniformly treated like drug addicts if they dare to ask. (I have a couple of personal stories in that category.) So basically, every patient is a drug-seeking drug addict all the time and is lying about their pain level. Even if they've been your patient for years. (Yeah, next time I have a hangnail or a boil, it''ll be time for a new GP)

My biggest medical fear right now, is sudden seriously acute pain that a doctor will treat with an aspirin and a leather strap for you to bite on. Which may sound like hyperbole, but it's not that far off.

Seeing that we never can seem to hit any kind of happy medium in this country, because some docs give way too much for too long, now erring in the direction of under-treatment of acute pain also a growing "thing". Very frustrating.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The flip side of that is that when patients actually do need even short term opioids for acute pain, they typically cannot get them and are uniformly treated like drug addicts if they dare to ask. (I have a couple of personal stories in that category.) So basically, every patient is a drug-seeking drug addict all the time and is lying about their pain level. Even if they've been your patient for years. (Yeah, next time I have a hangnail or a boil, it''ll be time for a new GP)

My biggest medical fear right now, is sudden seriously acute pain that a doctor will treat with an aspirin and a leather strap for you to bite on. Which may sound like hyperbole, but it's not that far off.

Seeing that we never can seem to hit any kind of happy medium in this country, because some docs give way too much for too long, now erring in the direction of under-treatment of acute pain also a growing "thing". Very frustrating.

When did these extremes happen? When it happened in politics? You are right in that we have this big picture to look at:

In the USA we can't find a happy medium.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is my best friend's story, ksinger. The one with the eight dogs and three cats who lives in Maine. She has lupus and has had it for years. She is in and out of a wheelchair. In the past five years she had two major surgeries on her spine; had two hips replaced; and had a knee replaced. She is just trying to keep walking as much as as possible, but the surgeries have been terribly painful because she has fibromyalgia and she doesn't respond to most medications the way other people do so there are a lot of meds she cannot take. Whenever she meets a new doctor the doctor tries to take her off her pain old pain meds. She had to change pain doctors through no fault of her own several times in the past five years, too. She really shouldn't be screaming in pain as she is after her surgeries.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When did these extremes happen? When it happened in politics? You are right in that we have this big picture to look at:

In the USA we can't find a happy medium.

Oh, and just to clarify, I did not mean I asked for pain meds for a hangnail or a boil. That would be seriously off. (More like what I still suspect was occipital neuralgia, whatever it was it hurt like hell) I can't actually shop for and interview a GP as a good fit as I would like to. You have to wait until somethin's busted, so to speak, hence the hangnail. I have a recommendation or 2 for a new GP, but (yay actually) I have nothing wrong at present.

I think my current GP just needs to retire. I think he's burned out. I've been a patient since at least 2009, and he's gotten more callous over the last couple or three years. My husband, who also sees him, has noticed it too.

Back to the real topic though. Who knows when the extremes started infecting every walk of life and every profession. Medicine (big picture) seems a lot less rational than it used to be, and that it still claims to be. Just my observation.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and just to clarify, I did not mean I asked for pain meds for a hangnail or a boil. That would be seriously off. (More like what I still suspect was occipital neuralgia, whatever it was it hurt like hell) I can't actually shop for and interview a GP as a good fit as I would like to. You have to wait until somethin's busted, so to speak, hence the hangnail. I have a recommendation or 2 for a new GP, but (yay actually) I have nothing wrong at present.

I think my current GP just needs to retire. I think he's burned out. I've been a patient since at least 2009, and he's gotten more callous over the last couple or three years. My husband, who also sees him, has noticed it too.

Back to the real topic though. Who knows when the extremes started infecting every walk of life and every profession. Medicine (big picture) seems a lot less rational than it used to be, and that it still claims to be. Just my observation.

Here is an extreme...

My husband's 78 year old mother has some back pain. They immediately put her on Vicodin. Two years later, she is gaunt and pale and forgetting everything...and right above her kitchen sink is a bottle of 180 Vicodin.

Because...who gives a shit? She's almost 80.

This is in one of the most opiate ridden counties in California.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Canada, we can basically only have opioids when terminally ill or for a very short duration while in hospital. Doesn't stop the illegal trade, that's a major problem. I have several autoimmune disorders including ankylosing spondylitis, and I get zero pain treatment. I get treatment for relief of permanent damage, biologics and methotrexate, but for pain, I'm on my own. Not even a tylenol 3. Strictly over the counter non prescription NSAIDs or tylenol. Plus we're getting tougher rules because of the crisis with addicts and overdoses.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
In Canada, we can basically only have opioids when terminally ill or for a very short duration while in hospital. Doesn't stop the illegal trade, that's a major problem. I have several autoimmune disorders including ankylosing spondylitis, and I get zero pain treatment. I get treatment for relief of permanent damage, biologics and methotrexate, but for pain, I'm on my own. Not even a tylenol 3. Strictly over the counter non prescription NSAIDs or tylenol. Plus we're getting tougher rules because of the crisis with addicts and overdoses.

Have you tried Celebrex? I consider it a miracle drug -- it completely relieves my pain when Aleve has no effect.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A year ago when SO broke his back it was NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to get his 100% legit and appropriate Rx for morphine filled in Los Angeles County.
It was uuuuuuuuuuunbelievable how difficult is was!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried Celebrex? I consider it a miracle drug -- it completely relieves my pain when Aleve has no effect.
I have tried every prescription and non-prescription NSAID. I believe that I was allergic to Celebrex though, as I'm Sulfa intolerant. Most of the drugs in this category kill my stomach. I have to do regular liver and kidney function tests as well.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I mentioned before, drugs, especially Meth is a large problem (and flakka and synthetic marajuana), as is our failed war against drugs.

I think we need to leagalize drugs and TREAT addiction and the probable underlying mental health issues. As I get older, I am also more interested in Universal Healthcare to deal with all of this too. Maybe not single payer, but healthcare for all, yes.

And I swear I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I really wonder if there is a connection with food supply and crazy behavior here. Maybe it was from when we went to low fat/no fat diets and deprived brains of needed fat? Americans are on so many antidepressants, sleeping pills, ADHD drugs etc.

I think people are clearly acting "crazier" for whatever reason. And hey, I'm on AD, sleeping pills been diagnosed with ADD too, so I'm not disparaging anyone....

It's the people who are undiagnosed and unmedicated I worry about, though I can't ignore the growing need for Americans to be medicated lately.... if we need it, sure, treat it. But is there an underlying fixable reason we are on all of these drugs in the first place?

We do need to legalize drugs. Never a user myself, i I voted for MJ legalization after I read several books about Prohibition.

However, once it was legalized, it was soon realized that between people advocating for use of marijuana for kids with seizures, and those advocating it to be used for treatment of everything, the simple truth, that we do not know its effects on the human brain, was lost. Articles published today are all over the place, from "marijuana causes psychoses" to "marijuana treats insomnia and psychosis".

I, too, believe that legalizing drugs will just decriminalize a problem, but after it is done, it will take us years to understand why people choose this or that drug. We know it is untreated mental illness, but what exactly people are targeting in their self-medicating is still unclear.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We do need to legalize drugs. Never a user myself, i I voted for MJ legalization after I read several books about Prohibition.

However, once it was legalized, it was soon realized that between people advocating for use of marijuana for kids with seizures, and those advocating it to be used for treatment of everything, the simple truth, that we do not know its effects on the human brain, was lost. Articles published today are all over the place, from "marijuana causes psychoses" to "marijuana treats insomnia and psychosis".

I, too, believe that legalizing drugs will just decriminalize a problem, but after it is done, it will take us years to understand why people choose this or that drug. We know it is untreated mental illness, but what exactly people are targeting in their self-medicating is still unclear.
[QUOTE

Not wanting to argue, really, but no. Quite simply, we do not know that. There are entire worlds of cultural assumptions under the concept of mental illness, which changes as the culture changes. There is also the fact that people have been altering their consciousness for millennia, for many reasons - fun, pain relief, as part of their religion. It clearly (to me anyway) falls into the category of "normal" human behavior. I could argue that me having 2 drinks in quick succession at the end of a rough week, is "self-medicating" (stress reduction/pain deadening). Does that make me mentally ill? If not, at what point would drinking become a sign of mental illness? You see the problem I'm sure.

Back down from philosophical airy-fairy land, I will say that I just got back from a trip to Denver. Wow. I have been going there since I was a kid - lots of family there. And wow, has it changed, just since I was there last (pre-pot). In the downtown area we saw one 2-block stretch that had homeless 3 to 4 deep on the sidewalk - all the way down the street. :eek2: Not so large, but other pockets like that were pretty much everywhere we went. It was certainly an expression of something...cultural. The new Mecca for a group of Americans? I'm just not able to slap an easy label on it.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my best friend's story, ksinger. The one with the eight dogs and three cats who lives in Maine. She has lupus and has had it for years. She is in and out of a wheelchair. In the past five years she had two major surgeries on her spine; had two hips replaced; and had a knee replaced. She is just trying to keep walking as much as as possible, but the surgeries have been terribly painful because she has fibromyalgia and she doesn't respond to most medications the way other people do so there are a lot of meds she cannot take. Whenever she meets a new doctor the doctor tries to take her off her pain old pain meds. She had to change pain doctors through no fault of her own several times in the past five years, too. She really shouldn't be screaming in pain as she is after her surgeries.

I so get this, and it truly is scary. And this is what I'm talking about.

Back when I was reading about this issue, I came across this, which is from a certain perspective of course (what isn't?) that I found helpful at the time. Bottom line, the under-treatment of pain is not something I made up. Always nice to know you aren't the only one, right?

http://www.socialworktoday.com/archive/091712p16.shtml

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Back when I was reading about this issue, I came across this, which is from a certain perspective of course (what isn't?) that I found helpful at the time. Bottom line, the under-treatment of pain is not something I made up. Always nice to know you aren't the only one, right?

Seeing that journal brought up old memories. There was always one on the coffee table when I was growing up. (My father was a professional social worker, and I think that every NASW-National Association of Social Workers-member got that regularly.) I skimmed the article. It looks good. Thank you for pointing it out. Will read it soon.

Deb :wavey:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[QUOTE

Not wanting to argue, really, but no. Quite simply, we do not know that. There are entire worlds of cultural assumptions under the concept of mental illness, which changes as the culture changes. There is also the fact that people have been altering their consciousness for millennia, for many reasons - fun, pain relief, as part of their religion. It clearly (to me anyway) falls into the category of "normal" human behavior. I could argue that me having 2 drinks in quick succession at the end of a rough week, is "self-medicating" (stress reduction/pain deadening). Does that make me mentally ill? If not, at what point would drinking become a sign of mental illness? You see the problem I'm sure.

Back down from philosophical airy-fairy land, I will say that I just got back from a trip to Denver. Wow. I have been going there since I was a kid - lots of family there. And wow, has it changed, just since I was there last (pre-pot). In the downtown area we saw one 2-block stretch that had homeless 3 to 4 deep on the sidewalk - all the way down the street. :eek2: Not so large, but other pockets like that were pretty much everywhere we went. It was certainly an expression of something...cultural. The new Mecca for a group of Americans? I'm just not able to slap an easy label on it.
Ksinger, not wanting to argue either...I went to Vancouver, B.C., after a hiatus of several years. Same picture as in Denver.
But it is not pot. Pot does not drive people out on the streets. You do not need to be a pot user to know that prices for it, even in expensive stores, do not drive people out on the streets.
Pot does another thing...it might deprive kids of motivation, but it is a totally different issue.
Things that drive people out on the street are mental illness, heroin and also, economy. I know people who are not users, at all, just chose "wrong" professions (historians, for example). Who periodically lived on the streets. I just read about an assistant teacher in a college who supplemented her income with sex work. One has to merely look at the average salaries of assistant teachers to understand why this group can end up on the streets. As to mental illness, so many do not have the means to treat it.
Blame Reagan's decision to close state psychiatric hospitals for our overcrowded jails and homeless population.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It might work well for people like me, genetically I tolerate pain well. After my last abdominal surgery, I tried patient-controlled analgesia immediately after surgery and on day two, tried to switch to double strength Tylenol and early ambulation (btw, I have opposite observation... when you refuse painkillers, the nurses try to push them into you, I even had to call my surgeon and make him rewrite the order in favor of Tylenol because of "it is not time for your Tylenol, it is time for your Vicodin" answer. I have my theory why the push, but I might be wrong). I do think avoiding painkillers after abdominal surgery helps prevent postoperative bowel paresis and promote better healing. But then, I might be on an insensitive end of pain tolerance scale. (I drove a car a week after C-section, for example). There are people who tolerate pain poorly, there are areas like face of hands that have many nervous endings. I suspect low back pain does not need that many painkillers, though.

Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard on a TV show this morning that changes will be made to open aired concerts across the country, due to the Las Vegas shooting. In the last few days I've heard on news shows that changes into hotel baggage check in needs to be looked at.

Of course no one is talking about a national database for registering all guns. Across the country gun laws to prevent guns from being bought in other states and taken across state lines because your state may be stricter than another state. As it stands now you can still purchase as many guns as your heart desires. Magazines are available with insane amounts of bullets. You can also continue to buy them at gun shows where there are many loopholes. And Hey, bumps stocks are selling like hot cakes this past week. Guns are the problem, it's just no wants to address that issue. This country is brain dead.
And why not? There is a database registering what drugs people use. All our cars are in a database. All our assets are known to IRS. Our fingerprints and irises are scanned. Our DNAs are known. Why can't we register all guns? Top secret?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave This is something I think about quite a bit. I grew up in the US and lived there until mid-20s, but until I lived in Europe I'd never realised how violent the US as a whole is. I hate to sound like an old woman because there are a lot of places I'd travel, but the US sends shivers down my spine. My DH avoids the US other than when he has to go and teases that he shouldn't have married American. I can never quite put my finger on which came first though, the violence so the general public arms themselves. Or the general public arming themselves leading to increased violence.
I don't think they are violent, after all, I made it here, totally on my own, and in fact, i find Americans friendly. But it is a huge country, for a while sparsely populated, with many rural areas. It is not Germany, where one city down the Rhein follows another one. (But if you drive to the North, village after village, you encounter a lot of paranoia, too).

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Random thoughts about mental illness in our society in no particular order:

As a person who has been through the mental health system in all of the wrong ways, I definitely think we have it all wrong. I've sat in the ICU of one of our local mental hospitals many times and watched as people shuffled in circles because their bodies hurt from medication side effects if they sat still. They were blank faced because their medication doses were so high. They were zombies. But...the doctors were keeping them alive? Saving them from themselves? Who knows? I didn't know any of these people. They could have been horribly homicidal? Probably not, they would have been tied to a bed, like many.

Me...I'm dumbed down on many meds myself. I'm not even half of "myself." My musical talents are gone, my concentration is shot, intelligence isn't there. But what's the option? You see, it seems that the part of my brain that possesses all of my "gifts" ;)2 is also the part of my brain that tries to kill me.

Or maybe, the brain science is so primitive that they are unable to treat the part of my brain that tries to kill me without dumbing down the rest of "me." Maybe they are unable to treat the part that makes those poor people in the ICU so acute, without making them zombies.

I think a lot of this boils down to stigma. (Please bear with me.) Being a loved one or a friend of someone with mental illness sucks....sometimes. Being a coworker of that "unstable bipolar" individual can make people angry which leads to them talking a lot of shit. What I am trying to say is dealing with mental illness is painful and tough. THEN, you have the untreated individuals who actually do unspeakable harm. This adds to society's desire to stigmatize the mentally ill. When there is great stigma, I think maybe, there is less desire to donate, research, and find new treatments for these illnesses.

Honestly, what I see going on with the meds is they are just combining two old meds into one new pill, getting a new patent and collecting the big bucks. I have seen very few new drugs over the last ten years.

We are in the dark ages with brain science and mental illness.

On a near daily basis, I think..In fifty years, we will see how we had it all wrong.

-Shaman treat people like me very differently. Many other societies have treated me very differently. I wonder how the mentally ill felt about themselves in these societies. I wonder if they suffered as much.

-I don't feel my issues are due to exposure to toxins. There is a long line of mental illness in my family. But I see that point in young children and possibly autism, which is neurological and not MI.

-I think people would benefit so much more from therapy, good therapy. But we have so much going on in our lives and there are a lot of crappy therapists out there. I wish there was just a straight model that worked that people could go through to sort of cleanse out the feeling of depression.

-I do wonder if everyone felt depression just as much in the past but chose to drink instead of seek help.

-Finally, I am very disturbed with what the media is doing with the shooter in Vegas. He was a loner and he had an Rx for Valium. To those of us who take multiple psych meds, Valium is a very mild medication. I hope that for most of society, they can keep their perspective and see that although this guy was most likely very ill...being a loner on Valium wasn't the stigmatizing criteria, shooting 600 people was.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Random thoughts about mental illness in our society in no particular order:

As a person who has been through the mental health system in all of the wrong ways, I definitely think we have it all wrong. I've sat in the ICU of one of our local mental hospitals many times and watched as people shuffled in circles because their bodies hurt from medication side effects if they sat still. They were blank faced because their medication doses were so high. They were zombies. But...the doctors were keeping them alive? Saving them from themselves? Who knows? I didn't know any of these people. They could have been horribly homicidal? Probably not, they would have been tied to a bed, like many.

Me...I'm dumbed down on many meds myself. I'm not even half of "myself." My musical talents are gone, my concentration is shot, intelligence isn't there. But what's the option? You see, it seems that the part of my brain that possesses all of my "gifts" ;)2 is also the part of my brain that tries to kill me.

Or maybe, the brain science is so primitive that they are unable to treat the part of my brain that tries to kill me without dumbing down the rest of "me." Maybe they are unable to treat the part that makes those poor people in the ICU so acute, without making them zombies.

I think a lot of this boils down to stigma. (Please bear with me.) Being a loved one or a friend of someone with mental illness sucks....sometimes. Being a coworker of that "unstable bipolar" individual can make people angry which leads to them talking a lot of shit. What I am trying to say is dealing with mental illness is painful and tough. THEN, you have the untreated individuals who actually do unspeakable harm. This adds to society's desire to stigmatize the mentally ill. When there is great stigma, I think maybe, there is less desire to donate, research, and find new treatments for these illnesses.

Honestly, what I see going on with the meds is they are just combining two old meds into one new pill, getting a new patent and collecting the big bucks. I have seen very few new drugs over the last ten years.

We are in the dark ages with brain science and mental illness.

On a near daily basis, I think..In fifty years, we will see how we had it all wrong.

-Shaman treat people like me very differently. Many other societies have treated me very differently. I wonder how the mentally ill felt about themselves in these societies. I wonder if they suffered as much.

-I don't feel my issues are due to exposure to toxins. There is a long line of mental illness in my family. But I see that point in young children and possibly autism, which is neurological and not MI.

-I think people would benefit so much more from therapy, good therapy. But we have so much going on in our lives and there are a lot of crappy therapists out there. I wish there was just a straight model that worked that people could go through to sort of cleanse out the feeling of depression.

-I do wonder if everyone felt depression just as much in the past but chose to drink instead of seek help.

-Finally, I am very disturbed with what the media is doing with the shooter in Vegas. He was a loner and he had an Rx for Valium. To those of us who take multiple psych meds, Valium is a very mild medication. I hope that for most of society, they can keep their perspective and see that although this guy was most likely very ill...being a loner on Valium wasn't the stigmatizing criteria, shooting 600 people was.

House Cat, we are living in the era of incredible variety of psychiatric medications. Basically, what doctors can not achieve (and what bipolar patients are asking for) would be low-grade hypomania without cycling. But people can be stable, at a cost, however everyone who has physical issues also pays the same heavy cost.

But if you look at how lives were before John Cade (the Australian who'll deserves mentioning) brought lithium into practice, how were patients treated? Electric shock, lobotomy or laudanum (the same opiate tincture). Or alcohol, self-medicating.

I just read "Z", a book about Zelda Fitzgerald. I don't know if I should recommend it...too hard. It is a good book, but Zelda, a talented beauty, suffered from severe bipolar disorder which ruined her life, and even her death. It was not that far away in time.

As to the stigma...I like "Heads together", the initiative started by the British Royal Family. One can Google it, but I enjoy this video.

So nice to know that the young generation of Windsors has gotten something from Diana...altruism.

Last edited:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count on it.

House Cat, you might be interested in this film. I heard about it some time back before it was out, but have just now checked back today. It's out there now. Obviously, I haven't seen it yet. And it's not free of course, but still, it might be something you'd find interesting.

https://crazywisefilm.com/#trailer

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat, we are living in the era of incredible variety of psychiatric medications. Basically, what doctors can not achieve (and what bipolar patients are asking for) would be low-grade hypomania without cycling. But people can be stable, at a cost, however everyone who has physical issues also pays the same heavy cost.

But if you look at how lives were before John Cade (the Australian who'll deserves mentioning) brought lithium into practice, how were patients treated? Electric shock, lobotomy or laudanum (the same opiate tincture). Or alcohol, self-medicating.

I just read "Z", a book about Zelda Fitzgerald. I don't know if I should recommend it...too hard. It is a good book, but Zelda, a talented beauty, suffered from severe bipolar disorder which ruined her life, and even her death. It was not that far away in time.

As to the stigma...I like "Heads together", the initiative started by the British Royal Family. One can Google it, but I enjoy this video.

So nice to know that the young generation of Windsors has gotten something from Diana...altruism.

Thank you for this video. It makes me happy to know that the Royal Family is advocating for mental illness. Maybe with more fundraising, we will find a better way to heal people.

@ksinger , thank you for the movie recommendation. The subject matter speaks straight to my heart. I'm looking forward to watching it tonight with my husband!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results