shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab grown diamonds will make good natural diamonds way more expensive

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prospectors are not getting funding. I know - I am involved in Geocrystal with my friend Ewen Tyler who found Argyle and Ellendale.
So the replacement of cheap goods with man made diamonds spells future shortages of natural diamonds.

The wealthy and true (non geeky) lovers who want a great looking natural diamonds will have to pay more.

Didn't read all the posts -- wow, there are a lot.

The "problem" is that diamonds aren't that rare and a mine is expensive. Just like oil, gold in seawater, metals in nodules under the sea or even (eventually?) from asteroids -- it's the extraction cost vs the expected revenue that dictates the corporate behavior. For diamonds, market forces can and will react quickly. If natural diamond prices were to soar, so will production. It's not like Impressionist art -- the supply is pretty much unlimited.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Right you are :)

And so much easier on the wallet!

Of course, we have to keep them segregated in the proper sub forums, because... not really sure because why.

I suspect it’s because most pricescope vendors sell mined diamonds and the subforums should indicate that mmd is NOT a “real” mined diamond.

It would be great if we could have an explanation on what will be so taboo about posting MMD in Show me the Bling.

I could understand why MMD aren’t allowed in Rocky Talk as the rough does differ in some properties. But cut questions do apply to both mined and mmd.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I suspect it’s because most pricescope vendors sell mined diamonds and the subforums should indicate that mmd is NOT a “real” mined diamond.

It would be great if we could have an explanation on what will be so taboo about posting MMD in Show me the Bling.

I could understand why MMD aren’t allowed in Rocky Talk as the rough does differ in some properties. But cut questions do apply to both mined and mmd.

Not true. JA BN and a lot of our old vendors are moving that way

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I understand that.... what I don’t understand is how power is cheaper there than Tassie?! No competition for power there!

Maybe its line charges ?
people here who live right by the hydro dams have some of the most exspensive power - its disgusting - especially in the winter when they need to crank up the heat or freeze to death

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Maybe its line charges ?
people here who live right by the hydro dams have some of the most exspensive power - its disgusting - especially in the winter when they need to crank up the heat or freeze to death

I don’t know.... doesn’t make sense when they sell it & it’s cheaper elsewhere

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry I was wrong. Can you tell us why MMD are banned to one sub forum and can’t be posted in “Show me the Bling” and “Rocky Talk”?

Sometimes change can take a while. But rocky talky has always been diamonds only.. There were never allowed CZ or Moissanite or pearls or gemstones.
And since there is this forum for LGDs we should not discuss natural diamonds here.
So SPANK ME! I mentioned the enemy.

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Sometimes change can take a while. But rocky talky has always been diamonds only.. There were never allowed CZ or Moissanite or pearls or gemstones.
And since there is this forum for LGDs we should not discuss natural diamonds here.

Oh, have you just mentioned "The Enemy at the Mines", a film directed by Jean Jacques Annaud?:cool2:

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock

So... does that mean that MMD will be allowed in Rocky Talk & Show Me the Bling, now that so many of the big vendors are embracing them and getting into the game? The fact that they are real diamonds- not moissanite, CZ, pearl, or other gemstones means they’re excluded on a technicality, or for different reasons. Most of us who own MMD would guess because they are viewed as a threat. But it’s really more nuanced than that.

I suspect if you & the mods allow that, you’re going to get some pretty strong backlash from other PS’ers, who feel very strongly against MMD, & protective of their mined diamonds. But those users are always coming into this one little MMD sub anyway, to share reactions, opinion- or start fights, depending on how you look at it.

Or does MMD get its own “separate but equal” RT & SMTB subs? This one tiny sub form gets awfully crowded.

So... does that mean that MMD will be allowed in Rocky Talk & Show Me the Bling, now that so many of the big vendors are embracing them and getting into the game? The fact that they are real diamonds- not moissanite, CZ, pearl, or other gemstones means they’re excluded on a technicality, or for different reasons. Most of us who own MMD would guess because they are viewed as a threat. But it’s really more nuanced than that.

I suspect if you & the mods allow that, you’re going to get some pretty strong backlash from other PS’ers, who feel very strongly against MMD, & protective of their mined diamonds. But those users are always coming into this one little MMD sub anyway, to share reactions, opinion- or start fights, depending on how you look at it.

Or does MMD get its own “separate but equal” RT & SMTB subs? This one tiny sub form gets awfully crowded.

Not sure if I’ve already proposed this before as a suggestion or if it’s really even possible without a bit of a redesign of the website but what could be done would be to have a single RT and a single SMTB, but have the ability to add tags to each post and a rule that each post must contain a tag (in fact we could make the new post form require a tag for posting). We could have the following tags: mined, mmd, diamond sims, colored stone, lab colored stone, pearl, and multiple; and have people choose whatever works best. So for example if someone wants help designing a ruby ring with a diamond cluster, they would mark their post “colored stone” and say “ruby” in the post title, since the diamond in this case is just an accent to the main ring. If the tags are designed in the same way as the way jotw and tbt tags are, clicking on the tag can open up all posts relating to only that tag, like mined diamond, for example, or we can institute a filter so that people who don’t want to see posts relating to a kind of jewelry (Eg they don’t want to see anything relating to MMDs) can simply filter them out.

I like the idea because then every kind of stone can have a RT and SMTB without having a gazillion forums. The tag/filter system can be implemented across all subforums like Jewelry Pieces, Antique&Vintage etc. and we can get rid of the MMD/FFJ/Pearl/Colored Stone forums.

I think it would work well :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree it has its own forum but why can’t we show our bling in SMTB?

VDK1

Shiny_Rock

I also agree it has its own forum but why can’t we show our Moisanite bling in SMTB?

It sparkles more than diamonds! Our Moisanites are more brilliant and fiery than an actual diamond.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I also agree it has its own forum but why can’t we show our Moisanite bling in SMTB?

It sparkles more than diamonds! Our Moisanites are more brilliant and fiery than an actual diamond.

As a sparkliologist I agree that Moissanite has some great features. But this is a diamond forum and we have since day 1 not allowed CZ. M and CZ are what as a gemologist we call imitations. LGD's are synthetic gemstones. M is not an alternative to a commonly known natural gemstone.
I for one (and as a Director of PS) would not sanction M's. But I have contacted the Moderator for an opinion on AprilBabe's question.

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Okie!
I will shamelessly proudly show off in the Rest of the World outside the SMTB sub forum my insane " more brilliant than diamond" blings : Moissanites. Thank you!

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
But I have contacted the Moderator for an opinion on AprilBabe's question.
The current rule of SMTB :"No simulants please - only genuine gemstones"

If man made diamonds are allowed , Man made rubbies/ man made gemstones are allowed too?

They are " rubies"! They are " jemstones"!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The current rule of SMTB :"No simulants please - only genuine gemstones"

If man made diamonds are allowed , Man made rubbies/ man made gemstones are allowed too?

They are " rubies"! They are " jemstones"!

Man made gems are not 'genuine gemstones'.
This is based on the fact that by definition a gem (in the classes we are discussing) is a minerl.
And by definition a mineral is a naturally occuring chemically individual material.
These are the only 208 exceptions we know about:
Garry Geologist and Gemologist.

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Man made gems are not 'genuine gemstones'.
This is based on the fact that by definition a gem (in the classes we are discussing) is a minerl.
And by definition a mineral is a naturally occuring chemically individual material.
These are the only 208 exceptions we know about:
Garry Geologist and Gemologist.

"A synthetic gem material is one that is made in a laboratory, but which shares virtually all chemical, optical, and physical characteristics of its natural mineral counterpart"

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
"A synthetic gem material is one that is made in a laboratory, but which shares virtually all chemical, optical, and physical characteristics of its natural mineral counterpart"

The GIA is not the arbiter in this case - it is the mineralogical orgs

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A diamond is a mineral
A mineral is natural!

"Diamond - This article is about the mineral"
CategoryNative minerals

Wiki is not the same as scientist associations.
This is full of mis info from ameuters.
e.g. "Natural, synthetic and imitation diamonds are most commonly distinguished using optical techniques or thermal conductivity measurements."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results