shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep Diamonds Clean

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sadly, over the years I have replaced many such rings at the behest of insurance companies where the finders were NOT so generous.

Wink

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1399506515|3668153 said:
After the discussions here today I tried a new routine. Ammonia based soak and hot water rinse followed by alcohol rinse. It's already made a huge difference.

and on the other subject...I recently found a very nice diamond ring on the sink in the ladies room at Whole Foods.
I let the manager know, then took the ring home with me for safekeeping. About 3 weeks later I got a call. A young woman had been given it by her father and was in mourning over losing it.
A happy ending this time, but I imagine there are often other less wonderful outcomes!
Yikes! You're a good person:appl:. Many would go with finders-keepers line of thought

I also felt inspired to go soak my ring and studs in hot water with dishwashing liquid. It's the one with aloe for soft hands. Is that worse for jewelry because of the additives or still ok? Earrings definitely needed the cleaning :bigsmile:.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[/quote]
Yikes! You're a good person:appl:. Many would go with finders-keepers line of thought
[/quote]

More like a firm believer in karma! :lol:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nevermind Karma... in the UK they are now prosecuting for 'theft by finding'! :shock:

30yearsofdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
For John;

Open the cloth on your palm so the cleaning side is up and soak it under the tap.
Squirt a ring of Joy liquid detergent on the cloth.
Close it over and scrub the inside together for a few minutes.
Open the cloth back up and run COLD water over the side used for cleaning diamonds, never touch the inside, run water over the inside while pulling it tightly open. Bottom line is you have to get ALL the soap out, keep squeezing the soap out because if not the soap will leave streaks or microscopic cleaning grit in the cloth and will be seen on the diamond with a loupe.

when finished rinsing, fold it over so the inside part is protected and let dry overnight.

Do not wash in a washing machine or dry in a dryer.

I would do this every week on my cloths while at GIA, I still do it where I am now but probably only twice a month.
I have cloths that last years.

Always important when using to never touch the inside area and keep it folded over when not using.

When I do shows, Vegas, HK, Basel etc, I bring my own cleaned cloth and I do not allow anyone else to clean diamonds with it because they will always treat it like a dish rag. I make sure that I clean the diamonds they are viewing for them.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I agree that it's not a good idea to get int the habit of taking of your rings for things like hand-washing. One day I went to put lotion on my hands and one of my kids called me out on the back patio, so I carried the bottle of lotion outside. I took my rings off and set them on the bar of our outdoor kitchen, put the lotion on, talked to the kids and then turned around and walked back in the house with the lotion. A few hours later I walked back outside again and was mortified when I saw my rings still sitting there - I had completely forgotten about them :shock:

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
ok 30 years of diamonds-thanks for all of the tips-but which cloths? brand? thanks!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
30yearsofdiamonds|1399557979|3668456 said:
For John;

Open the cloth on your palm so the cleaning side is up and soak it under the tap.
Squirt a ring of Joy liquid detergent on the cloth.
Close it over and scrub the inside together for a few minutes.
Open the cloth back up and run COLD water over the side used for cleaning diamonds, never touch the inside, run water over the inside while pulling it tightly open. Bottom line is you have to get ALL the soap out, keep squeezing the soap out because if not the soap will leave streaks or microscopic cleaning grit in the cloth and will be seen on the diamond with a loupe.

when finished rinsing, fold it over so the inside part is protected and let dry overnight.

Do not wash in a washing machine or dry in a dryer.

I would do this every week on my cloths while at GIA, I still do it where I am now but probably only twice a month.
I have cloths that last years.

Always important when using to never touch the inside area and keep it folded over when not using.

When I do shows, Vegas, HK, Basel etc, I bring my own cleaned cloth and I do not allow anyone else to clean diamonds with it because they will always treat it like a dish rag. I make sure that I clean the diamonds they are viewing for them.
Dan, that's great stuff. I'm printing it out! I shall rehab about 50 perfectly good lint free cloths that I have acquired over the years. It has always surprised me how quickly they stop working!

Hysterical about you not letting anyone use your cloth. They must think you are pretty stingy! Or eccentric. But now we know, the rest of the story. :wink2:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne|1399506515|3668153 said:
After the discussions here today I tried a new routine. Ammonia based soak and hot water rinse followed by alcohol rinse. It's already made a huge difference.

and on the other subject...I recently found a very nice diamond ring on the sink in the ladies room at Whole Foods.
I let the manager know, then took the ring home with me for safekeeping. About 3 weeks later I got a call. A young woman had been given it by her father and was in mourning over losing it.
A happy ending this time, but I imagine there are often other less wonderful outcomes!

Good karma back to you! :appl: :appl: :appl:

30yearsofdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The cloths that I use are easily 15 years old and I don't know the name brand. Mine are one sided, meaning only one side is for cleaning. While in Basel a merchant had offered me three of his cloth samples for me to use and I found one of them to be particularly good.

Here is the web site, http://www.kycloth.com/

MCAUDI

Rough_Rock
I was going to pick up Joy today but only found lemon. Now I see that is whatbis posted. I will get some next time I go shopping.

Marcy

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Karma to you as well, Andelain =)

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
30years, that's a great step-by-step. Thanks!

Aha. I think you answered a curiosity: When I'm in China I see this too. Some of the more experienced diamantaire's cloths appear and disappear in a blink, remaining private. I thought it might be due to health-concerns, but now that you explained this I'd wager it's a learned habit. Since gemological training on the mainland first arrived from GIA's school in Taipei I imagine that would make sense.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the cleaning tips, jewelers. :)

Bonfire|1399472744|3667838 said:
lknvrb4|1399457490|3667745 said:
I use rubbing alcohol as a final rinse also because it dries spotless.

Just curious lknvrb4, even though it dries spotless, do you think it leaves a residue that may attract dirt? Do you think it discolors rhodium plating? Inquiring minds want to know haha! :bigsmile:

Most rubbing alcohol sold in the USA is either 70% or 90%, or at least that's what I've found in stores. The 90% has less water in it, so it should be less likely to leave water spots. But it is more flammable. Avoid heat and flame around it. 70% has about 30% water in it. I've never noticed any residue but have gotten water spots.

baby monster|1399509590|3668184 said:
...I also felt inspired to go soak my ring and studs in hot water with dishwashing liquid. It's the one with aloe for soft hands. Is that worse for jewelry because of the additives or still ok? ...
If it rinses off and doesn't leave any haze on the stone, then it works.

diamondseeker2006|1399476426|3667865 said:
... I think it is important to tell people not to set their diamonds where they cannot reach the pavilion with a brush! I had a former diamond set in a tight setting and I never could get it perfectly clean. Same with heads that are too low.
That is an important point. And some people may not even consider it. It's one of the things that I always keep in mind when evaluating a setting for any stone, diamond. colored gem, or sim. I learned that lesson years ago with sim rings. A CZ has to be kept immaculate.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does rubbing alcohol leave a film on the diamond?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thecat|1399653919|3669106 said:

Any cleaning fluid will, when it is contaminated with gunk from your diamond and left to evaporate, even pure distilled water will.

That's why I used canned air to blow away the dirty fluid.

That said, Isoporpyl Alcohol is what I use.
I keep it in this handy frosted glass pump bottle from a company called Menda.

Pushing down the spring-loaded metal top with your brush brings up a bit of alcohol.
Then flip the cover down to reduce evaporation.

Some women use these for nail polish remover.
Glass and ceramic ones are available here in many colors and attractive patters: http://www.mendabeauty.com/Search/Glass

screen_shot_2014-05-09_at_10.png

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1399600678|3668791 said:
Good Karma to you as well, Andelain =)

Jimmianne
I am sorry I did not see your post earlier:

1. I ordered my Varaet from them directly, I bought the "deluxe" set with the 4 oz cleaner, soft brush, and 3 cloths, I also have a 10% discount code for anyone who wants it, would have loved to give it to you. Next time.

2. That was wonderful of you to hold the ring you found at Whole Foods and a good ending. Others may not have done what you did. A few months ago my wife dropped her eternity diamond ring on the floor at New York Sports Club, the next morning when she opened her pouch, she noticed it missing, so she called the club and luckily someone turned it in! I flew over to the club to pick it up, wanted to give a reward to the person who turned it in, but they did not leave a name. When the woman at the club looked for it, it was with paper clips and pencils! Just got lucky on this one.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1399654257|3669109 said:

Any cleaning fluid will, when it is contaminated with gunk from your diamond and left to evaporate, even pure distilled water will.

Pushing down the spring-loaded metal top with your brush brings up a bit of alcohol.

Glass and ceramic ones are available here in many colors and attractive patters: http://www.mendabeauty.com/Search/Glass

Hi Kenny :saint:

these bottles are very cool - never heard of them before. love the cobalt.
off to order....

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That said, Isoporpyl Alcohol is what I use. I keep it in this handy frosted glass pump bottle from a company called Menda.
I use a bottle identical to that one for my Isopropyl.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Pollard|1399670935|3669268 said:
That said, Isoporpyl Alcohol is what I use. I keep it in this handy frosted glass pump bottle from a company called Menda.

No surprise.
ALL the coolest people have one. ;))

charks

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry but you all want to make cleaning so difficult.

I am a cleaning nut, I LOVE cleaning my jewellery.

I wish I had more so I could spend more time on it - nothing more satisfying than sparkling gems.

OCD or what?

I have used everything - ionic cleaner, jewellery in a sieve in boiling water with dish washing tablet, electric toothbrush with toothpaste, ammonia ( not recommended, disgusting stuff ), fairy liquid etc but nothing beats the steamer on my baby Gaggia. Plug it in, grab a pair of tweezers and put your pretties in that dry steam. Simple but it works. And a Gaggia is much cheaper than a commercial steamer. And it makes great coffee as well.

You know it makes sense!!!

Charlotte

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WillyDiamond|1399424015|3667570 said:
I came across Varaet watch cleaner for my watches, now I use it on my wife's diamonds. The Varaet cleans all the grime and residue and does not leave residue. Never sparkled so much.

The Varaet kit I ordered to try out on my ring arrived just now - wow, impressive! the white gold looks like new, the pave is sparkling, and the main stone looks uber-polished.
Varaet Kit excitement! :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1399685183|3669437 said:
John Pollard|1399670935|3669268 said:

Mine looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Swan-Isopropyl-Alcohol-99%25-Pint/dp/B001B5JT8C/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1399685114&sr=1-1&keywords=rubbing+alcohol

:lol:

I thought it was going to be one of Kenny's bottles with a SWAN on it!
:lol:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1399550778|3668399 said:
Nevermind Karma... in the UK they are now prosecuting for 'theft by finding'! :shock:

I had never heard of that before, but looked it up. It happens here and in Australia too.
The thing that would concern me with turning in valuable property or cash...there is a chance that it would not reach the rightful owner.
It seems better to notify a shop near the "find" and take the thing home rather than turn it over to the authorities and deal with all the red tape.

qwedsy

Rough_Rock
Someone mentioned earlier about choosing the setting so that the stone can be cleaned. How do bezels fit in this? Just wondering, since I am just in the middle of trying to decide whether to go bezel or prongs with my AVR. The bezel has a feel of protection and "this is going to last for my grandchildren"- sort of air about it, but I have super mixed feelings about the cleaning of the stone being almost impossible.. It can be soaked and steamed and all that, but theres absolutely no way to get it brushed underneath.

So would you - or have you yourself chosen to avoid bezels because of cleaning issues?

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the info, Kenny. :))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="kenny|1399654257|

[/quote]

Kenny...why are they so expensive? :-o

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne|1399715881|3669603 said:
OoohShiny|1399550778|3668399 said:

I had never heard of that before, but looked it up. It happens here and in Australia too.
The thing that would concern me with turning in valuable property or cash...there is a chance that it would not reach the rightful owner.
It seems better to notify a shop near the "find" and take the thing home rather than turn it over to the authorities and deal with all the red tape.

Whenever I've found something of value, I post my contact info with something like "Found; Purse. Call and describe". You wouldn't believe the WAG's I've gotten when I did that. :roll: :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1399678642|3669362 said:
WillyDiamond|1399424015|3667570 said:
I came across Varaet watch cleaner for my watches, now I use it on my wife's diamonds. The Varaet cleans all the grime and residue and does not leave residue. Never sparkled so much.

The Varaet kit I ordered to try out on my ring arrived just now - wow, impressive! the white gold looks like new, the pave is sparkling, and the main stone looks uber-polished.
Varaet Kit excitement! :lol:

Made white gold look new??!!! ...I'm sold! Going to order now!!

Thanks to everyone who posted cleaning methods - there is nothing like a sparkling diamond!! :praise:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results