shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep Diamonds Clean

30yearsofdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
For everyone out there with new diamond engagement rings please keep them clean. Below are two photos of the same diamond under a microscope. The first shows a diamond with no dirt, and this is the way diamonds are graded in the lab. The second is the same diamond after I pinched it between my thumb and index finger for several seconds,(a diamond grader would not be able to grade a diamond that looked this way. Picture a diamond after months of grease buildup!

Most jewelry cleaners are ammonia and soapy water with a small toothbrush.

clean_diamond1.png

dirtydiamond2.png

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
what is your opinion on the ultrasonics? worth it?

30yearsofdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ultrasonics work and help dirt to be loosened from hard to reach places, but the diamonds are vibrating and with micro pave over time the diamonds could become loose. A can of dust-off is also good for drying the ring after it was cleaned.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the reminder Dan, it's an important one - Keeping a diamond clean really does help a stone looks its best. Sometimes newly engaged people will comment that their ring doesn't seem as sparkly as it first did, and my first thought is "clean it!" I clean my ring like it's my job, and my husband kids me about it but then always comments on how sparkly it is.

I've read on PS where ammonia can affect the rhodium finish of white gold, so I soak my ring in hot water and a few drops of Dawn and use a soft artist's paintbrush for cleaning off the diamonds and then rinse well. I've been using rubbing alcohol as a final rinse and it seems to work well.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1399387480|3667240 said:
Thanks for the reminder Dan, it's an important one - Keeping a diamond clean really does help a stone looks its best. Sometimes newly engaged people will comment that their ring doesn't seem as sparkly as it first did, and my first thought is "clean it!" I clean my ring like it's my job, and my husband kids me about it but then always comments on how sparkly it is.

I've read on PS where ammonia can affect the rhodium finish of white gold, so I soak my ring in hot water and a few drops of Dawn and use a soft artist's paintbrush for cleaning off the diamonds and then rinse well. I've been using rubbing alcohol as a final rinse and it seems to work well.
June...do you dry the ring first and then dip the ring in rubbing alcohol as a final rinse?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
30yearsofdiamonds|1399385054|3667211 said:
Picture a diamond after months of grease buildup!
Exactly right. In essence, it stops being a diamond.

This is because grease changes the RI dynamic. A gemstone's critical angle depends on the RI values of the various surfaces through which light rays are passing. Air has a refractive index of 1.000 so light entering a clean diamond shifts from 1.000 to 2.417, as planned by the cutter. Greasy areas shift light entering or exiting to an unintended RI of 1.400-1.520.- (most oils) along the way. Whether air-grease-diamond or diamond-grease-air the critical angle is altered so that light which would previously have been properly returned has a higher chance of escaping in an unintended way.

Whenever I speak to consumers about cut-quality and optics I always mention rule #1 is to keep the diamond clean. Garry Holloway observes that shallow diamonds stand up to grease better than deep diamonds because their PA-CA combos withstand the critical angle change caused by detritus better. I'm sure he's right, but I say keep them all clean.

It's also important to know that diamonds are natural grease and dirt magnets. In fact, some mining operations still use "grease belts" for recovery; the ore is mixed with water and passed over a grease belt. The diamonds adhere to the grease. So if your diamond doesn't seem to have its "new car" look, sometimes a good cleaning will restore it to firecracker-status.

Writing this post makes me want to go clean my diamond.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Pollard|1399390655|3667273 said:
30yearsofdiamonds|1399385054|3667211 said:
Picture a diamond after months of grease buildup!
Exactly right. In essence, it stops being a diamond.

This is because grease changes the RI dynamic. A gemstone's critical angle depends on the RI values of the various surfaces through which light rays are passing. Air has a refractive index of 1.000 so light entering a clean diamond shifts from 1.000 to 2.417, as planned by the cutter. Greasy areas shift light entering or exiting to an unintended RI of 1.400-1.520.- (most oils) along the way. Whether air-grease-diamond or diamond-grease-air the critical angle is altered so that light which would previously have been properly returned has a higher chance of escaping in an unintended way.

Whenever I speak to consumers about cut-quality and optics I always mention rule #1 is to keep the diamond clean. Garry Holloway observes that shallow diamonds stand up to grease better than deep diamonds because their PA-CA combos withstand the critical angle change caused by detritus better. I'm sure he's right, but I say keep them all clean.

It's also important to know that diamonds are natural grease and dirt magnets. In fact, some mining operations still use "grease belts" for recovery; the ore is mixed with water and passed over a grease belt. The diamonds adhere to the grease. So if your diamond doesn't seem to have its "new car" look, sometimes a good cleaning will restore it to firecracker-status.

Writing this post makes me want to go clean my diamond.

interesting!
I am finding that even though I do a super-cleaning job - ... even use the steamer - it does not look the way it did when the jeweler cleaned it - it almost looked as though it had a polish on it/had been dipped in shiny. For a couple of days after they cleaned it, it looked amazing. Do you think they had a secret sauce?

um...going to clean my diamond now. :lol:
edit: I just scrubbed it with vinegar, then used a Diamond Dazzle Stick and it got lots better. Not as good as jeweler though.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jimmianne|1399390991|3667281 said:
interesting!
I am finding that even though I do a super-cleaning job - ... even use the steamer - it does not look the way it did when the jeweler cleaned it - it almost looked as though it had a polish on it/had been dipped in shiny. For a couple of days after they cleaned it, it looked amazing. Do you think they had a secret sauce?

edit: I just scrubbed it with vinegar, then used a Diamond Dazzle Stick and it got lots better. Not as good as jeweler though.
Be careful about cleaners for stubborn surfaces (esp foam cleaners). Frequently they have some agent that lingers which is designed to continue breaking up residue after application, but it can serve to mute performance similarly as it relates to RI.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Pollard|1399395424|3667319 said:
interesting!

Be careful about cleaners for stubborn surfaces (esp foam cleaners). Frequently they have some agent that lingers which is designed to continue breaking up residue after application, but it can serve to mute performance similarly as it relates to RI.
So I guess the Meguire's Tire cleaner is probably not such a good idea. =)
Also I've used multi-surface cleaners. I'm probably gunking it up though all my best efforts. Thank, John.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Resistance is futile The diamond will become dirty. It's why I decided I no longer need anything to be 100% eyeclean. It ain't going to stay that way long on my hand. :lol:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, I usually just pour a little rubbing alcohol over my ring and dry with a lint-free cloth.

John, thank you for that info, the next time my husband teases me about cleaning my ring I'll show him your post lol

Jimmianne, I agree with you, I think a professional cleaning by a jeweler works best.

And yes, I cleaned my ring after reading this thread ha!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Junebug, my Grandma worked in a jewelry store in the late '30's and that was part of her diamond cleaning regimen. Her diamonds sparkled like crazy :love: I have not heard anyone else say that they use rubbing alcohol. :wavey:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Mine were in the ultrasonic cleaner this morning. I never take out my studs or my eternity band. My marquis band gets everything you can imagine in the diamonds behind the stones. Moisturizer, clay, paint (I'm an artist) etc. Every couple of months I havave to bring it in to a local jeweler because it gets stuff caked on. Also my studs and ering look so amazing after they come out of the cleaner.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I came across Varaet watch cleaner for my watches, now I use it on my wife's diamonds. The Varaet cleans all the grime and residue and does not leave residue. Never sparkled so much.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I use rubbing alcohol as a final rinse also because it dries spotless.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WillyDiamond|1399424015|3667570 said:
I came across Varaet watch cleaner for my watches, now I use it on my wife's diamonds. The Varaet cleans all the grime and residue and does not leave residue. Never sparkled so much.

I'm going to try it! Just ordered the kit on Amazon.
[I am wondering if it is like Connoisseurs that contains a polymer that fills in tiny scratches].

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I am obsessed with keeping my rings clean!!! I see dirty rings/jewelry all the time and it drives me crazy :errrr:
My good friend bought me one of these as part of my Christmas present because she knows how crazy I am about cleaning my diamonds:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LYPMJA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The sticks are great for quick cleans and the soft brush heads can easily clean in hard-to-reach places (like the donut under my halo, etc.).

I also recently purchased this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q9XET4/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Again, it's very easy to use. I keep it on my bathroom counter (it looks much like a bottle of hand soap). The little brush easily pops in/out of the back of the bottle and you just squeeze a small amount of cleaner on the brush, clean/rinse your jewelry and pop the brush back in.

And, of course, I'm never without one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NW82CI/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I aways pack one when I travel because it's an easy polish on-the-go. I typically use the cloth after I've cleaned, rinsed and dried my rings. It gives them a final sparkle 8-)
I also own an ultrasonic cleaner, but to be hones, I don't find that it cleans any better than the items that I posted above. Every once in a while I will fill my ultrasonic with a solution of Mr. Clean and HOT water and then ultrasonic clean just to give my jewelry a deep clean. A jeweler friend of mine recommended the Mr. Clean and it seems to work fine (no residue, etc.)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lknvrb4|1399457490|3667745 said:
I use rubbing alcohol as a final rinse also because it dries spotless.

Just curious lknvrb4, even though it dries spotless, do you think it leaves a residue that may attract dirt? Do you think it discolors rhodium plating? Inquiring minds want to know haha! :bigsmile:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1399418672|3667518 said:
Junebug, my Grandma worked in a jewelry store in the late '30's and that was part of her diamond cleaning regimen. Her diamonds sparkled like crazy :love: I have not heard anyone else say that they use rubbing alcohol. :wavey:

Really? Very cool! I initially got the idea to use rubbing alcohol from a poster when I first joined PS in '09 - and in a pinch, for a quick clean-up, those alcohol wipes for cleaning glasses work well - that was actually my husband's idea haha! I usually keep one in my purse.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I soak my rings in cleaner maybe 3 times a week. But I was in a jewelry store on Monday and they put my ering in the ultrasonic and that was all. It still came out not clean because there were some frosty facets that I could see with their super bright lights. It almost scared me and I asked Jon about it and he said you really have to use a brush to clean the diamond's pavilion in addition to using the ultrasonic. So I think it is important to tell people not to set their diamonds where they cannot reach the pavilion with a brush! I had a former diamond set in a tight setting and I never could get it perfectly clean. Same with heads that are too low.

spicyitalian

Rough_Rock
Even washing your hands without taking rings off will leave residues depending on the water quality. I think most people don't realize that even if they are especially careful with not touching the diamond ring, grim still builds up overtime.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Agree, it's a very important topic. A diamond is not a "set it and forget it item"!! Thanks for starting the thread in the graphic way you did Dan.

Junebug- good advice on the artists brush. Toothbrushes and even some brushes that come with jewelry cleaners are not ideal. Go shop at an art supply for a brush that has long, stiff but fine bristles. This will let you get up under prongs and reach more places that trap buildup.

Alot of gemologists work with rubbing alcohol while they are examining diamonds under the scope because it dries almost immediately and doesn't leave anything behind.

John, good stuff on the optical science behind film-based loss of brilliance.

If you have own a diamond of outstanding light performance you have a solemn obligation to be a good steward. :wink2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super idea about the paintbrush! I agree that the little brush in the jewelry cleaner is not the best shape for reaching down between prongs!

30yearsofdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
In the lab at GIA the graders actually use water in a small jar with several drops of liquid dish washing soap and we found Joy to work best.

Which is also used to clean the lint free cloths that we use on a daily basis, and there is a method for cleaning those cloths.

joy.jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
interesting!

What about hard water stains and crystals, anyone have a good cleaning remedy?
A friend of mine has the same problem and her jeweler (she lives in a different state) uses Lime Away! That sounds incredibly harsh for the metal. I would never try that at home :o

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bonfire|1399491544|3668028 said:
interesting!

What about hard water stains and crystals, anyone have a good cleaning remedy?
A friend of mine has the same problem and her jeweler (she lives in a different state) uses Lime Away! That sounds incredibly harsh for the metal. I would never try that at home :o
The equipment, solutions and techniques that a professional jeweler uses are generally more powerful and effective than most home units. High power hot ultrasonic, and steam. You can buy versions of these for personal use, but generally they are a little to alot lower in cleaning power. However, if you use them on a regular basis you can help keep the real stubborn buildup from forming in the first place. It's a good practice to get that professional cleaning done periodically, and at the same time get you jewelry checked out. And if you develop a routine using some of the methods recommended in this thread, you probably won't everhave the need to take drastic measures. (I'm not sure what is in Limeaway, but I would never use it!)

Also, don't get in the habit of taking your jewelry off to wash your hands. That significantly increases your chances of eventually misplacing it or getting distracted and turning your back on it, for example in a public restroom. You get back to the table and notice the room is darker and realize you're no longer rocking your night light. When you go back to fetch it, guess what?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After the discussions here today I tried a new routine. Ammonia based soak and hot water rinse followed by alcohol rinse. It's already made a huge difference.

and on the other subject...I recently found a very nice diamond ring on the sink in the ladies room at Whole Foods.
I let the manager know, then took the ring home with me for safekeeping. About 3 weeks later I got a call. A young woman had been given it by her father and was in mourning over losing it.
A happy ending this time, but I imagine there are often other less wonderful outcomes!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
30yearsofdiamonds|1399480912|3667913 said:
In the lab at GIA the graders actually use water in a small jar with several drops of liquid dish washing soap and we found Joy to work best.
Bob Hoskins shared this factoid with me some years ago. I've kept a bottle near my scope since then. I also learned from a photography expert of some note on Pricescope to use ammonia before taking macro diamond-photos.

Which is also used to clean the lint free cloths that we use on a daily basis, and there is a method for cleaning those cloths.
This is useful. I'm constantly having to replace my microfiber, as I don't know that method. Can you share, or is it proprietary?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jimmianne|1399506515|3668153 said:
I recently found a very nice diamond ring on the sink in the ladies room at Whole Foods.
I let the manager know, then took the ring home with me for safekeeping. About 3 weeks later I got a call. A young woman had been given it by her father and was in mourning over losing it. A happy ending this time, but I imagine there are often other less wonderful outcomes!
A happy ending thanks to you, Jimmianne.

May all finders of others' misplaced objects share your generous spirit. =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results