shape
carat
color
clarity

Kay Jewelers--UGH!!! Do NOT go in there!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

leadfoot

Rough_Rock
Kay, what a class act!

A friend of mine SWEARS by mall jewelers. WHY I have absoluely no clue!! He says that he got a "screamin'' deal" on his current wife''s diamond and setting (.37ct marquis set in a wider invisible princess set high cathedral band) and has the idea that any other place that sells loose diamonds is out to rip you off because then you have to buy a mounting to go with it. Yuck. He was royaly trampled on when he bought her engagment ring, I tried and tried to show him the importance of a cert and independant appraisal, but no. So when we went back to pick up her ring, I looked at 2 of the only eternity bands that they had. Which, after researching on here about importance of cut, I knew were VERY POORLY cut stones......so I asked the sales lady if she knew if any of the stones in the band were fluorescent, since I am not for having a few stones in a ring glow like a nightlight. She asked me what fluorescence was, then continued to tell me that the do NOT IN ANY WAY add fluorescence to their stones, that other stores do to MAKE THEIR STONES SPARKLE MORE, but their diamonds are cut much better, so did not need the fluorescence.
20.gif

Just my experience with the mall jewelry store, barely worth .02!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Denverappraiser----Where you able to dig up the list of questions to ask your insurance agent???

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 79px">Date: 5/3/2006 2:28:42 PM
Author: denverappraiser
I don''t know the ShaneCo policy but that''s how I would start. With most dealers this will be sufficient. If they need something more than that I''m sure they''ll discuss it with you. Don''t forget to ask about the setting charge on the center stone and any modifications that may be required to accomodate it (like changing the head or ring sizing).

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver
Nope, turns out Shane Co''s ring is f/g vs1/vs2 and James Allen is g/h vs2/si1, so they won''t price match it. Oh well, worth a try
20.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, well I e-mailed JA and I am waiting for a reply (couldn''t wait until Monday..too excited!)

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Well, exciting news, JA got back to me, and since it was still less. I got my price match!!!
36.gif
I am so excited!
36.gif
36.gif
Thank you so much Denverappraiser, I wouldn''t have thought to e-mail them to ask that. I didn''t think they could upgrade/switch out stones in the same setting!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
28.gif
28.gif
28.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, will do. Thanks again. Also, I will be having my current diamond reset by Shane Co, and for the insurance I will need an appraisal. ShaneCo comes with appraisals for both the bands, but not the center stone. When is the best time to have it appraised? all together? Or with the center stone unset, in the old setting, etc? I also am thinking about getting the old setting appraised too, if that makes a diff.

Did you get a chance to find the list of questions to ask the insurance agent?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
35.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Just thought I would update everyone on the progress... Kay''s said that since it is a surface scratch on the diamond they will polish it, and will not replace it. Even though I said that it takes off carat weight and I want it replaced, I was told that it isn''t enough to matter (this again was coming from the lady "helping" me at the store and not the home store they have to send it to
29.gif
). Okay, so like I said before I won''t be using them for a major purchase again. The Kay''s lady was supposed to call me by Monday to let me know what was going on, she didn''t, I called her. She said to give her until Wednesday, I waited until Friday and called again, she said that she thinks the ring should be back any day (even though the week before I was quoted 8 weeks, whether it''s polished or replaced), she said she would call her home store and get right back to me. An hour later she called to tell me she left a message with the home store and they will be closed until Monday, so she will give me a call then. On the up side of things, Shane Co had told me that the wedding band I wanted in platinum would take 8 weeks to come it, turns out it will be in on May 27th!!
36.gif
Now if only Kay''s would get it together so I can have Shane Co set my diamond and have everything ready, and be done with Kays. Also I am either going to keep the old setting or sell it, either way it is white gold and needs to be replated. If I go through Kays it is covered under their lifetime guarentee and is free, but will take an additional ten days (ugh). Shane Co offered to do it for $40 in a matter of a few hours. What do you guys think? I am trying to decide if it''s worth $40 to be done with Kays early. I guess it all depends on when the diamond is coming back in, since it is supposed to be any day now. If Kay''s can get everything done (polish
29.gif
diamond, and replate setting) by May 27th, I may just bite my tongue and use them..ugh. This whole thing can be so stressful
32.gif
!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spend the 40 bucks.

Not worth dealing with these people anymore, IMO. Just be done with it.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Talked to the Kay's lady today. She said the home store doesn't know when it will be done, so she says she'll need some more time, but she couldn't even tell me if it will be a few days or a few weeks, absolutely NO help! She said she'll call me when the home store ships it. I thought it was quicker since they are polishing my stone down and not replacing it (which wasn't really what I had in mind with their "replacement" policy anyway
29.gif
). Thanks Gypsy, I'm definately going to take your advice and be done with them. I just feel like I keep getting the run around with them. I'm so glad I have this forum to vent on, and best of all there are others that understand, thanks you guys
35.gif
!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there a reason you haven''t had the BBB intervene yet? I''d have reported them WAY before now.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know what position your ''Kay''s lady'' holds but I would sure demand to speak to the manager, then the district manager, and then the regional manager. I wouldn''t stop screaming until someone could give me some definitive answers about what is going on. Believe me someone in that organization can tell you more than you know now! She would not be the last word for me.

Good luck - I certainly understand your frustration but would take it a bit further than just the lady you are dealing with in the store.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah. I second that. Honey, if my steak isn''t done right the second time it comes back from the kitchen (I''m not that picky but it has happened. At Morton''s. I''ll be damned if I pay 40 bucks for an a la carte steak and not have it perfect) I''m asking, nicely but firmly, that I speak to a manager. Steak comp-ed (because what''s everyone else at the table going to do? Wait for me?) Dessert for the table comp-ed and a gift certificate to ensure return business. All without more than a single statement from me that I am dissapointed.

Okay so Kay''s isn''t Morton''s but bloody hell, I would have had that lady''s ass on a platter by now.
29.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2006 9:38:47 PM
Author: Gypsy
Oh yeah. I second that. Honey, if my steak isn''t done right the second time it comes back from the kitchen (I''m not that picky but it has happened. At Morton''s. I''ll be damned if I pay 40 bucks for an a la carte steak and not have it perfect) I''m asking, nicely but firmly, that I speak to a manager. Steak comp-ed (because what''s everyone else at the table going to do? Wait for me?) Dessert for the table comp-ed and a gift certificate to ensure return business. All without more than a single statement from me that I am dissapointed.

Okay so Kay''s isn''t Morton''s but bloody hell, I would have had that lady''s ass on a platter by now.
29.gif
Gypsy - I want to go to dinner with you!

I have a friend that is always so revved up about service that when we walk into a place she''s already looking for the manager - just in case she needs to speak to him or her!

Yes, you certainly can ask to speak to the manager in a polite, but firm manner. No excuses please - just the manager. Thank you.

You have been more than patient - it''s time you got some answers!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL. I''m very nice. Just very firm. If the person is particularly slow it takes a solid all eye contact stare and an eyebrow raise... a little amused smile doesn''t hurt. You know, the one that clearly says you are NOT amused. In any way shape or form. Oh yeah. Best buy tried to give my friend the business on a computer purchase once. They said the that the return was after the 14 day period. Except she had complained and taken the thing (the whole computer) down twice with IN the 14 day period for repair and was finally fed up on day 15 of the purchase. I''m the ''enforcer.''
20.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2006 9:55:24 PM
Author: MissGotRocks

29.gif
MGR
35.gif

i wouldn''t go to dinner with Gypsy if i were you.
38.gif
they might recognize her from the last visit and this time they will spit on all the food before they serve your table.
14.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/16/2006 2:34:10 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 5/15/2006 9:55:24 PM

29.gif
MGR
35.gif

i wouldn''t go to dinner with Gypsy if i were you.
38.gif
they might recognize her from the last visit and this time they will spit on all the food before they serve your table.
14.gif
Yes, but I bet our service would be lightning fast!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/15/2006 9:23:13 PM
I don''t know what position your ''Kay''s lady'' holds but I would sure demand to speak to the manager, then the district manager, and then the regional manager. I wouldn''t stop screaming until someone could give me some definitive answers about what is going on. Believe me someone in that organization can tell you more than you know now! She would not be the last word for me.

Good luck - I certainly understand your frustration but would take it a bit further than just the lady you are dealing with in the store.
I''m in agreement here. Usually when a problem reaches the District Manager, it gets resolved. If not, the next step is the Regional Vice President. Sterling is the 2nd largest jewelry co. in the world. There are levels of management in all large corporations....your best bet is to find out the name of the District Manager and deal with that person directly. Good luck and stay the course.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for your input. I am just not by nature a confrontational person, so this is hard for me. But I am really angry with the company. This is the SECOND kay''s jewelry store that I''ve been to, and the service at both was far from good. I honestly don''t know how they say in business if they treat everyone this way. I am pretty sure the lady that''s been "helping" me IS the store manager. So I guess I''ll have to ask for the district manager, is this the same thing as the "home store"? Also, what should I say? I don''t want them to do a bad job on my ring, but at the same time, I want it to be done already. The lady said she put a rush on it, and that was as far as I got for a time frame. I''m afraid that when I talk to the district manager they are going to say that since I was originally quoted 8 weeks ago on April 30th, that I shouldn''t expect it ready yet. Please help I don''t have a lot of experience with things like this, as this was my first expensive piece.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Okay well I called Kay Jewelers to ask for their District Manager''s name and phone number, I was told that they currently don''t have a DM
29.gif
and the guy said I should speak to their store manager, who actually is not the lady I''ve been working with (I assumed the lady I was working with was, because I had called this store and asked to speak to someone, because the other store had been rude as well). She doesn''t come in until Thursday. He wouldn''t give me info for the Regional Manager either. I am SO frustrated.
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Sparkles 22,

Please contact me at the phone number given at my website. I might have some information that could help you
cut through red tape.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Sparkles,

I’m with Gypsy, you’re being way too nice. You are definitely getting the runaround.

#1 Call the BBB
#2. Call Tom Martino. (It’s a local TV guy who chomps on this sort of thing)

The ‘home office’ that she is referring to is located in the Jared’s store on Woodman Road. They don’t have anyone in-house that can polish a diamond so they will have sent it somewhere but you can bet that they know where and that they have been promised a due date. Polishing a scratch is not a difficult job and there is no good reason for it to take 8 weeks, especially if it was quoted at less.

Going back there with your plating because it saves $40 is, in my opinion, nutty. Life is way to short to set yourself up for this kind of stress to save $40. Get your diamond back and be done with them.

I can give you the name of the regional manager.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/16/2006 5:50:21 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant
Hi Sparkles 22,

Please contact me at the phone number given at my website. I might have some information that could help you
cut through red tape.

Well, I called the south store and the man there was a lot more helpful, he gave me the number to their customer service place. I talked to the customer service rep, and apparently the ring got sent to the home store, then the vender. It''s original date to be back was supposed to be around the 20th (of May, which I was not told), but since it''s at the vender, they don''t know. He said he would contact them first thing (his shift starts at 2pm) and have them put a rush on it (I told him I need it by the end of the month), and that should be more than enough time for them to get the turn around on it. He said the repair shop is closed for the day and he will call them at 2 tomorrow when his shift starts, he said that it may take up to 48 hours to get a return call from them if no one is available to answer at the repair place. I am hoping he will clear up the whole mess, since he has been the only one actually able to give me any info as to where my ring is.

I am going to give them until Friday, and if I don''t hear anything I will call you directly for some more help. I really appreciate your kindness and help in this whole mess.

Everyone has been so helpful, thank you all so much.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/16/2006 6:26:24 PM
Author: denverappraiser

Sparkles,

I’m with Gypsy, you’re being way too nice. You are definitely getting the runaround.

#1 Call the BBB
#2. Call Tom Martino. (It’s a local TV guy who chomps on this sort of thing)

The ‘home office’ that she is referring to is located in the Jared’s store on Woodman Road. They don’t have anyone in-house that can polish a diamond so they will have sent it somewhere but you can bet that they know where and that they have been promised a due date. Polishing a scratch is not a difficult job and there is no good reason for it to take 8 weeks, especially if it was quoted at less.

Going back there with your plating because it saves $40 is, in my opinion, nutty. Life is way to short to set yourself up for this kind of stress to save $40. Get your diamond back and be done with them.

I can give you the name of the regional manager.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
LOL-- the store didn''t know the the number of their home office when I called or where it was located or which "one" I was referring to.

Does the BBB have a website, where I can leave a comment?

Hopefully the customer service rep will get things cleared up. YES, I definately feel like I am getting the runaround (if only I sounded like my dad on the phone...)
20.gif
Yeah well apparently the home store couldn''t polish the scratch because it was too hard of a job, so that''s why it had to be sent to the original vender (at least that''s what I was told). I told the customer service guy that absolutely under NO circumstance do I want the ring filled or anything like that. He said they don''t associate with anyone that does that. I also said that I really wasn''t keen on the idea of them polishing it, vs replacing it either (that comment got brushed to the side). I just want my ring back from them and be done with them, you can bet I won''t use them again
29.gif

Thanks for your help!

Has anyone else had something like this happen to them?? What did you wind up doing?? How was it resolved??
33.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Assuming everything gets taken care of by the end of May, is it an unrealistic goal to get it appraised and insured before June 9th?

I can''t make an appointment with an appraiser since I have no idea when it will be in. Shane Co said their rings would be in by ready for pick up by May 28th (even with setting the diamond, if Kays gets it back by then...). So May 28th would be the soonest everything would be done.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Newest update: Talked to the customer service rep from Kays. Apparently to polish the stone is very hard and it will actually take longer than replacing one. So they are going to replace it, if that was ok. I told him that of course it is, that was what I wanted to begin with, but was told you wouldn''t do that! He said they had one in stock with the same qualities as mine, color, clarity and size. When I asked what mine was he said he didn''t know, but that it was between H-I and I1-I3. I didn''t even know there was an I3! He said he has to get the ring back from the vender and have it sent to the home store do the work, then back to Kays. He says it will be pushing it, to get it done by the end of the month. He said since he is in the loop and will be trying to get them to rush it he will keep me posted.

I just hope the stone doesn''t look yellow once it''s in the setting, and that the inclusions aren''t obvious. My new setting is going to have F/G VS1/VS2 stones, so hopefully it won''t make the center look too yellow.

I saw an old post on here that someone had a setting from blue nile with the average color of the stones as H, and bought a band from Kays with I/J stones and the I/J stones looked whiter. Does anyone know why this might be??? Here is the post I am referring to https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wedding-band-doesnt-match-exactly.25466/=

Thanks everyone!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sparkles22,

I''m glad that you finally found someone to help you. Make sure to get the reps name and keep track of your conversations for future reference. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results