shape
carat
color
clarity

Just bought an OEC !!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Here are some more pics, does everyone still think it will work to lower it?
Also, I know its probably a long shot, but would anyone have an idea if this an antique or repro? It is marked 14k and has hallmark B.G.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

c020_0.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
whoa, tiny, sorry lol
Trying again

c020_3.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
thanks!

c104_3.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh AJ! I thought you might be up to something
27.gif
, it is a gorgeous stone, well done my dear!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 6:18:21 AM
Author: Lorelei
27.gif
ha ha lorelei, you guys know me too well. You could probably hear the wheels turning all the way in Australia, lol!
Any ideas on what to do for the setting, do you like the bezel idea or should I keep it vintage style?

here is a head on pic of the diamond.
5.gif

bdd6_3.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/8/2008 6:27:00 AM
Author: arjunajane

27.gif
ha ha lorelei, you guys know me too well. You could probably hear the wheels turning all the way in Australia, lol!
Any ideas on what to do for the setting, do you like the bezel idea or should I keep it vintage style?

5.gif
I did! Hehe!!
9.gif
Is it going to be a RHR?

MMT

Ideal_Rock
It''s a beautiful diamond. I think the partial bezels are really pretty. Can''t wait to see what you do.
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 6:40:59 AM

27.gif

5.gif
I did! Hehe!!
9.gif
Is it going to be a RHR?
Lol, am I that transparent !? My thread in RT about old cuts was genuinely out of education/interests' sake, but then this ring just came along, after I had been drooling over Erica Grace's sight for weeks..diamond fate, perhaps..?
31.gif

Yup, definately a RHR..I really like the idea of the bezel, but OTOH I would also like something different to my ering (which is pretty modern) - perhaps some engraving/milgrain etc..
Earlier Glitterata mentioned that older cuts may not lend themselves well to bezels due to leakage - do you have an opinion on this?

Thankyou Diamond Dana and MMT
5.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''m curious too. Thanks for mentioning that glitterata. The site I mentioned has lots of OECs and even a few rosecuts in bezel settings. Anyone else know more on the subject?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
My 3 stone OEC is burnished set and sparkles like mad, I am planning on resetting the stones into bezels and am not worried about them performing poorly.

I am excited to see what you choose :)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I think I will post a thread in RT on the topic, once I receive the stone and confirm what type of cut it is etc.
Thanks for everyone''s input
1.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I''m so excited for you! It probably would look pretty in a bezel setting; the mix of very modern and antique can look fabulous and really unique.

I think the current setting is a repro. I''ve seen a good number of repros with very, very similar basket profile designs. Hard to say from a pic though, but that''s my impression. The engraving doesn''t look antique to me either. So I''d say alter away!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 4:34:47 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I''m so excited for you! It probably would look pretty in a bezel setting; the mix of very modern and antique can look fabulous and really unique.

I think the current setting is a repro. I''ve seen a good number of repros with very, very similar basket profile designs. Hard to say from a pic though, but that''s my impression. The engraving doesn''t look antique to me either. So I''d say alter away!
Thankyou LGK for the info, I can''t wait to join the old cut team lol !
So, in your opinion, there isn''t a downside to setting older stones in a bezel?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/8/2008 10:27:21 AM

27.gif

5.gif
I did! Hehe!!
9.gif
Is it going to be a RHR?
Lol, am I that transparent !?
Yiss! Heehee!
face20.gif

CharmCity

Rough_Rock
I have an old stone in a reproduction setting, I love it.

charmcity_2.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 6:38:23 AM

Date: 9/8/2008 10:27:21 AM

I did! Hehe!!
9.gif
Is it going to be a RHR?
Lol, am I that transparent !?
Yiss! Heehee!
face20.gif
Hey !
boxinggy2.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 6:31:15 AM
Thankyou LGK for the info, I can't wait to join the old cut team lol !
So, in your opinion, there isn't a downside to setting older stones in a bezel?
Well, it theoretically might create a bit more contrast/darkness in the stone, if it leaks a little (most old cuts do to some extent). Both of my OECs are set with metal all around them... I don't think a bezel could surround them any more completely!- and I don't think they look dark at all. The smaller one, which is a bit less symmetrically cut, I had in a high 6 prong temp setting before it came to rest in an enclosed antique one, and I couldn't tell any difference in brightness. So, I'd say from a practical standpoint, you aren't likely to notice much difference to the naked eye, especially if you can't compare side-by-side.

I like the look of modern-setting-old-stone. But, of course, I'm crazy about old cuts and like them any way at all!! I saw a nice huge one on Sunday
30.gif
when I was at work, probably at least a 3 ct OEC, and she had it hammer set into a yellow gold setting, very like a men's ring. I thought the contrast of clean lines and chunky rainbowy facets was smashing, it really showed off the rock fabulously, and it didn't look dark to me at all. It looked great on her too, she had a very distinctive style.

I also think a bezel is a great idea to protect the girdle if it's thinnish; a lot of them are.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LostieLovesBling

Shiny_Rock
Love this one :D
http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=266&rn=1432&action=show_detail

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Knox has some nice designs. I like this one.http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=261&rn=1312&action=show_detail Modern with a bit of flligree. I think they''ve raised their prices though. It''s more expensive than the custom spessartite ring I recently had done.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ack, Jane, it''s gorgeous!!!!

Where did you find it?

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Hehe--- I was Watching this one too
4.gif
--- but i''m being good
12.gif
--- our wedding is 11 days away
23.gif

Congrats! I can''t wait to see what you end up doing with it
31.gif
36.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!~ Head on I love it in the original setting , but from the side its too high. Congrats on a Beautiful find!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey all,
LGK thankyou for the practical info, I wish I saw 3ct OEC's in my day to day, lol !

Lostie and Innerkitten, I think you two have pin pointed my two fave designs from Knox at the moment, however the filigree one's a lil out of budget..
*sigh* there are so many great options, hopefully the current setting can be customised so I can wear it while saving for a special setting
5.gif

Hey Lauren, this is actually another ebay find ! I am going to reserve judgement until it gets to the appraiser here though - don't want to get too excited just yet.
2.gif

Thankyou Blinkydoll, how exciting that your wedding is so close, I hope everything goes perfectly for you !
It makes me feel better that a couple PS'ers were watching this one..
5.gif

TY Aprilbaby !

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wooooooo gorgeous AJ!!! I can''t wait to see what setting you come up with!!!
30.gif
30.gif

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Purdy!!!
30.gif
30.gif
LOVE the older cuts. I was admiring this on ebay too. Congrats on your purchase! Can''t wait to see what you decide to do with it.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful stone! Congrats AJ! I think that the current setting doesn''t do it justice though. I like the bezel idea-what about half bezel? That way you could still have that old/modern combo without worring that it would create darkness in the stone. Just a thought
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou all for your comments
1.gif

Adis, that sounds like the way to go to me - infact, I''ve found I prefer the profile view of half bezels often more than full..
SDL linked some great ideas earlier in the thread, here are pics of two that I''m really digging:

(out of budget at the moment, but may decide to save longer)..

1312_1_image.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
And I'm actually surprised at how much I really like this style..

While we're here, I wanted to ask people's input on another question - are there pros and cons to setting older cuts in white gold vs yellow?
My ering is yellow, however I only ever really see older cuts in platinum/white gold - does anyone know if YG will be less flattering? The stone is (I think) an F/G..(yet to be appraised though.)
Thanks in advance for any help !

1106_3_image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results