shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeff White Sapphire complete!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2009 4:58:02 PM
Author: stacy
Okay, I was already totally jealous of your collection, but now?!

Seriously, that is a dreamy sapphire and the setting is perfection! I bet you cannot wait to get that baby on your finger. I know I can''t wait to see handshots because you ALWAYS have stunning photos.

Congratulations!
36.gif

he he, thanks stacy, I''m glad you like it.
Yup, getting my mani this weekend and promise lots of shots of course
36.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I think that setting does what it should do best- protect and show off that gorgeous sapphire!!
30.gif
It''s simply beautiful

...I''m anxiously looking forward to hand shots of this beauty
31.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2009 5:48:20 PM
Author: cushioncutnut
GOrGEOUSSSS! I can''t wait to see more pics though!!! I love all the details!! Those prongs look lovely without being overbearing!!!! and the milligrain....and, and, and......................JUST DREAMY!!!!!
30.gif
36.gif
30.gif

Thankyou CCN - yours is one of my fave sapphire rings, I hope mine is as dreamy as yours IRL
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2009 6:46:01 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Gorgeous. And I cannot believe the color of the saph! Each picture is better than the one before. I am very curious to hear what you think of it when you see it in person, esp. the color. Sometimes saphs photograph bluer than they seem to the eye, so I can''t wait to hear what you think when you see it!

More handhots! But of course, you will do a lovely photo shoot
4.gif

More handshots will have to wait till next week dreamer! Lesley was very efficient and my package has already left Houston!

I am confident the colour will be just as expected - I''ve seen a ton of photos of this stone now from both Jeff and Brian, and Jeff did an awesome job in getting me my "ideal blue".

I''m very excited to meet my sapphire for the first time
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2009 7:01:11 PM
Author: pierreone
Wow, so nice. The sapphire is beautiful and they did a great job with the setting. Hope you love it. Thanks for sharing.

Thankyou pierreone, also for being part inspiration for this project
35.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2009 11:32:32 PM
Author: kas baby
I think that setting does what it should do best- protect and show off that gorgeous sapphire!!
30.gif
It''s simply beautiful

...I''m anxiously looking forward to hand shots of this beauty
31.gif

Thanks kas...admittedly both of those were high priorities!

But I do hope the setting has merits of its own though
2.gif

Like I said, I know its nothing revolutionary, but it is exactly what I wanted and I think it turned out beautifully.

Importantly, I will also be able to wear it without stressing about damaging my awesome sapphire
5.gif

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring AJ! Hoping the next few days go quickly for you -- looking forward to seeing your photos!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 4:56:56 AM
Author: bling addict
Beautiful ring AJ! Hoping the next few days go quickly for you -- looking forward to seeing your photos!

Thankyou BA, so do I! You can bet as soon as it lands I will be annoying customs as usual, lol..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
And, just for Ms Curious Chrono, because she asked so nicely
20.gif

Here is the final CAD we went with...you can probably see what I mean about how
it doesn''t entirely represent the final product. But I trusted Brian knew what I wanted, and he did to a tee.
1.gif

I will post the first CAD (the one we scrapped/changed) with the whole "story" once the ring arrives.

Ring889_copy.jpg

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
She''s a beauty AJ. Seriously, that is one fab ring. I can''t wait to see pictures of it on your hand in the Aussie spring sunshine.n

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Ms AJ.
12.gif
OK, I understand now why you didn’t want to show us the CAD. It is slightly different in that that little strip of metal really made the flow up to the melee a LOT better.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2009 11:33:03 PM
Author: arjunajane

GOrGEOUSSSS! I can''t wait to see more pics though!!! I love all the details!! Those prongs look lovely without being overbearing!!!! and the milligrain....and, and, and......................JUST DREAMY!!!!!
30.gif
36.gif
30.gif

Thankyou CCN - yours is one of my fave sapphire rings, I hope mine is as dreamy as yours IRL
5.gif

It is!!! My sapphire pales in comparison to yours. I sure wish I bought a custom cut sapphire! I just love how your sapphire gloooows! I am not disappointed in my sapphire by any means...........I just think my excitement of building my 20th Anniversary ring got the best of me!!
3.gif

....and looking at your CAD''s.... they can surely be deceiving since they look so computer generated. I never did a CAD with my sapphire because I think the CAD''s would have thrown me way off course. I could just see myself driving someone crazy trying to change what didn''t look right to me....
41.gif

Your ring IRL though looks remarkable. I can''t wait to see the entourage of pictures you will be posting!!!
9.gif
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 7:21:53 AM
Author: SapphireLover
She''s a beauty AJ. Seriously, that is one fab ring. I can''t wait to see pictures of it on your hand in the Aussie spring sunshine.n

Thankyou sapphirelover, and you got it on the pics - fingers crossed for sunshine next week as the weather''s been patchy.

However, I noticed walking around to meetings today that the gardens at the University where I work are looking especially lovely. Now that all the students are gone for semester, I think I can safely do a photoshoot on campus without being looked at like a crazy person
2.gif
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 7:44:34 AM
Author: Chrono
Thank you, Ms AJ.
12.gif
OK, I understand now why you didn’t want to show us the CAD. It is slightly different in that that little strip of metal really made the flow up to the melee a LOT better.

ya exactly - plus of course the shoulders aren''t cut out silly!
and the milgrain etc..

I guess I also just wanted to take a different approach to what I usually do ''round here (posting step by step) and really enjoy the experience of working one on one with Brian, yanno?

As it is, I second-guessed myself enough without having PS''ers in for the critique too, lol..
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 8:41:24 AM

30.gif
36.gif
30.gif

5.gif

It is!!! My sapphire pales in comparison to yours. I sure wish I bought a custom cut sapphire! I just love how your sapphire gloooows! I am not disappointed in my sapphire by any means...........I just think my excitement of building my 20th Anniversary ring got the best of me!!
3.gif

....and looking at your CAD''s.... they can surely be deceiving since they look so computer generated. I never did a CAD with my sapphire because I think the CAD''s would have thrown me way off course. I could just see myself driving someone crazy trying to change what didn''t look right to me....
41.gif

Your ring IRL though looks remarkable. I can''t wait to see the entourage of pictures you will be posting!!!
9.gif
36.gif

Not at all CCN, your ring has always been a standout and I know you love it - I love the colours in your stone, I have all your photos in my inspiration folder for this project
5.gif

I know what you mean about the excitement. Don''t get me wrong, I am over the moon with my ring, no regrets. But often throughout the process I did think "should I just take a step back and re-evaluate my choices?", instead of just forging ahead and wanting the ring on my finger asap, kwim?. (It is for my 5 year anniversary, combined with a gift to myself for getting my dream job).
I think those feelings are natural with custom, even with someone like me who was very specific about what they wanted
2.gif

I can say I am very happy I was working with Brian and Lesley and not, say, someone like Leon who wouldn''t communicate/give updates etc half as much. I would''ve gone mad I think, ha!
3.gif

Ya, after the 2nd round of CADS, at one stage I just had to go - yep, I trust Brian to execute my ideas/requests accurately - and of course he did.
CAD is a great tool, but it does give you more incentive to nit pick is what I found (compared to say when I''ve worked with completely hand made artists just from one sketch). Kinda odd, as you would think it would be the opposite, no?..

You betcha re the photos - let''s hope my camera does a good job of photographing blues hey?!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Oh, WOW.
30.gif
It''s gorgeous. Can''t wait to see your shots, arjuna!

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Hi Arj! Just checked in and found all this news! Congratulations!!! Your finished ring is beautiful and has so many different design elements that you love all rolled into one! The look is classy and elegant while sturdy and practical. I hope you wear it in good health and enjoy it forever! The sentiments attached to it should remind you of all the fun you had in the planning stages and all your PS friends who shared your journey.
( Hmm - I guess if we were really such great friends we could have all chipped in and shared in the cost!
emidea.gif
) never mind...It''s a winner!
emotion-19.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely love it, AJ
30.gif
Only one full frontal view...bah
11.gif
I know you will make up for this omission as soon as it is in your hot little hands
9.gif
I'm so pleased for you. It is a beauty
36.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2009 10:39:43 PM
Of course, I will start a proper thread with masses of my own photos once it arrives.
But I just wanted to send a huge THANKYOU to Brian and Lesley for their wonderful exemplary service during this whole project.
I wouldn''t have wanted to do it with anyone else, and I can''t wait to work with them again.

Thankyou all so much for your comments.
To answer some of your questions, I am beyond happy with the result.

To explain the design choice:
I had sooooo many photos of rings and different ideas swirling around for this project. Like many of you I''m sure, I have amassed a huge inspiration folder and was torn in a number of directions on how to do this project.

But in the end, the style and cutting of the sapphire really dictated alot of the design.
I knew I wanted something substantial, not tiny and dainty, which I believe we''ve achieved. In the end I took a combo of three different designs (all quite similar) that I really loved, and came up with my version.
5.gif

The ring is platinum, with 0.28cts of F/G VVS BG signature melee in the shoulders accented with milgrain.
The smallest part is 2.5mm at the bottom of the shank, and it tapers up to I think around 3.75mm where the diamond shoulders/channels are.
I asked Brian to add that extra ''strip'' of platinum overlay on the sides of the shank, so that the channels transition more smoothly into the shank, and I''m really happy with that extra feature.

I chose a straight bar head with single claw prongs as I''ve always loved that look. The prongs are intentionally a lil heavier than some may prefer in order to protect the pointy corners of the stone''s cut, but I still think they work well with the overall ring.

I know we didn''t reinvent the wheel or do anything too original - but I wanted simple, classic and importantly to showcase the amazing JW sapphire, and I think we achieved that.

The other direction I was considering was something VC-esque, all vintage with pierced or carved details - but I think this suits the sapphire better
1.gif
I was wondering what that was, and if I was seeing things. Interesting idea!

Photos look great, looking forward to seeing your pics!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous tribute to that beautiful JW sapphire. Very nice! I must admit though, I''d rather see your photos aj than the glam shots by BG. You take such great pics.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 9:29:11 AM

Date: 11/20/2009 8:41:24 AM

30.gif
36.gif
30.gif

5.gif

3.gif

41.gif

9.gif
36.gif

Not at all CCN, your ring has always been a standout and I know you love it - I love the colours in your stone, I have all your photos in my inspiration folder for this project
5.gif

I know what you mean about the excitement. Don''t get me wrong, I am over the moon with my ring, no regrets. But often throughout the process I did think ''should I just take a step back and re-evaluate my choices?'', instead of just forging ahead and wanting the ring on my finger asap, kwim?. (It is for my 5 year anniversary, combined with a gift to myself for getting my dream job).
I think those feelings are natural with custom, even with someone like me who was very specific about what they wanted
2.gif

I can say I am very happy I was working with Brian and Lesley and not, say, someone like Leon who wouldn''t communicate/give updates etc half as much. I would''ve gone mad I think, ha!
3.gif

Ya, after the 2nd round of CADS, at one stage I just had to go - yep, I trust Brian to execute my ideas/requests accurately - and of course he did.
CAD is a great tool, but it does give you more incentive to nit pick is what I found (compared to say when I''ve worked with completely hand made artists just from one sketch). Kinda odd, as you would think it would be the opposite, no?..

You betcha re the photos - let''s hope my camera does a good job of photographing blues hey?!

Well thank you! That makes me feel good to know that my ring was in your inspiration folder! I just bet you are going to be over the moon when you get your ring!!! Wouldn''t it be fun to be in the room of every PSer as they were opening the box of thier next jewelry aquisition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 2:59:57 PM
Author: icekid
What a gorgeous tribute to that beautiful JW sapphire. Very nice! I must admit though, I''d rather see your photos aj than the glam shots by BG. You take such great pics.

I totally agree!!!! I like seeing the jewelry in there own natural lighting......... not so staged!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
AJ, it''s going to be awesome!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
WOW! That''s a beauty! I wish I could play in your jewelry box!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Looks lovely, can''t wait for your pics :)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 9:56:07 AM
Author: Spirit
Hi Arj! Just checked in and found all this news! Congratulations!!! Your finished ring is beautiful and has so many different design elements that you love all rolled into one! The look is classy and elegant while sturdy and practical. I hope you wear it in good health and enjoy it forever! The sentiments attached to it should remind you of all the fun you had in the planning stages and all your PS friends who shared your journey.

( Hmm - I guess if we were really such great friends we could have all chipped in and shared in the cost!
emidea.gif
) never mind...It''s a winner!
emotion-19.gif

ha ha, I was wondering when you were going to show up blue sister!
I like your description - elegant yet sturdy, exactly.
Definitely, this whole thread plus everything I experienced in finding the sapphire was alot of fun plus educational.

I really treasure my experiences with Jeff, Brian & Lesley, and of course you guys.
Plus once the ring arrives, Fi and I will be celebrating our 5 year anniversary and so creating new sentiments attached to the ring.
We had a weekend away planned for now, but I''ve pushed it back a week so that I will have my ring - a true PSer, right?
9.gif
20.gif

It will also always remind me of when I changed gears and started on a career path that I sincerely love, which is when I went looking for the sapphire to mark the occasion..
5.gif

Thanks lovey for your comments!

btw, where are things at with your blue beauty? Any ideas on settings yet?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 12:00:53 PM
Author: risingsun
I absolutely love it, AJ
30.gif
Only one full frontal view...bah
11.gif
I know you will make up for this omission as soon as it is in your hot little hands
9.gif
I''m so pleased for you. It is a beauty
36.gif

Thankyou marian, and Absolutely!
I''m looking forward to the photoshoot - got my nails done today, he he..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 6:10:07 PM
Date: 11/20/2009 2:59:57 PM

Author: icekid

I totally agree!!!! I like seeing the jewelry in there own natural lighting......... not so staged!!

How interesting, practically everyone that has posted has commented that they''d like to see the real life pics (thankyou icekid for your comment about my pics!).

I always thought folks like the glamour shots...I must admit I agree it is nice to see how the ring actually looks in reality, but I do love having my BG pics as mementos
1.gif

well, here ya go guys...I reckon this is pretty close to RL size
9.gif

Interesting really, how all of a sudden the milgrain looks finer etc..

BrianGavin_Sapphire9_111909 real.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 1:44:58 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I was wondering what that was, and if I was seeing things. Interesting idea!

Photos look great, looking forward to seeing your pics!

Thanks Tgal..he he, do you mean interesting = interesting...or interesting, as in another word for unattractive..? lol..
2.gif

It will of course be less noticeable IRL, and will sit below view when on the finger.
However, considering my penchant for admiring rings from profile and side views, I already think it will become one of my fave features
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results