carat
color
clarity

JannPaul Reviews/Testimonials?

TeeSquared

Rough_Rock
I just asked about the duty free option and was sent this:

Wanted to share more details regards to the FTA;

As for the FTA , we usually do provide a COO & FTA form for Fedex to submit to the customs.
It's known as the Certificate of Origin + FTA application form.

However, it is to be noted that the FTA for diamond rings to the USA is not valid ultimately.
But how the USA customs works, they go by self-certification which means clients can try to submit the FTA doc, but ultimately it's up to customs approval, and not within yours or ours control.

I will explain more below on why it is not valid:
Giving you an idea of how this works, I'll try to break this down for you: Sorry it can be a little confusing.
To qualify for the waiver, certain rules of origin have to be met using some calculation methods.
image.png

Generally, we do have to identify the origins of our raw materials and sub them into these below categories.

To qualify: there are two ways:
1. Our raw materials are from either SG or USA. (if we are exporting to Australia, our raw materials can be qualified if they are from either SG or AUS).
In our case, we would have to check whether our raw materials are from either SG or US.

2. If they are not, in order for them to quality, certain conditions to have to be met: (which is the formula below)
In our case, we will be using a) Change in tariff classification (as our raw materials are not from US or SG)

image.png

Since the raw materials are not from US or SG, after using the formula, we do not qualify for the FTA.
(I'll explain to you further below)

The a) Change in tariff classic method requires the HS code of the final good to differ from the raw materials (non-orginating materials).

HS code of our final good (Decagon Ring): 7113.19.50.30
HS code of our setting: 7113.19.50.90

As there is no change in heading (7113), we have failed to qualify for FTA waiver.

This is where the question comes in, to be honest, the setting can originate from many countries.
Our settings (gold/platinum) is purchased in HK by our Mastercrafters but the origins cannot be fully proven, and if we cannot prove its origins, the no-change in header rule still remains. (7113)

But US customs works by self-certification, meaning that we can still try to apply (subjected to approval).
Hence, I'm going to 'assume' that our gold/platinum is from the USA (since our raw materials are from 'USA', it automatically qualifies for the waiver).

image.png

To be honest with you, among all clients that have requested for the FTA, about 15 of them now, only the first client Steven, as well as one other back in 2021-2022 got it but it was also rejected at first, and they went through 5-8 months of back and forth with the US customs, and have to pay a US 90 fee to get a case opened. Ultimately it was approved after 9 months, but they are the first and only clients that got it. So I'm guessing the US customs knows that it's not valid and subsequently, all the future clients got rejected.

That's interesting. I wasn't aware of the Change in Classification. I would assume settings' materials are purchased, but the actual crafting occurs in-house and employed under JP (since they allow for custom and bespoke designs). It might help to explore classifying the settings' materials as semimanufactured metals (7108 Gold, 7109 Silver, 7110 Platinum), rather than completed settings. So prove that JP worked a gold bar or dust into shape and setting diamond into the piece thereby changing classification from 7108 (Gold) and 7102 (Diamonds, not mounted or set) to 7113 (Articles of Jewelry).

Or if the value of your diamonds are high enough, you might be able to use the Regional Value Content method? The US-SFTA has a de minimis provision of 10% so if the non-originating materials contributes no more than 10% of the adjusted value of the goods, you may receive preferential tariff treatment.

TeeSquared

Rough_Rock
If I'm going to have to pay the tax, what is the best way to get the paperwork done in order to not slow anything down?

Just have your 5106 filled. You'll get tracking for it and once you see it on its way, be ready for a phone call or email with the carrier in case they need some more information or resend paperwork. You'll get your product, it's just how much extra you're willing to do to try and get around the duty.

ladybugsfromwi

Rough_Rock
So most likely we would have to pay the 5.5% when they import?

Any idea if that gets paid when you go to pick it up for before. Also is it worth even trying to get the exclusion under the FTA? Does that delay receiving the ring?

Not sure. I'm planning on just paying the 5.5%. Their explaination seemed reasonable and I don't want any delays.

SamoyedScarlett

Rough_Rock
Not sure. I'm planning on just paying the 5.5%. Their explaination seemed reasonable and I don't want any delays.

Same! Last thing we want are delays.

We just put a deposit down for 1.8-1.9ct and it will take 4-5months.

ladybugsfromwi

Rough_Rock
@Felipe My understanding is the JP LGD are CVD. Due to their stringent QC, JP's CVD is processed by one manufacturer under JP's proprietary patent following Paul's tight protocol. JP relates that this yields a very high quality LGD as evidenced by the GCAL 8X cert.

I initially started with something in the 2.6-2.69 ct range but eventually decided to go bigger. That's whan I was informed a new stone would need to be grown, and it would be HPHT instead of CVD. It does kind of restart the clock, but I'm happy to wait in order to avoid regrets.

itsfake

Rough_Rock
I purchased my wife a JP Decagon in a platinum setting. Hands down very stunning! Pavé PT950 setting with 1.58 ct melees, 2.8mm band width and a 2.44 ct VS1 E AGS 000 main diamond.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I purchased my wife a JP Decagon in a platinum setting. Hands down very stunning! Pavé PT950 setting with 1.58 ct melees, 2.8mm band width and a 2.44 ct VS1 E AGS 000 main diamond.

Those JannPaul videos (and their livestreams) on YouTube are great!
Congratulations on your Decagon - stunning piece!

itsfake

Rough_Rock
Those JannPaul videos (and their livestreams) on YouTube are great!
Congratulations on your Decagon - stunning piece!

Thanks, I agree

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Absolute perfection! Congratulations - and your wife is one lucky lady.

itsfake

Rough_Rock
Absolute perfection! Congratulations - and your wife is one lucky lady.

Thank you. I was stuck looking at the diamond and ended up purchased my own at ASET scope and ideal scope to see everything in person.

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
OP here - Diamond has been cut and graded

Decagon 2.7 Carat, GCAL 8X VVS1 E. Platinum 2.2 mm Channel with 1.7mm princess melees

USD is stronger now and the final price is going to be cheaper than anticipated, feels like I didn't spend enough $, but GF thought that 2.5 was already too big.

Last edited:

ssaratan

Rough_Rock

Looks amazing, mine just been cut and graded, what is the timeline from here do you think? When did you get your crafting video?

Wondering if I should get it engraved.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Looks amazing, mine just been cut and graded, what is the timeline from here do you think? When did you get your crafting video?

Wondering if I should get it engraved.

My diamond from JP just came back from GCal and I will be viewing it on Monday. I don't know how long the setting will take for the ring, but I have a pair of decagon studs that I received last month. Once I viewed and approved them, the turn-around time was about 1 week and shipping was about 3 days (believe it or not). It moved very fast after I approved and paid. Also, I got lucky as customs did not charge me tax.

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
My diamond from JP just came back from GCal and I will be viewing it on Monday. I don't know how long the setting will take for the ring, but I have a pair of decagon studs that I received last month. Once I viewed and approved them, the turn-around time was about 1 week and shipping was about 3 days (believe it or not). It moved very fast after I approved and paid. Also, I got lucky as customs did not charge me tax.

I'll be getting mine shortly.

How do you avoid tax? Did they just send it and you didn't pay them the tax for it?

awessum-possum

Rough_Rock
@momofive, @ssaratan, and @itsfake :

What was the design process like for each of you? When in the timeline did you start working on the design? Were you paired with a designer or just worked with your SR?

I sent my deposit late April but still haven't heard from anyone about this and we're quickly approaching the early October delivery estimate I was given so I'm a little concerned...

Will reach out to my SR but I'm curious what this process was like for each of you.

awessum-possum

Rough_Rock
Also @ssaratan, were you able to coordinate payment with a credit card after all? I'm also in the points game and would love to hit a sign up bonus with this transaction.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Always reach out to your SR. April to August is a long time to just sit and wait. My SE Chloe always seemed happy to send an update if I requested one. After I approved the CAD and sent my deposit, I didn’t hear from her unless I reached out.

I didn’t work with a designer, only my SR.

I think there’s a 3% fee for using a credit card, so I used wire. Can’t help you there. Ppl talk about using Stripe and getting a sign up bonus with that.

I still got a tax bill. Don’t know how some ppl avoided that. It came after the delivery. And Chloe says the tax bill sometimes comes months after the delivery. So don’t be surprised either way.

Am excited for you!

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
Also @ssaratan, were you able to coordinate payment with a credit card after all? I'm also in the points game and would love to hit a sign up bonus with this transaction.

Using Chase Sapphire Preferred 2.5% CB, Stripe takes 3.5% fee.

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
@momofive, @ssaratan, and @itsfake :

What was the design process like for each of you? When in the timeline did you start working on the design? Were you paired with a designer or just worked with your SR?

I sent my deposit late April but still haven't heard from anyone about this and we're quickly approaching the early October delivery estimate I was given so I'm a little concerned...

Will reach out to my SR but I'm curious what this process was like for each of you.

Paid deposit in March

Worked with sales rep on design in April

Followed up 2-3 months in to see the status with 2-3 weekly checkins via Whatsapp.

Diamond grown in July

Diamond finish cutting/growing in August

The wedding band is ready in July so we're just waiting for the Diamond to arrive at their place

ssaratan

Rough_Rock

Interesting, fedex customs usually send it a few weeks after delivery, are you saying it was waived completely? I heard some people needed to dispute/appeal the tax decision after the fact

awessum-possum

Rough_Rock
Always reach out to your SR. April to August is a long time to just sit and wait. My SE Chloe always seemed happy to send an update if I requested one. After I approved the CAD and sent my deposit, I didn’t hear from her unless I reached out.

I didn’t work with a designer, only my SR.

I think there’s a 3% fee for using a credit card, so I used wire. Can’t help you there. Ppl talk about using Stripe and getting a sign up bonus with that.

I still got a tax bill. Don’t know how some ppl avoided that. It came after the delivery. And Chloe says the tax bill sometimes comes months after the delivery. So don’t be surprised either way.

Am excited for you!

I agree. In hindsight, I should have been more proactive. This is my first time purchasing something like this and was under the impression that they would continue to lead me by the hand like in the beginning. Don't get me wrong, my SR is quick to respond and is a super pleasant person, but there is a discrepancy in their proactiveness since placing my order. I'm sure they're just slammed with orders.

Anyway, I hope it's not too late as I have an entire trip planned around this ring mid October. Fingers crossed.

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
I agree. In hindsight, I should have been more proactive. This is my first time purchasing something like this and was under the impression that they would continue to lead me by the hand like in the beginning. Don't get me wrong, my SR is quick to respond and is a super pleasant person, but there is a discrepancy in their proactiveness since placing my order. I'm sure they're just slammed with orders.

Anyway, I hope it's not too late as I have an entire trip planned around this ring mid October. Fingers crossed.

Just check in with them, if you ordered in April, stone should probably be ready - they've removed pricing from sz 1.6 and larger from their site. They have a new 137 facet octagon now.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting, fedex customs usually send it a few weeks after delivery, are you saying it was waived completely? I heard some people needed to dispute/appeal the tax decision after the fact

I haven't gotten my EC ring yet, but for the studs they sent a tax bill and the amount was "$0". I asked Avery and she said that means I don't have to pay tax and some people just hit it lucky. IDK, maybe I'll get another bill, but that was about a month ago.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! I just had a zoom call with my JP sales rep, Avery. and saw my 3 EC diamonds together for the first time. The center diamond is LG, 3.88E VVS2. The ASET was crazy red and the flashes coming from the diamond in different lighting conditions were phenomenal. All 3 together looked fabulous. Now I have to wait until October 23 to get the ring!!! I'm hoping it will be done sooner, but the setting is custom so that is why it takes so long. They will also be making me a video of the setting of the stones. I can't wait!!

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
OMG! I just had a zoom call with my JP sales rep, Avery. and saw my 3 EC diamonds together for the first time. The center diamond is LG, 3.88E VVS2. The ASET was crazy red and the flashes coming from the diamond in different lighting conditions were phenomenal. All 3 together looked fabulous. Now I have to wait until October 23 to get the ring!!! I'm hoping it will be done sooner, but the setting is custom so that is why it takes so long. They will also be making me a video of the setting of the stones. I can't wait!!

Damn, that sounds enormous lol.... Do you feel safe wearing such a thing out?

Their prices are really fare tbh, I almost feel that I'm spending too little on the ring for my partner.

But then again the natural equivalent is probably around 80-100k.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Damn, that sounds enormous lol.... Do you feel safe wearing such a thing out?

Their prices are really fare tbh, I almost feel that I'm spending too little on the ring for my partner.

But then again the natural equivalent is probably around 80-100k.

LOL. It's funny, the mold they sent doesn't feel so big compared to what I have, but I know when I see the actual diamonds it will be a totally different story. I do wear my current ER/band every day. I miss it if I don't have it on. I'll post when I get it. The date has been moved up a little to 10/18.

Last edited:

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
LOL. It's funny, the mold they sent doesn't feel so big compared to what I have, but I know when I see the actual diamonds it will be a totally different story. I do wear my current ER/band every day. I miss it if I don't have it on. I'll post when I get it. The date has been moved up a little to 10/18.

Is inscription too cheesy?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results