shape
carat
color
clarity

JannPaul Reviews/Testimonials?

TeeSquared

Rough_Rock
And I asked about the duty free and she said that wouldn’t work even though she knew about @DRSAMURAI ‘s ring. I’ll try again when it gets down to it.

It is duty free. When you are contacted by the carrier (mine was FedEx), ensure that they get the Certificate of Origin, should be HTSUS 7116.20.15.00. My experience with FedEx was that although the paper copies of the CBP Form 5106 and CoO were included with the package, they don't properly receive them. When FedEx reaches out to you, or be proactive and reach out to them, send both forms electronically. They need to have the CoO when they process the shipment or proof that it was sent along with the package and that it was FedEx that did not receive the documents.
My mistake was not sending the CoO at the same time. I needed FedEx to apply the adjustment retroactively, with a service fee of USD$90.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
It is duty free. When you are contacted by the carrier (mine was FedEx), ensure that they get the Certificate of Origin, should be HTSUS 7116.20.15.00. My experience with FedEx was that although the paper copies of the CBP Form 5106 and CoO were included with the package, they don't properly receive them. When FedEx reaches out to you, or be proactive and reach out to them, send both forms electronically. They need to have the CoO when they process the shipment or proof that it was sent along with the package and that it was FedEx that did not receive the documents.
My mistake was not sending the CoO at the same time. I needed FedEx to apply the adjustment retroactively, with a service fee of USD$90.

Thanks. This is great info.

ssaratan

Rough_Rock

How much did this save you and is it worth the hassle?

Was the process where you purchased it and paid Singapore Taxes and withheld their US/Local Taxes, which they're responsible for until the forms are sent in and filed?

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
I am from Singapore and have received my Decagon last dec. Was too lazy to post a follow up but safe to say she is my holy grail. had wanted to get a tennis bracelet from them next, but still thinking about it.

awessum-possum

Rough_Rock
I am from Singapore and have received my Decagon last dec. Was too lazy to post a follow up but safe to say she is my holy grail. had wanted to get a tennis bracelet from them next, but still thinking about it.

What was the turnaround time from payment deposit to fulfillment?

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
The wait is driving me crazy. I just try to put it out of my head! LOL

Same - I paid for mine 2 weeks ago and still waiting for 3D rendering. Which step are you on now?

awessum-possum

Rough_Rock
The wait is driving me crazy. I just try to put it out of my head! LOL

Same - I paid for mine 2 weeks ago and still waiting for 3D rendering. Which step are you on now?

Oh wow. I need to get my order in! Issue is I’m unsure about the cut I want to go with. Stuck between Decagon, Oval, and the radiant that Paul Jung recently teased on his IG profile.

I wonder if I can place an order now for a certain carat size and choose the cut later.

What timeframes did you guys get? And what are the various steps of the process? So exciting!

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow. I need to get my order in! Issue is I’m unsure about the cut I want to go with. Stuck between Decagon, Oval, and the radiant that Paul Jung recently teased on his IG profile.

I wonder if I can place an order now for a certain carat size and choose the cut later.

What timeframes did you guys get? And what are the various steps of the process? So exciting!

I want one of each!! haha

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I was told 5-6 months. It's been one month.
You have a hard choice to make. I love the decagon, but ovals are growing on my. I currently have a radiant which I love, but I know they are not the cut of choice on PS for some reason. I guess not classic enough.

awessum-possum

Rough_Rock
I was told 5-6 months. It's been one month.
You have a hard choice to make. I love the decagon, but ovals are growing on my. I currently have a radiant which I love, but I know they are not the cut of choice on PS for some reason. I guess not classic enough.

They just announced their Radiant X. My goodness; it's beautiful! :drool: I was leaning towards the decagon but I'm back to square one. :lol:

I'm new to the diamond space so there's a lot I don't know. Any other potential reasons for why it is not a preferred cut here on PS? I wonder if the Radiant X addresses those issues?

If you don't mind me asking, what was your reasoning for going from the radiant to an EC? Thanks in advance!

dianaR

Rough_Rock
Ughhh! I need to start saving for a
Decagon!! I just got my ring last month and I’m already talking about a new diamond :roll:

dianaR

Rough_Rock
I am in the process of working with them for an EC 3 stone ring and a pair of decagon earrings.
You are definitely paying more for their premium stones. The reason I went with them was I started out with Earth Grown (EG) and just it kept getting more and more pricey and I decided to look at Lab Grown (LG). I think it's much easier to find a great round diamond online but with EC's you really have to see them so I ordered a couple but wasn't happy with them. The pros on here said that you pay a premium for JP, but they have extremely strict guidelines and standards for their diamonds and I shouldn't have any worries about buying from them.
So, as the price, while being higher, was no where near EG, I decided to go with them and in the process ordered the decagons because I loved them and am still way under my EG price.
I am working with Avery and she has been very gracious and helpful. They charged me the exact exchange rate on that day for my USD. They are growing the main EC and the decagons now. The specs for the two side stones which they had in stock and reserved are: .52 E VVS1 and .51D VVS2.

So, as far as quality, I don't have any worries and I know I am paying more, but I am OK with that.
Hope this helps.

A bit off to B11DE9F9-4CD4-4383-A02A-E4C1ED919139.png

A bit off topic but I didn’t know where else to post. @momofive You said you like EC, right? I was browsing on instagram and saw this ginormous beauty. A whopping 80 ct D, Fl EC :-o:-o:-o:-o

TeeSquared

Rough_Rock
How much did this save you and is it worth the hassle?

Was the process where you purchased it and paid Singapore Taxes and withheld their US/Local Taxes, which they're responsible for until the forms are sent in and filed?

So if you don't claim Free Trade Agreement and pay full duty, it's almost 6% of your purchase price. You pay this in USD upon the item's arrival on US soil. If you apply for the exemption post delivery, as in the carrier needs to do extra work after they already cleared the product to enter US, you'll need to pay a service fee which in my case was $90. If you can do it proactively, I'm quite certain you can avoid the service fee too.

For export, at least from my experience with JP, they do not add GST. So whatever you were quoted for your final price is what you pay in SGD. You, the recipient, are responsible for duty levied by the US government.

You pay JP in SGD > JP sends item > Carrier processes customs when it arrives in US, with or without certificate of origin and Free Trade Agreement paperwork > If duty (in USD) is levied, as in my case, carrier pays on your behalf first > Carrier delivers item to you > You are now responsible for duty that carrier has already paid

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
They just announced their Radiant X. My goodness; it's beautiful! :drool: I was leaning towards the decagon but I'm back to square one. :lol:

I'm new to the diamond space so there's a lot I don't know. Any other potential reasons for why it is not a preferred cut here on PS? I wonder if the Radiant X addresses those issues?

If you don't mind me asking, what was your reasoning for going from the radiant to an EC? Thanks in advance!

I seem to gravitate more towards longer geometric cuts in all my rings. Or, at least non-round. I love my radiant and plan on keeping it, but I saw a beautiful EC that my neighbor has and fell in love with the flash patterns. I also think it will look beautiful in a 3 stone EC ring, which is what I am doing as we just celebrated our 40th anniversary. I don’t know why PSr’s don’t seem to like radiant (I’m sure there are many who do), but maybe, like ovals, it is more difficult to find a good one. The JP radiant is stunning and I’m pretty sure they would have solved any issues with performance.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
A bit off to B11DE9F9-4CD4-4383-A02A-E4C1ED919139.png

A bit off topic but I didn’t know where else to post. @momofive You said you like EC, right? I was browsing on instagram and saw this ginormous beauty. A whopping 80 ct D, Fl EC :-o:-o:-o:-o

I think I’d need two to balance out the weight so I am not lopsided! LOL

SamoyedScarlett

Rough_Rock
So if you don't claim Free Trade Agreement and pay full duty, it's almost 6% of your purchase price. You pay this in USD upon the item's arrival on US soil. If you apply for the exemption post delivery, as in the carrier needs to do extra work after they already cleared the product to enter US, you'll need to pay a service fee which in my case was $90. If you can do it proactively, I'm quite certain you can avoid the service fee too.

For export, at least from my experience with JP, they do not add GST. So whatever you were quoted for your final price is what you pay in SGD. You, the recipient, are responsible for duty levied by the US government.

You pay JP in SGD > JP sends item > Carrier processes customs when it arrives in US, with or without certificate of origin and Free Trade Agreement paperwork > If duty (in USD) is levied, as in my case, carrier pays on your behalf first > Carrier delivers item to you > You are now responsible for duty that carrier has already paid

Can I ask how the communication was with the sales associate?
I emailed inquiring and got a response from Chloe.
Responded to her about what I'm interested in but haven't heard back yet.

TeeSquared

Rough_Rock
Can I ask how the communication was with the sales associate?
I emailed inquiring and got a response from Chloe.
Responded to her about what I'm interested in but haven't heard back yet.

Communication was fine. Have you had an initial Zoom meeting? After each conversation about the design and the kind of changes we wanted to make, it takes them a while to create the 3d renderings. But once it's complete, they'll respond. It seems like they have a lot of clients so they won't respond immediately. In my case, I had them do quite a few editions and it was starting to come up on my deadline. I was texting my sales associate once a week for updates. I was probably more persistent than I needed to be but seeing as how important of a day it was, I was nervous and wanted my product in hand well before I needed it. That was for the product side of things.

As for customs and FTA, that was a little different. They're a jewelry business in Singapore, I don't expect them to be totally knowledgeable in global export. Their instructions were correct overall, but when it comes to ensuring the perfect, seamless import, I would be more proactive with the carrier next time.

SamoyedScarlett

Rough_Rock
Communication was fine. Have you had an initial Zoom meeting? After each conversation about the design and the kind of changes we wanted to make, it takes them a while to create the 3d renderings. But once it's complete, they'll respond. It seems like they have a lot of clients so they won't respond immediately. In my case, I had them do quite a few editions and it was starting to come up on my deadline. I was texting my sales associate once a week for updates. I was probably more persistent than I needed to be but seeing as how important of a day it was, I was nervous and wanted my product in hand well before I needed it. That was for the product side of things.

As for customs and FTA, that was a little different. They're a jewelry business in Singapore, I don't expect them to be totally knowledgeable in global export. Their instructions were correct overall, but when it comes to ensuring the perfect, seamless import, I would be more proactive with the carrier next time.

Not yet - I replied back with what I was interested in and was hoping I would get a reply to set up a zoom meeting.

I don’t expect to need the ring until Nov/Dec but I’d rather get started now.

I’m more anxious to see what they have and if the prices are similar to what is listed on their site.

TeeSquared

Rough_Rock
Not yet - I replied back with what I was interested in and was hoping I would get a reply to set up a zoom meeting.

I’m more anxious to see what they have and if the prices are similar to what is listed on their site.
I initiated contact at the end of August with a goal of having it in hand at the end of November. Life happened and I didn't end up needing it until early January. Ended up getting it towards the end of December. I also chose a diamond that they had on hand so I didn't need to wait until one was available. So start to finish, about 4 months?

I'm not too certain about how the pricing works between the various cuts as I knew what I wanted and didn't look at the other cuts, but I will say that mine was a decagon and it was significantly higher (1.8x) than listed on the price chart. I'm chalking it up to the added labor and expertise of the cutter required to cut a decagon.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock

I have great communication with my SR, Avery. After the initial zoom and one other phone call, we DM on What’sApp and she always gets back to me within 24 hours at the latest. There is a 12 hour time difference, so take that into account. I find if I DM her late at night, there is usually an answer for me by 8am or so, and sometimes we have a DM convo in the morning, which is late night for her, so I’m assuming she answers whenever she can.

Also, Avery just let me know last week that the decagon studs I’ve ordered were just sent out for grading to 8xGCal, so they should get them back in a couple of weeks and we will zoom so I can check them out before they ship.

awessum-possum

Rough_Rock

My SR is Eugene. I'm early in the process but he's been a pleasure to work with so far. He's especially fast to respond over WhatsApp. Always within 24 hours but usually under 2 hours if I message him during the day in SGT time.

Depending on the carat size you're looking for, you're actually not too early if you need it for Nov/Dec. I was quoted 5ish months for a 2.6-2.69ct. If you place an order now and are quoted the same, you're looking at a Novemberish estimate. And I'm not sure that takes into account transit time/delays due to customs.

ladybugsfromwi

Rough_Rock

I just asked about the duty free option and was sent this:

Wanted to share more details regards to the FTA;

As for the FTA , we usually do provide a COO & FTA form for Fedex to submit to the customs.
It's known as the Certificate of Origin + FTA application form.

However, it is to be noted that the FTA for diamond rings to the USA is not valid ultimately.
But how the USA customs works, they go by self-certification which means clients can try to submit the FTA doc, but ultimately it's up to customs approval, and not within yours or ours control.

I will explain more below on why it is not valid:
Giving you an idea of how this works, I'll try to break this down for you: Sorry it can be a little confusing.
To qualify for the waiver, certain rules of origin have to be met using some calculation methods.
image.png

Generally, we do have to identify the origins of our raw materials and sub them into these below categories.

To qualify: there are two ways:
1. Our raw materials are from either SG or USA. (if we are exporting to Australia, our raw materials can be qualified if they are from either SG or AUS).
In our case, we would have to check whether our raw materials are from either SG or US.

2. If they are not, in order for them to quality, certain conditions to have to be met: (which is the formula below)
In our case, we will be using a) Change in tariff classification (as our raw materials are not from US or SG)

image.png

Since the raw materials are not from US or SG, after using the formula, we do not qualify for the FTA.
(I'll explain to you further below)

The a) Change in tariff classic method requires the HS code of the final good to differ from the raw materials (non-orginating materials).

HS code of our final good (Decagon Ring): 7113.19.50.30
HS code of our setting: 7113.19.50.90

As there is no change in heading (7113), we have failed to qualify for FTA waiver.

This is where the question comes in, to be honest, the setting can originate from many countries.
Our settings (gold/platinum) is purchased in HK by our Mastercrafters but the origins cannot be fully proven, and if we cannot prove its origins, the no-change in header rule still remains. (7113)

But US customs works by self-certification, meaning that we can still try to apply (subjected to approval).
Hence, I'm going to 'assume' that our gold/platinum is from the USA (since our raw materials are from 'USA', it automatically qualifies for the waiver).

image.png

To be honest with you, among all clients that have requested for the FTA, about 15 of them now, only the first client Steven, as well as one other back in 2021-2022 got it but it was also rejected at first, and they went through 5-8 months of back and forth with the US customs, and have to pay a US 90 fee to get a case opened. Ultimately it was approved after 9 months, but they are the first and only clients that got it. So I'm guessing the US customs knows that it's not valid and subsequently, all the future clients got rejected.

SamoyedScarlett

Rough_Rock
I initiated contact at the end of August with a goal of having it in hand at the end of November. Life happened and I didn't end up needing it until early January. Ended up getting it towards the end of December. I also chose a diamond that they had on hand so I didn't need to wait until one was available. So start to finish, about 4 months?

I'm not too certain about how the pricing works between the various cuts as I knew what I wanted and didn't look at the other cuts, but I will say that mine was a decagon and it was significantly higher (1.8x) than listed on the price chart. I'm chalking it up to the added labor and expertise of the cutter required to cut a decagon.

I have our zoom meeting today and I’m looking forward to it!

We are looking at 1.75-2ct so I’m expecting to wait a few months.

SamoyedScarlett

Rough_Rock
My SR is Eugene. I'm early in the process but he's been a pleasure to work with so far. He's especially fast to respond over WhatsApp. Always within 24 hours but usually under 2 hours if I message him during the day in SGT time.

Depending on the carat size you're looking for, you're actually not too early if you need it for Nov/Dec. I was quoted 5ish months for a 2.6-2.69ct. If you place an order now and are quoted the same, you're looking at a Novemberish estimate. And I'm not sure that takes into account transit time/delays due to customs.

We have our zoom with Eugene tonight. Excited!

SamoyedScarlett

Rough_Rock
I just asked about the duty free option and was sent this:

Wanted to share more details regards to the FTA;

As for the FTA , we usually do provide a COO & FTA form for Fedex to submit to the customs.
It's known as the Certificate of Origin + FTA application form.

However, it is to be noted that the FTA for diamond rings to the USA is not valid ultimately.
But how the USA customs works, they go by self-certification which means clients can try to submit the FTA doc, but ultimately it's up to customs approval, and not within yours or ours control.

I will explain more below on why it is not valid:
Giving you an idea of how this works, I'll try to break this down for you: Sorry it can be a little confusing.
To qualify for the waiver, certain rules of origin have to be met using some calculation methods.
1685365920354.png

Generally, we do have to identify the origins of our raw materials and sub them into these below categories.

To qualify: there are two ways:
1. Our raw materials are from either SG or USA. (if we are exporting to Australia, our raw materials can be qualified if they are from either SG or AUS).
In our case, we would have to check whether our raw materials are from either SG or US.

2. If they are not, in order for them to quality, certain conditions to have to be met: (which is the formula below)
In our case, we will be using a) Change in tariff classification (as our raw materials are not from US or SG)

1685365920400.png

Since the raw materials are not from US or SG, after using the formula, we do not qualify for the FTA.
(I'll explain to you further below)

The a) Change in tariff classic method requires the HS code of the final good to differ from the raw materials (non-orginating materials).

HS code of our final good (Decagon Ring): 7113.19.50.30
HS code of our setting: 7113.19.50.90

As there is no change in heading (7113), we have failed to qualify for FTA waiver.

This is where the question comes in, to be honest, the setting can originate from many countries.
Our settings (gold/platinum) is purchased in HK by our Mastercrafters but the origins cannot be fully proven, and if we cannot prove its origins, the no-change in header rule still remains. (7113)

But US customs works by self-certification, meaning that we can still try to apply (subjected to approval).
Hence, I'm going to 'assume' that our gold/platinum is from the USA (since our raw materials are from 'USA', it automatically qualifies for the waiver).

1685365920439.png

To be honest with you, among all clients that have requested for the FTA, about 15 of them now, only the first client Steven, as well as one other back in 2021-2022 got it but it was also rejected at first, and they went through 5-8 months of back and forth with the US customs, and have to pay a US 90 fee to get a case opened. Ultimately it was approved after 9 months, but they are the first and only clients that got it. So I'm guessing the US customs knows that it's not valid and subsequently, all the future clients got rejected.

So most likely we would have to pay the 5.5% when they import?

Any idea if that gets paid when you go to pick it up for before. Also is it worth even trying to get the exclusion under the FTA? Does that delay receiving the ring?

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
If I'm going to have to pay the tax, what is the best way to get the paperwork done in order to not slow anything down?

SamoyedScarlett

Rough_Rock

We put a deposit down for a decagon. So excited.

Only thing I am worried about is the duty. It seems complicated to get around.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results