shape
carat
color
clarity

J SI2 1.29ct - Opinions please! :-)

SparkleHunter

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I would love to hear your thoughts on this stone from Blue Nile. It has been confirmed as completely Eye Clean with no haziness either! I am happy enough to go with a J as it will be set in yellow gold - especially if the cut is beautiful! Thanks so much to all of your contributions to this website. The amount of advice and knowledge provided here is staggering - and you're all so kind to everyone!

Link - https://www.bluenile.com/ie/diamond-details/LD12300953?click_id=655027300

The stone scored 0.8 on the HCA. I'm based in Ireland and not the US so Blue Nile is the vendor I'll stick with. They have headquarters in Dublin! Including taxes/vat/duty etc the stone is coming in around $6500.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

SparkleHunter

Rough_Rock
Have since spotted another potential stone! James Allen this time - also an easy vendor to deal with in the EU! Bit smaller and about $500 cheaper. Clarity doesn't look as good but if it's eye clean then I'm happy! Unlike Blue Nile they didn't offer to physically inspect the stone in person to confirm eye cleanliness - the expert I spoke too thinks it will be because the inclusions are white.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-si2-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-7554997

cert.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this one from ja! Its an AGS 000 so it's going to be a great cut. Can you ask ja to confirm if it's eye clean or not?

SparkleHunter

Rough_Rock
I like this one from ja! Its an AGS 000 so it's going to be a great cut. Can you ask ja to confirm if it's eye clean or not?

I asked and she said "normally the customer just discusses the stone with an expert online" or something to that effect! Thank you so much for replying =)2

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm talking to them again now! Third option but looks a bit hazy to my eyes... not that I'm in anyway qualified to know!

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-si2-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-7233808

cert (1).jpeg
Garry Holloway has previously commented that SI2s with no obviously noticeable inclusions are at risk of being hazy, because the grade setting inclusion could be clouds (IIRC), so in his opinion, it was better to get an SI stone with an obvious (but hopefully not ugly) inclusion that you could definitely see and locate!

All IIRC, of course :)

SparkleHunter

Rough_Rock
Garry Holloway has previously commented that SI2s with no obviously noticeable inclusions are at risk of being hazy, because the grade setting inclusion could be clouds (IIRC), so in his opinion, it was better to get an SI stone with an obvious (but hopefully not ugly) inclusion that you could definitely see and locate!

I'd believe that 100%! But it's my mission to get an eye clean SI2! I know they're out there and the value they present is so brilliant. If there wasn't a returns policy I doubt I'd consider it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

At least the first one you can see where the inclusions are. The 2nd one I'm afraid about clouds also, although it doesn't say "clarity based on clouds not shown", which is good.

SparkleHunter

Rough_Rock
At least the first one you can see where the inclusions are. The 2nd one I'm afraid about clouds also, although it doesn't say "clarity based on clouds not shown", which is good.

The chap from Blue Nile said he preferred the first stone to the second - he agreed that it looked a bit hazy. Would you definitely discard the Blue Nile one in favour of the James Allen?

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
You are looking at some pretty stones!! Please keep us posted on your selection!

SparkleHunter

Rough_Rock
You are looking at some pretty stones!! Please keep us posted on your selection!

Thank you so much! I'm hoping my hunt for a beautiful J SI2 pays off!

Your own set in your profiler is magic! :love::love::love:

SparkleHunter

Rough_Rock
BlueNileJSI2.jpg

This is the HCA result on the Blue Nile J SI2 - not sure if thats helpful or not!

beigenarwhal

Rough_Rock
I'd believe that 100%! But it's my mission to get an eye clean SI2! I know they're out there and the value they present is so brilliant. If there wasn't a returns policy I doubt I'd consider it.

Just wanted to give you some encouragement - I recently purchased an eye-clean 1.2 J SI2 from HPD so they are DEFINITELY out there!! Although it's a bit of a cheat because it was a future stone (meaning purchased before it was cut) that ended up being graded as an SI1. Hoping you have the same good fortune!!

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much! I'm hoping my hunt for a beautiful J SI2 pays off!

Your own set in your profiler is magic! :love::love::love:
Thank you so much!! Mine is an I VS2. Got her in May!!

SparkleHunter

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to give you some encouragement - I recently purchased an eye-clean 1.2 J SI2 from HPD so they are DEFINITELY out there!! Although it's a bit of a cheat because it was a future stone (meaning purchased before it was cut) that ended up being graded as an SI1. Hoping you have the same good fortune!!

I just looked at the video you posted of your stone! It is incredible! One of the most beautiful stones I have seen on here! :love:

SparkleHunter

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much!! Mine is an I VS2. Got her in May!!

Well she is what dreams are made of! Beyond stunning.

I'm wondering if I should post a new thread and ask specifically for votes between all these stones. Was hoping to get a bit more input!

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I’m thinking (not an expert) that your stones all look like great options so no one is warning you to stay away. Believe me, they aren’t shy around here!! :dance:

SparkleHunter

Rough_Rock
I’m thinking (not an expert) that your stones all look like great options so no one is warning you to stay away. Believe me, they aren’t shy around here!! :dance:

I've read enough threads on here to know you're right and they definitely aren't shy!

I think both stones look good but I'm still torn! The Blue Nile one is bigger/more spread with a clean table. But the James Allen one is AGS 000 so does that automatically mean it's pretty much definitely a better cut than the GIA one I'm looking at... definitely the most stressful, confusing purchase I've made in a long time!! Visually i doubt there's a whole pile of difference between 1.22ct and 1.29ct. anyway.

I'm just rambling now! :lol: Thanks so much for chatting with me!

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I've read enough threads on here to know you're right and they definitely aren't shy!

I think both stones look good but I'm still torn! The Blue Nile one is bigger/more spread with a clean table. But the James Allen one is AGS 000 so does that automatically mean it's pretty much definitely a better cut than the GIA one I'm looking at... definitely the most stressful, confusing purchase I've made in a long time!! Visually i doubt there's a whole pile of difference between 1.22ct and 1.29ct. anyway.

I'm just rambling now! :lol: Thanks so much for chatting with me!

Maybe @lovedogs can answer this question!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe @lovedogs can answer this question!
I'd pretty much always go with an AGS 000 over a gia stone without advanced images. The blue Nile one looks promising, but without advanced images you cant be sure. Whereas the AGS stone you are 100% sure it's a great cut. My only concern is about it being eye clean, but I think it will be given the video.

Ps, there's definitely no visible size difference, so take that off the list of ways to differentiate them :)

SparkleHunter

Rough_Rock
I'd pretty much always go with an AGS 000 over a gia stone without advanced images. The blue Nile one looks promising, but without advanced images you cant be sure. Whereas the AGS stone you are 100% sure it's a great cut. My only concern is about it being eye clean, but I think it will be given the video.

Ps, there's definitely no visible size difference, so take that off the list of ways to differentiate them :)

I am taking your advice and going with the James Allen AGS 000! Thank you so much! Will report back with some photos when I get it! Still a little nervous with how the J color will look but from everything I've seen and read on here about J stones I think I'll love it! Thank you so so much to all of you for all your help! =)2

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In regards to the cut, I think either of the JA stones are the winners. You have an AGS000 stone with at least a computer generated ASET that is produced when AGS scans the stone. This is proving the stones have a great cut and aren't leaking light.

With the GIA stone, you have no such verification. Only the proportions to go off which rarely tell the whole story. Keep in mind there are 8 actual crowns and 8 pavilions in a round diamond. To get to a single value like we see on a report, GIA averages the 8 actual and then rounds to the nearest 0.50 on crown and nearest 0.10 on pavilion.

To further compound the issue the reported pavilion is 41 and things go a bit wonky at 41.2 and above. Depending on the precision of the cut, this means you could have 1 or more pavilions at 41.2 which may create issues/leakage. Granted we are making assumptions but with no ASET or IS we have to consider this as a possibility.

Also the crown is shallow at 32.5. If actual crown values shift towards 32 you begin to move more towards excellent than ideal.

Not to mention the personality of this still will yield more white light return and the 80 LGFs will provide more pin fire, as opposed to the bigger and bolder flashes of rainbow light you will get with either AGS000 stone because of the crown/pavilion and smaller LGF's.

Side by side I think you could discern a difference in personality. I am not certain what you may prefer but many seek the bigger bolder flashes.

So again, all other things being equal I'd choose one of the AGS000 stones.

In regards to returns, exchanges, etc how does JA compare? Being in Ireland and trying to find a unicorn SI2 tells me you may need to be prepared to exercise the process. Not that it's bad, but it's just a reality that I think you already realize.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparkleHunter

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to say to all of you who replied and helped me out thank you so much!! My stone arrived today and it is beautiful! It is perfectly eye clean to me I have zero issue with the colour - it even glows in the dark! Will try and get some snaps or a video up. I tried and failed miserably to get some nice photos. Thanks again to all of you! Can't wait to get it mounted now!! :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so so much for providing such a detailed response! Even though I've spent so much time trawling through this website trying to learn as much as I can I still only have a very basic understanding. I'm glad I took yours and lovedogs advice and went with the James Allen stone. It arrived today and is beautiful! Those big and bold flashes of rainbow light are incredible! I can't get over what a sparkle bomb it is! It's most definitely eye clean to me. I think I can MAYBE see an inclusion or two if I hold it right up to my eye but that doesn't even remotely bother me! Plus the thing is so sparkly it's impossible to see anything but light bouncing around!

Buying diamonds in Ireland is a very different business to the US. Competition isn't as fierce and high colours/clarity is pretty much all you'll see here with huge price tags. I was never shown SIs or anything lower than a G - generally the more a customer spends in any business the nicer the margin so I'm guessing there's a lot more profit in the higher grades so they don't bother with the lower ones and imply that anything lower in colour or clarity is hideous and not worth considering. A 1ct solitaire would easily set you back $9000 - $11000. And I'm talking very standard cut stones here. Of course it's up to each person to do their own research see what's out there/try to bargain. I visited plenty of jewellers and there was very little talk about cut - aside from "it has a great spread". A common tactic here seems to be to give diamonds the highest price possible then offer a discount/deal to clinch the sale - it makes it very difficult to properly determine a fair price when shopping around. We pay hefty enough tax/duties on imported stones but it still works out cheaper and gives you more options to shop online. Returns aren't free from Ireland with James Allen (about $50) but I was ok with that. It's actually pretty common for people to travel from Ireland to either New York or Antwerp to buy engagement rings. Of course the above is just one persons experience but I can safely say that if you know even a little about diamonds you will get a lot more for you money in the US!

You're very welcome! I am humbled that my ramblings could guide you to clarity. More importantly glad you found this site and took an interest in learning more about diamonds. IMO, part of the challenge in learning about cut is that all the various proportions have a relationship to one another so while you need to look at individual things, you also have to consider the whole. Mix in rounding and averaging and some of the techniques used to cut stones and you introduce more variables to consider. That's usually much more info than the average buyer cares to know or learn. So again, kudos for sticking with it and picking a beautiful diamond. Job well done!

Also thank you for sharing your buying experiences in Ireland. It helps remind all of us how different cultures really play into choices and can force limitations and other factors into the buying process.

If you decide to upgrade or buy another diamond, be sure to consider Crafted by Infinity (CBI). They specialize in precision heart and arrow (H&A) cut stones with AGS000 certs and are well known on this forum for their beauty.

CBI is located in Antwerp, Belgium and if I lived as close to you I would try to tour the facility at some point. Also, CBI has a few dealers near you. One is Fortrez and has a decent online presence but has a store in Belgium so helps with duties, returns, etc. Another is Precious and located in Ireland. They also have a couple of dealers in the UK.

https://craftedbyinfinity.com/web/locations/index.html

I only mention these as they too focus on beauty and variation in color, etc. Nothing beats a stone with a killer cut. I am very happy for you and can't wait to see some pictures of your gorgeous diamond!

Again, congratulations and God speed. :cool2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results