shape
carat
color
clarity

J. L. White Gemstones are up!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 9:30:46 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 12/11/2008 9:27:53 PM

Author: Linda W

Date: 12/11/2008 9:26:20 PM

Author: Chrono

My biggest question is whether it''s still available for sale!
9.gif

That 10ct tourmaline has a very pleasant colour. For a very large stone, yes, the saturation is light. However, it has less of a green tone than the smaller one. If only it had the same saturation, I''d be all over it.
11.gif

Chrono, email Jeff asap. He will get back to you tonight.

Already done, but no reply yet. I called him too but got his answering machine instead.
8.gif

Did you leave a message on his answering machine??? I did both HA!!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 9:27:33 PM
Author: coatimundi
Date: 12/11/2008 9:22:37 PM

Date: 12/11/2008 8:40:06 PM

Author: coatimundi

Date: 12/11/2008 7:33:07 PM

His prices are very reasonable!!!! Especially for the padparadscha, superior cutting and NO window. Jeff is The Man, as far as cutting and quality goes and you can''t beat his prices.

The Natural Sapphire Company had heated Pads that were twice the price, as the one I am getting. Also, they were cut poorly.

Yup, I agree. With Jeff White, you get what you pay for. I like his diversity in color--not every gem is ''textbook trade top color'' nor does it have to be--to be valuable, rare, and lovely. Fine color is up to the individual--that''s what''s so great about gems--there''s something for everyone, and I think he taps into that. And with colored stones, price is variable--that''s life.

Now, did anyone get the 10+ carat blue-green tourmaline? hmmm? hmmmm?

9.gif

Coati, I think that tourmaline has your name on it

9.gif

Oh I really wish! ...but I can''t
39.gif
(it would look good hanging out with your pad--they could hang out and drink Margaritas)

I loved the 6ishmm one so much too, but I''m glad BEG got it.
1.gif

Thanks Coatimundi, Tourmaline_Lover!

Coati, you should definitely get the tourmaline! If I had the money, I would totally have gotten both - I LOVE the colors. The 10 ct. tourm''s color is stunning...maybe not as saturated, but it reminds me of that incredible blue color you get in shallow ocean water...one of my fave colors of all time.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coatmundi,
If you love it that much, you should get it. I'm just trying to offer my objective opinion about it, but it's YOU that has to love it. As a gemologist, you're probably much more educated about fine color in colored gemstones than I am. I just like to offer honest and objective opinions so that people who are less educated than you in fine gemstones, don't make impulse purchases.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous. Rats for having to spend money on Christmas presents instead of on me.
9.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 10:20:44 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Coatmundi,

If you love it that much, you should get it. I''m just trying to offer my objective opinion about it, but it''s YOU that has to love it. As a gemologist, you''re probably much more educated about fine color in colored gemstones than I am. I just like to offer honest and objective opinions so that people who are less educated than you in fine gemstones, don''t make impulse purchases.

Oh, don''t worry, I don''t listen to other opinions when I want a gem.
9.gif

I take a different approach to "fine" color in that I don''t care to define it. Most color that I enjoy is not considered fine in particular gems.

In any case I love the gem, but for 4,500--I''d say I''d have to put that money towards an upgrade of my oval diamond--cause I really want a cushion...
27.gif
31.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I do know one thing about you for sure, you do love those seafoam green gems!!
emsmile.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are funny Coati. Cushion diamonds are beautiful. I will be blasted here, but I don''t really care for diamonds. I love Pads as you can tell. I do want an OEC though. I will make a 3 stone pendant now with my two little pads I have.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 10:32:36 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Well I do know one thing about you for sure, you do love those seafoam green gems!!
emsmile.gif

haha! I do! (seems like you do too!)

blue/green and orange/pink are my all time favorites. I like them to be slightly desaturated--a little muted. I''m really particular about that. Aren''t we all particular about something!
3.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 10:33:08 PM
You are funny Coati. Cushion diamonds are beautiful. I will be blasted here, but I don''t really care for diamonds. I love Pads as you can tell. I do want an OEC though. I will make a 3 stone pendant now with my two little pads I have.

36.gif

Oh I feel you on the diamonds! I love me some colored stones! But I reallyreally want an antique cushion or oec. And I''ve been fantasizing about trading in the oval.
heh heh
17.gif

An oec with two pads sounds fantastic!
36.gif
What size oec?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I was looking for between a .60 to a .80 for a ring an antique cushion or round OEC. I was going to have it set in a halo. I will probably do the same with the pendant. I will just have to look for designs when the time comes.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like fun! A ring and a pendant--lovely! Do you like antique or more modern settings?

I''ve been doing sketches of the cushion ring I want. (actually making artist hubby draw them for me-haha) I''m so wishy-washy about settings that when I do upgrade--I want it to last.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so glad you mentioned that Coati. I don''t know what setting I want for this special Pad. I do know I want the stone protected. I don''t think a bezel will do because it will hide the light from the stone.

Maybe a halo? That is what I am thinking. I nicked my other 2.25 carat Pad and I don''t want to damage this one. You can''t see the nick, but I know it is there.

What do you think? I definitely will be going to Whiteflash. I just have to decide on a design though, I don''t want to rush into anything.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Yes, take your time with this very special beauty. I think a non bezel halo would be lovely. How fun to muse on it. Do you draw?

I can see your pad with a delicate halo and a delicate shank. What width do you usually like for the shank? I think WF will do an amazing job with your stone. Their custom designs always look so clean and well done.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like a little thicker shank, not too thick though. That is what my other pad is.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Claw prongs? Diamonds on the shank?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH yes and yes!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

3 sides of pave? one side? pave on gallery? Graduated shank maybe?--that could be cool!

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
Just have to chime in that I received an email from Jeff that I have "the right of first refusal" for the unheated 3+ ct. sapphire. I have been looking for a 3+ ct. sapphire for my e-ring. This is what Jeff said about the sapphire:

"I would classify this one as a ''medium'' blue (a pretty worthless description, I realize). In sunlight, it is a very bright, lively blue. It does exhibit a slight shift to violet in some forms of light (fluorescent, notably). Clarity is excellent, and the specially-designed barion oval helps preserve carat weight while not compromising performance. I created this particular oval design specifically for this sapphire."

I don''t know the depth % as it looks pretty deep.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2008 6:56:13 PM
Author: brendaman
Just have to chime in that I received an email from Jeff that I have 'the right of first refusal' for the unheated 3+ ct. sapphire. I have been looking for a 3+ ct. sapphire for my e-ring. This is what Jeff said about the sapphire:

'I would classify this one as a 'medium' blue (a pretty worthless description, I realize). In sunlight, it is a very bright, lively blue. It does exhibit a slight shift to violet in some forms of light (fluorescent, notably). Clarity is excellent, and the specially-designed barion oval helps preserve carat weight while not compromising performance. I created this particular oval design specifically for this sapphire.'

I don't know the depth % as it looks pretty deep.
Does Jeff provide gem lab reports with his stones? If it's unheated, or a stone that he's giving a classification, like a pad (vs. a pink sapphire), I would like to see that classified by the GIA or AGTA before I purchased it. JMO. I'm sure he's honest and trustworthy, I just feel that for that kind of money, he should offer a lab cert. I think for tourmalines and garnets, it's not really as necessary, but for high priced sapphires and other precious stones, it would be a good idea.

I'm not a sapphire expert, but it does show some dichroism from the side, and is a bit darker grey on the pavillion vs face up. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing since I'm not a gemologist, but it is something I did note with the stone. In any case, I'm glad you're doing your homework on this stone. If you do get it, please post pics. Perhaps you can buy it, and then if you don't like it in person, you can send it back easily. That's another thought.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brendaman: I am sure the sapphire is going to be gorgeous!!! With the color change it will be fantastic. I would not worry about the depth of the stone. The Pad I just bought from him is cut the same way. We call it the "pregnant guppy" cut. My other pad is also cut that way. The color on my other pad is gorgeous and the side view is absolutely stunning, as I am sure my new one from Jeff will be. I just know you will be very happy with it.

Tourmalinelover: If you read Jeff''s website, you will see why he does not provide certificates. I trust him totally. Believe me, I know a Pad from a Pink Sapphire!!! Ha!!! I do not need a certificate from him to prove that. If I need further proof, I can send it to a lab myself. Jeff is very well known and trustworthy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2008 7:25:04 PM
Brendaman: I am sure the sapphire is going to be gorgeous!!! With the color change it will be fantastic. I would not worry about the depth of the stone. The Pad I just bought from him is cut the same way. We call it the 'pregnant guppy' cut. My other pad is also cut that way. The color on my other pad is gorgeous and the side view is absolutely stunning, as I am sure my new one from Jeff will be. I just know you will be very happy with it.

Tourmalinelover: If you read Jeff's website, you will see why he does not provide certificates. I trust him totally. Believe me, I know a Pad from a Pink Sapphire!!! Ha!!! I do not need a certificate from him to prove that. If I need further proof, I can send it to a lab myself. Jeff is very well known and trustworthy.
Linda,
I know you're very enthusiastic about Jeff, and I'm sure he's extremely trustworthy. With all due respect, I just think the best consumer is an educated consumer. As for me, I know virtually nothing about pads except that they must have orange and pink in them. I also know they're very valuable gems, so I personally would want a cert, but that's just me. I find it important to know that my gems are classified by a well respected lab. For lesser gems, not that much. I have many stones with no classification, but for example, if I were to buy a valuable colored diamond, I don't care what the dealer states, or what I personally think about the stone, I would want that GIA lab report. It really helps to give your stone value. JMO. No offense.

ETA: I did not know that Jeff does not provide certs with his stones. I will have to review his website.

Okay, he does not provide certs with his stones, but there is a 7 day inspection period. If you do get a cert, and it takes longer than 7 days to get the cert back, will he still refund the money? In all that time, you're responsible for the stone since it's in your hands. My contention with this is that you should be able to get a cert through Jeff for his more expensive stones, especially if he wants thousands of dollars for a gemstone. It's a courtesty for the high price. DBL for example provides certs with almost all his diamonds and gems, and if I wanted one, I could pay a fee, but he would do it and be responsible for obtaining it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results