shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Your Opinion on a Sapphire E-Ring (Long Background/Story)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
Need your opinion on a Sapphire ring as my possible e-ring. Will probably take my bf this weekend to see it. It is a heated sapphire, and the diamonds are G/VS2. The diamonds really shine on this setting. I also provided my handshot taken from the store (sorry, it''s from my Blackberry, so not very good quality). I sent the pic to my sister, and she said the ring looked too bing for my fingers/hands.

(BACKGROUND ON STORE: Shah and Shah is not really a B&M as their offices are in an office building in downtown DC. (I found them through the Washingtonian Magazine which has this to say about the store: "It''s not easy to find--on the sixth floor of an office building--but in this shop, run by third-generation jeweler Michael Shah and his wife, Faith Pettit-Shah, you get attentive service and a great education. The selection is small but select and includes lustrous pearls, Skagen watches, and Pettit-Shah''s delicate creations using such stones as peridot and tanzanite. Even in the office suite''s fluorescent light, this stuff shines.". A search of this "store" on PS did not produce anything.)

WHAT I REALLY WANT: I really like Inanna''s e-rings but I can''t find a similar setting in the DC area, so I thought I''d have one made (possibly by Quest). However, my bf thinks that this style/setting is too "blingy" and bordering on "ghetto bling". So, we have a big difference of opinion here!! He still wants me to buy a ring I "LOVE", but he would like to at least "LIKE" the ring as well, and would prefer to "LOVE" it. Every time we saw something we both agreed was something we really liked (maybe even love), it was beyond our budget of $10-15K. Since he is going to be the one buying the ring, I think I have to re-think and compromise on the bling I want.

So, with the above story, would appreciate your opinion of the ring from Shah & Shah. The owner is actually offering the ring at a lower price than listed online, so my bf is tempted to buy it, IF I LOVE IT. It may be the ring I and he like for the budget we have, but is that enough???

SHOULD WE KEEP SHOPPING? I think I would find Missrocks/Inanna''s setting/style in NYC, so we were thinking of taking a long weekend trip to the Diamond District (armed with places recommended by PSers). Perhaps, this would help us learn what is best. But I guess I risk having the Shah ring being purchased by someone else. We may end up still having to have my e-ring custom made, but may go with Shah & Shah, rather than Quest. I heard great things about Quest from PSers, but they haven''t been able to source a sapphire for me yet (they say that one of their sources is closed in December). We''re not in a hurry, even though we''re on Month #3 in our e-ring search, and it feels like I''ve tried on dozens of rings.

BTW, I saw some JB Star rings over the weekend (Mervis was having a Trunk show). They were quite expensive and well made, but the Shah & Shah ring seemed to be equally well made (and I''ve looked at it under a 10x microscope), so I think they would do a good job on a custom piece, if we decide to go that route.
Sorry, for this long-winded story/background, but I guess my mind is a jumble at the moment.

ShahRingCut1.jpg

*Danielle*

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I love it! Is their such a thing as too big?
31.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely adore the ring - it looks sensational. I''m afraid I know nothing about Shah & Shah so can''t help there. I wonder if the problem for your OH is the general size rather than the blinginess? Would you compromise on the same setting but a smaller stone? The other option is to convince your OH and settle for a very slim wedding ring. Good luck with your choice.

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s gorgeous!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks gorgeous as well! The color is just divine!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous! It is a bit big/blingy for *my* taste but I am not the one who is wearing it.

Just make sure you have all the details on the stone, i.e., the certifications, origin, etc. so you can make sure it's a fair price.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
It looks beautiful. Good luck with your decision.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
That is a gorgeous stone. Love the blue. It depends what you want. That is a ring that is not going to take a lot of abuse, all that gorgeous pave has to be babied. What are your thoughts on a wedding band? Holy acreage, that takes up most of the space on your finger...the blue had me mezmerized, hadn't noticed your finger there. I would take that sapphire in an instant, but how comfortable are you going to be with it. Oh, and the page doesn't say if its WG or Plat...weird. That of course would impact the "dealworthyness" of your new price.
ETA: Just staring at that blue. Really wonderful. Not even a tiny bit "ghetto" unless he means European Jewish gentry of the WWII period. This is a totally classic piece. I am envious. more photos are necessary!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
That ring is gorgeous!! I don''t think it''s too big at all!!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 1:45:15 PM
Author:brendaman
my bf thinks that this style/setting is too ''blingy''...SHOULD WE KEEP SHOPPING?...I saw some JB Star rings over the weekend
Get a JBStar ring! They do very nice work, and it sounds like you gave your bf a fair chance to save some money
2.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
It's really beautiful. The blue is stunning.

Question for you though: Would the 2 of you ever consider something custom? Your budget would allow for it, and perhaps you could end up with something that both of you LOVE. It's pretty hard, I must admit, when you've got the one on your finger already, and they're talking about "marking it down" for you....but, on the other hand, to have a custom made just for you is something SO SPECIAL.

Have you looked through the coloured stones e-rings/eye-candy thread? There are so many different ones there, you may see something that catches your eye.

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy the journey and end up with exactly the perfect one for your hand.

LS

ma re

Ideal_Rock
The ring is not too big, and it''s very nice. It is on the large(r) side, but not a record breaker or something. However, considering it holds a slightly bigger stone which is surrounded by many tiny diamonds, it wouldn''t be a good idea for something worn daily. Larger stones are easier to hit against things and melee is fragile by itself. That''s why most e-rings are a bit smaller. Of course, if money is not a problem (in case of serious damage), there''s less to think about.

Considering your worries about getting the right ring, I first have to say it''s nice that you''re thinking about your BF''s opinion and care about will you both like it (and this is coming from another guy
1.gif
). Looks like you guys are already working on things like compromise, cooperation, understanding and respect, which is great, eventhough "it''s just a ring". I also think it might be a good idea to take the custom route, and have something made which will include some symbolism that you''ll both understand, maybe something that''ll remind you on things you went through together during your relationship. It would make it that much dear to you both. The ring is, after all, a sign of your unity and having it custom made is the best sollution for an indecisive future bride
2.gif

brendaman

Shiny_Rock

Thank you sooooo much for everyone's responses. It has really helped and comforted me in these confusing times of trying to decide on my e-ring. My bf is going to come with me on Saturday to see the Shah & Shah ring. I’ve included a compilation of pics and details of the ring with this post.

Loving Diamonds: Would I compromise on the same setting, but smaller stone? I suppose I’m torn between having the sapphire surrounded by diamonds or having the diamonds as side stones, preferably half moons.

I found a JB Star ring (at a Mervis trunk show) which my bf and I liked (see pic below from their website) included on this post (sorry didn’t have a chance to take pics when we were at the store). The ring was quite nice, and the sapphire (heated) was a nice color and cut, but I felt the size of the sapphire was just a touch smaller than what I’d like, even though I do prefer the oval shape, compared to the cushion. It seemed like the diamonds were outshining the sapphire, even though the sapphire was VERY nice.

Swimmer: Hmmm, that is a great point about such a ring having to be babied, but I think I’m resigned to having an e-ring that I would have to be extra careful with. With regard to the wedding band, we’re going the unconventional route of not wearing one. He’s allergic to all things metal (yes, including platinum and titanium), so the compromise is that I can have a relatively blingy e-ring.

LostSapphire: I’m praying hard that you’ll see the doc soon and sending all my good karma. Will even send my puppy, but she hates flying.

2.gif

Have I looked through the coloured stones e-rings/eye-candy thread? I think I have it memorized. Name a ring . . . I can tell you which page it is on. We are strongly leaning on having my e-ring custom made. I think I/we want to go to NYC some time soon and look at more rings to decide what to do as a custom e-ring. I just hope seeing lots of rings won’t confuse me even more.

Ma re: Many thanks for the kind words. Now, I’m beginning to consider the JB Star ring. What I think of as understated, may be a better e-ring for daily wear. Ugh! More confusion and things to think about!! Shah & Shah did say I would have to be careful with the ring. I was going to wear it daily (to work and such), but not to the gym or anything like that.

THE RING WE BOTH LOVED. Now, I have also included with this post pics, albeit blurry ones, of the ring my bf and I both fell in love with at Bailey, Bank & Biddle. We went into the store (at a mall . . .yuk!) about 3 months ago now, just to see what they had and looked at the sapphire rings and were about to walk out, saying we really wanted a bigger sapphire (they had mostly 2 cts and less), when the salesperson (a GIA graduate) said they do have one ring in the vault. We’ll probably look at this one again, if it's still there, but it’s several thousand $ over our budget for the ring.

Really, how does one decide which ring in only a few months.
33.gif
Last night, I told my bf that perhaps I should just leave him now to make the final decision, and he said, “no way!”
3.gif

ETA: I guess the JB Star data got lost in the pasting of data (still new at this). Here are the stats: Ring by JB Star (in white gold?); Center Sapphire: 2.63 ct. (Oval); Side Diamonds: 0.18 ct (Princess); 0.25 ct. tw. (Round); 0.77 ct. tw. (Half Moon).

PC Ring Comp.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
brendaman - I really think that if there is a ring you both love - which it looks like there is, you should try to get as close to that as possible.
1.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I like JB Star ring the best, cause it seems to have the best balance and proportion. Side stones are just the right size when compared to the center stone, and shank is the right size (widht) compared to sides, so there''s a nice flow and graduation of sizes. You might not find that important now, but it is when the ring is viewed in less than perfect lighting conditions that don''t flatter the sapphire - that way you still have a nice ring eventhough the colors are not at their best.

I think it also does the best job (of the three) protecting the diamonds and might be easier to wear because of that. Of course, sapphire is more exposed in that one and BBB ring, but it''s a durable stone and I''d probably worry more about zillion diamonds falling out, than about sapphire.

I also think JB ring would better suit your fingers, cause they''re slightly wider and shorter (don''t get me wrong or anything), and S&S ring would probably better suit longer and more delicate fingers cause it''s shank looks thinner.

If money is an issue, maybe you can have the ring custom made in the same design, but with diamonds of slightly lower color and clarity, or by using white gold (or even palladium) instead of platinum. Clarity is not crucial when it comes to melee, and by using yellow gold you could downgrade the color as well without it being obvious.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are all gorgeous and the sapphs appear to have a nice color to them. Honestly, it really is a much harder process to find that perfect sapphire than it is to find a diamond. There is so many factors that come into play. That said, I am sure you could stay within budget going to custom made route. On the plus side, Oval shaped sapphires are easier to find than any other shape. I would take your time and find a ring that you BOTH absolutley LOVE whether it be custom made of pre-made. Don''t feel like you have to settle...you will wear it forever!! I look forward to seeing what you choose. I say all this because It took me over 6 months to find a sapphire and an additional 3 months to find a custom setting.............(which should be arriving soon!)
36.gif

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Maybe ask Shah & Shah if you can have the sapphire unmounted and set in a simpler setting? That color is sooo yummy!

For your man, has he tried Tungsten Carbide? I believe it''s actually a ceramic, so he might not be allergic to it. I have a band I wear when camping/traveling, it takes a lot of abuse and still looks great. You can pick them up cheap on ebay (I think mine was $30), and if it doesn''t work then you''re not out much money.

tessari

Shiny_Rock
Brenda--I am also in the sapphire e-ring shopping process and I have the same price range as you. I have small hands, short fingers- but although my finger size is a 4.25 the 3 carat sapphires didn''t look huge on me in person. I think I''m a 4.25 because my knuckle barely sticks out but my finger is still pretty fleshy. Also, I haven''t been trying on rings with paves or half moons--just pave bands so the pave around the stone makes it look big. Anyway, my favorite of the rings you posted

Ma re--you said that thinner shanks look better on longer fingers than short--i have only been trying on really thin rings, but don'' mind how they look-- should i try thicker ones?

Swimmer--that was too funny!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 11:50:06 AM
Author: tessari
Brenda--I am also in the sapphire e-ring shopping process and I have the same price range as you. I have small hands, short fingers- but although my finger size is a 4.25 the 3 carat sapphires didn''t look huge on me in person. I think I''m a 4.25 because my knuckle barely sticks out but my finger is still pretty fleshy. Also, I haven''t been trying on rings with paves or half moons--just pave bands so the pave around the stone makes it look big. Anyway, my favorite of the rings you posted

Ma re--you said that thinner shanks look better on longer fingers than short--i have only been trying on really thin rings, but don'' mind how they look-- should i try thicker ones?

Swimmer--that was too funny!
Well, that depends on the ring style if you ask me. In general, the more size you have for a ring (the longer the finger) the more suitable wider rings will look on you. However, I was refering to this particular ring (the one from the original post) that holds one stone surrounded by a halo. A thin shank on that one further emphasizes the size of the center and makes it look larger than it really is, due to diference in size between the two sections, and that''s something I don''t find pleasing on short fingers cause rings look a little bulky. That''s why I think the one with wider shank suits her better, cause a) it doesen''t make the center look too large and b) gives the ring a more horizontal instead of vertical feel. Now, if it were a band type ring I''d strongly suggest a more narrow one, simply because there''s not a lot of room on the finger - but with these kinds of rings the relation between the center and the shank creates a sense (or lack of) harmony.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Brenda!

There's a blue, unheated, oval, Sri Lanka 3.24 ct. sapphire that was just posted on Gem Scoop (Jeff White) that I think you might NEED TO BUY!!! Then go custom for the setting.
9.gif
If you're going to be in NYC anyway, perhaps you could make an appointment with Leon Mege?
2.gif
18.gif

You need to subscribe to Gem Scoop on Jeff White's website in order to see the beauty! It's really stunning! http://www.whitesgems.com/gemscoop.htm

Good luck!

ETA: You can go here for a peek at the beauties: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-jeff-white-drop-drool-drool.101948/

Meowtown2

Rough_Rock
HI Brenda! I totally agree with LostSapphire, Ianna and Cushioncutnut when they said you shoud go custom. The right sapphire is really difficult to find, so I think geting a loose stone and then designing a custom setting will really allow you to get exactly what you want! It might take a while, but it will be well worth it in the end!

If you''re having trouble finding a stone, the sites I found the most useful were the Natural Sapphire Co (I think I told you in my SMTR thread that I got my stone there). If you call them in advance you can call up quite a few stones to view (I think you said you could make it to NYC?). I also loved cherrypicked''s gorgeous sapphires. Last but certainly not least, I spoke with Jeff White as well and was seriously thinking about having him cut one from the rough. He is a really nice and professional and will try to source exactly what you''re looking for. I would have gone with him had I not found my stone at the NSC.

Good luck with your search and don''t get too discouraged with the time it takes (I definitely did!). I''m sure you''ll find something absolutely stunning!

PS-I just noticed that the Jeff White sapphire has been sold...did you get it?!?!

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 10:05:05 AM
Author: Meowtown2

PS-I just noticed that the Jeff White sapphire has been sold...did you get it?!?!

The oval 3.24 ct blue sapphire that was just announced on Gem Scoop seems to still be available.

There''s another 1.79 ct blue sapphire, which I also love(d), in the current selection that does seem to have sold.
7.gif
Here''s the one that sold: http://www.whitesgems.com/gems/SAP011.htm.

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
My goodness. Missing a few hours of PS, and you miss a lot. No, unfortunately, I was not the one who bought it. Where (on Gemscoop) does it say it was sold? I just emailed Jeff White, telling him I''m interested in it, but heard it was sold. That price is actually is much less than NSC and cherrypicked.

Re. NYC. I''m hoping to go with bf for the Xmas holiday (arriving on Xmas day). We haven''t yet made definite plans and am wondering whether stores will be open on Dec. 26th. Once we know our definite plans (perhaps this weekend), I''ll start emailing NSC, cherrypicked, etc.

Re. going the custom route. Yes, I think this would be the best for us. Seeing/trying on a lot of rings in NYC might help us decide on the setting. And we might find the stone, the ring, etc. I do think we would prefer to have the ring custom made locally. PSers have good experience with Quest in Northern Virginia which is about 40 minutes away from us, and we''ve already met with Pete, but he has not been able to get a stone for us. One of his sources is closed for the entire December. I''m kind of leaning towards having it made by Shah & Shah as I really liked many of their custom jobs (they''ve been doing 3-5 custom jobs per week and a lot of the rings on their website is custom), plus they are more convenient for us being in downtown DC. We could also have them source the stone for us as I really liked the sapphires he''s chosen for his jewelry. Did anyone see sapphs on this bracelet and this ring? Don''t really like the ring and couldn''t really use the bracelet, but I saw them both in person, and the sapphs were stunning!

Ma re: I do agree with your comment. I keep telling my bf that I''d like a ring which wouldn''t let my finger look too pudgy. I was thinking if I go with the S&S halo ring, I could decide to go with a wedding band (remember, we were not going to do wedding bands), maybe an eternity band style, assuming one could seemlessly fit underneath the halo, making for a wider shank below the large halo. I''ll have to try one on with the S&S ring and see whether that would correct the proportions. Do u think that would help?

Meowtown2: Love, love your ring!!

Inanna: Have pics of your e-ring in a Powerpoint as one of my model settings for my e-rng!

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 12:07:15 PM
Author: brendaman

Inanna: Have pics of your e-ring in a Powerpoint as one of my model settings for my e-rng!
Ha! Again, I''m sorry my pictures are sub-par... I was about to buy a new camera as a Christmas present to myself (mainly for the purpose of posting better pics here). I bought a necklace instead
11.gif
9.gif
Whoops!

Seriously, though, I will just die if you get that big beautiful sapphire from Jeff White. Please keep us updated as soon as you get a response.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 12:07:15 PM
Author: brendaman

Ma re: I do agree with your comment. I keep telling my bf that I''d like a ring which wouldn''t let my finger look too pudgy. I was thinking if I go with the S&S halo ring, I could decide to go with a wedding band (remember, we were not going to do wedding bands), maybe an eternity band style, assuming one could seemlessly fit underneath the halo, making for a wider shank below the large halo. I''ll have to try one on with the S&S ring and see whether that would correct the proportions. Do u think that would help?
I''m sure it can''t hurt. If you don''t mind something a bit unusual, maybe you could get a double band with a space in the middle (between the rows), so that you can sneak your e-ring inside and have a small band on either side of it''s shank when worn. With a large halo around a substantial stone, there''s more than enough room
2.gif

I''m glad you agree with me on the subject of proportions, cause it''s not just important to find a nice ring, it''s also about finding the one that''ll complement your hands. Now, I know we can''t all be hand models (myself included - long, bony fingers with large knuckles...not pretty), but the right ring sure makes a diference. People too often choose rings the same way they choose clothes - in styles and sizes they''d LIKE to fit in, instead of the ones they actually do fit in
9.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I love it - I don''t think its too big/blingy at all.

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
Inanna: Many thanks for the heads up on Jeff''s new gems. Because of your alert, I am first in line to view this beauty! Already have left message for him!

I''m soooo excited. I don''t know how I''ll sleep for the next few days!!!???

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
OMG! That would be AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results