shape
carat
color
clarity

J Color Stones in Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Along the same lines of F&I''s thread in the FAQ regarding images and comments of those who own J colored diamonds set into platinum, I would love to see J stone owners post their images, comments and comparisons here.

I know PQ has her amazing white J...but is that a fluke or do most J owners with stones in platinum feel that it shows up pretty white? Cut helps?

For those who have them, how did you end up purchasing a J stone?

1.gif

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I probably don''t belong in this thread because mine is not a J. I have a 2.56 K VS1 H&A set in platinum, and it faces up as white as can be! It constantly amazes me everytime I look down at my hand. As far as how I ended up with it, I wanted the biggest and best cut stone that we could afford, and I wasn''t willing to sacrifice clarity, so going with a K that I found on GOG''s site was the best option. I''m so glad I did!

2[1].56 029a-s.jpg

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!! That''s a K! It''s beautiful, I''d never have guessed that!! Thanks for posting about it Mrs. Jam.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
K''s are fine too and I LOVE your ring! :)

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, only those set in platinum?

diamond island

Rough_Rock
Here is my J eightstar 2.075 ct set in platium. From pavillion you can definately see the faint yellow. But face up I cant appreciate any yellow, cut may matter? I think it does.

Ering crop 2.jpg

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Another K in WG-Sevens'' 2 ct K, Si1.
1.gif

box9.2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
or white gold ...aka white metals...because sometimes it is noted that J in platinum will show color.

So far that doesn''t appear to be the case in any of the pictures posted! The K''s look white too!

Please post others!

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I am of the opinion that Rhodium plated w/g or rhodium plated platinum are the whitest and tht this lack of colour actually improves the diamonds colour.

Gold can have a negative affect both on the actual colour of the diamond and in the overall look.

I have never given metal that much cudos to suspect it might pale the diamond in comparisonl, whiter or not.

All I know is that a better coloured diamond will make the another diamond look off colour, side by side.

I am a bit of purist when it comes to colour but those rings look great and it just shows what difference a good cut can make.

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
0.71ct J Regent with strong blue fluor.
12.gif

Before in 14k yellow gold setting,

newcollage.jpg

After in 18k white gold setting,

noflashcollage.JPG

Any hint of yellow, face up or down? Nah, not to me!
11.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
My 1.26, VS2, J New Line ACA set in plat. Negligible Flour.
1.gif

Just had to be in the company of all these other beautiful rings!!
2.gif
9.gif

PQs1.26JinPlat.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
tomatoe i love the reprised version of your ring in the white gold...very lovely!!

did you notice ANY difference at all between having it set in YG vs WG and the insinuation of any color?

PQ...do you have more images of your ring...aka head on? What about that WF collage they did before they sent it to you? I always love those. hehee.

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
Here is my 1.48 J SI1 Faint Flour AGS1 diamond in platinum.

jamie3025.jpg

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
Another picture

wfpavebezel4275843w0758439025.JPG

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
Ok last one.

jamie8w3.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
marriahlyn, I just have to tell you again how much I love your ring!

I remember watching your stone at SuperbCert when it was on their site and I SO wanted it and then when you got it and put it in that stunning setting, I was even MORE jealous! It''s really stunning.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a collage that Brian Gavin put together for me before White Flash shipped the ring.
1.gif

WFRingCollage.JPG

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
A good head on shot that Brian also took.
1.gif

My1.26caratJab.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I really love Marriah''s ring as well. Wish I had thought about adding melee to my setting when I had my ring done. I love the way the ring fits. It feels lush on. And the stone sits low so I don''t bang it on every thing comin'' and goin''. Had that problem in the past with a high set ring. This one is very well weighted too. I don''t have problems with spin and the diamond sits in the center of my finger almost all the time by itself. But I really could do with a bit more bling.
3.gif

Beautiful ring, Marriah!!
30.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mara I can see your wheels turning...
21.gif
Will your ring hold a 2 carat J stone???
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HA HA Josh I don''t know what you are talking about! This thread is purely for educational purposes!
9.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2005 10:13:22 PM
Author: Mara
HA HA Josh I don''t know what you are talking about! This thread is purely for educational purposes!
9.gif
Mara, are you seriously thinking of changing your stone? What color is it currently?
I will tell you that my current is the "warmest" stone I''ve had; I had a D, then an H with flour (so appeared like a G), and now my current of which I''ll call an I (because it was EGL H). AND, while it looks fine mounted in plat, and the side stones were selected to match, so it is a seamless flow across the three stones... I must tell you that this is really too low to go for me, now that I''ve lived with it. I suppose if I started at this point, it might be different, but after having more colorless stones it does really bother me.
If there was one thing that bothered me most about my stone, it would be the color. The color bothers me above and beyond the clarity, and above and beyond the cut.
So, I debate in my mind quite often as to which I''d rather have: the larger stone with the more "tinted" color, or the smaller stone being colorless. I guess I had the colorless stone and wasn''t happy because it wasn''t large enough, so now I have the opposite quandry. I suppose I will have to persevere until I reach the ideal combination!!!
In the meantime, I will have to live with it, as this stone won''t be upgraded for some time. I suspect I''ll wear it for 10 years or so before making the move (hey, that''s only 8 years from May!!!).
My point is that IF you are thinking of upgrading to larger, but going down on color to achieve it, REALLY give it SERIOUS thought.
Best,
Headlight

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2005 7:14:30 PM
Author: Mara
tomatoe i love the reprised version of your ring in the white gold...very lovely!!
did you notice ANY difference at all between having it set in YG vs WG and the insinuation of any color?

Mara, I think I am just too easygoing (also my stone is great, helps alot:) to really notice anything with regards to colour, in yellow and now in white gold. I even put it side by side with a CZ from Garry (All CZ''s are supposed to be D?) and yes there is a difference but not a "yuck yellow" difference. Maybe I have a high J and the fluor helps a great deal of course, who knows but I love my stone and if it wasn''t for the J, it wouldn''t have been mine. Maybe I am blind, but really whatever, cos it doesn''t bother me, I know my friend with well-cut high colour, clarity stones is constantly admiring mine. She too is amazed at how great it looks, so yeah. And I also think it''s great as an educational stone, if I talk the talk, I should also walk the walk.
11.gif

Was that very helpful at all?
40.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's more... Stephan's 3 carat M H&A (link to thread)

Looking at the pics already lined up... they beg the question if these color grades can even be shown in photographs at all.

As much as I know, it's pretty hard to and they are not at all "obvious" in person either. Even on a line up of rings - unless the differences are several grades and the stones are pretty big.

There must be a lineup (Garry's ?) like this with rounds placed culet up somewehere on Pricescope. If there was anything like this for ideal rounds face up, please let me know. My hunch is that such an exibit would be very hard to achieve and instantly contestable (for lighting, camera, color balance). Not sure if all cats are black in the dark, but I am affraid diamonds are all colorless online.
31.gif

Not that I could possibly maintain that there is a serious, substantial difference between GIA's color grades. The system seems really meant for hair splitting. Perhaps the "colorless" and "near colorless" groups make sense to my eyesight, but the finer splits get definitely lost for all practical purpose (practical as in jewelry wearing - not pricing, 'cause there the differences start showing).

Besides, the less expensive color grades get all the short sticks: the grades themselves are wider (=less certain), cut gets worse, most stones don't even get graded. And yellow gold that suits them best is not as much in favor. Somehow, the H&A M that started this post doesn't remind me of "low color" - there's just too much good going for it, no ?

Guess the point may not be all that clear. In short... You know fancy color rounds do not hold color well, and it's all in the cut. Surely the same shape doesn't "hold color" of any grade, not just fancy. Ever wondered how does this work ?
34.gif
I hope one of the experts will pick this one up.

PS: Of the diamond tutorials I know of, just one (DBL) has an attempted line up of color grades. And I am saying "attempted" cause the stones are not all in the same picture. In the meantime, here's the LINK to David's fancy lineup. Below is a shortened version. Despite conversion to JPG and what not, the overview seems pretty candide to me. The original webpage has them better.

DKcolors.JPG

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I''ve been admiring those J Expert Selection stones at Whiteflash! IF you were to consider one, would you be considering the 1.61 or the 1.65 or the 2 carat one? Just a hypothetical question, of course!

I must say that having an I stone now as well as a G, I don''t think I would want to go lower than an I in a larger stone. In fact I don''t think I would want to go lower than an H. I can see the yellowish tint in my I from the side while my G is WHITE. Having said that, I am a size junkie and so maybe I''d have to give it a try.

PQ, I love your ring too! I would love to see yours with a narrow eternity band on either side of it. It would be like the opposite of Marriahlyn''s.

PreCiouSJeWeL920

Rough_Rock
Here is my J color 3.16 ct in RC platinum setting ring. I love it in every sense. I have another ring that has a diamond in E color. I could not tell the color difference in almost all lighting conditions. I will post a comparison picture when I get home. I had doubt about whether I made a good choice when I bought it. But not anymore after I get this new ring. The color difference is so minimal and it is not worth to sacrifice the size for it. Of course other people would swear by their "D"s.
18.gif

Jring.jpg

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mara for starting this thread. I''m considering possibily getting an I/J instead of G/H to either a) save the BF money or (b) get a bigger stone.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
PQ, I love your ring too! I would love to see yours with a narrow eternity band on either side of it. It would be like the opposite of Marriahlyn''s.

That''s what I''m leaning toward. Although, at 2mm each for bands plus the 7mm of my ring, they will be rather jam packed to get on my finger. But what a sight it is with 2 thin bands. Guess I''d just have to learn to deal with it!!
3.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2005 10:10:43 PM
Author: Colored Gemstone Nut
Mara I can see your wheels turning...
21.gif
Will your ring hold a 2 carat J stone???
2.gif
Precisely what popped into my head. There is a method to this girl''s madness.
9.gif

Skyblue

Rough_Rock
Mara .......... great post. I was just thinking last night that I would love to see everyone''s rings in J in platinum.
1.gif

PreciousJ ............ PLEASE post that comparison. I would LOVE to see the difference.

Headlight......you gave me something to think about. (Not that I have anything above an I).
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results